Sign in to follow this  
Bolt

WEEK 3 Predictions

Continuing - ALL - our Inaugural T-Borg Pick'em!!! ...

Ground rules:  GET YOUR PICKS IN BY GAME-TIME, FOLKS.

Thursday, 9/21 8:25pmE.T.

LARams @ San Francisco

--------------------------------------------

ALERT! ALERT!...Sunday EARLY-Morning game!!!  (Don't forget)

V            V            V

Sunday, 9/24 9:30amE.T.

Baltimore @ Jacksonville  (london, england)

1:00pmE.T.

Denver @ Buffalo

New Orleans @ Carolina

Pittsburgh @ Chicago

Atlanta @ Detroit

Cleveland @ Indianapolis

Tampa Bay @ Minnesota

Houston @ New England

Miami @ NYJets

NYGiants @ Philadelphia

4:05pmE.T.

Seattle @ Tennessee

4:25pmE.T.

Cincinnati @ Green Bay

Kansas City @ LAChargers

8:30pmE.T.

Oakland @ washington

Monday, 9/25 8:30pmE.T.

Dallas @ Arizona

Re-cap of WEEK 2 Borgger exploits:

http://tecmobowl.org/forums/topic/69783-week-2-predictions/?do=findComment&comment=484223

Edited by Bolt
Bolded Winners.

I'm gonna start with the first two games on the schedule, and then cover the easy picks:

LA Rams @ San Francisco 49ers:  Okay, so maybe I embarrassed myself a bit my all but guaranteeing a Rams victory last week.  But look on the bright side; the Rams at least played the Redskins tough for 4 quarters.  It was just pretty clear who the better team was at the end of it all.  The only hesitation I have now in picking the Rams over the 49ers is remembering the fact that the lowly 49ers--who rivaled the Browns for sheer ineptitude last season--not only swept the Rams a year prior, but utterly embarrassed them both times for their only wins of the season.  I suspect the 49ers will at some point in time pull away with a victory against the Rams at some point this season.  But for now, the team that clearly looks like they're playing better football is the Rams, and on a short week, I'm gonna go pick the Rams to beat the 49ers.  It helps too that they have a decent offensive line and a solid defense, so I doubt the 49ers will be playing the Rams as well as they did against the Seahawks.

Baltimore Ravens vs. Jacksonville Jaguars:  Early Sunday game due to it being played in London.  Hence, the Vs. instead of the @ (in spite the Jaguars being the designated home team like they always have been during their London games).  As such, it's a neutral site, and both teams are from the Eastern Time Zone as well, so they'll get as much jet lag as each other.  As such, it comes down to strictly who the better team is gonna be.  And honestly, even had the Jaguars showed up and upset the Titans, I'd still go with the Ravens to win this game.  A lot of bad has already begun to happen to the Ravens as far as injury is concerned--and it's likely to continue to play out as usual with the Ravens.  But I still think they're in a position where they can be considered a superior football club to said Jaguars.  I think the Jaguars will win more games than the usual average of 4 games per year.  But I ;like the Ravens to win this one.

Denver Broncos @ Buffalo Bills:  At least this game is being played earlier in the season, or else this might be a problematic matchup.  Be as it may, it's pretty clear that there's a wide margin between the Broncos and Bills in terms of overall talent.  Granted, defensively, the Bills can match up with the Broncos for a low-scoring slugfest (I remember 2014 where, even in defeat, they were successful in keeping Peyton Manning from completing a pass into the endzone--and then did the same thing in victory against Aaron Rodgers the very next week).  The Bills may be in hibernation this year, but mark my words they're gonna make opposing offenses pay this year.  But after that thorough thrashing to the Cowboys I witnessed last week, I have to pick my Broncos to win this week.  They're simply a much more complete football club by comparison.

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Chicago Bears:  Here's a funny bit of reality--the Steelers could actually lose to the Bears.  This is because the Steelers are quite notorious for playing down to their opponent's perceived talent level.  It's kind of shocking at just how much hubris there is in the Steelers' locker room (note how they utterly embarrassed the perceived talented Vikings squad the very next week after allowing the Browns to challenge them).  Plus, it's being played in Chicago.  I'll hold on to this pick for now because why the Steelers pick is pretty obvious on paper, one has to remember the recent history of the Steelers.  They are, after all, quite notorious for losing to bad football teams.  If I have to pick now, I'm gonna be a little ballsy and say the Bears win.  I'll probably end up changing my mind either way, but it'd be funny to see.

Houston Texans @ New England Patriots:  For now, the obvious pick is the Patriots.  At least until we see some noticeable decline in Tom Brady's throwing arm.  Or he gets hurt.  Either way, it's in Foxborough, and the Texans have quite a horrendous offensive line and an even worse Special Teams unit.

Miami Dolphins @ New York Jets:  The Jets are tanking; it's early in the season.  Overall, if the Dolphins happen to lose this game, it's gonna be because either their running back (not gonna bother trying to spell his name) gets hurt, or because Jay Cutler plays like crap.  The Dolphins are a safe pick.

Seattle Seahawks @ Tennessee Titans:  You know what?  I'm gonna pick the Titans to win this one.  That Seahawks offensive line is perhaps the absolute worst I've ever seen in the NFL.  I honestly have no idea how they could manage any more than 10 games--their best-case scenario is to depend on a perceived awful NFC West and a perceived awful AFC South and win out over there.  Because the Falcons could kick their ass; and so could some teams in the NFC East (I'm gonna guess Philadelphia and Washington--maybe the Giants if they can solve their offensive woes as well).  It gets even worse if the Rams also happen to be legit, and the Cardinals have also been known to play them tough as well, especially in Seattle.  And if the 49ers can get dangerously close to pulling away with a massive road upset with Brian Hoyer at QB, there's no telling how well this Seahawks squad can possibly hold up.  As such, the Titans appear to match up much better, can dominate time of possession thanks to RB DeMarco Murray, and Marcus Mariota is becoming an increasingly improved QB since his rookie year.  I like the Titans to win in a statement game.

Cincinnati Bengals @ Green Bay Packers:  Marvin Lewis' time has finally come and gone.  And I fully expect a bounce-back from Aaron Rodgers to win big against the worst scoring offense in the league.  Sure, the Packers' problems are only going to escalate, and similar to how the problems have finally come home to roost in Cincinnati, they are eventually going to hit the Packers hard and they will find themselves once again squarely at the NFL basement once again.  But for now, the safe pick is the Packers.

Kansas City Chiefs @ LA Chargers:  Let me guess--their kicker is gonna continue to miss clutch field goals, and his confidence is gonna be clearly shattered.  The Chargers are perhaps the most depressing organization in the league, especially when you consider the talent therein and all the wasted opportunities this team has had to try to make a serious push for Super Bowl contention.  The last time I thought of them as legit was back at the halfway point in 2014, where they looked like they possessed such killer instincts that they would steamroll their way at last to Super Bowl glory.  Alas, injuries continued to pile up, and they collapsed.  The organization hasn't been the same ever since.  And now the utter failure to win in clutch situations has come to infect their newest kicker as well.  Yeah, I'm gonna pick the Chiefs--I'll be rooting for the Chargers, but the Chiefs are very likely gonna win this one.

And, just for fun....

Cleveland Browns @ Indianapolis Colts:  ..........Fuck it!  I'm gonna just pick the Browns to win this one.  Both teams are utter shit this year, but look on the bright side; the Browns actually have a promising quarterback for a change!  And an offensive line!  And some semblance of a defense!  Now all they have to do is figure out how to win games!  And learn to love victory as well!  And then maybe...just maybe...provided their owner, Jimmy Haslam keeps his trigger finger in check and not fire everybody and blow the organization up for the umpteenth time, might actually escape the basement.  And who knows what else may be in store for them in the future?

20 hours ago, Bolt said:

LARams @ San Francisco

radical?

10 minutes ago, Mike Gordan said:

Houston Texans @ New England Patriots:  For now, the obvious pick is the Patriots.  At least until we see some noticeable decline in Tom Brady's throwing arm.  Or he gets hurt.  Either way, it's in Foxborough, and the Texans have quite a horrendous offensive line and an even worse Special Teams unit.

Or:  You're not Kansas City, Houston.  Just stay back and clean up after Harriette (or whatever that hurricane's called).

LARams @ San Francisco

Denver @ Buffalo

New Orleans @ Carolina

Pittsburgh @ Chicago

Atlanta @ Detroit

Cleveland @ Indianapolis

Tampa Bay @ Minnesota

Houston @ New England

Miami @ NYJets

NYGiants @ Philadelphia

Seattle @ Tennessee

Cincinnati @ Green Bay

Kansas City @ LAChargers

8:30pmE.T.

Oakland @ Washington

Monday, 9/25 8:30pmE.T.

Dallas @ Arizona

23 hours ago, Bolt said:

LARams @ San Francisco

RISK-boy, makes a risk-pick, and ...

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK !!!!!

(Just-learned of the result.)

I think I trusted too much in mediocre veteran Hoyer, over sophomore future-bust (canton?), Goff.

Oh, well.  0-3 on TNf, now.  HOORAY!!

Geez, the Rams sure did make this much more difficult than it needed to be.  But on the bright side; they are the exact opposite in just about every way to the Seahawks at this point.  If they can continue to build off of these successes, they could potentially win the division for the first time in 14 years.

But first, they have to prove themselves against a quality team.  They're 2-1 so far this season, and both of their wins came against basement-dwellers.  Aw, well.  They still get to play the Jaguars, Texans, 49ers again, the aging Cardinals twice, Saints, Giants, Cowboys, and Eagles.  They win out against all of these opponents--and at least split their series against the Seahawks--that could actually be enough to win that division this year.  Heck, only losing to one or two of them might still be enough.  Suddenly, the Rams get an easy schedule and even if it doesn't necessarily make them Super Bowl contenders, it at the very least could serve as a serious confidence booster going forward.  Will they finally escape the long-dreaded basement that has plagued the franchise since the fall of the Greatest Show on Turf?  Time will tell.....

On 9/20/2017 at 4:35 AM, Bolt said:

ALERT! ALERT!...Sunday EARLY-Morning game!!!  (Don't forget)

V            V            V

Edited by Bolt

Let's cut to the chase.  Got my Rams pick correct, though they made it hard on me:

Baltimore Ravens vs. Jacksonville Jaguars:  Again, picking the Ravens.  Though given the mountain of injuries, it's very much possible for the Jaguars to pull away with the win, especially since the Jaguars are much healthier than the Ravens are at this point, and both still have strong defensive units.  Still, I think it's safe to say that Joe Flacco is at least more dependable a quarterback than Blake Bortles, who is looking more like this generation's newest Jay Cutler or Rex Grossman of QB's.  At least it took a long while for Cutler's teams to become shit.

Denver Broncos vs. Buffalo Bills:  Again, picking the Broncos to win this one.  Yes, defensively, the Bills can match the Broncos blow-for-blow, and it's on their home turf.  The last time these two clubs met, the Bills shut out Peyton Manning, even though they lost.  They did the same thing to Aaron Rodgers the week after, and they actually won that game.  And those are two of the greatest QB's of all time for crying out loud.  I think, however, the Bills are merely in the stage in the game where the coaching staff is weeding some of the players that either are not very good or simply do not fit in with their future schemes.  As such, they're not quite in the process of tanking so much as they are experimenting.  The Broncos, meanwhile, seem pretty determined to not just make it back to the Super Bowl but to hopefully try and establish themselves as a Super Bowl dynasty.  And if the Broncos play the way that they played against the Cowboys last weekend, and do that consistently every week, this team might actually win yet another one.  Fingers crossed.

Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Chicago Bears:  Even though I think the Bears can actually win this game--not only are the Steelers notorious for playing down to their opponent's level, but apparently, they have a notoriously putrid record against the Bears in Chicago.  Two reasons why I'm picking the Steelers, though; Mike Glennon is still their QB, and that offensive line is an absolute joke.  Hence, the reason why offensive linemen should actually go out and train in their practice pads against defensive players instead of getting pampered and protected from the notion of getting hurt.  It's one thing to rest your offensive lineman when he is nursing an injury and you don't want to aggravate any further injuries; it's another to keep everybody from playing altogether; if not for the constant politicizing of the sport, these offensive linemen would have been prepared and somebody would have dethroned the Patriots years ago.

Atlanta Falcons vs. Detroit Lions:  This one is a surprisingly difficult pick to make, but all things considered, some of these sports analysts might be on to something when many made a bold prediction about the Lions finally ending their curse and hoist a Lombardi trophy.  This game may actually demonstrate whether or not they'll be ready to be considered a Super Bowl team.  Although one must keep in mind that the Lions are notorious for choking in December and beyond, as it always appears that the squad reaches its peak on Thanksgiving.  But look on the bright side; the Lions actually won big in that month all the way back in 2015 and thus saved their head coach Jim Caldwell's job.  Screw it; let's pick the Lions and see what happens.  Needless to say, some of these home teams have to win.

Cleveland Browns vs. Indianapolis Colts:  ...........................Fuck it!  I'm picking the Browns.  If they can't even beat the Colts at this stage in the season, then it's gonna become pretty clear that their head isn't screwed on right, and it will require a decade or so's worth of purging.  If not for the Jets tanking the season, the Colts would look like an easy pick for worst team in the NFL right now.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs. Minnesota Vikings:  Big news:  Sam Bradford already ruled out for tomorrow's game.  This pretty much means the Bucs are most likely going to steamroll this Vikings squad to 2-0.

Houston Texans vs. New England Patriots:  Probably the easiest pick of the weekend by far, I'm going with the Patriots.  At home, and against a rookie QB.  Heck, they could bench Tom Brady and start Jimmy Garapollo, and still kick their asses.  Have fun Texans' offensive line!

Miami Dolphins vs. New York Jets:  Even though Jay Cutler could very easily cost them the game--especially if their RB somehow doesn't produce (and by extension, cost the Jets the top pick in the draft--trust me, the Jets are going to end up winning a couple games entirely on accident, or via an opposing team's self-destruction), I'm still picking the Dolphins to beat the Jets.  Trust me; there isn't a single game on the schedule where the Jets would ever be considered a trustworthy pick to make.

New York Giants vs. Philadelphia Eagles:  At least the Giants can claim to have a very strong defensive unit.  But until they can find a way to produce points, it's hard to pick them.  The good news is, the Eagles' QB, Carson Wentz, has so far in his young career struggled against top notch defense, as last week's performance against the Chiefs has demonstrated.  The bad news is, it's still the Eagles, and the Giants and Eagles notoriously hate each other.  Not to mention the fact that the Eagles squad tend to play all their division rivals quite violently.  Remember the body-bag game, anyone!?  All things considered, it's hard to pick the Giants to win this one, especially in one of the most hostile football environments that there is, especially for a division rival.  And especially if the Giants continue to struggle to score points.  Still, there is a clear cut recipe for this team to come out with a big road win to hopefully salvage their season.  Nobody since the 1998 Buffalo Bills had ever wanted to start the season 0-3, after all.

New Orleans Saints vs. Carolina Panthers:  Another tail of two opposites, and a harder pick to make than it should be on paper.  Sure, the Panthers are clearly a superior team in every way to the Saints, but the Panthers have been hit with some recently devastating injuries, and they have yet to figure out how to plug in Christian McCaffrey in their system.  They may actually have no choice but to figure it out quickly, however, as Greg Olsen and Kelvin Benjamin are both hurt.  Still, on the plus side, the Saints defense is going to be garbage yet again.  Be as it may, even with aging stars Drew Brees and Adrien Peterson, they can at least still score some points on the board.  Still, it's pretty clear where the Saints truly belong at this point--in the basement at last.  I'm picking the Panthers to find the will to survive somehow.

Seattle Seahawks vs. Tennessee Titans:  I'm gonna make a bold prediction, here; the Legion of Boom's decent to the NFL basement is fast approaching.  Their utter radical politicization has essentially poisoned the organization far worse than any kneeling Colin Kaepernick has done--at least the damage to the 49ers was effectively severe well over a year before he started doing that.  Because now, their offensive line isn't getting any practice reps, and as such, they instead find that the best way to protect their quarterback is by chasing after the defensive linemen while Russell Wilson runs for his life.  And Richard Sherman, Michael Bennett, and Kam Chancellor may have already solidified their future inductions into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, but their radical activisim will eventually cause people to run for the hills as the NFL as a whole is set ablaze.  Speaking of setting them ablaze, even after discussing my picks with my dad, the Titans still match up with the Seahawks brilliantly, and in such an eerily similar matter to that of the Cowboys back in 2014, who I actually did pick to pull away with a road upset.  If the Titans like to consider themselves a serious contender, now's the time to prove it.  But if certain key injuries happen to persist and thus they are unable to start, I may consider switching my picks here (at least it's the afternoon game).  No wonder Marshawn Lynch spent the entire last season in retirement before hopping over to the Raiders.

Cincinnati Bengals vs. Green Bay Packers:  It is now time for Aaron Rodgers to get his win against the 31st and final NFL team he has yet to win against.  His team only played the Bengals twice before while he was the starter--in 2009 and in 2013--and in both cases, the Bengals were division champions.  Now, the Bengals have finally reverted to being the Bungles yet again.  As such, regardless of the health of some key players, I'm picking the Packers.  The Bengals might not have yet demonstrated themselves as ready for the NFL basement, but in Week 3, they probably will be.

Kansas City Chiefs vs. LA Chargers:  Let me make a couple of guesses:  Homefield advantage isn't gonna mean jackshit for an organization whose current hometown never even wanted them; the stadium bleachers will be filled mostly by Kansas City Chiefs fans; the Chargers will play the Chiefs tough; and their kicker will once again miss the game-winning or game-tying field goal.  Or worse--he'll continue to miss several field goals and PAT's, and thus forcing the Chargers coaches to either cut him or constantly try to convert on 4th down on every play (and presumably make constant 2-point conversions, similar to the Steelers a couple of years ago).  Either way, I guess the Chiefs will come away with a win handed to them on a silver platter.  All because of one lousy rookie kicker whose confidence by this point is likely shattered into a million pieces.

Oakland Raiders vs. Washington Redskins:  The Oakland Raiders have to travel a great distance to play the Redskins--whose offense of their very own can keep up with the Raiders all game long.  Marshawn Lynch may not have been a huge playmaker like he was during the dominant reign of the Legion of Boom, but at least he seems content playing second fiddle to Derek Carr, who is currently playing on an MVP-style level so far this season.  Besides, probably the main reason why the Seahawks' offensive line was ever any good was because Beast Mode WAS their offensive line.  So for as long as defenses have to cover him, Derek Carr should be safe.  At least until he breaks his arm again.  Still, I'm going with the Raiders in that one.  Hopefully, it will be a fun one, and as a Broncos fan, the Raiders actually lose.

Dallas Cowboys vs. Arizona Cardinals:  In spite finally getting Monday night's off, I feel like I'd rather go see the new Kingsmen in theaters instead of watching this game.  Sure, the Cowboys just suffered the most brutal loss for our two rookie stars careers thus far, but now they are heading out west against a team that is old, decrepit, and all but dead at this point.  I feel bad for Bruce Arians and Larry Fitzgerald; both men really do deserve to win Super Bowls before they go.  But alas, it looks like their time has long since past.  I'm picking the Cowboys to win this one.

Locks

LA Rams @ San Francisco

Denver @ Buffalo

Pittsburgh @ Chicago

Atlanta @ Detroit

Tampa Bay @ Minnesota

Houston @ New England

Miami @ NY Jets

Cincinnati @ Green Bay

Kansas City @ LA Chargers

Oakland @ Washington

Dallas @ Arizona

Slightly confident

NY Giants @ Philadelphia

New Orleans @ Carolina

Not sure yet

Seattle @ Tennessee

Cleveland @ Indianapolis

*Picks subject to change - whatever I pick in the Yahoo Pick Em League is official

Denver @ Buffalo

New Orleans @ Carolina

Pittsburgh @ Chicago

Atlanta @ Detroit

Cleveland @ Indianapolis

Tampa Bay @ Minnesota

Houston @ New England

Miami @ NYJets

NYGiants @ Philadelphia

Seattle @ Tennessee

Cincinnati @ Green Bay

Kansas City @ LAChargers

Edited by Bolt
I forgot to mention my 4:25 picks earlier (at 4:02), but it's on me'Yahoo.

Tally-Ho!

Ever feel like you SHOULD pick the other team;  but just can't bring yourself to do it?

For me, that was Minnesota and Buffalo (at the very least) this Week ...

Ah, well:  at least I got Falcons "right."

(did the refs/league?)

I got killed this week.  owch.

I went in about 15 min before noon kickoff and made like 4 changes to my previous picks, lost every single one of them.  IND, MIN, TEN, BUF

Good call, bolt, on the chicago/pittsburgh matchup research.  I did not heed the advice and or respect magic mike glennon.

Pressure's on, ya'll:  Bodom just won for the 2nd week in a row!...  Cheers, Bodom.

You might've had a losing record this week (you did...unless you're Bodom), but at least NONE of us had a winning record:

To quick-recap WEEK 3 Predictions

1. @Bodom  8-8

2. @Mike Gordan / Bolt / buck  7-9

{If I hadn't been such an anti-Cowboyist dirty Red tonite, I might've picked against the birds - and ultimately tied Bodom - but I just couldn't bring myself to do it}

Now rockin' the Overall helm is, Bodom - at 28-19 - to 27-20 Bolt / Mike Gordan; & TecmoSuperFan

The Patriots and I are still on the same page.  Both shit our pants week 1.  Came back with a vengeance week 2.  Barely snuck by week 3, but things are looking optimistic. 

13 hours ago, Bolt said:

Pressure's on, ya'll:  Bodom just won for the 2nd week in a row!...  Cheers, Bodom.

You might've had a losing record this week (you did...unless you're Bodom), but at least NONE of us had a winning record:

To quick-recap WEEK 3 Predictions

1. @Bodom  8-8

2. @Mike Gordan / Bolt / buck  7-9

{If I hadn't been such an anti-Cowboyist dirty Red tonite, I might've picked against the birds - and ultimately tied Bodom - but I just couldn't bring myself to do it}

Now rockin' the Overall helm is, Bodom - at 28-19 - to 27-20 Bolt / Mike Gordan; & TecmoSuperFan

I was 1-0