Chicago, IL - 06/9/18 - Tecmo Super Bowl Hardcore Championship

Tecmo Super Bowl Hardcore Championship

When - Saturday June 9, 2018

Where - DMen Tap - 2829 W. Belmont Ave. Chicago, IL 60618

Time - Registration 10:00am to 10:30am CST, Kickoff Time 11:00am CST

Buy In - $30 - Registration through paypal to [email protected]

https://www.paypal.me/retrosportsgamertom/30

Included in Buy In:

- One Custom Tecmo Tournament T-shirt (Register on or before May 22nd to receive a T-shirt)

- One Nintendo (NES) Sports Game Cartridge (Performance during Group Play determines which game you will have a chance at getting)

Format:

30 Players Maximum

6 groups of 5 players playing round robin (4 games for each player)

-Groups will be separated by a random selection draw

-Group play will use provided tier list for choosing matchups

All 30 players will advance to a single elimination playoff round based overall record in tournament.

There will be a lottery for seeding based on your record after group play.  It is based on the five possible record outcomes:

Record - 0-4 - 30th seed will randomly be selected here, then seeds will continue to be selected until there is no player that was 0-4 left

Record - 1-3 - Seeds randomly selected until there are no players that were 1-3 left

Record - 2-2 - Seeds randomly selected until there are no players that were 2-2 left

Record - 3-1 - Seeds randomly selected until there are no players that were 3-1 left

Record - 4-0 - Seeds randomly selected until there are no players that were 4-0 left, 1st seed will be last player selected

This seeding also determines the order in which the NES Sports Games will be selected for each player to keep as part of the Buy-In.

30-Team-Single-Seeded.thumb.gif.0df596f6d917d6bee67c10b600871545.gif

-The Hardcore Tier List will be used for Bracket Play.  Higher Seed is Player 1 and gets choice of Tier.  Player 2 then selects a team from that Tier or a lower Tier.  Higher Seed then selects a team second from the Tier originally chosen or a lower Tier.

Prizes:

1st Place

- $350 Cash

-Tecmo Hardcore Championship Title Belt (1st place winner gets to keep the belt)

2nd Place

- $150 Cash

Top 4 finishers have the option of competing in a Free to Play Cash Prize Retro Sports League Championship Tournament taking place in January 2019 in Chicago, IL

I'm locking in and guaranteeing all the prizes for this tournament!

Rules:

1. Tier list for group play.  Winner of coin toss is player 1 and chooses tier.  Loser of coin toss chooses team from tier player 1 selected or a lower tier.  Winner of coin toss chooses team second from tier originally chosen or lower tier.

5a767cf28c30a_TecmoHardcoreTierList.thumb.jpg.e89fddea852d67fab37136fc3df59e11.jpg

2. We will not keep track of teams used during group play.  Choose the team that best suits you in group play under the tier list guidelines.

3. Customizing Playbooks and Lineup Changes.  You are allowed to change your selected team's playbook before each game.  Checking the change / substitution screen is allowed during gameplay.  Once per quarter for each player is the recommendation. 

4. All substitutions of any player in any position is LEGAL

5.  No ties. If a game is tied when regulation concludes, competitors will proceed to OT. All OT’s will be 5-minute sudden death periods. If no one scores in the first OT, the second OT will be only the first quarter in a new game. This process will be repeated until a winner emerges. So that one competitor does not start with the ball in every OT period, the receiving team (i.e. team that gets the ball first) shall alternate beginning with the second OT period.

6. Defensive Lineman Lurching / Nose Tackle Dive / Any D-Lineman Dive is LEGAL

7. Nintendo Malfunctions: If there is an equipment failure in the first half, games will be replayed from the start. If equipment malfunctions in the 2nd half, only the second half is replayed. In that event, the scores from each half are added together to obtain a final score. If the game was uncompetitive or the equipment malfunctioned due to human error, the tourney organizers reserve the right to declare a winner without replaying any portion of the game.

8. Tournament Disputes: Tom Stahnke and Phil Naumann are the tournament referees. They will decide all disputes unless one of them is a player in the game. If one or both is a player in the disputed game, a referee to be determined will resolve the dispute.

9. Competitors are allowed to bring their own controller, but it has to be an official Nintendo rectangle controller, official Nintendo dogbone controller, or the official Hyperkin Cadet NES controller.

Live Streams: 

MARQUEE MATCHUP STREAM - https://www.twitch.tv/tgfnretro
twitch-e1491600114230-796x398.thumb.jpg.590b0891d7c81a7bc3ff7f25893621cb.jpg

This professional live coverage will be voiced and broadcasted by Troy GBLAN, organizer and voice of the GBLAN Online Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament.  Troy will be showcasing the best players this tournament has to offer from opening kickoff until the Tecmo Super Bowl Hardcore Championship Belt is wrapped around someone’s waist.  I encourage everyone to check out tgfnretro on Twitch and follow the action that is currently going on in the Tecmo scene.

THE PLAYER’S STREAM: - https://www.youtube.com/theretrosportsgamer

Youtube-Gaming-logo.thumb.jpg.bf556d98204cb8c7fa05a6d12dfca100.jpg

Have you ever wanted to be a commentator at a Tecmo Tournament?  Maybe you just want to cut a wrestling promo Tecmo style?  This is your opportunity!  This stream will be run by Lumberjack Cracks, but if you aren’t feeling what he has to say, then suplex him off that mic and say what you will.  The goal of this stream is to capture the natural essence of the tournament and get as many unique players on stream as possible.  Want to play on stream?  Just ask!  We will do our best to broadcast your game next.

Players that register and can't make the tournament with at least one week notice will be fully refunded. 

Please contact me at [email protected] if you have any questions about the tournament.  Thanks!

Edited by allamerican1569

• 2 weeks later...

Donating an Mike Ditka Framed Photo since it is impossible for me to get it home to highest placing Bears Fan registered tournament player. Mort has it in his storage center. @allamerican1569 @mort1237 Not sure if i can make it. 

19 minutes ago, allamerican1569 said:

Surprised @mort1237 didn't want to hang this on the wall next to his bed.   This masterpiece needs to make it way out of storage.  Thanks! @red98sethuthut

Don't you know @mort1237 is a Packers Fan Masquerading as ChiCagy-Ian. I was surprised he allowed it in his van. @RetroNathan Hope u are cool with this. and ty

21 minutes ago, red98sethuthut said:

Don't you know @mort1237 is a Packers Fan Masquerading as ChiCagy-Ian. I was surprised he allowed it in his van. @RetroNathan Hope u are cool with this. and ty

Oh yeah, definitely. That's the challenge with team-specific prizes, people may not be as big of a fan as others. If it goes to someone who can enjoy it, that's all that matters. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity, why have a tier list at all?

If someone wants to roll with the Raiders and Sam Graddy in a Chicago Street Tecmo Fight, then any opponent should be allowed. Or is it going to be informational for those who aren't "experts" with 100s of games experience (and I can wait until you officially roll out your explanation so as to keep the suspense :) )?

23 hours ago, bruddog said:

Lag wasn't the reason for the lurch ban. The lag worked both ways. 

It just leads to even more same looking playbooks which tecmo already suffers from. 

I'd have to concur with this though @rmm1976 is probably the guy who has been around the longest who is still here.

I know that years before we were playing online we wouldn't nose tackle dive because it was considered bush league.

Something novel like this is probably a nice change up for guys that have done it all playing Tecmo and want to switch it up.

2 hours ago, Knobbe said:

I'd have to concur with this though @rmm1976 is probably the guy who has been around the longest who is still here.

I know that years before we were playing online we wouldn't nose tackle dive because it was considered bush league.

Something novel like this is probably a nice change up for guys that have done it all playing Tecmo and want to switch it up.

You're saying for novelty, try playing with lurching allowed? I never heard of it being called lurching, but I remember setting up Playbooks to counter it before ever playing online. I never really saw the lurch's full potential to be fair, cuz most of my games were with Buffalo vs Dallas. Danny Noonan is no Bob Nelson. But he is pretty good on the links...

@bruddog @Knobbe  you are exactly right--  even in the early dialup days, it had nothing to do with lag.  It was considered trash because it blew up so many plays...  It kills all the up-the-gut run plays and r&s pass plays even with an average NT.  It was consensus in every league that it was not allowed.  The only debate that ever went on was whether the other DL positions could do it (ended up also being banned), and whether LBs could do it (ended up not being banned).

On 2/22/2018 at 3:40 PM, qb_browns said:

Just out of curiosity, why have a tier list at all?

If someone wants to roll with the Raiders and Sam Graddy in a Chicago Street Tecmo Fight, then any opponent should be allowed. Or is it going to be informational for those who aren't "experts" with 100s of games experience (and I can wait until you officially roll out your explanation so as to keep the suspense :) )?

Ha Ha!  Sam Graddy Chicago Street Fight!  Bo/Graddy combo out of the back field!

Even playing the game in its "natural state"  the disparity of the talent between the teams and its players are still there.   The tier list exists to ensure matchups are as equal as possible given the rule set, which is none.  And to answer your second question, the tier list is geared to be informational.  I'm still viewing Chicago as an abundantly large untapped market for Tecmo.  I would like to attract new players with nostalgia for the game without teaching them a different way to play the game.  We have had new people come play with us at Dmen Tap during our bi-weekly events, which is great.  The problem is they don't come back.  In my opinion, it has not been an easy task to tell guys in their 30s and older to play a different way then they are accustomed to and then beat them by our rules.  The guys that play in Chicago at Dmen Tap are good enough and willing to make adjustments to potentially draw in some new faces in the local scene.  My attitude towards it is just join the tournament with whatever game you got and we will be ready for you.

On 2/22/2018 at 4:49 PM, bruddog said:

Lag wasn't the reason for the lurch ban. The lag worked both ways. 

It just leads to even more same looking playbooks which tecmo already suffers from. 

I'm fully aware that the playbooks are more limited using some teams with the game in its "natural state".  The interesting thing about it is, the playbook opens up more for the teams that have 19MS OB's and higher.  This is part of the strategy in this format.  You have to be ready and willing to adjust your playbook based on what team you are using.  If you are using the Dolphins or Chiefs with 6 MS QB's then you are probably using more shotgun plays in your passing playbook to combat lurching.  If you are using the Lions or Bucs with 31MS QB's then you will not have to worry about lurching and will be able to open up your playbook to your normal under center pass plays.  Then knowing these nuances within the confines of a very flexible tier list, will players chose a team like the Lions to play the Raiders knowing that they will have access to better plays because of a higher MS QB?  

On 2/23/2018 at 5:23 PM, Knobbe said:

Yeah I agree.  With all the Tecmo Tournaments throughout the country during a given year, I think it is fun to mix up the format a bit to differentiate your tournament from the next. 

19 hours ago, allamerican1569 said:

Even playing the game in its "natural state"  the disparity of the talent between the teams and its players are still there.   The tier list exists to ensure matchups are as equal as possible given the rule set, which is none.  And to answer your second question, the tier list is geared to be informational.  I'm still viewing Chicago as an abundantly large untapped market for Tecmo.  I would like to attract new players with nostalgia for the game without teaching them a different way to play the game.  We have had new people come play with us at Dmen Tap during our bi-weekly events, which is great.  The problem is they don't come back.  In my opinion, it has not been an easy task to tell guys in their 30s and older to play a different way then they are accustomed to and then beat them by our rules.  The guys that play in Chicago at Dmen Tap are good enough and willing to make adjustments to potentially draw in some new faces in the local scene.  My attitude towards it is just join the tournament with whatever game you got and we will be ready for you.

Interesting idea to loosen the restrictions for players who aren't tournament tested to a more laid back approach to playing the game. If you get repeat players that way, good on you. 

You could also, when doing an event, try the playoff tournament format - set up enough systems, sim to playoffs on each system, group guys together, and have them snake draft every team in the playoffs and play it out. Those were always the most fun before hitting the bar because you get a good spread of teams (especially if you take the time to screw with the 49ers), and there are normally low/mid tier teams that become crazy juiced and just wreck people. 

For whatever reason, for a few of these, Seattle would win the AFC West and just be ridiculously juiced with everyone on offense in excellent and people would cruise to the Super Bowl with them. 

1 hour ago, qb_browns said:

Interesting idea to loosen the restrictions for players who aren't tournament tested to a more laid back approach to playing the game. If you get repeat players that way, good on you. 

You could also, when doing an event, try the playoff tournament format - set up enough systems, sim to playoffs on each system, group guys together, and have them snake draft every team in the playoffs and play it out. Those were always the most fun before hitting the bar because you get a good spread of teams (especially if you take the time to screw with the 49ers), and there are normally low/mid tier teams that become crazy juiced and just wreck people. 

For whatever reason, for a few of these, Seattle would win the AFC West and just be ridiculously juiced with everyone on offense in excellent and people would cruise to the Super Bowl with them. 

That's a fun idea.

My friends and I used to do a variation of this back in the day. We'd auto-skip the season to about week 8 and then blindly draft teams and make a bracket. (Usually the top 14 teams or bottom 14 teams). With conditions a lot more teams have a chance of being viable. You can pick Philly and if QB Eagles is hurt that's a big blow. 

Like many of you on this forum, I believe Tecmo Super Bowl for the Nintendo Entertainment System is the greatest sports video game of all time.   The reasons for this are many, and the players of this forum already know the reasons why.   My question is this; Is Tecmo Super Bowl in its natural 100% organic state still the greatest sports video game of all time? Is lurching broken?  Does putting position players anywhere in offensive formations make it unfair?  Finding out the answers to these questions is what motivated me to create the Tecmo Super Bowl Hardcore Championship taking place in Chicago, IL on Saturday, June 9th 2018 at Dmen Tap.

Now I already know what you are probably thinking….I'm off my rocker.  And yes, if you have played this game for years in online leagues and live tournaments in an established proven format I get where you are coming from.  Maybe this format is not for you.   All I'm asking players to do, is play Tecmo Super Bowl in a live tournament the way it came fresh out of that box back in 1991 to determine a Champion.

So let me give a little background of where I am coming from with this.   Up until almost exactly 10 years ago when I played my first game on the Tecmo Players Circuit, I had never played Tecmo Super Bowl with any in-game bans or substitution bans.  In the hundreds of games I played against the CPU and with their default playbooks, it was pretty clear the nose tackle dive was broken.  Sacks were extremely easy to rack up against the CPU, and after a while it got boring using the lurching move all the time.  Luckily for me, I had a brother, an uncle, and a few cousins who loved playing Tecmo Super Bowl as well.  We would always play it randomly when we saw each other during family visits.  This commonality of affection for one video game ultimately led to the inception of the annual Family Christmas Eve Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament in 2006.  The tournament is still an annual Christmas event and we have yet to set any rules.  From my experience in these tournaments the right playbook selection makes lurching at best a very risky gamble.  The majority of the time the lurch fails against a player with quick recognition passing skills, or almost any run play that isn't a run up the middle.  The lurch failure usually leads to a huge gain for the offense or a touchdown.  My cousin Ryan is a notorious lurcher in these tournaments and every once in a great while he breaks up a play with a lurch.  Now once I see him attempt a lurch or two, I'm licking my chops waiting to call the right running play to blow up that Nose Tackle and take it in for the touchdown.  This happens pretty much every year I end up playing him, which leads to him staying away from user controlling the Nose Tackle simply because he now recognizes it's not his best option on defense when playing an experienced player.  The way this plays out is the Nose Tackle dive is only used in infrequent spells to throw off your opponent or catch him off guard.  It's not an every down thing and if it were, an experienced player would destroy you.  As far as substitutions, most notably Wide Receivers at Running Back, this has never been broken.  All it does is increase the value of some of the teams by having a faster Running Back.  Teams like the 49ers, Oilers, Eagles, Dolphins, Rams, Redskins, Vikings, Falcons, among others can benefit from choosing to have a faster Running Back. 

After pondering for a while if I should throw a tournament without the conventional rules, I asked Mort where the lurching ban came from.  His response made complete sense.  He said it came from the online lag that had to be adjusted for using the Nesticle emulator.  Players were not able to adjust to the lurch in time to make the game very playable.  It was deemed a cheap move for online play and was banned ever since.  If any of you have played on Nesticle, you know how bad the lag was.  After hearing this historical reference, I knew now was the time to bust out the Hardcore Format!

IMG_0288.JPG

Edited by allamerican1569

I expect to be there unless Gats is a weiner or i'm sick

Gats is a weiner he dosen't want to go for what reason he seems unable to decide he picks one and then changes it.

In any case he dosen't want to go is there anyone in the Fox Valley area who is going that I could carpool with?

Edited by hankthetank

Two plays i'd run more under the hard core format would be R+S Draw as the extension of the draw is lurch proof ( the draw play is gold vs the blitz)....and Slot L Z drive has the rb1 go out deep on a Wheel route vs the db2 or SS. One could sub in a fast wr at rb for not only run plays but that wheel route.

Edited by red98sethuthut

3 hours ago, red98sethuthut said:

Two plays i'd run more under the hard core format would be R+S Draw as the extension of the draw is lurch proof ( the draw play is gold vs the blitz)....and Slot L Z drive has the rb1 go out deep on a Wheel route vs the db2 or SS. One could sub in a fast wr at rb for not only run plays but that wheel route.

Slot L Z drive with Jerry at RB1 is deadly. 

That is a drawback/benefit to the WR at RB format - you can exploit so much of the defense with a fast player with high REC out of the backfield.

• Knobbe pinned this topic

IMG_0324.thumb.JPG.b10c7c4639cd086851d1b68731c8c682.JPG

IMG_0327.thumb.jpg.27b99ad00e5db994467a0c0aacb6fe3b.jpg

These are the NES Sports Games up for grabs as part of your paid entry in this tournament.  The highest seed from the lottery after group play chooses which game they want first.  This continues in numerical seeding order until the 30th seed and all the games are gone.  Every player is guaranteed to get one game.  All games are used and are in fair to good condition.