The 2nd TSB Book of Armaments

Tundrayeti311

Hello,

I wrote a script* to look at a .csv output file produced by a TSB rom roster/attribute extractor ("Roster Extractor", nice tool, thanks!), and produce the spreadsheet attached here which includes a bunch of sheets listing TSB players and attributes by team, position, etc. and providing some analysis based on my own attribute weights*.

The file includes ratings, ranks, scores (an attempt at normalized ratings across positions), and attribute stats (e.g min,min,mean,mode of - e.g. RS, MS, RP, INT - at bottom of sheet) based on position (including KR, PR), ranking OL, DL, O, D, teams, as well as a suggested "best"* lineup. It also colors the min and max value for a particular attribute (per position), and provides some highlighting to draw attention to better players and attributes.

Each team has two sheets: the first being a "raw" roster, and the second breaks it down a bit further, separates by position, and provides a suggested starting lineup.

This file is based off of "The TSB Book of Armaments" (couldn't find the thread again on this site btw), which a few years ago when I started getting "serious" about playing Tecmo was a valuable resource (although it did have some issues and limitations).

While the file here is not much beyond what you would find at tecmogeek.com or the tecmosuperapp (awesome resources!), perhaps the value would be in generating a reference for a custom rom such as for HSTL or TSB'18, etc or possibly having a reference when you don't have the internet and/or your smartphone. Additionally, the script could be re-run (takes seconds) to re-generate if you want to alter the stat weights in the source code (2).

This was a project I made from the curiosity and challenge of being able to create a custom spreadsheet reference for myself, but hopefully others may find it helpful as well.

1. If this post is in the wrong spot, apologies, and fee free to re-thread

2. The script is in Perl, happy to share if anyone is interested -- or even regenerate spreadsheet and post if you send me request with rom and/or stat weights

3. These are generated through a very simple algorithm and are intended to provide a suggestion for initial lineup subs (no WR/TE allowed at RB1 btw). The team rankings are more an indication of total stat allocation across entire roster than actually being "better" e.g. PIT is not the 4th best team, but scores high for BC on O, and of course D and a bit for S/T.

5. The only other name I could think of was "TSB Grimoire" (any guitar players out there?), but it isn't nearly that expansive

6. "Roster Extractor" was found here: http://www.tecmosb.com/Downloads/Editors/Roster Extractor.zip

The 2nd TSB Book of Armaments.xlsx

Edited by Tundrayeti311
for clarity

On 10/13/2017 at 12:42 PM, Tundrayeti311 said:

@Tecmonster I used "Roster Extractor", and yes it should work on 32-team rosters too.

OK, thanks.  When you said "stat extractor" though, I didn't realize you were referring to roster/attribute extractor (vs. stats from season play).

I've been looking for a program that would extract season stats from a 32-team rom.

On 10/14/2017 at 5:44 PM, Tecmonster said:

OK, thanks.  When you said "stat extractor" though, I didn't realize you were referring to roster/attribute extractor (vs. stats from season play).

I've been looking for a program that would extract season stats from a 32-team rom.

@Tecmonster, sorry for confusion, this might be of help: http://tecmobowl.org/forums/topic/12809-tecmobowltools-stat-extractor/

Edited by Tundrayeti311

On 10/14/2017 at 10:05 AM, gojiphen malor said:

When I open a 32 team rom with Roster Extractor, the program crashes  :(

@gojiphen malor me too - for a 32-team rom, you could generate a .csv roster extract (different format than Roster Extractor) from this tool - http://tecmobowl.org/forums/topic/11106-tsb-editor-tsbtool-supreme-season-generator/

• 5 months later...

you ranked PIT having better offense than PHI?
im on the hunt to try to find the value of running quarterbacks in relation to team total offense.  i know its huge but i need to learn more of other peoples opinions.  i dont want to just throw in my own personal bias.

Edited by malferds

• 1 year later...
On 3/25/2018 at 8:33 AM, malferds said:

you ranked PIT having better offense than PHI?
im on the hunt to try to find the value of running quarterbacks in relation to team total offense.  i know its huge but i need to learn more of other peoples opinions.  i dont want to just throw in my own personal bias.

@malferds  -  no, not exactly. It was the outcome of the [crude] stat weights and ratings formulas I was using. I've adjusted recently to give less value to ball control, more value to defensive RP, and only count offensive starters. There are inherent problems with using static stat weights though. For example DB's HP - bad if 38 or less (e.g. popcorned by 88 HP RB), good if enough (63) to popcorn a 13 HP WR coming to block you, but other than that not really valuable imo i.e. 56 isn't really better than 50. That type of situation just can't be captured by score = stat1 * weight1 + stat2 * weight2, etc.