davefmurray

Madison, WI - 04/07/18 - Tecmo Madison XIV: In The Ware Tonight

1 hour ago, qb_browns said:

I don't think Reg's liver could last that long. 

The bigger challenge....... beating Gats in a 7 series or remaining conscience until the conclusion of the series? I made it to 11:00 last year with some heavy consumption periods in-between.

I'll be testing my drinking limits @ the TundraBowl in preparation for Madison.

5 hours ago, davefmurray said:

FORMAT: 
4 Regions, 22 groups per Region, 3 players per group. 

Round Robin opening rounds. 

Round 2 will have a Gold bracket, Silver bracket, and Bronze bracket, each region producing 22 Gold players, 22 Silver players, 22 Bronze players. Gold Bracket competes for the cash prize and Tecmo immortality. The Silver & Bronze brackets compete for consolation prizes. Opening bracket is single elimination. Final bracket stage TBD.

In short, everyone makes the second round and keeps playing.

this is very cool.

3 hours ago, regulator088 said:

The bigger challenge....... beating Gats in a 7 series or remaining conscience until the conclusion of the series? I made it to 11:00 last year with some heavy consumption periods in-between.

I'll be testing my drinking limits @ the TundraBowl in preparation for Madison.

Matt and I were amazed that you were still standing :-D

7 minutes ago, qb_browns said:

Matt and I were amazed that you were still standing :-D

Nay. Every single person in attendance was amazed he was still standing. Every stream viewer assumed he never played before and got to the finals on pure RNG luck.

Those first three games have shot way up in importance. Can't drop any of them or you're out. In some ways, this format is more punishing than ever before.

That being said, I am a huge fan of giving everyone the opportunity to keep playing.

11 minutes ago, Neerrm said:

Those first three games have shot way up in importance. Can't drop any of them or you're out. In some ways, this format is more punishing than ever before.

That being said, I am a huge fan of giving everyone the opportunity to keep playing.

Won't it either be 2 or 4 games per person if its a group of 3. 

Group of 3 round robin = 2 opening games per. The announcement on tiebreakers will be this week. I'll add another TBD disclaimer. Tiebreakers should be the least of your worries. Shoot for the moon, not the dirt floor!

7 minutes ago, davefmurray said:

Group of 3 round robin = 2 opening games per. The announcement on tiebreakers will be this week. I'll add another TBD disclaimer. Tiebreakers should be the least of your worries. Shoot for the moon, not the dirt floor!

Just trying to clarify for people, that's all. Not worried in the least. 🌛🌛🌛 Also, "Shoot for the Moon" should be the 2019 tournament name. 

Edited by RetroNathan

Everyone, I like the enthusiasm in November for an April tournament! This is good, just don't burn out before then. 

And remember, it is my job to figure out all the extra stuff that surrounds the format and how best to meet two hugely important goals:

1. Get this massive tournament done in 1 day 

2. Maintain some semblance of fairness and integrity for all the participants

This is so the guy who travels on a 5 hour flight and the guy who drives 10 minutes from Middleton both have a great experience and aren't walking out unhappy with the tournament experience (other than the general unhappiness that will occur to the 200+ people who don't win the thing)

For whatever psychotic reason, I really do love creating, seeding, and organizing tournaments, so I'll do my thing behind the scenes, Dave will make sure it fits with the vision of a kickass tournament, and we can all go from there. 

4 minutes ago, qb_browns said:

Everyone, I like the enthusiasm in November for an April tournament! This is good, just don't burn out before then. 

And remember, it is my job to figure out all the extra stuff that surrounds the format and how best to meet two hugely important goals:

1. Get this massive tournament done in 1 day 

2. Maintain some semblance of fairness and integrity for all the participants

This is so the guy who travels on a 5 hour flight and the guy who drives 10 minutes from Middleton both have a great experience and aren't walking out unhappy with the tournament experience (other than the general unhappiness that will occur to the 200+ people who don't win the thing)

For whatever psychotic reason, I really do love creating, seeding, and organizing tournaments, so I'll do my thing behind the scenes, Dave will make sure it fits with the vision of a kickass tournament, and we can all go from there. 

I'm with you on liking the seeding, structuring, etc. You guys do a great job; thanks for all of the efforts you and the Madison crew put in. 

I am pumped for Madison just for the fun of it.  Getting together with buddies and partying the night before along with getting some games in.  I am definitely in on the Street Fighter Tourney.  Vega is going to be saying a lot of yodalayeeehooo's.  I like the new format especially for the continued play for all players.  My brother George aka "Gayge" aka "Peoples Champ" can really make some noise now in one of the bracket plays.  I agree with Neerm those first two games are going to be very interesting.  You're going to have the mentality of the Cobra Kai.  "Sensei said no mercy." 

Image result for Cobra Kai

Just when we thought Madison couldn't get any better @qb_browns and @davefmurray do something like this. This announcement is a great thing for the entire Tecmo scene. I hope other tournaments follow suit and put some sort of consolation bracket in place. 

4 minutes ago, suicideking81 said:

Just when we thought Madison couldn't get any better @qb_browns and @davefmurray do something like this. This announcement is a great thing for the entire Tecmo scene. I hope other tournaments follow suit and put some sort of consolation bracket in place. 

Tundra Bowl has had a consolation for a few years. Kudos to them for blazing the trail.

Tiebreakers:
Bracket seeds are determined by record and then point differential. If at the end of the round there is a two-way tie, a deathmatch will be played. If a three-way tie, a 3-man single elimination tourney will be played, where the top seed of the group gets a bye round.

49 minutes ago, davefmurray said:

Tiebreakers:
Bracket seeds are determined by record and then point differential. If at the end of the round there is a two-way tie, a deathmatch will be played. If a three-way tie, a 3-man single elimination tourney will be played, where the top seed of the group gets a bye round.

Two way tie in a 3 man group round robin isn't possible. Unless you mean a deathmatch for seeding purposes if someone has the same record and point diff.

7 minutes ago, Neerrm said:

Two way tie in a 3 man group round robin isn't possible. Unless you mean a deathmatch for seeding purposes if someone has the same record and point diff.

Assuming here, and correct me if I'm wrong, it would work out like this:

Player A: 1-1 +3 PT diff: 21-14 over C, 20-24 against B

Player B: 1-1 +3 PT diff: 24-20 over A, 20-21 against C

Player C: 1-1 -6 PT diff: 14-21 against A, 21-20 over B

Players A and B would technically be in a two-way tie and have a one game playoff. 

1 hour ago, Neerrm said:

It is possible.

1 hour ago, RetroNathan said:

Assuming here, and correct me if I'm wrong, it would work out like this:

Player A: 1-1 +3 PT diff: 21-14 over C, 20-24 against B

Player B: 1-1 +3 PT diff: 24-20 over A, 20-21 against C

Player C: 1-1 -6 PT diff: 14-21 against A, 21-20 over B

Players A and B would technically be in a two-way tie and have a one game playoff. 

Exactly this.