Bolt

WEEK 2 Predictions

Continuing - ALL - our Inaugural T-Borg Pick'em!!! ...

Ground rules:  GET YOUR PICKS IN BY GAME-TIME, FOLKS.

Thursday, 9/14 8:25pmE.T.

Houston @ Cincinnati

Sunday, 9/17 1:00pmE.T.

Buffalo @ Carolina

Chicago @ Tampa Bay

Minnesota @ Pittsburgh

Arizona @ Indianapolis

New England @ New Orleans

Cleveland @ Baltimore

Philadelphia @ Kansas City

Tennessee @ Jacksonville

4:05pmE.T.

NYJets @ Oakland

Miami @ LAChargers

4:25pmE.T.

Dallas @ Denver

San Francisco @ Seattle

washington @ LARams

8:30pmE.T.

Green Bay @ Atlanta

Monday, 9/18 8:30pmE.T.

Detroit @ NYGiants

Re-cap of WEEK 1 Borgger exploits:

http://tecmobowl.org/forums/topic/69746-week-1-predictions/?do=findComment&comment=483672

Edited by Bolt
Game-Winners are in bold.

Give me until Thursday before I make my picks official.  Though if you want my safe, easy picks for this week, here they are:

Buffalo Bills @ Carolina Panthers:  Picking the Panthers here.  Yes, the Bills did win last week, but in unconvincing fashion against the Jets of all teams.  It's looking pretty clear to me anyways that the Bills are among the worst teams in the league at this point.  I'm going with the Carolina Panthers to win because the expectations for this team is to perhaps win the division, and while the Panthers were sluggish to start, they did win as expected and in expected fashion.  I expect nothing less against the Bills--slightly challenging, but not by much.

Arizona Cardinals @ Indianapolis Colts:  You've seen the way that Colts team played without Andrew Luck!?  You can argue woe-is-me for the Cardinals now moving forward without David Johnson; you cannot possibly convince me that the Colts can win this, even if it is a home game.

NY Jets @ Oakland Raiders:  The Jets are tanking; the Raiders are kicking ass.  End of story.

San Francisco 49ers @ Seattle Seahawks:  Go ahead and compliment a few pieces on defense all you want; Brian Hoyer is not going to upset the Seahawks this week.

As for the Lions vs. Giants game, I'm going to wait until Monday before making a decision here; want to at least gauge the OBJ situation carefully before making a decision here.  The rest of these games require a little bit more contemplation before making a final decision.

Houston @ Cincinnati

Buffalo @ Carolina

Chicago @ Tampa Bay

Minnesota @ Pittsburgh

Arizona @ Indianapolis

Cleveland @ Baltimore

Tennessee @ Jacksonville

NYJets @ Oakland

Miami @ LAChargers

Dallas @ Denver

San Francisco @ Seattle

Washington @ LARams

Green Bay @ Atlanta

Detroit @ NYGiants

Houston @ Cincinnati

Buffalo @ Carolina

Chicago @ Tampa Bay

Minnesota @ Pittsburgh

Arizona @ Indianapolis

Cleveland @ Baltimore

Tennessee @ Jacksonville

NYJets @ Oakland

Miami @ LAChargers

Dallas @ Denver

San Francisco @ Seattle

Washington @ LARams

Green Bay @ Atlanta

Detroit @ NYGiants

Houston Texans @ Cincinnati Bengals:  Okay, so from what I have gathered, an awful lot of you guys really do prefer the Cincinnati Bengals over the Houston Texans.  Well, the Texans decided to start Deshaun Watson at QB.  But currently, both teams have atrocious offensive lines, so the question must be asked:  Who will deliver with a much tougher defensive game?  I will admit that this isn't as easy a decision to make as, say, Jets vs. Raiders; both teams are rated fairly low on my third quadrant, and I am expecting both teams to suck this year.  So, where should I look in determining who between these two teams should win?

How about my own personal opinion on who I want to win?  Bill O'Brien may be one of the most overrated head coaches in the entire NFL, with a quarterback so dysfunctional that it would make the Browns look stable, but at least the Texans still made the playoffs and even won a playoff game the past couple of seasons in spite of these issues.  What as the Bengals done during the Marvin Lewis era?  7 Wild Card losses in 12+ seasons.  Not a single win during that time.  They even suffered 5 consecutive one-and-done's and six in seven years during that stretch.  This is what happens when you draft a bunch of thugs who do not care one wit about winning football games, and do nothing to address the problems you have as a team.  Somebody I know in real life even suspects that the reason why nothing is going to be done to make a change at head coach is because of the fact that Marvin Lewis is black.  So!?  Did Tampa Bay or Chicago keep Lovie Smith?  Did Indianapolis keep Jim Caldwell?  No!?  Well, if those organizations would make the knee-jerk reaction of firing their head coaches in spite their team situations not being their fault and were in fact attempting to make real progress in making their teams relevant again, then why not the Bengals for repeat failures from the same guy since, I'm gonna say...2004!?

Seriously, get rid of him, already!?  Get rid of Vontaze Burfict!  Get rid of Pac-Man Jones!  But none of that is going to happen anytime soon.  There is only one hope for the Bengals to get rid of these pests; they have to fall apart so spectacularly that Bengals fans need to demand their head coach to be chucked all the way across Statelines and into the Badgers.  Translation:  They need to win fewer than four games.  But even then, I doubt anything's going to be done about it.  Marvin Lewis can go 0-16 and still have job security in place.  Ultimately, I want the Texans to win this game.  No, specifically, I want the Bengals to lose this weekend.  And yet somehow, I do not think any of this is going to happen.  The Bengals are going to end up Bungling their way to several wins this season, and Marvin Lewis will come off as competent enough to keep his job.

Translation:  I want to pick the Texans because I want the Bengals to lose.  This pretty much means the Bengals will do the exact opposite of what I want them to do and pull away with the win.

55 minutes ago, Mike Gordan said:

Houston Texans @ Cincinnati Bengals:  Okay, so from what I have gathered, an awful lot of you guys really do prefer the Cincinnati Bengals over the Houston Texans.  Well, the Texans decided to start Deshaun Watson at QB.  But currently, both teams have atrocious offensive lines, so the question must be asked:  Who will deliver with a much tougher defensive game?  I will admit that this isn't as easy a decision to make as, say, Jets vs. Raiders; both teams are rated fairly low on my third quadrant, and I am expecting both teams to suck this year.  So, where should I look in determining who between these two teams should win?

How about my own personal opinion on who I want to win?  Bill O'Brien may be one of the most overrated head coaches in the entire NFL, with a quarterback so dysfunctional that it would make the Browns look stable, but at least the Texans still made the playoffs and even won a playoff game the past couple of seasons in spite of these issues.  What as the Bengals done during the Marvin Lewis era?  7 Wild Card losses in 12+ seasons.  Not a single win during that time.  They even suffered 5 consecutive one-and-done's and six in seven years during that stretch.  This is what happens when you draft a bunch of thugs who do not care one wit about winning football games, and do nothing to address the problems you have as a team.  Somebody I know in real life even suspects that the reason why nothing is going to be done to make a change at head coach is because of the fact that Marvin Lewis is black.  So!?  Did Tampa Bay or Chicago keep Lovie Smith?  Did Indianapolis keep Jim Caldwell?  No!?  Well, if those organizations would make the knee-jerk reaction of firing their head coaches in spite their team situations not being their fault and were in fact attempting to make real progress in making their teams relevant again, then why not the Bengals for repeat failures from the same guy since, I'm gonna say...2004!?

Seriously, get rid of him, already!?  Get rid of Vontaze Burfict!  Get rid of Pac-Man Jones!  But none of that is going to happen anytime soon.  There is only one hope for the Bengals to get rid of these pests; they have to fall apart so spectacularly that Bengals fans need to demand their head coach to be chucked all the way across Statelines and into the Badgers.  Translation:  They need to win fewer than four games.  But even then, I doubt anything's going to be done about it.  Marvin Lewis can go 0-16 and still have job security in place.  Ultimately, I want the Texans to win this game.  No, specifically, I want the Bengals to lose this weekend.  And yet somehow, I do not think any of this is going to happen.  The Bengals are going to end up Bungling their way to several wins this season, and Marvin Lewis will come off as competent enough to keep his job.

Translation:  I want to pick the Texans because I want the Bengals to lose.  This pretty much means the Bengals will do the exact opposite of what I want them to do and pull away with the win.

No.  The Bengals are at home.

Yay.  Was the only one to have gotten the Texans pick correct.  Now to see what other picks I feel comfortable making:

Houston Texans @ Cincinnati Bengals:  Got this one.

Buffalo Bills @ Carolina Panthers:  Picking the Panthers.  Obvious.

Chicago Bears @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers:  The obvious pick--and the pick I'm gonna go with here--probably should be Tampa Bay, but there are a few questions to ponder here, especially given the fact that the Bucs never got a chance to start Week 1.  On top of that, the Bears did play the Falcons pretty tough at home; as such, it's hard to say if the Bears might get good (not enough to escape the basement, but still), or if the Falcons are bad, or simply that the Falcons simply struggle in Soldier Field (it was their first win over there since 1983).  Still, I am a bit confident that the Bucs will win their home opener to start the season.

Minnesota Vikings @ Pittsburgh Steelers:  I still have the Steelers ahead of everybody in the AFC not named the Patriots, and they are favored to win on their home turf.  But the Steelers are notorious for playing down to their competition and underachieving in the most inopportune of times.  Admittedly, the Vikings actually looked really good against the Saints, but will they repeat that success against the Steelers?  I think I'm gonna hold on to this one for the time being.

Arizona Cardinals @ Indianapolis Colts:  Once again, picking the Cardinals.

New England Patriots @ New Orleans Saints:  I'm a little hesitant because sometimes it is difficult whether or not the Patriots are starting to hit a brick wall with Tom Brady.  The symptoms normally do not pop up right away, so every Patriot pick will have to be made with a little bit of caution.  With that said, I still think the Patriots will bounce back with a road win this week.  Similar to Tom Brady, one has to wonder just how much more Drew Brees has left in the tank as well, and Adrien Peterson is at this point in his career nothing more than a husk of what he once was (keep in mind too that Peyton Manning was 38 years old when he started running into the brick wall well into the 2014 season--I'm gonna just go out and say that it became clear in the Broncos' loss to the Rams that Manning's days were numbered).  Besides, with two teams tanking and another having to play through 16 consecutive games without a break.  And next week, they get the Texans; if they can't win 8 games minimum and win their division, it will be hilarious to see, but something will indeed go terribly wrong.  Patriots once again.

Cleveland Browns @ Baltimore Ravens:  I think Deshone Kizer is gonna struggle against that Ravens' defense.  Plus it's in Baltimore.  All-in-all, I think the Ravens are gonna win this one.  It's not a terribly obvious pick since the Browns are expected to at least make some progress.  But I think the Ravens are still highly likely to win this game.

Philadelphia Eagles @ Kansas City Chiefs:  This matchup between two teams might be interesting.  Even though the Eagles head coach is of the illumine of current Chiefs and former Eagles head coach Andy Reid, there is virtually nothing left of the Andy Reid era remaining in Philadelphia.  Even so, I like the Chiefs more; they're a very talented football club on both sides of the ball, and while the loss of Eric Berry will surely hurt the Chiefs down the road, I doubt we'll start seeing the consequences right away.  Alex Smith is going to put it all out on the field this season; it's pretty clear he's motivated to go all the way this year, and whether or not he succeeds will not detract from the fact that I think the Chiefs will continue to be playing hot and hot, even against some of the league's best teams.  Oh yeah, that rookie running back?  Definitely a stud, and in a similar sort of way to Marshall Faulk no less.

Tennessee Titans @ Jacksonville Jaguars:  It is true that the Titans do seem favored to win their weak-ass division, but want to know what I think about this week 2 matchup?  I'm gonna blow a lot of you guys away similar to my Texans pick:  I think the Jaguars will defeat the Titans!  Yes, I am dead serious!  The Jaguars had no trouble ripping that Texans' offensive line a new one and trampling all over their even more sorry excuse for a kicking/punting unit.  What a 180 hiring Doug Marrone was for the Jaguars.  Sure, I'm not ready to rank them ahead of the rest of their division...except the Colts, of course, but if they can pull off a big win against a Titans team a lot of people have pegged to win their division under the most pedestrian and generic of coaching you can imagine, the Jaguars could set the stages for a colossal turnaround from bottom-dweller to playoff team overnight.  This at the very least should be a much more interesting matchup than their previous two games.  But I'm going with the Jaguars to win.  Maybe if something drastic changes, I might change my pick.  But I think the Jaguars are gonna win it.

NY Jets @ Oakland Raiders:  Raiders are gonna win this one.  Once again, pretty obvious.

Miami Dolphins @ LA Chargers:  The Dolphins, like the Buccaneers, had to postpone their week 1 game due to a hurricane.  As a result, we have no idea of this team's true potential.  We at least can tell that the Chargers are gonna grind out their season for better or for worse.  Still, I'm gonna have to lean on the home team this time, even though the Dolphins would be practicing over there as well.

Dallas Cowboys vs. Denver Broncos:  I'm...gonna hold out on my predictions towards this game for later.

San Francisco 49ers @ Seattle Seahawks:  If you honestly think that sorry excuse for a football roster is gonna go into Century Link Field and pull away with a major upset--even against that atrocious offensive line--you have another thing coming.  Seahawks are winning.

Washington Redskins @ LA Rams:  My second bold prediction of the week--I'm gonna be picking the Rams to win at home against the Redskins.  It's pretty much clear that the only player on that Redskins roster that is any good anymore is the QB, Kirk Cousins.  And sure, that might be enough for the Redskins to win a few games here and there, but it will not be enough to prevent the inevitable--the Redskins are going back to the basement this year.  Oh, and the Rams are gonna start the season 3-0.  And you can take that to the bank.

Green Bay Packers @ Atlanta Falcons:  If the Patriots are not the team to beat this year, it will be either the Packers or the Seahawks (though the Cowboys are on the rise as well, but let's just wait and see).  True, the Falcons are defending NFC Champions and should have won the Super Bowl the year before, but it's gonna be a long, long uphill climb for this team to make it back to the summit.  Besides, if there's one certainty, the first game in a new stadium for any football club is essentially bad luck.  Teams either lose their first game in their new home stadium, or a key player goes down due to injury.  I'm not only predicting a Packers' road upset here, but I'm also predicting that Matt Ryan or Julio Jones will get concussed or something to that effect.  Look on the upside, however; at least none of their players made an appearance on the cover of Madden 18.

Detroit Lions @ NY Giants:  I'm gonna hold off my prediction here.  Mainly because it is a toss-up that is determined by whether or not OBJ will be ready to play.  If he is, I'm going with the Giants.  If not, then the Lions will be my pick to win next week.

So there's only three games I'm gonna hold off on making a prediction:  Minnesota @ Pittsburgh, Dallas @ Denver, and Detroit @ Giants.  I'll wait until gameday to make my predictions on the first two.  The third will be made as soon as we hear of the OBJ status.

I was pretty sure Houston would win. Then I tried to use logic (Hou injuries, Watson 1st start, etc.) and changed my pick to Cincy 1 minute before gametime. Always go with your gut. 

Sam Bradford may not be healthy enough to actually start for the Vikings.  And if he does start, he will just barely be healthy enough to do so.  Be as it may, I'm going to go with the Steelers; it was a toss-up since the Steelers don't always deal with defensive-oriented teams very well, but the loss of Sam Bradford (now confirmed) makes the Steelers my pick for the morning games.  Since I already had my button on the Steelers, I don't need to make any changes in my Pro Football Pick'em group.

On 9/12/2017 at 11:34 AM, Bolt said:

Buffalo @ Carolina

Chicago @ Tampa Bay

Minnesota @ Pittsburgh

Arizona @ Indianapolis

Cleveland @ Baltimore

Tennessee @ Jacksonville

I'm 10-4 so far this week.  If this game continues on as usual, I may even drop down to 10-5.  I was 8-1 by the time the afternoon games commenced.  I'm still waiting on the OBJ situation with the Giants before I make any concrete decisions regarding tomorrow night's game.

Speaking of which, the Seahawks, man!  I don't care what anybody else thinks of that unit, I think it's safe to say they might have the single worst offensive line of any team in the entire league.  Now I am highly doubtful this team is even capable of making the Super Bowl this year.  It's pretty clear now that Marshawn Lynch was single-handedly their offensive line during the pinnacle of their Legion of Boom era.

55 minutes ago, gojiphen malor said:

I feel I have an unfair advantage adjusting SIM ratings after week 1

Don't say that.

(Don't be like TecmoSuperFan, and self-sabotage...

After whooping us all and going 14-1 last week, TSF went 8-7 this week (so far).

Just kidding, TSF.

(At least he got ATL right! ;)))

Bodom!  You moved ahead of me!

Edited by Bolt

No, I'm just joking, it's all good:  You're still 1st - overall - at 22-8;  to Bodom's 20-10, & Kamphuna / Gordan / my 19-11

12 minutes ago, TecmoSuperFan said:

well i mean is it self sabotage if i made my picks knowing i had to watch my nephew for a week and couldn't change them? XD