Sign in to follow this  
Bolt

Conference Championships, pickem

Hooray!  Hoorah!  Can you go 2-0?!

Sunday, 1/21/2018 3:05pmE.T.      

https://ssl.gstatic.com/onebox/media/sports/logos/HLfqVCxzVx5CUDQ07GLeWg_96x96.png  @  https://ssl.gstatic.com/onebox/media/sports/logos/z89hPEH9DZbpIYmF72gSaw_96x96.png = N.E

6:40pmE.T.                                           

https://ssl.gstatic.com/onebox/media/sports/logos/Vmg4u0BSYZ-1Mc-5uyvxHg_96x96.png  @  https://ssl.gstatic.com/onebox/media/sports/logos/s4ab0JjXpDOespDSf9Z14Q_96x96.png = PHI

Here are Divisional round Medallions:

Edited by Bolt
Bolded victors

Last time, I've predicted the Jaguars and Vikings to go to the Super Bowl.  I'm gonna double down on this one this week, and here's why.

The Patriots for the most part have gotten off lightly.  Other than wins against the Saints, Falcons, and Bills (twice), the Patriots haven't really had to deal with much competition.  Especially given that the Falcons choke, the Bills' offense was really bad, and the Saints haven't figured things out yet back in Week 2.  The only team worth a damn the Patriots have beaten in that sense would have to be the Steelers, and bad officiating and bad coaching were what cost the Steelers that game (they otherwise were outplaying the Patriots the entire game).  Now, am I saying that the Jaguars are certainly going to go?  No.  The Patriots are still the Patriots, and with one exception (2010), they've always reached the Super Bowl after claiming homefield advantage; and with only another exception (2012), they've always gotten there after hosting the AFC Championship game.  I have stated before that this season will pretty much be the final year the Patriots can compete for another Lombardi in the Brady-Belichick era.  Even if you remove all the behind-the-scenes drama that I suspect is mostly manufactured by the media with the hopes of dividing the team and possibly killing them off prematurely, the fact remains that Tom Brady is 40-years-old and his strength is waning; with the Jimmy G. trade, the Patriots no longer have a contingency plan to succeed him after he is gone; and both their offensive and defensive coordinators are going to soon depart to pursue head coaching careers.  So, through all intents and purposes, this is pretty much going to be their last ride as the league's most dominant football team--even if they manage to secure the division yet again next year.

Meanwhile, the Jaguars are one of two clubs capable of defeating the Patriots--the Jaguars specifically are built to take them down on the defensive side of the ball.  Belichick and Brady are completely right in suspecting the Jaguars as their toughest adversary yet.  The only real advantages the Patriots have over Jacksonville are Brady, Gronkowski, and homefield advantage.  And the only real disadvantage Jacksonville has--other than the fact that they have to play in Foxborough--is the fact that their QB is Blake Bortles.  But if Mark Sanchez can come in there and defeat Brady and the Patriots in 2010, then Blake Bortles can as well.  All he has to do is make the plays he has to in order to help establish the run; and then to beat up Brady relentlessly.  As I have nothing to lose at this point in picking the Jaguars, I'm gonna go picking the Jaguars to shock the AFC and reach the Super Bowl.

On the other side of the aisle, the only real advantage the Eagles have right now is homefield advantage.  Had Carson Wentz not gone down to injury late in the year, I would have gone with the Eagles to win this game handidly on their way to the Super Bowl.  But he is not, and the Eagles pretty much only got by because the Falcons are a first class choke job, even against inferior football teams.  I honestly think the Vikings have the clear edge, including the league's best defense and a criminally underappreciated quarterback in Case Keenum--a backup, but one of the absolute best backup QB's in the league at this point.  Although to be fair, Nick Foles did throw 7 touchdown passes without a pick, and could have possibly gotten 8 had Chip Kelly not called him out of the game by that point.  So who knows?

So, it's gonna be Minnesota Vikings vs. Jacksonville Jaguars in Super Bowl LII.  Even if one of my ballsy picks goes wrong, I'm still fairly certain that the Vikings will be there.

1 hour ago, Mike Gordan said:

Last time, I've predicted the Jaguars and Vikings to go to the Super Bowl.  I'm gonna double down on this one this week, and here's why.

The Patriots for the most part have gotten off lightly.  Other than wins against the Saints, Falcons, and Bills (twice), the Patriots haven't really had to deal with much competition.  Especially given that the Falcons choke, the Bills' offense was really bad, and the Saints haven't figured things out yet back in Week 2.  The only team worth a damn the Patriots have beaten in that sense would have to be the Steelers, and bad officiating and bad coaching were what cost the Steelers that game (they otherwise were outplaying the Patriots the entire game). 

I usually agree with most of your logic, but I think this is totally false.

1) The Patriots didn't get off lightly - but even if they did, you need to apply the same logic to both teams.  Including the actual playoffs, they beat 6 playoff teams.  TEN, NO, ATL, PIT, BUF x2.  The Jaguars only beat 3.  BUF & PIT x2.  If you want to throw in Seattle as a solid team who didn't make the playoffs, then 4.  But the Patriots still had the tougher schedule.  Don't forget, TEN beat JAX twice as well.

2) Sure, you can blame bad coaching in the NE/PIT game, but bad officiating?  That's just not true.  And the same bad coaching can be said for the JAX/PIT game.  Tomlin blew both games.

Now... am I saying the Pats are a lock?  Nope.  The Jaguars do have a shot and here's why... Tom Coughlin.  He's had the Patriots number like no other.  Still I think the Pats win this match-up 4 out of 5 times.  It's just going to depend on if that 1/5 happens this Sunday.

PATS 34 - 20

MINN 24 - 21

This is weird.  I like it!

6 hours ago, kamphuna8 said:

My Drumpfian prediction post....

Saints over Steelers. Bigly! French quarter gonna be sipping on their covfefe by mid 3rd quarter.

On 1/18/2018 at 2:19 PM, kamphuna8 said:

I was going for delusional

What about the arc of the covfefanant?

But I digress...

Vikings!  Your toughness. In Philadelphia:

Vikings is more of a disney club.  Eagles is more of a football club.

maybe they ought to play this at "Mall. of. America"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUrUHPD6AwA

LMAO.

Jaguars, turn on the afterburners ... let's throttle-rocket the old man

{if only I could get this to scroll.}

You call it daydreaming.  I call it, tappin' the zone

On 1/17/2018 at 3:42 PM, kamphuna8 said:

My Drumpfian prediction post....

Saints over Steelers. Bigly! French quarter gonna be sipping on their covfefe by mid 3rd quarter.

Sticking with this prediction. I saw it in the Arc of the Covfefenant.  Truthfully, I think the Pats win, and I hope they do cuz 

"Man! I HATE the fuckin Eagles!"

Alright.  As previously alluded to, 2-0 Gojifang Talisman is basking in the golden Sun, this Round.

And I hereby bestow silver-Star abundance upon the following:  @Mike Gordan/@Bodom/@buck

Jobs well done, and let's keep it goin' and flowin' for the next round, shall we ?...

Yes, we shall.  For as luck would have it, Playoff-Leaders @gojiphen malor and @Bodom are 6-4.

And I think I know who both are taking ;)

Edited by Bolt