Detroit, MI - 03/03/2018 - Detroit Tecmo Kumite VI

bob sacamano

#KumiteVI took place on Saturday, March 3, 2018 at Detroit Beer Co. in Downtown Detroit.  37 participants took to the 8-bit gridiron for 6 rounds of swiss play, which seeded 20 participants to select the team of their destiny.  Matthew O'Toole earned his 2nd consecutive Kumite Cup Title by defeating Francis Buennagel HOU over KC.  Toolie defeated Mort for the first time in five attempts in a Tecmo major finale.  Congrats to both competitors on great days!  Rounding out our top four, finishing in the money were David Thompson, of Seattle, WA; and Louis Buennagel of Buffalo, NY.  Brad Smigielski, Livonia, MI defeated Scott Duhl of Commerce, MI for the consolation tournament title.   Congratulations to the winners, and to everyone else for their contributions in making Kumite VI an amazing day.  Thank you so very much!

We are always looking to improve upon each tournament for the following year, and years to come!  If you have any feedback of any kind, please take a moment to drop me an email or a DM, on ways that we could improve your personal experience at Tecmo Kumite Detroit.  There are certainly a number of things on that list for next year, including handling of guest tabs throughout the day - to both guest, and host, as we got stuck with a handful of them at days' end.  Lastly, Matt O'Toole seemingly misplaced his winter  jacket.  It's a big black jacket, that had a pair of gloves, and a Kettering University hat in it.  If anyone accidentally took them home with them, please drop me a line so we can get it back to him!

Again, thank you so very much from the bottom of your heart for all of your contributions in making Tecmo Kumite Detroit the best event that it possibly can be.  You guys are the bomb!  'Til next time Kumiteers!

• DFM unpinned this topic
2 hours ago, allamerican1569 said:

Did you record the team draft?  I would like to see what order the teams were drafted in.

If you go to the single elim. challonge page, the match details for all play-in and round of 16 games have the teams used, so you can get that info by checking those. 

But here is the list...

5-1 Teams

1. HOU (Toolie)

2. CHI (Rico)

3. RAI (JoeyGats)

4. PHI (Louis)

5. MIA (Flo)

4-2 Teams

6. KC (Mort)

7. WAS (DT)

8. MIN (Hoffnasty)

9. CIN (Sleazy D)

10. RAMS (O'Dell)

11. DET (Ultimate Weapon)

12. SD (Fast Eddie Pevos)

13. NO (Bryan Adams)

3-3 Teams

14. DEN (Moskwa)

15. TB (Ryan Nephew)

16. DAL (Trevor MVG)

17. PIT (Basilios)
18. ATL (Jason Adams)

19. JET (Max Bielas)

20. GB (Jason Prach)

Thanks!  I think everyone's draft was reasonable.  The biggest surprise to me is the Saints going at 13 over the Broncos, Bucs, and Cowboys.  Also, I think the Chiefs could easily have been the 2nd team drafted as they have the best balance of any of the teams in the top 6 here.   I do see why the other teams were drafted over the Chiefs though as the Raiders, Eagles, and Dolphins all have a superstar game changer and the Bears have the best secondary in the game.

That's interesting you say that about the Chiefs. Last year they went 3rd to Rico (after Houston #1 and a ridiculous Washington at #2).  Mort seemed very happy to land them at 6th (I'd probably take them 5th or 6th with these teams available), citing their balance.  They definitely aren't the sexy pick, but if you're considering having to use them in multiple match-ups they're unlikely to get exposed and made one-dimensional offensively.  But I'd feel better in this respect with RAI.

Edited by toolie

On 3/13/2018 at 12:52 PM, toolie said:

If you go to the single elim. challonge page, the match details for all play-in and round of 16 games have the teams used, so you can get that info by checking those. 

But here is the list...

5-1 Teams

1. HOU (Toolie)

2. CHI (Rico)

3. RAI (JoeyGats)

4. PHI (Louis)

5. MIA (Flo)

4-2 Teams

6. KC (Mort)

7. WAS (DT)

8. MIN (Hoffnasty)

9. CIN (Sleazy D)

10. RAMS (O'Dell)

11. DET (Ultimate Weapon)

12. SD (Fast Eddie Pevos)

13. NO (Bryan Adams)

3-3 Teams

14. DEN (Moskwa)

15. TB (Ryan Nephew)

16. DAL (Trevor MVG)

17. PIT (Basilios)
18. ATL (Jason Adams)

19. JET (Max Bielas)

20. GB (Jason Prach)

Like this draft format for a mix up after reg season.  Think I'll do this for a segathon at some point.

2 hours ago, toolie said:

That's interesting you say that about the Chiefs. Last year they went 3rd to Rico (after Houston #1 and a ridiculous Washington at #2).  Mort seemed very happy to land them at 6th (I'd probably take them 5th or 6th with these teams available), citing their balance.  They definitely aren't the sexy pick, but if you're considering having to use them in multiple match-ups they're unlikely to get exposed and made one-dimensional offensively.  But I'd feel better in this respect with RAI.

If I had second pick, I would probably take the Chiefs at 2.  I agree with this statement. "They definitely aren't the sexy pick, but if you're considering having to use them in multiple match-ups they're unlikely to get exposed and made one-dimensional offensively."  That being said in a straight up RAI/KC matchup I have taken the Raiders.  Todd Daniels called that in our matchup at Bloomington, IL and I was able to squeak out a tough fought victory with the Raiders.  It's really a matter of preference.  I definitely think Rico made a smart pick at 2 with the Bears if he is comfortable with them.  Their secondary would give them the best chance versus the most other top teams: Oilers, Eagles, Dolphins, Chiefs, and even the Rams if they matchup at some point.  I think any pick that occured 1- 12 in this draft is justifiable.  One of the perceived team versus team upsets in this tournament was DT (Redskins) over Rico (Bears) to make the final four.  This isn't a common matchup call, but it is much closer than perceived in my opinion.  I would take Redskins over the Bears in a straight up match up call.  Dealing with those subpar Bears QB's can be rough, especially if you aren't someone who puts Neal Anderson at WR.

Edited by allamerican1569

11 hours ago, ImFlo said:

I was on the fence on taking KC instead of MIA. Looking back, I wish I took them instead.

My top four was HOU, PHI, CHI, RAI in that order. Could maybe swap CHI in at 2.

Yeah, I like KC / MIA as a matchup call and don't mind using either team.  Given the choice between the two, I favor the Chiefs slightly, mostly because of Christian Okoye and the lack of a serious running threat in the Dolphin's running game.   There is certainly a good case for the Dolphins with Marino's uncanny passing speed / pass control combo.  I feel like Deberg is a slice of the same pie, and he is similar enough to Marino to negate a strong QB advantage for the Dolphins.  Having watched your game versus Pevos, the covered catches that are sometimes expected with the Dolphins, did not happen for you.  I think this is how most players end up losing with the Dolphins.  I lost this way in game at Madison 13.  I was expecting to get some covered catches and never got any.  I'm thinking the best way to go about using the Dolphins is to take advantage of that Marino passing speed and zip those balls in there to wide open receivers before the defenders get there.  

The MIA running game ends up decent since you can run right at the LB's. You aren't going to break off monster runs but you can move the chains with the sweeps targeting the LB's. Miami's defensive flexibility is a bit better being able to use Williams and Oliver.    Marino's passing speed and multiple WR options is pretty big in this. It's more about burn routes or hitting open guys then just chucking into coverage. 

Tappers can call this and know they are pretty good either way since being able to outtap with okoye help as he can pop all the lb drones. In elite player matches this has been very close match with KC winning 48% of the matches but mia having the slight edge on pt differential by a pt. 

MIA has been the team selected the majority of the time(~70%) in matches where this info is available. 

The most highly talked out one of course was @sonofpatbeach recent win over @joeygats in this match at tundra with the miracle end of game catch from around the 10 yd line. 

6 hours ago, allamerican1569 said:

I feel like Deberg is a slice of the same pie, and he is similar enough to Marino to negate a strong QB advantage for the Dolphins.  

I typically like your dissimilar strategy or analysis. However, I must this say that this is total nonsense. ??

81/69 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 50/63. 

This is a massive, massive QB advantage. Burn routes for days. Marino is a drone's worst nightmare.

36 minutes ago, davefmurray said:

I typically like your dissimilar strategy or analysis. However, I must this say that this is total nonsense. ??

81/69 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 50/63. 

This is a massive, massive QB advantage. Burn routes for days. Marino is a drone's worst nightmare.

Yeah,  Marino is better for sure.  He really is the burn route master.  There really is no good direct comparison to him.  I probably should of just said the talent disparity between Marino and Deberg may not be enough for some players because of the similar Pass Control.  I think you can make the case that Deberg is the better JJ QB, which gives the player using KC a slight advantage when chucking up a bomb.