Portland, OR - 01/27/18 - J.J.'s Birden

DT.

On 1/6/2018 at 10:54 AM, ~Tailback King~ said:

What's the by~in for this Tourney..............it better not be more than $20.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I just paid $9,000 dollars for a new roof!!!  I'm kinda TAPPT this month.

It's probably gonna be $25.... Start saving now....

Sounds like Operation TBK to Madison is gonna be a uphill battle

The KNOCKOUT element of Portland Tecmo will be played exclusively on Everdrive and feature a special rom I have made. The rom features a famous team from each of the 28 TSB franchises that captured the imagination of NFL fans and kicked butt. Some of the teams are more dominant than others. At the beginning of the competition we will be drafting up the teams with the rookies getting first dibs through to previous champions such as MYSELF getting the final choices. I will be telling the story of each team on this rom in this forum with a breakdown of their strengths and weakness little by little as we get closer to Jan 27. Once the rom is complete, ill also make available for anyone to download and look at themselves.

The WINNER of the KNOCKOUT tourney will get their own sick trophy and decent $$$ prize, so you are going to want to study up! Keep it locked here for the info!

Okay so I thought I would introduce the 28 teams in a fun way. I'm going to count them down by my own assessment of where they should be selected, with #1 being the biggest juggernaut of the group. To balance with my own rankings, which are largely based on a vibe, I am also providing some empirical analysis from @bruddog which will be represented by the Bruddog Ultimate Rating Page or BURP number. Lets get into the first couple, chosen due to their potentially unique weapons at QB.

tebow-knee-11.thumb.jpg.00b42ee8cfcb42cfbc16d5c7dc10f0c5.jpg

2011 Denver Broncos

For: The devout.

Not For: The practical.

Power Rank: 28

BURP: 27

In the waning days of a lost 2010 campaign, Denver gave the reigns to rookie QB and college football GOAT Tim Tebow. He sparked the team and led them to a respectable finish. In 2011, new head coach John Fox looked to veteran Kyle Orton to lead the Broncs. After a 1-4 start and overwhelming outcry from the fans, Fox was forced to scrap the gameplan and let Jesus take the wheel with Tebow. The Broncos then miraculously went on a 7-1 run with several famous close shave victories, often with clutch kicks by Matt Prater. They dropped their last 3 but still somehow got into the playoffs at 8-8. Given no chance hosting the venerable Steelers in the first round, Tim Tebow had one last surprise, serving up a strike to Demaryius Thomas, who took the first play of OT 80 yards for the win.

The following week they were dismantled by the Brady and the Patriots. In the off-season, Peyton Manning chose to sign with Denver and Tebow was dealt to the Jets. He never got another chance to lead a team and finishes his career record at 8-6. Not saying he was good, but maybe throwing is only part of what makes a good QB.

Scouting Report

Meet the only QB in the history of Tecmo who might just bowl over some schmo. What else? Well, Willis McGahee is a strong RB. The targets are a little thin with future stud WRs Demaryius Thomas in his injury-delayed rookie season and Eric Decker in his 1st season as a starter. The defense is led by two legendary DBs- Brian Dawkins in his final season and Champ Bailey in the 3rd to last season of his long incredible career. Elvis Dumervil was at the height of his terror-inducing pass rushing in 2011. Von Miller was just a rookie, but still got 11.5 sacks. If you are an old school Denver fan who enjoyed wreaking havoc with Simon Fletcher at the LB4 spot, Miller should do the trick for ya. A couple noticeably poor players pepper what, in the end, is an average overall defense.

This team is not so bad that they could not pull off a win, but if you are picking them you are taking a leap of faith.

vick.thumb.jpg.1ec8a126c4d75005e17521bc49720732.jpg

2004 Atlanta Falcons

For: Fans of QB Eagles

Not For: Fans of QB pockets

Power Rank: 27

BURP: 28

This is perhaps the most memorable Madden team of all-time. QB Eagles had set the stage for cheap video game yardage accumulation, but after he went down with multiple injuries, robbing him of his ridiculous running ability, there were not too many dynamic speedster signal-callers throughout the 90s. Michael Vick was not only capable of getting some nice chunks of yards in the open field, he was one of the fastest players in the whole league. Oh yeah, and he had a rocket launcher for an arm. After missing most of 2003 to injury, 2004 is the year it came together for Vick and the Falcons as they went 11-5 then smashed the St. Louis Rams in the playoffs, before losing in the Conference Championship. Vick ended up breaking Cunningham's QB rushing record, finishing with 902 yards on the ground. With Warrick Dunn and TJ Duckett also in the mix, Atlanta led the NFL in rushing.

Scouting Report

The defense is just not that good.Keith Brooking and Patrick Kerney are strong players. Rookie DeAngelo Hall saves the secondary from being a complete mess, but manning bottom corners is tough in TSB. Someone could absolutely bring some ruckus with this team with RBs Warrick Dunn and TJ Duckett giving the offense some balance. Aside from TE Alge Crumpler, the receiving core sucks. Brian Finneran, whose 99 jump rating made him an unstoppable glitch bitch on Madden is joined by every other player in the game with that ability here. He does, however, get a solid for a WR 25 hitting power to reflect his largeness. That's somethin.

You can probably create enough headaches with Vick to move the chains on offense, but you better have a gameplan with this D if you want to roll with the Dirty Birds.

Keep it locked here to learn about the other 26 squads!

Edited by DT.

neil_lomax_1984_10_21.thumb.jpg.d49a74f0c1112d9681d610783f0e7384.jpg

1983 St. Louis Cardinals

For: Tru Portlanders

Nor For: Serious Contenders

Power Rank: 26

BURP:  12

This squad was chosen in case anyone wanted to roll with Lake Oswego High and Portland State legend Neil Lomax. Big Neil led plenty of nice offenses for the Cards throughout the 80s. '83 was Lomax' 3rd year. Roy Green was a force at WR. Otis (O.J.) Anderson and Stump Mitchell provided a dynamic ground attack and the defense was QB hungry, leading the league with 59 sacks. Despite finishing the season strong with wins over the Giants, Raiders, and Eagles, St. Louis would finish 8-7-1 and a half game out of a playoff berth. Five years later they were in the desert. 

Scouting Report

These team was basically selected as a kind of a fun also-ran, but are perhaps a little tougher then their 8-7-1 record and the forgettable nature of the St. Louis Cardinals would indicate. It should be mentioned that they had two juggernauts in their division, the Redskins and Cowboys, who served the Cards up 4 losses right there. Bruddog's metric, which weighs heavily toward each team's top QB, RB, and WR loves the Cards and its easy to see why. The secondary is a weak sauce overall, but Lionel Washington, who notched 8 Ints that season, is quality and there are a handful of dynamic players in the front seven. Al "Bubba" Baker, the leader of the D, is a forgotten star of his era and a sad shell of his former self by the time he wrapped up his career with the Browns humpy defense in time for the orginal TSB.

Perhaps I am having trouble getting around the stigma of this franchise, but I can't imagine they are really in the tier of these other loaded teams.

chad-ochocinco-bengals.thumb.jpg.4d32bc5789558e76b744f0f093a7f7af.jpg

2005 Cincinnati Bengals

For: End Zone Celebrators

Not For: Dynamic Defenders

Power Rank: 25

BURP: 18

After a rookie season begun as Tacoma native Jon Kitna's backup, Carson Palmer took the reigns completely in 2005, his 3rd season, and the Bengals offense took off. Rudi Johnson was a force running the ball and T.J. Houschmanzode (Championship) provided steady production, but at the center of it all was Chad Johnson who notched 1,432 yards receiving with 9 memorable excursions to paydirt. Hopes were high as the Who Dey boys hosted Pittsburgh at Paul Brown Stadium in the first Bengals playoff game since 1988, but dreams fell to dust when Kimo Von Oelhoffen went low on Carson Palmer and ripped his knee to shreds. Sadly, the Carson Palmer era in Cincinnati would never reach higher heights and the dirty dirty Steelers would go on to claim another Superbowl.

Scouting Report

This offense could certainly hum with important players in the right spots. This is why the BURP likes the Who Deys so much. Deltha O"Neal had a big year at CB. Tory James was solid at the other spot. The only issue here is just a lack of depth. Aside from Chad, Rudi, and T.J., there is not much in Palmer's arsenal. Defensively, its just pretty weak overall. It should be mentioned that the OL is excellent and Shayne Graham was a money kicker.

This Bengals team was perhaps chosen to reflect this franchise's position in the historical hierarchy. They were not designed to be picked, but if you went with CHAD and friends, it might not be a total disaster.

Keep it locked here for more rankings and breakdowns!

Neal Lomax played for my college team and allmamauder..........the P.S.U. Vikings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I think I'll go with PHX........uh.......I mean........St. Louis.  I'll run on fools all-day with O.J.!!!!!!!!  BTW, Andersons' stats should be just as good, if not better than the Giants version of him.......or I seriously question the games' street credd!!!!!

1 hour ago, ~Tailback King~ said:

Neal Lomax played for my college team and allmamauder..........the P.S.U. Vikings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I think I'll go with PHX........uh.......I mean........St. Louis.  I'll run on fools all-day with O.J.!!!!!!!!  BTW, Andersons' stats should be just as good, if not better than the Giants version of him.......or I seriously question the games' street credd!!!!!

It's like he's in good.

23 minutes ago, ~Tailback King~ said:

@DT.............There better be a RAMS or COLTS Dickerson team on there or I'm gonna have a sit-down strike in the middle of the bar and refuse to move or play until THERE IS ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fucking hilarious. I told the other guys that TBK was gonna be pissed if Mr. ED didn't make the rom and sorry to say he didn't BUT, as @kamphuna8 will attest, O.J. Anderson is a fucking problem and you'll see there are plenty of NICE tailbacks on the way... 

ronde.thumb.jpg.b152d5ba61fc7bd493f08c931e904630.jpg

2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers

For: Those who like to have a stud at each level on the defense

Not For: Those who rely on big plays on offense

Power Rank: 24

BURP: 24

After a core unit of defenders carried various mediocre offenses to a string of playoff appearances, but no Superbowls, Tampa Bay dumped Tony Dungy and went the unconventional route of TRADING for a new head coach, getting John Gruden from Oakland. As fate would have it, the Bucs would meet the Raiders in the Superbowl, for whom one of their OL would straight up disappear, and Gruden and the Bucs seemed to know exactly what the Raiders were doing the whole game. It was as if Gruden was playing Tecmo and kept picking Oakland's play. A fortuitous development in the end, but as Gruden has stated, the keys to the success of the season was a renewed focus from Derrick Brooks, whose career season is reflected here with a 50 INT rating and conservative play calling that mitigated the affects of a limited offense.

Scouting Report

Ronde Barber, Derrick Brooks, Jon Lynch, Simeon Rice. There are lots of good options for selections on defense. Their supporting cast is quality too. The offense is among the worst of the ROM, but aside from the OL maybe, none of it is particularly bad. Keenan McCardell and Keyshawn Johnson should provide the occasional big grab for you. Hopefully its enough while the defense shuts down the other team's offense.

If you are particularly savage playing with the RILB, you'll love Derrick Brooks. Otherwise, there are probably better options out there.

lombardskin.thumb.jpg.182462066cb76cd23b3028e0c4750b6b.jpg

1969 Washington Redskins

For: Those looking for a defensive solution to the run 3 sweep right

Not For: Those who cherish the kicking game

Power Rank: 23

BURP: 15

This is a perhaps somewhat random seeming 7-5-2 playoff-missing Washington football team. They were chosen due to the high propensity of forgotten legends on the roster and because this season was a fun one for putting the franchise back on the map after years of mediocrity. The main driver of the resurgence was none other than Vince Lombardi, who energized the city and brought his legendary focus to the team. Season one's Lombardi Skins were a little rough around the edges, but undoubtedly on the path to success. Sadly, one season was all Lombardi would get in Washington, as cancer took him before the 1970 season. They didn't win it all or even make the playoffs, but the turnaround they showed was a fitting sendoff to the greatest football coach of all time.

Scouting Report

Lot's of good players in the mix here. It starts with Sonny Jurgensen, one of the more talented gunslingers the NFL has ever seen. His weapons include rookie RB Larry Brown, aging star WR Charley Taylor, and sure-handed TE Jerry Smith. On defense, Washington is led by mighty mite Pat Fischer, who when he retired would hold the record for most games played at CB, a record that he would hold until another Washington great, Darrell Green, would seize it. Chris Hanburger is a roughneck LB who brings some pass coverage to the table. Mike Bass, Brig Owens, and Sam Huff help round out a solid unit. Best not even look at the special teams.

Washington looks quite good at first glance perhaps, but if you dig deep, you'll notice some deficiencies that could be problematic when trying to match up with these other great squads. I wouldn't go with the Redskins unless feeling particularly inspired by the bellowing words of Vince Lombardi.

More to come!

brees.thumb.jpg.778610374da55d81582f44e00ecb8afc.jpg

2011 New Orleans Saints

For: Offensive Gurus

Not For: Desperate Defenders

Power Rank: 22

BURP: 25

After taking the Superbowl in '09 and getting shockingly ousted from the playoffs in round 1 in '10 (BEASTQUAKE ALERT), Sean Payton and the boys went back to work and put together the most ruthless offense of all-time. They completely ignored the defense, but offensively, they re-wrote the record book. Some of the more fun records they took include Drew Brees for most passing yards in a season, Darren Sproles for most all-purpose yards, and team records for most yards and also pts scored in one game- 62 vs the Colts. Despite the shaky defense, which in fairness could have had trouble catching its breath during quick Saints TD drives, the 13-3 Saints appeared ready to make another Superbowl run. The season would end however, with late heroics from Alex Smith and the Niners in Candlestick, which was the last time a team won a playoff game with a TD in the final minute until... last week in Minnesota.

Scouting Report

Brees has big studs Jimmy Graham and Marques Colston to hoist the rock to, as well as a bunch of other decent guys who you would be well served to sub in and out based on matchup and condition. Getting the nod at RB is Darren Sproles, who had a stupid 6.9 yards per carry that season, but Mark Ingram and Pierre Thomas should be looked at as well. The offensive line is beastly. On D, there is no sugar-coating it. They suck. Guys like Malcolm Jenkins and Cameron Jordan are known assets in today's NFL, but there were but just rookies in 2011. 

If you want to pull off a W with these guys in this tournament, you're gonna have to get lucky on defense, and execute like a mofo on offense.

billsD.thumb.jpg.486ca5877cf02ae453b0211d4d68a4ab.jpg

1965 Buffalo Bills

For: Playing in the dirt

Not For: Glamour Boys

Power Rank: 21

BURP: 22

Trotting out any of the "Four Falls of Buffalo" teams would have been an OK way to represent the Bills, but those teams are all just remixes of the one on the game. This team did something those guys were unable to do- win a Championship. Sure it was just the AFL, but by '65 it was a very solid league and they took on and defeated all comers. They did not do it with a fancy offense. In fact, injuries to multiple WRs severely limited this squad's ability to light up the scoreboard. They did it with a defense loaded with stars. In the title game, played at the old Buffalo rockpile, they delivered their masterpiece, blanking the high flying San Diego Chargers 23-0. This victory sustained Buffalo's Championship thirst for quite some time, but 52 years later, there are some very dry throats in Western NY.

Scouting Report

Offensively, there is some OK depth to give either Jack Kemp or Daryle Lamonica a chance to move the chains. On defense, every guy you click on is a strong player. The leaders are top CB Butch Byrd and RILB Mike Stratton. Watch out for x-factor Ron "The Dancing Bear" McDole who brings some pass defense ability to the DE position. Long time ESPN personality Paul MacGuire was a rotation LB for this team while also supplying solid punting.

This is one of the best if not the best defenses on the rom, but I think most will take a look at their lack of sex appeal on offense and pass up the chance to roll with this legendary squad.

8 down! 20 to go!

Edited by DT.

CHIEFS_RAIDERS__bigcolo_t640.thumb.jpg.d191022fc2c7930818ada3876077dd20.jpg

2003 Kansas City Chiefs

For: Yardage Grinders

Not For: Yardage Stoppers

Power Rank: 20

BURP: 25

Dick Vermeil had his attack going in his 3rd year in charge with the Chiefs. He had Priest Holmes running behind a road-grading OL, Tony Gonzalez at TE, and Tony Richardson at FB. The Priest had 320 carries for 1,420 yds and 27 TDs rushing. Yeah. He also added 74 receptions. All of those touches and the whole season he had 1 fumble. Say hello to a 94 ball control rating. In the end it was another fantastic regular season in KC that ended with another tough playoff loss at home, 38-31 to the Colts. Oof.

Scouting Report

You can probably pound most opponents away just running the rock, but if they start to key in on that, Trent Green should be able to get some looks to Tony G or the adequate duo of Johnnie Morton and Eddie Kennison at WR. Dante Hall is a fun x-factor on the bench, who in 2003 was mid-way through a stretch as one of the most dominant return men in league history. Defensively, you'll find a bunch of useful players, but perhaps not the one great player you would hope for.

This team is good enough to contend, but the passing game is not as scary as some of the other offensive oriented squads on the ROM.

adamv.thumb.jpg.574cff103466602078c6d18cf1bb13d1.jpg

2001 New England Patriots

For: Fans of The GOAT QB or the GOAT Coug QB

Not For: People who are sick of this shit

Power Rank: 19

BURP: 19

It might be tough to remember today, but once upon a time, the Patriots were a plucky underdog magically flying to the promised land led by some guy at QB. We know now that 2001's run was anything but a fluke and that Tom Brady is really good at football, but this was back when even Boston as a whole was sort of a charming underdog type place. SIMPLER TIMES. As was the case for quite some time, Brady did not have amazing targets and this defense was more just solid then any type of beast. It's difficult to recall with what we now know, how incredible the decision to roll with Brady was at the time. Drew Bledsoe was a very very good QB and Belichick just left his ass on the bench for some kid.

Scouting report

The most appealing thing about this squad is having not one but two really good QBs. This is potentially key in Tecmo. I don't really know because its not something any of the original TSB teams have. The arsenal is led by Troy Brown, who had a huge season, Antowain Smith, who was steady toting the rock, ... David Patten... Kevin Faulk is OK... thats about it. The defense is not overwhelming but you got Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy, and four pretty good LBs. Please note that Richard Seymour was just a rook and Willie McGinest was battling injuries that year. Subsequent versions of those guys would get better stats. Adam Vinatieri, whose heroics during the playoffs and dominance that followed established him as one of the best kickers ever, actually had a kind of mediocre season. This team is just alright at everything.

If you have Belichick-level patience and strategery, you can probably win games with this team, but I might advice going with someone with some more dominant element to utilize.

Edited by DT.

steelers.thumb.jpg.7a60d5bc0c236d194d74145b4f3f8923.jpg

2005 Pittsburgh Steelers

For: Trolls

Not For: 12s

Power Rank: 18

BURP: 20

Some refs decided this team should have the Lombardi trophy.

Scouting Report

If you want to learn about these fucks, go ahead yourself.

I thought someone might enjoy being a dick and taking this team. Feel free to be that guy if you so desire. They ain't terrible.

Chuck_Bednarik_Dies_Eagles_Legend_Pictures_Video.thumb.jpg.d7bb4a2f930c93d5a09962f95c603636.jpg

1960 Philadelphia Eagles

For: Those who like to Fly

Not For: Those who prefer the ground

Power Rank: 17

BURP: 10

Why are Eagles fans so fired up? Well, people from Philly are tribal sociopaths, but... they are also starved for a title. 1960 was a long time ago. It was so long ago they still had a 60 minute two-way player- Chuck Bednarik (pictured above, one of the greats) aka Concrete Charlie, who played center and linebacker. He was the last of his kind and retired following this season. Also retiring after that year was fellow HOFer, QB Norm Van Brocklin who had a fun season flying the ball around while also supplying strong punting. They would edge the Packers 17-13 in the NFL Championship, the only L Lombardi's Packers would suffer in six title bouts.

Scouting Report

Norm Van Brocklin (or incredible backup Sonny Jurgensen if you prefer) has some super targets at wideout with Pete Retzlaff and Tommy McDonald. TE Bobby Walston is good too (but a shitty kicker) At RB, you have decisions to make. Your gonna want to mix and match these average Joes. #4 back Timmy Brown was buried on this team's bench, but would go on to terrorize the league. Defensively, they are led by RILB Maxie Baughan and ball-hawking LS Don Burroughs with plenty other impact players in the mix.

This team is a beast, but they have some glaring weaknesses. That puts them in last place of what I would say from here on out are the teams that should be selected.

Edited by DT.

bears.thumb.jpg.2d1496b5f425234e67c03a72e798aa98.jpg

1965 Chicago Bears

For: Monsters

Not For: The Meek

Power Rank: 16

BURP: 16

The Bears came on strong in '65 powered by two rookies that would become among the most iconic in the sport's history. Gale Sayers aka the Kansas Comet was a revelation, scoring 20 TDs. including 6 in one game, tying an NFL record. Fun fact: He had 31.4 yards per kick return that season. What a force. Arriving with less fanfare, but reaching greater heights, was Dick Butkus, who went on to be the best linebacker ever and despite playing just 9 seasons, causing more carnage

than any man who has ever graced a football field. The Bears could not catch the mighty Pack that year, but it was the closest they would ever come in the Sayers-Butkus era. George Halas would retire two seasons later as the coach with the most wins in NFL history by miles.

Scouting Report

Despite his weak ball control, you are gonna want to feed Sayers and his 69 MS over and over again. If you want to keep the defense guessing with the pass, Randy Bukich has some soild targets including the legendary DITKA at TE. Overall, the Bears offense is stocked with nice depth. Defensively, they are led by the God of War known in this world as Dick Butkus. Just about as fearsome in his day was DE Doug Atkins, who is in the twilight of his career here. Longtime Redskins DC Rich Petitbon leads a strong secondary.

This team is pretty stacked. They just have a couple issues that could leave them on the outside looking in the tournament- Average QB play and Ball Control.

Dick_Post.thumb.jpg.9610f6109881207f240f1b3af97b08b3.jpg

1968 San Diego Chargers

For: Bombers

Not For: Dink n Dunkers

Power Rank: 15

BURP: 13

Led by one of the true pioneers of the passing game, Sid Gillman, the Chargers really let it rip in 1968. Gary Garrison and Lance Alworth might be the fastest duo ever to line up opposite each other and QB John Hadl looked to go deep often. He finished the year with a very impressive 27 TDs and a very disastrous 32 INTs. TE Jacque McKinnon ate up defenses underneath and 5'9 Dickie Post is the feature back in a strong run attack. This team is just fun and pretty tough. Anytime you can get a guy named Dick Post on a rom, you gotta do it. I hope you really enjoy the opportunity to look at the football card there, because I really wish I hadn't done an image search for "Dick Post".

Scouting Report

Aside from the fear-inducing pass attack, the Chargers of '68 feature a good if not great defense. Speedy Duncan and Kenny Graham stand out from a quality secondary while Cle Elum, WA native Chuck Allen further boosts the pass defense with a 50 INT at the LILB spot.

If you're thinking "I can't hang with these dudes in a ball control game, I'm just gonna launch it", this could be your team, but they are adept enough to mold to any game plan. The only thing holding them from elite status is that their feast or famine nature.

Edited by DT.

campbellphillips.thumb.jpg.e6d7f29d445d86bf1c2aa37c7796d618.jpg

1979 Houston Oilers

For:  Old School Smashmouth

Not For: High Tech Bullshit

Power Rank: 14

BURP: 21

1979 was the height of the Luv Ya Blue hysteria in Houston. The Oilers had experienced mostly rough times in their existence, but coach Bum Phillips brought a new attitude and personality to the team. In 1978 they drafted RB Earl Campbell of Texas and he won ROY and MVP as the Oilers made it all the way to the AFC Championship. By '79 they were really rolling with Campbell leading the way. 1,697 yds on the ground. 19 touchdowns. They made it all the way to the AFC Championship again vs the Steelers again and gave them a tough test, with a crucial call on a Mike Renfro TD grab not going their way proving critical. Campbell doesn't get mentioned much when discussing the all-time backs due by comparison to the other greats, his short career, but he was as devastating a runner ever to do it.

Scouting Report

Earl Campbell has some redonkulous stats here... except for ball control. Dan Pastorini is OK and has a few guys to look for in the passing game. Campbell's supporting cast might not look like much at first glance, but its a nice mix of guys to work in and out of the lineup based on condition. Kicker Tony Fritsch had a money season and gets rewarded with a 69 rating. The defense has lots of nice pieces including veterans Elvin Bethea and Curley Culp on the DL. I like this team a lot because they have big time players in positions you typically want to select- Robert Brazile at ROLB and Mike Rienfeldt at RS.

This team may not have as much overall talent as others below them, but if you know how to utilize what they have, they could be very very tough to contend with.