Chicago, IL - 06/9/18 - Tecmo Super Bowl Hardcore Championship

We are finally here!  Only 1 day away from the Tecmo Super Bowl Hardcore Championship!  It’s about to go down and the #1 team to look out for is the Houston Oilers!  The Oilers are an absolute offensive powerhouse in this format and they are defintely in the disscusion of best team in the game.  They are lead by their Star QB Warren Moon with a 75 Pass Control, 69 Passing Speed and 19 Max Speed for some mobility.  Moon can move around the pocket and zip it out quick with his tremendous accuracy and full aresenal of weapons.  They have a mind-blowing 3 players with a 75 Reception Rating: Drew Hill, Ernest Givens, and Haywood Jefferies.  Hill is the fastest of the bunch with a 63 Max Speed, so he may be the best option for running back as he did have some experience playing it in college.  They don’t really lose any speed at wide outs as Givins is a 56 Max Speed and Jeferries is a 50 Max Speed.   The Oilers do have a super sub of their own for that 3rd WR position in Curtis Duncan with a 63 Reception Rating and 50 Max Speed.  Houston will have speed and hands all over the field and they are one of those rare teams where all the players, besides Lorenzo White, have an 81 Ball Control, which means they will fumble less.

On defense the Oilers are ready to defend all the Tier 1 teams.  They have a star player on each level of the defense.  Right End Sean Jones is your speed pass rusher with a 56 Max Speed.  Linebacker Ray Childress gives you a great bottom side defender with a 56 Max Speed and 63 Hitting Power although he’s more of a run stuffer with a low 19 Interception Rating.  Cornerback Richard Johnson is the #1 stud on the D with a 63 Max Speed and 75 Interception Rating, so he should be manned often against these heavy passing attacks in Tier 1.  Johnson gets a lot of help in the secondary as well, Cris Dishman and Terry Kinard both have a 56 Interception Rating and Bubba Mcdowell pitches in a 50 Interception Rating of his own. 

Overall the Oilers roster is prepared to go against any opponent.  They have an unbelievably talented and deep offense led by one of the Top QB’s in Tecmo.   On defense their secondary matches up perfectly against the top level passing attacks in Tier 1.  When Tier 1 is called, be prepared to use or play against the Houston Oilers as they are too good to leave out of the match up. 

IMG_0924.JPG

On 6/7/2018 at 9:22 PM, sonofpatbeach said:

I have a vasectomy tomorrow, so I'm out. Good luck to all those with 2 functional balls.

I hope all is well there.  The fairly "routine" 15-20 minute procedure turned into a 90 minute surgery + 3 week recovery for me.

Fortunately for me, and the rest of humanity, I'm shooting blanks, and #3rdbeebe is the last of my line.

And for good measure, here's a classic video on keeping your balls clean.

IMG_0985.thumb.JPG.313a95ca0ab78e9a6ff26d500477e9f7.JPG

1st Place - @ImFlo Overall Tournament Record (8-0)

IMG_0961.thumb.jpg.4c3ac0beab40c123d9c44cae842bdebc.jpg

Wins paid entry into:

263769377_MidwestTecmoSuperBowlTournament.thumb.jpg.631e945966873be4f656ce144061669c.jpg

2nd Place - @mort1237 Overall Tournament Record (7-1)

1758930455_MortTupa.thumb.jpg.195c7d6be354e1306d028ca16fb1e3b3.jpg

Wins paid entry into:

450542591_tecmo-nola-fb-cover-photo.thumb.jpg.705ff83cbd76b610526c63fcbc3c1b5b(1).thumb.jpg.958b6c3d6012bd3f6fdde0fe04b83c63.jpg

3rd Place - @allamerican1569 Overall Tournament Record (6-2)

1409356555_RetroSportsGamerProfilePic.thumb.jpg.59b985a24ebd762a314f8d58f2b256dc.jpg

Wins paid entry into:

2094148964_TecmoCleveland.thumb.png.669f4db01d8a9dadda7fc1b874f268c3.png

4th Place - @hankthetank Overall Tournament Record (4-4)

IMG_0997.thumb.jpg.08ebf322f00ad5749c82f5201ee47f41.jpg

Wins paid entry into:

969185045_MillardsMayhem.thumb.jpg.de45992dcfd4dd8dace0caf7870ed089.jpg

Group Results:

THE GOAT GROUP

Joey Gats 4-0

Darth Rockman 3-1

Hank The Tank 2-2

Sean C. 1-3

Brian H. 0-4

TECMOBO GROUP

Tecmobo 4-0

Kevin C. 2-2

Peter S. 2-2

Donny B. 1-3

Joe L. 1-3

FLO GROUP

Flo 4-0

Da Shark 3-1

8-Bit 2-2

Phil N. 1-3

Anson M. 0-4

MORT MAGIC GROUP

Mort 4-0

SammieSmith 3-1

Shallahbey 2-2

DJ Psyko 1-3

Joe M. 0-4

RSG and DPS GROUP

Tom S. 3-1

DPS 3-1

Kumasi 2-2

Marcius 2-2

Stevie Jay 0-4

When I go through the Tecmo Tour Stat Cards I will have more detailed statistics coming soon.

Edited by allamerican1569

My Top Ten Moments in Chicago for some hardcore Tecmo:

#10:  Meeting Tom And the crew at D-Men Tap.  Great venue, great music, and very friendly atmosphere. Tom did a great job with everything to make this a fun experience.

#9:  meeting and playing new people live.  I love the smaller tourneys because they are a little more personal.  Got to actually talk with Rockman, TecmoBo, Flo, Shellabey, and play Mort and Rockman live  for the first time.  Both turned out in losses but I am a sprouting Bozai Bush that is getting trimmed. I did play Shellabey and did get a win against him. He did kick my butt in SFII.

#8:  Trojan doing the announcing and his SF II and MK skills.  Man is good at all three trades.  I did get 1 Win with E. Honda out of 20 matches.  Thanks for the media footage and ass kickings. Your dedication and time given is appreciated 10 fold.

#7:  Brian!  This guy is classic.  I got to play him and he didn’t disappoint. His Experience is not the best but his personality and enthusiasm is top notch.  He does a great radio report as well when commentating. I think also set a record by biggest loss.

#6:  The Hardcore rules.  It really made things tricky and made you think about Tecmo in a different way.  Mort bamboozled me with a tier 2 selection and then dropping to tier three in a Raiders vs Vikings match up.  I also screwed up with taking the Redskins in tier 3 and Rockman taking the Lions.  Gagaga goo

#5: My Brothers George and Jock announcing my game.  I was cracking up.  Those two said some funny stuff and I don’t think they paused or made an actual play by play call.  If you want to listen go to the TGFN replay on twitch at the 5 hr 8 min mark

#4: Hanging in Chicago with the brothers.  I wish they would of played in the tourney but their presence made the trip worth while as well.

#3: Great bracket play.  We saw some big upsets.  Tom over Gats, Hank over 8-Bit, Flo Over Mort for the Championship.  It makes Tecmo completions exciting with new competitors winning these tourneys.

#2: The nostalgia of being at a live tourney.  It’s awesome whether you are new to a Tecmo event or a veteran.  The excitement of playing with your childhood NFL legends makes it great.  Also the excitement of playing with people cheering, booing, or talking shit makes the experience great. I love it!

#1:  It’s Tecmo Super Bowl one of the best if not the best game made.  Here Here to to the Hardcore Tourney in Chicago.  Hopefully there will be another.

14 hours ago, SammieSmith33 said:

#9:  meeting and playing new people live.  I love the smaller tourneys because they are a little more personal.  Got to actually talk with Rockman, TecmoBo, Flo, Shellabey, and play Mort and Rockman live  for the first time.  Both turned out in losses but I am a sprouting Bozai Bush that is getting trimmed. I did play Shellabey and did get a win against him. He did kick my butt in SFII.

This is something I enjoy about our smaller tourneys up here in the PNW, although for the most part we have the same core of guys, but every so often someone new shows up or someone old pops out of the woodwork. The time you get together beyond actually playing is almost as good as the battlin'. Catching up, playing other shit, or just talkin tecmo and life. 

14 hours ago, SammieSmith33 said:

#2: The nostalgia of being at a live tourney.  It’s awesome whether you are new to a Tecmo event or a veteran.  The excitement of playing with your childhood NFL legends makes it great.  Also the excitement of playing with people cheering, booing, or talking shit makes the experience great. I love it!

Live Tecmo is the best. Tourneys are the shiznit. Live seasons... They take too long right? Although there's something for that issue...

• DFM unpinned this topic

Here is some raw data of the frequency and overall records of the teams used with the tier matchup calling system at the Hardcore Championship:

This is not 100% complete data as some players did not fill out the Tecmo Tour stat cards properly.

26 of the 28 Teams were used.  Only the Bills and the Colts were not used in a matchup.

Tier 1  

SF 5-2

HOU 2-3

GIA 1-2

PHI 0-1

BUF not used

Tier 2 

KC 3-0

RAI 3-3

MIA 1-2

CHI 2-7

CIN 0-1

Tier 3

DET 13-4

MIN 4-4

WAS 1-5

RAMS 6-3

SD 2-3

TB 2-1

DEN 0-1

ATL 0-1

Tier 4

DAL 3-2

PIT 3-3

GB 2-3

PHX 1-1

JETS 0-1

NO 1-0

Tier 5

CLE 4-0

SEA 0-3

NE 0-1

IND not used

Here is my brief comment on each tier:

Tier 1 - SF / HOU was the no brainer in this tier.  I felt like you could make a case to use the Giants and Eagles, but the Bills were the obvious odd team out with their poor pass coverage.  Giants, Eagles, and Bills will have their own tier moving forward.

Tier 2 - This tier was very balanced overall.  I think the Bears poor record was due to the tournament being in Chicago and some players not knowing how to use them.  Flo did win the Championship with them after all. 

Tier 3 - The Lions were by far the dominant team in this tier.  They are built for this format and were the most used team in the tournament with a high win percentage.  They will be moving up a tier.  The Rams had a strong performance, but that is the case when players know how to use their passing offense.  Their D is still weak.  I'm surprised Tampa Bay was not used more as they have Haddix and a fast QB, but they did have a winning record.  Denver was not attractive enough to use with better Max Speed QB's like Vinny and Peete / Ware available.  The Rison at RB factor was not nearly enough to make players forget about how below average the Falcons roster is outside of Rison and Sanders on D.

Tier 4 - It looks like the Cowboys, Steelers, and Packers were the obvious favorites in this tier and it was balanced.  The Cowboys are the most balanced team in the tier, Steelers have one of the best defenses in the game, and the Packers have the Bob Nelson factor to go along with a high Max Speed QB and Elite Receiver.  The other 3 teams in the tier can compete, they just aren't the most attractive options.

Tier 5 - The Browns were the clear favorite in the tier due to QB Browns and they proved that.  This tier was designed to keep the completely mucking it up option to a minimal.   The Browns suffer the same offensive speed liability as the rest of the tier and they do not have an elite defender as the Patriots and Seahawks do.  The Colts weren't used for a reason.  They are pitiful and have nothing on defense.  This tier will hold strong.

In this format this will most likely be the tier list moving forward to create more unique matchups with the option of always going to a lower tier to use the teams you prefer.

Tier 1

SF

HOU

Tier 2

GIA

BUF

PHI

Tier 3

KC

RAI

MIA

CHI

CIN

DET

Tier 4

MIN

WAS

RAMS

SD

TB

DEN

Tier 5

ATL

DAL

PIT

GB

Tier 6 

PHX

JETS

NO

Tier 7

CLE

SEA

NE

IND

Sorry it took a few days for me to post here. Internet has been down at the house and I hate typing on my phone, but it's all I have right now so I apologize in advance for any typos.

It was a great tournament and awesome format. Big thanks to Tom for putting it all together. It was pretty sweet having two live streams going. Sometime this weekend I'll probably get around to rewatching some games and checking out the games I didn't get a chance to see.

Also big thanks to Phil for having a sweet bar. It was great meeting another dude that just loves tecmo. Also for taking care of the round of shots I tried to buy with some of my cash winnings; that was just a cherry on top of the great food, beer, and hospitality. 

My only regret was driving into the city instead of taking the train. It was kind of weird not getting drunk and losing my voice at a tournament. It might have played a factor in my undefeated afternoon.

I just feel like everything went perfectly for me that day. I was able to get a copy of tecmo in the NES cartridge draft (I had to remind the guys that passed on it that it is foolish to anger the tecmo gods and not select it). And being able to be the bears in the Chicago finals was pretty sweet.

I also totally forgot about the paid entry into the Midwest tournament. All I was thinking about was the championship belt. Someone tag Chris vogt so I can see if he has room on his couch.

Also great to see all the tecmo guys. I'd tag all you guys if I knew how to on my phone.

Every tournament should have no game play rules, unless you are trying something different to mix it up.

Sorry for disappointing everyone, better luck next year.

3 hours ago, sonofpatbeach said:

Congrats Flo! Maybe there is something to this whole sobriety thing, but I have no intention of finding out for myself.

I've been sober before and it didn't help. I've played good tecmo drunk. Embrace the chaos that is tecmo. Play it however you are, and thank the tecmo gods for the outcome.

7 hours ago, ImFlo said:

I've been sober before and it didn't help. I've played good tecmo drunk. Embrace the chaos that is tecmo. Play it however you are, and thank the tecmo gods for the outcome.

Truer words never spoken...