Sign in to follow this  
vikingmoe02

Draft Review (Picks #1-14)

I’m gonna run through this by draft order. I’ll give a breakdown, a draft grade, and then a contender rating (new this year)! Contender rating will reflect what I think the team and owner’s chances are to make the playoffs and potentially go all the way. Rating will be on a 1-10 scale with “1” meaning no chance/basement-dweller and “10” probable HSTL champ. Here goes picks 1-14!

1. PHX (JPBowler)

It’s hard to screw up the first pick, but you did. Bo over QB Eagles? Maybe if you have elite running skills and pair him with at least a decent OL, but you didn’t (DET). Aikman to Fernandez and Martin isn’t going to scare anybody away from focusing on Bo. BTW, the overdrafting of Troy F’ing Aikman must stop!! Aikman in the 3rd round?! W…T…F! I’m sorry, but I don’t get the defense either. Drones for DBs (KC), more drones at LB (DAL), and one of the worst DLs (RAMS) that was paired with the worst kicker in the game. Ouch. The first overall pick needs to do much, much better than this.

Draft Grade: F

Contender Rating: 1

2. PIT (Flash)

I think it’s great that a nice guy like Flash gets QB Eagles to fall in his proverbial lap with the 2nd pick. Super sweet. Then adding Emmitt and Flipper – wow, what an offense! Philly OL isn’t ideal, but Eagles is used to that. Obviously, the tradeoff here is the defense. Below average drones for DBs (GB) with only marginal players like Harvey at LB and a couple useable DL from the Saints will make stops hard to come by. Flash will have to rely on unstoppable offense and clock management to pull out the wins, but I like his chances.

Draft Grade: B+

Contender Rating: 6

3. IND (QBLions)

The Giants LBs are simply tantalizing. It would be difficult for me to resist as well, but you better be able to do some serious LB work. The low INT of the DEN secondary may become a problem. Adding Jerry Ball makes this a high HP front 7 that should disrupt below average O-Lines. Majik and Marcus Allen should be a plus offense, especially behind a good BUF OL. I would have liked a little bit faster target to stretch the field for Majik scrambles, but Carrier is still a decent JJ target with Majik’s slower PS. Overall a solid draft on both sides that will rely on elite LB play to succeed.

Draft Grade: B

Contender Rating: 4

4. SD (Gamehigh)

Super cooling with AC and Cool Joe! That was the same combination on a certain HSTL championship team **cough, cough**. Probably could have went more defense instead of one of the other CC targets for Joe, but Bentley and Brooks are nice to have. The defense is all on the MIN LBs that provides Millard for run stopping and Merriweather for pass coverage. Really just drones for DBs (NO), so stops may be tough. I would expect high scoring games, and the first to get a stop wins.

Contender Rating: 5.5

5. TB (Ol’ Dirty Tecmo)

How did Diaz get the 5th pick? And how in the hell did the CHI DBs fall to him? Good gracious. Then he somehow adds Offerdahl and that defense is not only complete, it’s scary. The offense must not be as good right? Um, no. It’s amazeballs. Landing Okoye at the end of the 2nd round was sweet. The Nightmare gets to run behind the really good Saints OL (KR bonus) plus Holman and Hall, because Diaz loves his tight ends (both literally and figuratively). The Raiders’ BU’s give him two WRs with speed to burn with really the only limitation being the QB position. Diaz can still play conditions with Rypien and Beuerlein and make it work. This is easily the best team in this rom.

Draft Grade: A+

Contender Rating: 9.5

6. DET (CasualT)

Another nice offense here. QB Bills throwing to CC targets Jeffries and Dick-Dick2 is great, but people will also have to contend with a 56ms RB as well (Bailey). All this behind the stout CHI OL (50ms KR bonus), so really no weaknesses on offense here. I hope you can play defense with a DL, because Jacob Green is almost all you got back there. Odomes from the BUF secondary is certainly controllable as a DB, which will help, but his INT is low (just like his fellow Bills teammates). Like other offense heavy teams, whoever gets that first stop will really grab control of the game.

Contender Rating: 4.5

7. GIA (Drake)

Mmmmm, the PIT DBs…tasty. Mike Johnson and the SF DL provide a heck of a lot of HP up front too. Very nice! Rod and his super drone friends should be able to do some work in this defense. The offense is interesting. Landing James Brooks was huge, and I like that speed paired with Drake’s sweet running moves. Love the speed with Willie Gault, too, and then BJ to zip it to him. Trudeau is the back up, so conditions could play a huge key at the QB position. Obviously, limiting mistakes with BJ will play a huge part in this team’s success, but the defense should at least keep them in games.

Contender Rating: 6

8. SEA (Barletti)

Dave Krieg comes home to Seattle, and he talks Jerry Rice into coming with him! We’ve seen Rice-Krieg before, and it’s been very successful (and annoying). I think taking Rice here was too early, but if he's your guy, he's your guy. Adding Walker at RB should provide a little balance when not doing the back-n-B thing. Proehl also adds another nice CC target as well as spacing with his low MS. The GB OL isn’t ideal, but it should hold long enough for you to run back 15 yards and press B. The defense is pretty bare, so Eric Allen will have to be a one man show to hold offenses in check. With no LB to use, stopping the run may prove challenging.

Contender Rating: 4.5

9. PHI (Bo)

Bo gets Barry! Awesome. He wisely puts him behind the Rams OL, so that’s good. Even Art Monk should help out with the running game with his 38hp and avoiding popcorns from beefy DBs. I would expect a lot of people to be picking run, though, because the passing game is a bit punchless. Monk and Hassan Jones catching passes from Wild Jay could spell disaster in obvious passing situations. The defense is solid at all levels with Agnew, Childress, and Easy Mac. I would expect a fair amount of “grind ‘em out” wins for this club.

Draft Grade: B-

10. DEN (Jebigred)

Haddix and the solid TB drones plus the PIT LBs…well alrighty then! Now that’s some defense. The LBs may have been a bit of a luxury since you’ll be using Haddix almost all the time. You could have gotten a solo run stopper for LB4 later and been just fine. So the offense suffers a little there with no speed for Elway to throw to. Adding Wilhelm was smart to play conditions and situations (late half/game JJ attempts) with Elway. Ottis running behind the Cincy OL should provide some balance and hopefully keep people off picking pass vs Elway. So it’s a cautious, grinding plus offense with a great defense. That’s complimentary football fellas, but will it be enough to get Jeb over the playoff hump?

Contender Rating: 6.5

11. ATL (Prime)

The SF DBs make sense and provides versatility having both Lott and Waymer. After that, not much makes sense to me. The name Ken O’Brien generates polarizing opinions, but taking him in the 2nd round before Krieg and Majik? If you really wanted the passing speed, you could have gotten Elway in the 4th round instead. Then there’s the homer pick of Mike Rozier in the 3rd when much better 50ms RBs were available (see Byner, Craig, & G. Anderson). Landing the Mark’s brothers at WR was some decent value, but it came at the expense of being stuck with the TB O-Line. Ouch! This team could have been much better. The defense should be able to get some stops, but this offense could be painful to watch in some matchups.

Draft Grade: D

12. WASH (Cubsfan)

Warren Moon at pick 12? Yes please! I love the additions of the Muffin Man (Baker) and Mark Jackson for targets. Throw in 44ms Blair Thomas and a couple 38ms RBs for conditions, and you have just enough balance. However, Moon will have to beat teams primarily picking pass. The defense is pretty solid with the speedy Raider secondary and Tim Harris for run stopping. I wouldn’t expect a lot on INTs, though, so play calling will be key.

Contender Rating: 6.5

13. CIN (Arncoem)

Dick-Dick and the HOU DBs at pick 13 is just sweet. All you had to do then is add a LB later for run stopping (Francis) and your defense is set. Then you shift your focus to offense and land Meggett, who should perform well with your elite tapping and running skills. Gary Clark is a nice get, but Rathman was a bit of a luxury. The solid RAI OL should provide plenty of protection plus a nice KR. You’ll be playing conditions with two 44pc QBs (Timm Rosenbach and Marc Wilson), but both have less than optimal PS so be careful. Overall a very well-constructed team here, but in a very tough division IMO.

Draft Grade: A-

Contender Rating: 7

14. CLE (TecmoBo)

Bernie comes home to Cleveland at tremendous value at pick 14! Reed, Toon, and Byars make perfect targets for this high flying offense. Dalton Hilliard provides a nice balanced threat behind the great SD OL. It’s beautiful…at least on that side of the ball. Actually, getting the Jets LBs is a bit of a saving grace here, because the Indy DBs are just awful and not useable. Byrd can stop the run and Clifton will have to help patrol the secondary with his 50int. TecmoBo is certainly talented enough to pull this off even in this loaded division, but the offense will be fun to watch regardless.

Contender Rating: 7.5

Second half of the draft to come soon!

Love,

VikingMoe

Absolutely brilliant!!! I miss you even more now. Thanks for the little nuggets like "The Marks Brothers" and the "both literally and figuratively" tight end remark landed beautifully. But most importantly, very thoughtful analysis from an outside looking in forever member of HSTL. Seriously, thanks. That was awesome. Can't wait for the "contender" portion of the review.

(Oh, and btw, I landed 5th bc Reg drafted a team even he couldn't win with, I played 12 games in 5 days and ended the season I think 5-11, going 4-8 myself.)

=)