Columbus, OH - 05/19/18 - Tupa Bowl IV

kevincabarello

WHAT: Tecmo Columbus - TUPA BOWL IV - Tecmo Super Bowl (NES) Tournament

WHEN: Saturday, May 19th, 2018  (Doors Open at 10am, Tournament Games begin at 11am)

WHERE: Grandad's Pizza and Pub - 4093 Trueman Blvd Hilliard OH 43215

BUY-IN: $25. Buy-in Includes a Tournament T-Shirt (Register by April 20th to Guarantee Shirt Size)

REGISTRATION: Located in the "Registration" tab on the TecmoColumbus.com website. Fill out the form as well as clicking the "Buy Now" button located just below the form. Registrations are considered incomplete without both the form and the payment completed. This is to help tournament administrators determine the number of entrants, t-shirt sizes, group pairings, payouts, etc. 

RULES: Madison Rules - Madison Rules

FORMAT: (subject to change)

Round Robin:

Participants will be placed into either four or five-man round robin groups. Groups will be determined based on their skill level chosen on the registration form page.

Bracket Play:

Participants will be seeded based on their win-loss record and point differential from their round robin games. There will be play-in games that will determine who makes a double-elimination bracket for top cash prizes, and a single-elimination consolation bracket for smaller cash prizes (tournament brackets based on the number of participants). 

CASH PRIZES: 

1st - $400

2nd - $175

3rd - $125

4th - $100

5th-8th - $25

Consolation Bracket Winner - $75

Consolation Bracket Runner-Up = $25

We will also be raffling off various football and video game memorabilia, with all $$$ going towards the prize pool. 

(i.e. 100% payout. The more you put in, the more goes towards the payout!)

LIVE STREAM: twitch.tv/TGFNRetro

twitch.tv/kevincabarello

Edited by kevincabarello

• Knobbe pinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...

RAFFLE PRIZES!

A raffle drawing will happen mid-way through the tournament. Tickets can be purchased the day of the event. Here's a sneak peek at what we are raffling off so far!

Cleveland Browns Bernie Kosar Jersey

Autographed L.A. Rams Henry Ellard Jersey

kosar.jpg

ellard.jpg

18 hours ago, Woodshed said:

Can someone other than a Buenagle win an Ohio tournament this year? What are the Vegas odds?

Give me whoever wins that power glove

23 hours ago, Woodshed said:

Can someone other than a Buenagle win an Ohio tournament this year? What are the Vegas odds?

Well, @Ones11fahzu has two Tupa Bowl championships, Louis has one, and Mort has zero, so if *MAAYYYYYYBEEEE* Matt Miller shows up, he's the favorite, even if gats comes.

MORE RAFFLE PRIZES!

We have a Super Bowl XXV 32 oz glass mug!
We have two official Super Bowl XXV plastic cups featuring the Super Bowl, Giants, and Bills logos!
We have a Darrell Green 7-11 Big Gulp cup from 1991!
We have a Game Boy Coffee Mug that when you put hot liquid in it, Super Mario Land shows up on the side!

...and if you have drinks, you need something to put them on, so my lovely lady is making Pearler Bead Coasters of Tecmo Super Bowl Plays! Here's just a few of what she has made!

See you guys on the 19th!

tecmocups.jpg

gameboymug.jpg

playbookpearler.jpg

1 hour ago, allamerican1569 said:

Just registered.  I'm coming to Columbus with my best friend and journeyman Joey that I haven't seen since the Mort's $50 Challenge last May.   Is going to the local beercade the plan after the tournament is over? Would love to get in some games of NBA JAM on a cabinet.   

Awesome man! There will be a post-tournament local barcade thing again this year, and yes, they have NBA Jam. Glad to have you on board!

Happy to be working this with you.  It will be my first out of state tournament experience ever.  Been working diligently on the stream setup, and picked up the prepaid hotspot with Ethernet on it with the provider you suggested based on your own experience there.

As I do with any retro tournament now, if a Genesis is setup, and anyone wants to challenge me to mk or mk2, $20 awaits the first person to beat me on real hardware on a CRT.  We are certain to have some pauses in there.  In 17 years I have not parted with this $20.  With the world's Tecmo hordes massed against me, I can only hope there is one among you who is able to deliver to me, "a beautiful death".

Image result for michael fassbender 300

• 2 weeks later...
If you missed the amazing Tupa Bowl IV action from Columbus OH this weekend, fret not! We have all of the stream footage for you.

This was a very memorable weekend for me.  I get greeted at the airport by @mort1237 and @kevincabarello who treated me like royalty.  I responded by demanding a Waffle House visit, and my subjects happily obliged.  Armed security, drunk women, chefs cooking with cell phones in one hand, and an impending drug deal witnessed by Mort kicked off an amazing weekend.  All that was missing was a Hepatitis C infection.

We hit the Old North Arcade, where nearly everything is on free play, then went our separate ways as we all had a big day on Saturday. Nice selection of games, and of course I did some damage on the Mortal Kombat machines.

At the recommendation of Kevin, we locked down a prepaid ATT hot spot with a built in Ethernet port based on his connection quality off his phone.  In 9 hours of streaming Saturday, we didn't drop a single frame.

@Jim Socks 13, @Woodshed, Eric Kuhlman, The Retro Sports Gamer, Louis, Mort, and The Ultimate Weapon all made guest appearances on the color mic.  It was an absolute riot.  The afforementioned Jim Socks and Woodshed opened with their own version of "In the Ware Tonight", which I believe is available on the Retro Sports Gamer Channel on Youtube.  It's not to be missed.

The setups were a plenty, and Kevin balanced playing, organizing with tenacity.  Louis and Mort were a big help setting up early.  The staff was friendly, the food was delicious, and the overall event a 10/10 in my book.  Way to go Mort for your victory, Joemama winning the Silver bracket, and Kevin for running a kickass event!  Here's to next year!