4:25pmE.T.

Green Bay @ Dallas

8:30pmE.T.

Kansas City @ Houston

--------------------------------------------

Monday, 10/9 8:30pmE.T.

Minnesota @ Chicago

Re-cap O' WEEK 4 Borgger exploits:

http://tecmobowl.org/forums/topic/69836-week-4-predictions/?do=findComment&comment=48488

Edited by Bolt
Bolded Winners.

Thursday, 10/5 8:25pmE.T.

New England @ Tampa Bay

Sunday, 10/8 1:00pmE.T.

San Francisco @ Indianapolis

NYJets @ Cleveland

Jacksonville @ Pittsburgh

LAChargers @ NYGiants

Buffalo @ Cincinnati

Carolina @ Detroit

Tennessee @ Miami

Arizona @ Philadelphia

4:05pmE.T.

Baltimore @ Oakland

Seattle @ LARams

Green Bay @ Dallas

Kansas City @ Houston

Minnesota @ Chicago

I'm gonna start with Thursday night, and then go with the easy picks (well, what I'd consider "easy," in this weird-ass season thus far):

New England Patriots vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers:  The Patriots will need to make some adjustments on defense on such a short week.  But if there's a silver lining, the Buccaneers did get clobbered by Case Keenum.  So if the Patriots can make the necessary adjustments and force turnovers against Jameis Winston, the Patriots could easily win.  I'm gonna hold my breath though; nothing against the Bucs, but if the Patriots were to lose to them, they'll be in serious trouble.  It's time for them to be "on in Tampa Bay."

LA Chargers vs. New York Giants:  Here's how I'm going to break this down since both teams have 4th quarter clutch problems that oddly enough overlap with one another.  The Giants will retake the lead with 3 minutes left in regulation.  The Chargers makes steady progress going downfield.  The Chargers line up for a chipshot field goal.  And their kicker misses the easiest game-winner of his life.  Thus, giving the Giants the win.  Of course, the Chargers could just as easily, you know, bury the Giants.  But I digress.

Buffalo Bills vs. Cincinnati Bengals:  If the Bills truly are legit, then they should be able to shut down the Bungles and pull away with a win.  They better not be looking ahead to next week or the week after; if they go 4-0 in the month of October, they'll make the playoffs.  3-1 may be assuring as well, but it's a tough sell if they can't even beat the Bungles.  Especially if people are expecting the Patriots to bounce back in a big way and they are successful in doing so.

Arizona Cardinals vs. Philadelphia Eagles:  Not only do we have a west coast team going to the east coast to play a game, but the west coast team is really old, while the east coast team is quite young.  The Cardinals needed overtime to beat two of the worst teams in the NFL.  The Eagles, on the other hand, have had quality wins against the Redskins, Giants, and Chargers, and played the Chiefs tough in a loss (okay, so two of those teams are currently winless, but I digress).  What do I think?  I think the Eagles are going to win this.  Because the Cardinals suck.

Baltimore Ravens vs. Oakland Raiders:  With Derek Carr expected to miss some time, the Raiders are now clearly in trouble.  Unless E.J. Manuel can get it together, or if Joe Flacco continues to self-destruct, I don't know how the Raiders can win.  Keep in mind that without Derek Carr at the end of last season, the Raiders were utterly humiliated by Brock Osweiler of all people.  And it was totally expected that the Raiders were going to lose to who would otherwise have been an easy one-and-done.  So I have to go with the Ravens.

And if you want to know why the Jaguars vs. Steelers isn't an obvious pick--even though I'm leaning towards the Steelers winning that game--it's because they have a tendency for playing like shit against bad football teams.  Case in point--they lost to Mike Glennon a couple of weeks ago.  Also, we are not quite sure if Marcus Mariota will be healthy enough to play against the Dolphins, either.

Thursday, 10/5 8:25pmE.T.

New England @ Tampa Bay

Sunday, 10/8 1:00pmE.T.

San Francisco @ Indianapolis

NYJets @ Cleveland

Jacksonville @ Pittsburgh

LAChargers @ NYGiants

Buffalo @ Cincinnati

Carolina @ Detroit

Tennessee @ Miami

Arizona @ Philadelphia

4:05pmE.T.

Baltimore @ Oakland

Seattle @ LARams

Green Bay @ Dallas

Kansas City @ Houston

Minnesota @ Chicago

TecmoSuperFan...  Paging all, @TecmoSuperFans...

We need you for future WEEK 5 2017 pickems.

I know you're nervous about

Sunday, 10/8 7:30pmC.T.

Kansas City @ Houston

... But, c'mon REPRESENT {the best team in football}!

Over.

i'm here! I think the Houston/Kansas City matchup may be the toughest one yet with DeShaun Watson facing off against a Kansas City defense missing their leader in #29. As well as #27 facing a defense led by Cushing and Watt. 

@TecmoSuperFanYou forgot to make a pick tonight between the Patriots and Buccaneers.

buckle say what? (sorry, but I have no idea who that is supposed to be here) tried to be a bit different and picked the Buccaneers.  Maybe had they had an actual kicker, the Bucs could have won that game.  Still, the Patriots were good in their own right.

Now I'm tied with Grogan's Hidden Stats (again, no idea who that's supposed to be since apparently, that wasn't the real Grogan) for 1st place so far this week.  I'm guessing that one might be Bolt.  But I have no idea who buckle say what? is supposed to be at all.  Who picked the Bucs?  Who knows?  Anyways, I'm going to make a couple more picks for this week:

New York Jets vs. Cleveland Browns:  You know it's really hard to get behind a team when they can't seem to win.  So far, I've only picked them to win once, and it was such an easy pick, and they still found a way to lose.  The Jets, on the other hand, have been finding ways to overachieve lately.  After all, the Jets clobbered a Dolphins team at home that suddenly forgot how to move the ball downfield and hit the endzone, and barely won in overtime against a Jaguars team recovering from jetlag...no pun intended (especially since the Jets did everything they could to lose that game, only to derp their way to victory at the last second).  Still, the Browns have been heavily unproductive as of late, outside of garbage time.  Still, if there's a chance for the Browns to end their losing streak, now's the time to do it.  Progress has to start somewhere, and I still am not convinced the Jets are going to be even remotely close to being decent this year.  I think the Browns finally put something together this week.  I may be in the minority at this point in time, but winning records at this point in time mean nothing (after all, a lot of 2-2 teams were either extremely lucky to have won those two games, or have been very unfortunate or unlucky to have lost that many games already).  As such, I'm going with the Browns.

Jacksonville Jaguars vs. Pittsburgh Steelers:  On paper, this should be an easy pick for the Steelers.  However, there are two factors to take into consideration here; first off, the fact that the Steelers are notorious for playing down to their opponent's perceived level--just remember that they lost to the fucking Bears a couple weeks ago.  Second, I must emphasize the "perceived" part again because for all they know, the Steelers consider the Jaguars to be overrated trash that breezed to 2 wins early on, only for the Jaguars to reveal themselves as actually being fairly competent.  You never know.  However, while I still had the nagging feeling that the Bears were going to pull off that upset win a couple weeks ago and simply chickened out at the last moment, there is one reason specifically as to why I think the Jaguars will ultimately lose in OT against the Steelers--Blake Bortles.  Even when the Jaguars are clobbering their opponents, the man has clearly lost his confidence from the last couple seasons being stuck with teams that couldn't even come close to 8-8 and a coaching staff that was up until recently headed by Gus Bradley--now regarded as one of the worst coaches of all time.  As such, the man has developed into a turnover machine, and it's doubtful that he'll be able to fully recover.  I recommend drafting a new QB, Jacksonville; you're too talented to be THIS bad THIS long.

Carolina Panthers vs. Detroit Lions:  Maybe Cam Newton is returning to his MVP form--especially given that he essentially carried his team to an upset victory against the Patriots last week.  However, the Panthers are still very much in porous condition offensively, and they were able to win against the team that is currently packing the league's worst overall offense.  The Lions, on the other hand, are not only one of the better defensive units in the NFL at this point in time, but rival the Chiefs for being the most well-balanced of NFL clubs at this point in time.  Another upset win against the Lions will send a message that the Panthers are very much for real, but I'm picking the Lions...unless the referees decide to screw the Lions over again by overturning yet another game-winning touchdown.

Seattle Seahawks vs. LA Rams:  Okay, the last time we saw an elite defense match up against an elite offense that involved the Seahawks, they got their asses handed to them on a silver platter.  It's clear to me that the Seahawks are a shell of their former selves, and with these National Anthem protests and the toxic presence that men like Kam Chancellor, Michael Bennett, and especially Richard Sherman have become (and in spite all their talent surrounding them), and the Seahawks becoming the Social Justice Warriors of the NFL, they have been spending more time preparing for how they're going to protest the Anthem as a team than they have at developing a game plan.  Plus, our main players on their Legion of Boom are hogging up so much cap space as of late that sooner or later, the Legion of Boom is going to go boom and blow itself up to smithereens.  Oh, and their rookie star RB is out for the year, and their offensive line is still shit--they even gave the Colts a chance to win last week before waking up in the 4th quarter and realized how utterly humiliating that would be before pounding the Colts into the dirt where they belong.  The Rams, meanwhile, have yet to play a quality opponent, and have a defense that so far rivals that of the Patriots, Cowboys, and Buccaneers for nonexistence.  Still, considering how badly they embarrassed the Colts back in Week 1, I think they can still very much get to Russell Wilson and shift the game in their favor.  I'm picking the Rams to finally make a statement.  If they can't even get that done, well, my skepticism would thus be justified.  They are fun to watch now, however.

Green Bay Packers vs. Dallas Cowboys:  Speaking of which, even though it's in Dallas, Aaron Rodgers is playing on an MVP level yet again, and I am looking to watch them battle and beat the Cowboys Sunday afternoon.  Shockingly enough, this isn't a night game.  I imagine it might be a fun watch, though.

And I'm going to hold off on making my remaining night picks until the night before.  And I'm going to wait for a game-time decision concerning Marcus Mariotta and Andrew Luck before picking their respective games.  Though for now, with or without them, I'm still leaning on the Titans and Colts to win their respective games (though if Brandon Wheedon is playing the Dolphins...man, even I can't bring myself to pick Wheedon over an ineffective Dolphins offense).

Either way, I won't wait too long before making my decision.  Because I want to go out and have some fun this weekend, and that pretty much means no football.  At least the Broncos have their bye this week, so now's the best time to do it.

'Tis not I.

2 hours ago, Mike Gordan said:

Grogan's Hidden Stats (again, no idea who that's supposed to be since apparently, that wasn't the real Grogan).  I'm guessing that one might be Bolt.

'Tis not I ...

I am Jebediah.  I am ColorMePurple (an ode to wannabe Viking-fandom).  I am, the original...  Bolt Elvis.

I'm tempted to say who everyone else is - in Bodom's set up yahoo-Group - but that's probably not my place.

Also, aNYone who picks against the Jets, does so at their own peril!  :wink:

Edited by Bolt

Okay, time for my final Week 5 predictions:

Carolina Panthers vs. Detroit Lions:  On paper, the Panthers are statistically the superior team in every way, in spite being without Greg Olsen for the year.  Though not by much.  However, there is one particular stat that I find rather striking, and that's the Lions' turnover differential--+9 after four games.  In addition to that, the Lions, though not a defensive stud by any stretch of the imagination, is much more aggressive and is a much hungrier football club overall than that of the Panthers.  I think the universal pick--especially among the Social Justice Warriors around the NFL--should probably be the Lions.  Can the Panthers win?  Sure.  But that pretty much applies to every team this week...except the Broncos, Redskins, Saints, and Falcons, of course.

Jacksonville Jaguars vs. Pittsburgh Steelers:  Almost forgot that one.  I'm picking the Steelers.  Yes, the Steelers are notorious for playing down to their opponents' level.  Yes, statistically speaking, and based on the way their offense has been playing, they don't seem to match up particularly well with a Jaguars squad that currently holds a massive NFL lead in sacks so far this year.  But if there's one thing I know, it's that Blake Bortles is a turnover machine who can only really get stuff done during garbage time.  I'm at least more confident in my Steelers pick now than I was a couple weeks ago when the Steelers played the Bears.

Buffalo Bills vs. Cincinnati Bengals:  It's a top tier defense with a relatively weak offense versus a suddenly good offense with some aggressive defensive playmakers.  And it's in Cincinnati.  And this game has all the makings of being a trap game.  However, the Bills haven't made the playoffs since the Music City Miracle, and they now have an opportunity to keep ahead of the Patriots in their divisional rankings.  On top of that, two of the Bengals primary weapons on offense are ruled out for tomorrow.  All the Bills need to do is dominate time of possession, run the ball a bit, pass when necessary, and pressure Andy Dalton all game long and force turnovers.  The Bengals could become a trap game scenario, but if the Bills keep focus on their objective to finally take the next step and make the playoffs, they'll win this game.

NY Jets vs. Cleveland Browns:  Here are a few reasons why the Browns are going to beat the Jets.  Some of the only players worth a damn on the Jets' squad will not be able to play this week; the Jets will have to travel; and they have been overachieving against two lackluster football clubs.  The Browns, however, not only scream "trap game," but are also looking for their first win of the season.  They still have plenty of games against weak football clubs left on their roster too, and the Jets are the second shot at a bad team the Browns have.  Oh, and Myles Garrett will finally get his start on the field.  I think the Browns are going to win this game.

Tennessee Titans vs. Miami Dolphins:  So the legends were true after all; the Dolphins will indeed have an actual home game this season.  In addition to that, the Titans appear to be in a position where they'll have no choice but to bench Marcus Mariota, which means Brandon Wheedon gets to start....who is quite possibly the single worst QB in the entire NFL right now, especially given that the guy hasn't won a single game since 2012.  Not that the Titans can't win this game--especially given the utter lack of production from the Dolphins' offense so far this year.  But we have been here before with the Dolphins--started the season looking like shit, only to turn around the very next week with a big win against a playoff contender which in turn sparked a massive winning streak that would help send the Dolphins from arguably being the worst team on football alongside the Bears, 49ers and Browns to sudden playoff team.  If the Dolphins wish to make a bounceback and return to form, a home win against the pedestrian Titans squad would be the first place for them to go.

San Francisco 49ers vs. Indianapolis Colts:  Ugh...I really hate having to pick this team.  Why couldn't either one of these teams look competent?  Or capable?  They are among the three or so worst teams in all of football for a reason.  They lack any sort of offensive production--minus their Week 3 scoring frenzies that came the fuck out of nowhere; they're next to devoid of any semblance of talent; and these teams couldn't stop the other team from scoring.  It's a team that does everything right only to fall apart in the end versus a team that seems disinterested in winning.  If Andrew Luck was healthy enough to start this game, I'd pick the Colts in a heartbeat.  But at least both Brian Hoyer and Jacoby Brissett actually look capable of actually managing a football game.  But if I have to risk shooting myself in the foot here and risk losing a big, one, I'm gonna have to stick by the Colts.  Why?  Two words:  Pass Rush.  Shockingly enough, the only consistently good thing about the Colts is their ability to rush the QB and shut down the run.  As a result, the Colts should be able to match up well against Brian Hoyer, who is only capable of winning games when he is granted acceptable pass protection. He does have a running game to rely on, but if the Colts Pash Rush can sack the QB repeatedly, they can shut down the running attack as well.

LA Chargers vs. NY Giants:  Ugh...why is it that both NFL teams have to be this bad!?  Okay, if there's one thing I know about this matchup, it's that Eli Manning, to this day, has never been able to defeat the Chargers.  And I mean NEVER defeat the Chargers.  Which I find rather shocking to say the least.  I also learned that the Chargers have cut their rookie kicker after his first two weeks of losing badly in the clutch.  Eli only has two more teams left in the NFL to defeat--the other being the Colts.  Could tomorrow finally be his time to not only help his team get their first win of the season, but also his 30th NFL club defeated?  Hard to say.  I'm probably going to regret this pick given the history between Eli Manning and Phillip Rivers, but...fuck it!  I'm going with the Giants.

Arizona Cardinals vs. Philadelphia Eagles:  This game just screams Survival Pool pick.  Not really sure what people see in this matchup that could possibly favor the Cardinals--outside of recent history where after a 3-1 start, the Eagles fell apart.  I just think that the Cardinals' offensive unit is aging badly and hasn't been the least bit productive all year long.  We had to watch as this team constantly plays catch-up against every team they play, and being in need of overtime just to defeat the Colts and 49ers thank to some derpy action.  It could be a trap game.  But I still like the Eagles to win this game...okay, I'd much prefer that the Cardinals win, but you know what I mean.  I'm picking the Eagles.

Baltimore Ravens vs. Oakland Raiders:  Okay, so E.J. Manuel isn't quite as bad as Brandon Wheedon.  The fact that they have invested so much faith in this guy after the disastrous way their season ended previously after Derek Carr broke his arm is proof positive that this isn't a pick of confidence I'm making.  Compounded by the fact too that the Ravens are travelling all the way to the west coast to play the Raiders--Joe Flacco's career record thus far on the west coast happens to be 2-3.  Still, be as it may, I think the Ravens are going to win this game and attempt to salvage their season.  Either way, the loser will officially find themselves sinking into quicksand.  Either way I pick, I'm predicting that my pick will likely turn out wrong.

Seattle Seahawks vs. LA Rams:  Two teams that are effectively opposites in every way.  The Rams have practically became the Greatest Show on Turf fully revived, while the Legion of Boom is beginning to find its strides.  The Seahawks' offensive line is still arguably the worst in the entire league, though that shouldn't be much of a problem against the Rams' defense.  Still, if there's one mismatch to keep an eye out, it's Todd Gurley against the Seahawks' run defense.  That is it's Achilles heel, and that will be where the outcome of this game will be descided upon.  Todd Gurley matches up well, the Rams have historically played their best football against the Seahawks, and it's at home.  If the Rams win this, we'll know they're for real.  Not only do I like the Rams, but I want them to win this game.  Seriously, I can't stand the Seahawks.

Green Bay Packers vs. Dallas Cowboys:  Okay, this is admittedly a tougher game to predict than I initially thought.  Granted, I like Aaron Rodgers more than I do Dak Prescott.  And Aaron Rodgers is playing on an MVP caliber level right now.  I think the Cowboys are in a more urgent position right now than the Packers.  It's also at home, and the Cowboys can hypothetically get their act together and dominate the time of possession.  But who will I pick to win but the Packers?  Seriously, I have greater confidence in that team winning than I do the Cowboys.  And like the Ravens and Raiders, I suspect no matter where I swing, I'll end up losing in the end.

Kansas City Chiefs vs. Houston Texans:  The question remains as to who will be the first team in the NFL to upset the Chiefs and end their perfect season and thus inviting the surviving members of the 1972 to pop yet another glass of Champaign.  Well, considering the fact that while a lot of people have now suddenly put Deshaun Wattson on notice following his previous two week performances against the Patriots and Titans (he already has 100 points on the year), it's highly likely that some teams may find themselves in a position where they aren't quite taking the Texans totally seriously yet.  I smell a trap.  And I'm predicting an upset--the Texans will defeat the Chiefs and solidify their overall standing in the NFL.

The hardest game to pick this week by far is Minnesota Vikings vs. Chicago Bears.  Mainly due to the fact that we do not quite know yet just how well Trubisky can hold up on a professional football field, and against a solid defense.  We also do not know how well the Vikings can fare with RB Dalvin Cook out for the year.  Still, if Sam Bradford is healthy enough to play, it becomes a little easier to make a decision.  But Mitch Trubisky's first start and the loss of Dalvin Cook still puts a monkey wrench in any level of validity I can provide as to who would win and why.  As such, I'm going to wait until Monday Night football before making a decision.

Hope I win big this week.  Having a bad feeling, however, that my picks will end up blowing up in my face regardless.  Doesn't help the fact that so many of this weekend's picks are filled to the brim with questionmarks because there's no rhyme or reason to anything so far this season.  God, this product sucks.

From what I've gathered, buck is buckle say what?, Kamp da Tramp is somebody I have yet to see comment yet, and TC's ColorMePurple.  TecmoSuperFan and I are the only ones using our usernames here over on the Pick'em group.

I have no idea who Grogan's Hidden Stats is supposed to be.  Bodom and Gojiphen Malor both seem to fit similar descriptions, but their voting contradicts that of Grogan's in a couple of places.  For all I know, Grogan is indeed still here, but is relegated to a mere dweller rather than a frequent participant.  Or that he's merely voting on the Pro Football Pick'em group rather than doing anything over here.  No clue.

But, everybody else at least has similar names over there as they do over here minus Bolt, so what do I know?

So, provided that either my pick tomorrow night wins, or me and buck end up picking the same team, I may very well end up taking the lead this week.  Also, according to the Pro Football Pick'em group, it's still very much possible we end up in a 4-way tie scenario (provided of course that buck and I both get our picks right, and Kamp and bolt get their picks wrong).  But, it appears that our website selections will remain secret until just five minutes before the game.

You know, considering just how many times the Panthers continue to pull out upset over upset, especially on the road, I wouldn't be surprised if the Panthers pull away with a win on Thursday Night football.  Then again, it IS Thursday Night football; funny things tend to happen on those days.

By the way, is it me, or are the Giants, Browns, and 49ers so heavily allergic to the very idea of winning that they actively refuse to win games at all?  At least the 49ers and Giants are doing their best and will undoubtedly come away with a win eventually (with the 49ers, I suspect either against a division rival or the Bears; with the Giants, presumably against the 49ers).  But what about the Browns?  They were matched up against presumed bottom feeders, and yet they continue to lose even to these abysmal football teams.  If I have to guess, maybe a win against the Chargers like with last year; maybe a win against a Steelers squad who may or may not be playing for anything as far as playoff rankings are concerned (that, and the Steelers lose to presumably bad football teams);

Also, I'm predicting Eli Manning and Big Ben to retire following this season--especially the latter.  I'm also am going to predict that this may actually be Tom Brady's final season in the NFL--yes, he's playing well, but it won't last for very long.  Either way, the end is coming fast for all three of these QB's.  As well as Carson Palmer.  And maybe Drew Brees.

1 hour ago, Mike Gordan said:

You know, considering just how many times the Panthers continue to pull out upset over upset, especially on the road, I wouldn't be surprised if the Panthers pull away with a win on Thursday Night football.  Then again, it IS Thursday Night football; funny things tend to happen on those days.

By the way, is it me, or are the Giants, Browns, and 49ers so heavily allergic to the very idea of winning that they actively refuse to win games at all?  At least the 49ers and Giants are doing their best and will undoubtedly come away with a win eventually (with the 49ers, I suspect either against a division rival or the Bears; with the Giants, presumably against the 49ers).  But what about the Browns?  They were matched up against presumed bottom feeders, and yet they continue to lose even to these abysmal football teams.  If I have to guess, maybe a win against the Chargers like with last year; maybe a win against a Steelers squad who may or may not be playing for anything as far as playoff rankings are concerned (that, and the Steelers lose to presumably bad football teams);

Also, I'm predicting Eli Manning and Big Ben to retire following this season--especially the latter.  I'm also am going to predict that this may actually be Tom Brady's final season in the NFL--yes, he's playing well, but it won't last for very long.  Either way, the end is coming fast for all three of these QB's.  As well as Carson Palmer.  And maybe Drew Brees.

I don't/didn't buy into that "0-16 Jets" hype.  The good thing is, neither do/did the Jets (dude).

Teams have Pride / Resilience (/ Start HOGAN, from the start of the season - or at least by Wk5, if 0-4 - over Kizer);  or they try to.

At least the Giants, Browns, and 49ers all show more moxie than Roethlisberger, at this point.  (Dude seems like he wants to quit football, and it's not even mid-season!)

Then again, everybody CAN - in theory - turn it around.  We'll see ...

Edited by Bolt

So buck and I decided to both pick the Vikings.  Yeah, I figured the deciding factor would be whether or not Trubisky would be able to handle the Vikings defense.  The fact that we don't really know that much about him as an NFL QB was also a deciding factor in our decision.  Meanwhile, Bolt and Krampa both picked Chicago.  So if the Vikings win, it will be a four-way tie for the week.  Though buck and I would be tied overall for the year so far.

^ But that's in yahoo-Group-play,

and gojiphen's not party to that.

He is a party to WEEK 5 Winning

Quick-Recap o' WEEK 5

1. @gojiphen malor  10-4

2. @kamphuna8 / @buck / @Mike Gordan / Bolt  7-7

77 games have been played, so far...  Overall leadership skeels:  44-33 buck / Mike;  & 42-35 Bodom

Edited by Bolt

On 10/8/2017 at 3:21 PM, Bodom said:

Figuring out that I am Grogan's Hidden Stats is much easier than picking these games.

Watching the gerbil race around the terrarium is more entertaining than just setting him on the wheel.

Edited by Bolt