Sign in to follow this  
OL' Dirty Tecmo

Easy and free steps to eliminating frame delay and lag spikes

HSTL stands for High Speed Tecmo League. Incepted around 2000 the main requirement was having High Speed Internet. This expectation for the best possible playing experience hasn't changed. Below are some proven (and free!) steps to help eliminate lag and offer our league a near console experience for its owners.

1. Test your internet connection regularly with http://www.speedtest.net/ - Use it regularly and also use different points around the country to see what your connection looks like when playing someone far away. This especially applies to those located on the coasts. 
  2. Move unused files on your hard drive, especially videos, to an external hard drive or cloud storage. It's 2017. There's free cloud storage everywhere. Google Drive, DropBox, Mega, etc. https://www.thebalance.com/free-cloud-storage-1356638
  3. Close useless programs while playing.  You aren't browsing explorer or watching youtube videos when playing Tecmo. Shut em down. Open up your task manager and sorty by memory. Those programs are hurting your Tecmo experience. So is Discord. Use P2P in-game (nestopia) chat instead. I've noticed some of the newer players struggle with this. 
  4. Go to Control Panel and uninstall useless programs and bloatware that came with your PC. 
  5. Defragment and also perform a "disk cleanup" on your hard drive. These are small steps but clearing out cache and unused temporary files just takes a few minutes. It's something I do once a month or so to help keep system sources available for what I love. Tecmo.
  6. Kick the family off streaming services. If your playing experience is still subpar this could be a big factor, and one of the most challenging to accomplish. Especially with difficulty in scheduling time with opponents. Don't forget about WiFi cameras like DropCam and even your Nest thermostat along with other goodies. If you have a bunch of this stuff going on it's time to upgrade your router. 
  7. Plug in your ethernet cable. If your playing on WiFi and experiencing lag make sure you and your opponent are hard-wired, it'll help. 
  8. Reboot PC and router.  Getting a fresh download of nestopia never hurt either. 
  9. Review more tips from Bruddog in the post below. I had an issue a few years back where no matter what I did I was getting lag spikes. Turns out it was my ISP at the corner of my street. With this program https://www.pingplotter.com/download I was able to prove to my ISP that it was them, and not me. Hit em with a classic "TOLD YA SO, BITCHES!!!".

I'm going to add to this based on other things I remember and posts below. It's just the beginning but I wanted to get something down while it's fresh on my mind. Thanks for committing to HSTL!!!

Edited by OL' Dirty Tecmo

Just a few additions:

1. Tecmo super bowl uses hardly any upload or download speed, so the most important value at speedtest.net  is the ping value. This is measured in mS. Each 16.6 mS is = to 1 frame of lag. The ping to your closest server should be under 40mS. If it's not try another local server to verify.  Check your ping to a server across the country. Ideally this should be under 100mS or 6 frames of lag. If not, it could be an intermediate router causing the problem. Check anther server to verify

2. If you are streaming the game on TWITCH, verify you are streaming at a rate that doesn't use all or nearly all of your upload speed or your effective ping time will be impacted and you will experience lag spikes.  

3. If you cann make sure Iphone's background app refresh is disabled or close out all I-phone apps. 

50 minutes ago, bruddog said:

Just a few additions:

1. Tecmo super bowl uses hardly any upload or download speed, so the most important value at speedtest.net  is the ping value. This is measured in mS. Each 16.6 mS is = to 1 frame of lag. The ping to your closest server should be under 40mS. If it's not try another local server to verify.  Check your ping to a server across the country. Ideally this should be under 100mS or 6 frames of lag. If not, it could be an intermediate router causing the problem. Check anther server to verify

2. If you are streaming the game on TWITCH, verify you are streaming at a rate that doesn't use all or nearly all of your upload speed or your effective ping time will be impacted and you will experience lag spikes.  

3. If you cann make sure Iphone's background app refresh is disabled or close out all I-phone apps. 

Bru, could you clarify for me how to check the Twitch stream rate? Is this a setting on Twitch or on OBS? Thanks. 

2 hours ago, rmm1976 said:

How about Nestopia settings-- any recommendation for Dead Zone or other settings?

Deadzone is just for your troller. Not that I'm aware of, just make sure you have FPS selected so you can view it in the bottom right hand corner of the window to keep an eye on your connection.