Sign in to follow this  
Bolt

WEEK 6 Predictions

Some of you are getting surly / and 3 games ahead // But WILL catch back up / and pass yo ass !...

Thursday, 10/12 8:25pmE.T.

Philadelphia @ Carolina

--------------------------------------------

Sunday, 10/15 1:00pmE.T.

Chicago @ Baltimore

Green Bay @ Minnesota

San Francisco @ washington

Detroit @ New Orleans

Miami @ Atlanta

Cleveland @ Houston

New England @ NYJets

4:05pmE.T.

Tampa Bay @ Arizona

LARams @ Jacksonville

4:25pmE.T.

LAChargers @ Oakland

Pittsburgh @ Kansas City

8:30pmE.T.

NYGiants @ Denver

Monday, 10/16 8:30pmE.T.

Indianapolis @ Tennessee

Re-cap O WEEK 5 Borgger exposé:

http://tecmobowl.org/forums/topic/69860-week-5-predictions/?do=findComment&comment=485213

Edited by Bolt
Bolded Winners.

10 hours ago, Bolt said:

Some of you are getting surly / and 3 games ahead // But WILL catch back up / and pass yo ass !...

That includes you, too, Elliot Harrison (who went 6-8 last-Week, to stand at 44-33)!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000857022/article/nfl-week-5-game-picks-pack-top-cowboys-chiefs-stay-perfect

We're comin' for ya!!!

I'll start off with the safest candidates for the Survival Pool, and then proceed to pick some additional football games I think are likely to end in a certain way.

Survival Pool Picks:

Miami Dolphins vs. Atlanta Falcons:  The Falcons are well rested following their bye week, and Julio Jones will be back in action.  Right now, with the Dolphins struggles on offense, and especially the porous play of Jay Cutler, the only way the Dolphins can win this game is if Matt Ryan suddenly tears his ACL following the first play from scrimmage or Jay Ajayay actually returns to his rookie form and snags victory from what could otherwise be a trap game.  Otherwise, I feel more confident in the Falcons winning this game.

New England Patriots vs. New York Jets:  Okay, maybe after three weeks, the Jets are now in this stage of the season where they have essentially passed the point of no return; they have no talent and should be tanking their season, and yet presumably because their head coach is fighting for his starting job in his third year, now have to keep winning in spite having next to no talent on that roster.  That can only take you so far and is thus the reason why I kept picking against them.  I'm still going to do it here.  The Patriots defense may be shit, and Tom Brady is being forced to do everything himself while taking a beating of a lifetime--at age 40 no less--but if the Patriots don't win this game, hell is going to freeze over; pigs will be flying; dogs and cats will be living together; you get the gist already.  I'm picking the Patriots.

New York Giants vs. Denver Broncos:  Yes, I'm jumping clear ahead to the Sunday Night game, which I won't be able to watch right away because I have to go somewhere.  But regardless, this is perhaps the easiest pick I can possibly make this week.  The Broncos have just come back from a much-needed bye week.  Which means much of our starting lineup should be healthy in time to combat the lowly Giants, who have pretty much lost every single solitary starting wide receiver worth a damn on that roster.  On top of that, the Giants offensive line is a patchwork; they can't run the football to save their life; and Eli Manning is already starting to hit that brick wall much earlier than anticipated.  Seriously, Bronco fan or not, how can't anybody pick them to win this week?

Not certain (but still feeling confident):

San Francisco 49ers vs. Washington Redskins:  Okay, so this isn't exactly a pick worthy of the Survival Pool for a couple of reasons.  First off, outside of the thrashing the 49ers received against the Panthers in Week 1, they have otherwise been real competitive against everybody else in spite their 0-5 start.  They were certainly a couple good plays going their way away from being 4-1 instead of 0-5.  On top of that, the Redskins' backfield has been decimated by injuries, particularly during their Monday Night loss to the Chiefs.  As  result, the window is definitely there and reasonable to expect a 49er upset.  However, the two factors I'm going to make in deciding who between these two teams would win would come down to two categories; homefield advantage, and QB play.  Kirk Cousins is definitely a good quarterback--not great, but good, with a fiery competitive edge to him for good measure.  Brian Hoyer was good in Cleveland and somewhat tolerable in Houston; but other than that, he's a journeyman backup rather than a dependable starter.  It's also a West Coast vs. East Coast game where the home team usually wins unless there's a stark, stark difference in team quality.  Add to that the fact that the 49ers may be in a state in the NFL where it's of utmost importance for the team to scout the talent on their team and draft accordingly high and smart, I still like the Redskins to win this game.  But, there is definitely a path there for the 49ers to pull off an upset.

Cleveland Browns vs. Houston Texans:  I almost made that one a survival pick because it's pretty darn clear who anybody with any sense after Week 5 had come and gone would realize that picking the Browns to win anything is detrimental to one's health; they're just going to continue to find new and inventive ways to outsuck their 2016 counterpart, and ensure the organization gets blown up yet again.  But be as it may, one has to wonder; with both their best defensive players gone and Myles Garret finally getting reps in his rookie year, what if the Texans' defense is no longer capable of stopping anybody!?  What if in order to win, Deshaun Wattson--who has otherwise been phenomenal--must carry the team on his shoulders during his rookie year!?  What if the Browns are able to slow down, if not outright stop the high-powered Texans!?  I'm still going to pick the Texans until the Browns prove otherwise, but when asking the right questions, one can perhaps see a glimmer of hope for the lowly Browns.

Green Bay Packers vs. Minnesota Vikings:  I still like the Packers to win this game--in fact, I'm going to pick them.  And while it's nowhere near close to being clear cut as say, the Redskins over the 49ers or the Texans over the Browns (especially since anybody can tell the Vikings have a phenomenal defense and a pretty tough homefield advantage to boot), as well as the fact that the Vikings have been historically known for playing the Packers pretty tough--even when the talent level clearly favors that of the Packers.  Still, we pretty much saw on display on Monday Night the offensive struggles the Vikings had at scoring points on their own.  It's doubtful we'll be seeing Sam Bradford anytime soon until he is 100% healthy again, too.  Plus, there's also the consideration that the Vikings have no running game to speak of.  The Packers defensively only need to do their job, and Aaron Rodgers can help them either win in the clutch for the umpteenth time, or torch a Vikings offense that is otherwise looking for answers.  Still, if the Vikings defense can make the same type of big plays they made against the Bears, they can win this.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs. Arizona Cardinals:  Maybe Adrian Peterson is a good fit for the Cardinals.  Maybe he is just what the Cardinals need to finally win games during regulation, and not without the help of some much-needed miracles against bottom-feeders like the Colts and 49ers.  But what I see is an act of sheer desperation that the Saints obviously took clear advantage of; it's clear as day that Peterson's career is gonna be as good as over, and that he's going to retire soon.  It's also pretty clear too that the rest of that Cardinals' offense has aged so poorly that even the Bucs' atrocious secondary wouldn't break a sweat against anybody but Larry Fitzgerald.  Literally the only factor that favors the Cardinals is the fact that they have homefield advantage in this game.  Otherwise, unless Peterson revitalizes his career here, or Fitzgerald takes enough advantage off of that horrible secondary and makes clutch game-winning catches, the game clearly favors the Bucs.  It's nowhere near enough to make it a Survival Pool candidate, however, due to Jameis Winston's inconsistency.

Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Kansas City Chiefs:  A battle against two really good football teams doesn't exactly make the decision a tough one when the star quarterback in an interview quite clearly spoke in a postgame interview that "maybe he doesn't have it in him anymore" after his team got torched by a Jaguars squad whose QB was so ineffective that he didn't even hit 100 yards passing.  Because Big Ben threw 5 picks--two of which returned for touchdowns!  Just imagine then trying to pick them over a Chiefs team that can actually produce effectively on every statistical level you can imagine!  Passing, rushing, defense, field goals, return teams, and even kicking/punting units!  Sure, maybe Big Ben is trying to stoke the team's fire while brushing off the media because he's a bit of a dickhead in real life (though to be fair, it's the media, so I guess it's understandable), but it's pretty hard to motivate a team when you state point-blank that you may not have it in you anymore.  The talent is there to pull away with an upset and save their season; but a relatively difficult pick has suddenly turned into a pick for the Chiefs that one can make with some level of confidence.

These picks are tough to make, but I at least have a little bit of confidence enough that I decided to make a decision here instead:

Carolina Panthers vs. Philadelphia Eagles:  On paper, the Eagles are perhaps a vastly superior football team.  On top of that, the Eagles will be hosting the Panthers in a dangerous environment.  So why am I going to go with the Panthers!?  Simple:  Their history of beating talented football teams.  They had narrowly escaped a low-scoring game with a win against the vaunted Buffalo Bills defense; had outscored Tom Brady's Patriots in Foxborough; and they even outscored and stuffed up the Lions in Detroit until the 4th quarter, where they tried to but failed to complete the comeback.  Considering the status as Super Bowl contenders of the Patriots or Lions when the Panthers confronted them, and considering their homefield advantages, the Panthers have been known for being one of the sneaky best football teams in the league, with a penchant for securing road upsets.  I'm not sure who is favored to win between the Panthers and Eagles, but I expect the result will be very much the same either way; the Panthers will win yet another highly contested game.  Even if I'm wrong (and I very well could be; I've simply hadn't gotten a pick right concerning the Panthers since Week 2), I still expect a highly contested game between Cam Newton and Carson Wentz.

Chicago Bears vs. Baltimore Ravens:  The only reason I even watched that pitiful excuse for a football game (seriously, 3-2!?  The amazing part was that the 3rd quarter suddenly made it a game out of nowhere, presumably because both clubs figured out how to reach the endzone without attracting the attention of some pretty trigger-happy referees) was to check out Trubisky to see if he's any good.  At the very least, he gives his team hope in actually being able to win games again.  There's also some promise on defense and special teams that will undoubtedly lead to a couple of upsets here and there.  It's really tough to gauge if the Ravens truly are a playoff contender now that the Steelers have invited a crap ton of questions as to their overall merit, or even if they are suddenly going to not suck again--they may have clobbered the Raiders last weekend, but that was somewhat expected due to the Derek Carr's injury.  And if the Bears find themselves going really far, one must wonder if the Ravens--who are clearly favored to win--could find themselves in the crosshairs of yet another promising upstart rookie QB drafted high in the 1st round, and the Bears not only win but make a statement?  So far, I've got my toggle on the Ravens, but don't let 1-4 fool you; the Bears very well could win this obvious trap game for the Ravens, and people still won't give them much notice.

LA Chargers vs. Oakland Raiders:  Like the Lions vs. Saints game, this pretty much comes down to the health of Derek Carr.  However, not only is it far more likely for Matthew Stafford to come back and at least be healthy enough to play, the same isn't true of Carr, even if he does make a speedy recovery.  It's hard to imagine this team winning games with a star quarterback who clearly isn't healthy enough to play, as the Vikings demonstrated with Sam Bradford, but at least they made the right decision of benching him at halftime.  Still, of all these hard-to-make projections on who would win in this category of hard-to-figure out, I can at least make a pick here, and that I have to go with the Chargers.  Why?  Two things; if the Chargers win, the Broncos will be heading into LA without walking straight into a trap-game scenario (so this preference is more or less a matter of want than anything).  But the second thing is more practical; if Carr doesn't play, it's hard to imagine the Raiders possibly winning.  And if he does play, it's hard to imagine Carr playing well enough to carry his team to victory.  Because clearly, Marshawn Lynch was a mistake on the Raiders' part.

And now for a few picks that aren't quite so easy to make, either due to the fact that one of the teams playing is fairly difficult to read, or because it is naturally, well, a tough pick:

Detroit Lions vs. New Orleans Saints:  On paper, this should be a game I can make with confidence in favor of the Lions.  But given that Matthew Stafford had hurt his leg in the loss to the Saints, it will likely come down to a game-time decision on who I would ultimately pick to win between these two teams.  And even then, if Stafford's injury is enough to hamper his performance, we might be looking at a Saints upset even if he pops up onto the field.  Still, he is a pretty tough athlete, and it's pretty clear he's hungry for a Super Bowl Championship.  I guess by the time a QB hits the age of 30, they suddenly find themselves starving for meaningful results and start performing on an MVP-caliber level.  As such, my pick is simple; if Stafford is healthy enough to play, then I'll pick the Lions to win.  But if Stafford can't play, then I'm going to have to go with the Saints.  Still, Stafford's return doesn't exactly make it a safe pick to make, especially if it's enough to hold his team back.

LA Rams vs. Jacksonville Jaguars:  You know, of all the teams in the NFL so far this season, the one that has caused me the most grief by far has to be the Jaguars!  Sure, on paper, the Rams should be the easy pick to make to run up the score and win this thing while Blake Bortles throws enough interceptions to kill whatever shot that ruthless defense and efficient ground attack has at winning this game.  But seriously, what the hell are they!?  Every time I expect them to lose, they win!  Every time I feel like buying into these guys and pick them to win, they lose!  Just...how good are they, really!?  Because if they're merely good enough to win the division, that still doesn't tell us much given the problems the other teams in that division need to overcome.  Be as it may, that defense can be the greatest the league has ever seen and they'd still lose the Super Bowl, and for much the same reason as the Bears did against the Colts; because somebody is going to make Blake Bortles win the game for them.  Seriously, fuck this team and their total lack of consistency!  I just can't figure this team out for the life of me!  As such, I have absolutely no confidence whatsoever on whatever pick I make concerning this team!

Indianapolis Colts vs. Tennessee Titans:  Truth be told, this game would be a slightly easier pick to make with confidence if Marcus Mariota were to start in this game.  And even then, Jacoby Brissett seems like he's playing well enough in Andrew Luck's absence to barely pull away with some wins--granted, those two wins came against the Browns and 49ers, but if the Titans are comparably bad as those two teams (especially without Mariota), then the Colts are, well, more realistically probable at winning this game.  If Mariota returns and is healthy enough (and since he's day-to-day instead of projected to miss a couple weeks), however, then the game's favor definitely suits the Titans, though again, that's no sure thing.  It's kind of like the Lions vs. Saints game in that regard, only more clearer, yet broadened.  It's not exactly an easy pick to make either way.  Still, it's a Monday Night game, so I at least have enough time to make a decision here.

I may continue this format from this day forward.  Still, here's the sum-up of every pick thus far:  Panthers, Falcons, Packers, Patriots, Redskins, Ravens, Texans, Buccaneers, Chiefs, Chargers, and Broncos.

The Lions vs. Saints; Rams vs. Jaguars; and Colts vs. Titans will be picks I'll be making later.  Though if I could, I'd simply skip making a pick between the Rams and Jaguars because I lost every last one of my Jaguars picks thus far this season and hate picking games involving them.  Though right now, I'm leaning more towards Lions, Rams, and Titans; I'm just not confident enough to make those picks.

Philadelphia @ Carolina

Chicago @ Baltimore

Green Bay @ Minnesota

San Francisco @ Washington

Detroit @ New Orleans

Miami @ Atlanta

Cleveland @ Houston

New England @ NYJets

Tampa Bay @ Arizona

LARams @ Jacksonville

LAChargers @ Oakland

Pittsburgh @ Kansas City

NYGiants @ Denver

Indianapolis @ Tennessee

I had a hard time picking between Kansas City and Pittsburgh, myself. On one hand Alex Smith and the D are both firing on cylinders, but the main question is can the receivers we have as backups pick up the tab for a injured Conley?  Pittsburgh will probably find any way to win themselves, and to knock the Chiefs down a peg.

On 10/11/2017 at 7:11 PM, TecmoSuperFan said:

I had a hard time picking between Kansas City and Pittsburgh, myself. On one hand Alex Smith and the D are both firing on cylinders, but the main question is can the receivers we have as backups pick up the tab for a injured Conley?  Pittsburgh will probably find any way to win themselves, and to knock the Chiefs down a peg.

This is an honest assessment.

And yet,

Fat-boy roethlisberger:  I don't believe you.

K.C gonna beat your ass, this weekend

Edited by Bolt

Philadelphia @ Carolina

Chicago @ Baltimore

Green Bay @ Minnesota

San Francisco @ Washington

Detroit @ New Orleans

Miami @ Atlanta

Cleveland @ Houston

New England @ NYJets

Tampa Bay @ Arizona

LARams @ Jacksonville

LAChargers @ Oakland

Pittsburgh @ Kansas City

NYGiants @ Denver

Indianapolis @ Tennessee

Eagles vs refs tonight. Too bad.

edit: overcame refs

eagles are a pretty good team. Somehow I've got to watch most of their games so I was expecting this win.

Edited by buck

Okay, I might as well make a contingency here.  Once again, I'm going to have to pick against the Jaguars.  I have at this point in time never gotten a pick concerning the Jaguars right, and by my own reasoning, I am bound to get one pick concerning this team right.  As such, I'm going to pick the Rams to beat the Jaguars, and use that pick as a win-win situation going forward.  If the Jaguars happen to lose to the Rams, then cuddos me; I got a pick concerning them right.  But if I get them wrong, it will at least provide a little bit of validity concerning the Jaguars going forward that they are actually pretty good.

Why do I not totally buy the Jaguars yet?  Simple:  Blake Bortles!  Can anybody honestly believe that Blake Bortles is even remotely capable of carrying a team on his shoulders?  He needs a defense that gets to the quarterback and forces turnovers like crazy, as well as a capable rushing attack in order to win games.  He's pretty much this generation's Rex Grossman.  In other words, the Jaguars under Doug Marrone and Tom Coughlin can definitely win games, and definitely have a capacity to be a genuinely good game; but it's difficult to rely on them.  I suspect that the Jaguars' success as they are now is going to be similarly to the Bears from 2004-2006, on the short term.  If they can't win the Super Bowl with their own defense and within the next year or two, they're gonna take a nose-dive as Deshaun Watson skyrockets his Texans squad to an inevitable trip to the Super Bowl.

As such, I'm gonna go with the Rams here and roll the dice on fate concerning the true metal of the Jaguars.  I may be expecting to get this pick wrong, but at least then I'm jinxing myself to some clearer answers.  Or if I get the pick right, I at least got a pick right with the Jaguars.

I'm going to go out of my way and use Tecmonster's Tecmo Super Bow 2018 rom to predict the outcome of certain games and then contrast them with mine.  For argument's sake, the starting ranking will be identical for the both of us, with the lone stipulation being that my rom predicts a Buccaneers victory against the Dolphins, and the Broncos defeating the Cowboys; the Bucs and Dolphins have yet to play each other, and no matter how many tries, the Broncos always beaten the Cowboys (so in hindsight, picking the Cowboys in that game was a really, really bad idea).  Here's some interesting tidbits so far:

AFC East:  Patriots are 5-0, the Bills and Dolphins are both 2-3, and the Jets are 0-5.

AFC North:  The Steelers are 5-0, the Ravens are 3-2, and the Bengals and Browns are both 2-3, with the Browns winning the tiebreaker.

AFC South:  The Titans and Texans are both 3-2 with the Titans winning the tiebreaker, the Jaguars are 2-3, and the Colts are 1-4.

AFC West:  While my picks would have both the Chiefs and Broncos atop at 3-2 and 3-1 respectively, Tecmo keeps sticking with a 4-0 record instead of 3-1 for the Broncos.  The Raiders are also 2-3, and the Chargers are 1-4, even though their wins are against different teams.

NFC East:  The Eagles lead the division at 4-2, the Giants are 3-2, and the Cowboys are 2-3.  The Redskins are 0-4.

NFC North:  The Packers and Lions are both undefeated at 5-0, the Vikings are a measely 1-4, and the Bears are still winless.

NFC South:  So far, everybody is looking pretty good at 2-2 or better.  The Panthers are 4-2, and the Bucs are 3-2.  Both the Saints and Falcons are 2-2 due to a bye week.

NFC West:  The Rams are 4-1 with the big change being that they lost to the Cowboys.  The Seahawks and Cardinals both take up the rear at 2-3 apiece, and the 49ers are still winless.

Now to see what Tecmonster thinks is going to win this week:

Baltimore Ravens vs. Chicago Bears:  According to Tecmo, the Bears will rally behind Trubisky to get his first win of the season 20-16 in the 4th quarter.

Houston Texans vs. Cleveland Browns:  The Browns suffering continues in the real world while Deshaun Watson continues carrying his team to new heights.

Green Bay Packers vs. Minnesota Vikings:  Both Tecmonster and myself are in agreement with this game, and Tecmonster still projects the Packers to remain undefeated.

New Orleans Saints vs. Detroit Lions:  Tecmonster projects the Lions would win, but that's with Matthew Stafford in the lineup.  Without Stafford, the Saints look like big winners.

Atlanta Falcons vs. Miami Dolphins:  The Falcons win this one.

New England Patriots vs. New York Jets:  The Jets pull off a big upset against the Patriots, huh?  Well, considering the way both teams have been playing, this is a realistic possibility.

Washington Redskins vs. San Francisco 49ers:  A clash between two winless teams, Tecmonster at least picked the more believable choice--the one that actually looked good in real life.

Arizona Cardinals vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers:  Tecmonster picks the Bucs to win.

Jacksonville Jaguars vs. LA Rams:  The Jaguars will lose Fournette to injury, and the Rams will escape with a win.

Kansas City Chiefs vs. Pittsburgh Steelers:  Huh, I kind of wish Tecmonster's prediction does turn out right here.  The Steelers pull away with an upset.

Oakland Raiders vs. LA Chargers:  Tecmonster predicts an LA Chargers upset.  And keep in mind, that was with Derek Carr in the lineup!

Denver Broncos vs. New York Giants:  The Broncos steamroll the Giants.

Tennessee Titans vs. Indianapolis Colts:  The game assumes that with both Mariota and Luck healthy enough to play that the Titans would still clobber the Colts.  Both quarterbacks out in turn would result in a Colts victory.  Each quarterback starting while the other one being benched will result in the starting QB's victory.  But the margin of victory appears to strongly favor the Titans.

I'm going to rearrange my picks for tomorrow in descending order from easiest to hardest.  Just a simple summary will do:

New York Giants vs. Denver Broncos:  The only way the Broncos can possibly lose to a team utterly decimated by injuries like the Giants is if we defeat ourselves.  And if the last couple of weeks is any indication, that's definitely within the realm of possibility, especially with that predictable coaching decisions.  But it's this week's Survival Pick.

Miami Dolphins vs. Atlanta Falcons:  Or, if you wish to find a more confident pick, then the Falcons are there for you.  Still, the Dolphins haven't suffered any serious injuries on either side of the ball, and if their offense can get in gear and Ajayay returns to old form, there is a recipe there for an upset.  It happened last year; why not against this year?  Still, until proven otherwise, I can't see the Falcons losing this game.

New England Patriots vs. New York Jets:  If the Jets were playing just about any other team not named the Chiefs, this would be a slightly more difficult pick to make.  As is, the Patriots know what is at stake and they probably will need to win out their next 5-6 games if they want to have any chance at making the playoffs.  If they can't even beat the Jets, well, don't panic yet (unless Tom Brady gets seriously injured), but consider giving the panic button a close look.

Cleveland Browns vs. Houston Texans:  Screw all these experts that keep saying that Hogan would be a better QB because all that is moot and irrelevant anyways; you're the Browns; you had a couple matchup with some bottom-feeders.  And you STILL CAN'T WIN!?  Not saying they can't here--especially with J.J. Watt and Merciless out for the season.  But if at any point in time, Deshaun Watson begins lighting up the score board, buh-bye.

Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Kansas City Chiefs:  Yes, on paper, the Steelers can play toe-to-toe against the Chiefs.  But it's plenty difficult to pick the Steelers for an upset when you hear these comments coming from Big Ben about how he might not have it in him anymore after he did everything he could to kill his own team!  Even if he was being sarcastic, there's nothing positive to gain out of this other than hopefully fueling overzealous confidence in the Chiefs squad.  It would be convenient for me as a Bronco fan if the upset did occur, however.  Heck, Tecmo predicted a Steelers upset, so what do I know?

San Francisco 49ers vs. Washington Redskins:  The Redskins are huge favorites here, and I can see why.  Still, the 49ers have been awfully competitive so far this year.  Those looking to make some money, it wouldn't be a bad idea to consider betting on the 49ers--even if they lose, chances are, the Redskins will have to battle it out without Josh Norman for all 4 quarters.  I still love the Redskins over the 49ers--the west vs. east type duel does help the Redskins further.  Just don't be surprised if the 49ers play the Redskins tough is all.

Green Bay Packers vs. Minnesota Vikings:  The Vikings and Mike Zimmer is likely going to give Aaron Rodgers some fits.  But it's really hard to pick against Rodgers and the Packers when the Vikings offensive core is largely depleted, and on a short week no less.  Still, the recipe is there for yet another ugly win.  But I have to go with the Packers here.

Chicago Bears vs. Baltimore Ravens:  So, which Ravens squad will we get?  Will we get the Ravens team that utterly dismantled the Bungles, Browns, and Raiders?  Or will we get the Ravens team that got utterly clobbered by the Jaguars and Steelers?  The Bears may similarly be a bottom-feeder like the other teams, but we still have yet to witness Mitchell Trubisky's full potential.  As a result, this pick is a more cautionary one.  But I still prefer the Ravens.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs. Arizona Cardinals:  Curiously, the lowest betting odds of ALL of the games so far this week (not counting Monday Night due to the QB situation in Tennessee).  Maybe it's due to the fact that the Bucs have failed miserably when it comes to kicking field goals.  Still, when you watch the Cardinals play, it's some of the most uncomfortable and most cringe-inducing of all units in the entire league.  It may be that east vs. west thing again, but that mostly favors the east when it comes to home teams.  If the Bucs can settle down that kicking unit, or better yet, not have to worry about any clutch situations, they'll win this game.  The Cardinals literally need the cards to fall in their favor just to win.

LA Chargers vs. Oakland Raiders:  Yeah, yeah, Derek Carr is going to be coming back, in spite a fracture in his back, which if anything else just simply screams of "desperation," and perhaps even irresponsibility.  Sure, maybe Carr is a tough dude and plays through it like a champ.  But that's a mighty big IF considering the fact that it was the kind of injury that typically takes 2-6 weeks to recover from, and was one of many factors that plagued Tony Romo's 2014 and 2015 seasons.  I might be shooting myself in the foot with this pick, but I still think the Chargers are going to win.  This is more of a gutsy call on my end than anything.  Then again, I am being wishful in my thinking.

Detroit Lions vs. New Orleans Saints:  Okay, so it does appear that Matthew Stafford will be starting, and yet the Saints are still favored to win.  By over 5 points no less.  Maybe Stafford will be healthy enough, and he works his magic against the Saints.  Maybe he underestimates the Saints' defense, and Drew Brees torches the Lions defense big time.  Maybe Stafford isn't healthy at all.  Somehow, I am finding my pick of the Lions to be a less confident pick.

LA Rams vs. Jacksonville Jaguars:  And here's the hardest pick of the week.  BECAUSE I CAN'T FIGURE THIS TEAM OUT FOR THE LIFE OF ME!  I've already made my rant, and I ultimately made the decision that if I am ever to figure out if the Jaguars are for real, I'm going to use a sleight of hand and use abstract logic in determining who will win.  I'm picking the Rams to see if I once again get the pick wrong.  If my pick is wrong, then the Jaguars will become a more dependable pick going forward.  But if the Rams win, hooray!  I finally got a pick concerning the GODDAMN JAGUARS correct!  Fuck it!

And I'm still holding off on the Colts vs. Titans; that will be game-day decision, obviously due to the Marcus Mariota situation.  Long-story short though; if he's out, then the Colts are likely to win.  If he starts, then I'm liking the Titans.  Simple as that.

And if Aaron Rodgers getting carted off is any indication, I'm gonna guess the Packer legend has a broken arm.  If my assessment is correct, the Packers are royally screwed.  Aw, who am I kidding; the Lions will probably blow their one big opportunity to finally win their division come the month of December.

Hey, ya'll.  I couldn't bring myself to pick the Jets, with Bilal Powell inactive.  I know you're disappointed.

You'll be even more so when the Jets win anyway.

(But I won't.)

And...the Atlanta Falcons are now on the brink of collapse against the Dolphins.  Well, at least I didn't make them my number 1 Survival Pick of the Week--that would be the Broncos.  Man, that Dolphins squad is playing good defense right now.  And so are the Vikings, even before Aaron Rodgers got carted off.  And as was expected, the 49ers are making it competitive against the Redskins.

Another game on upset alert is the Bears vs. Ravens.  So in total, I am winning 3 of my picks, losing in two others, and the other two teams are tied 17-17 each.

Here-reflects my correct yahoo-Pickems ...

San Francisco @ washington

Detroit @ New Orleans

Cleveland @ Houston

New England @ NYJets

Tampa Bay @ Arizona

LARams @ Jacksonville

LAChargers @ Oakland

Indianapolis @ Tennessee

not great; but good-enough to move me into a tie atop the Week, and into 3rd overall

Edited by Bolt

Well I switched off my Denver survivor pick at the last minute to Washington...which is looking great. 

But Washington nearly gave the game away with huge turnovers and poor end of game mangement. Only a 49er offensive pass interference penalty really saved the day asthe 49ers were in range for a long Fg to win it. 

Looking like survivor pool will be down to 6 after this week unless Denver makes a big comeback.