Team matchup sheet for new players

bruddog

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, bruddog said:

Ok I refined a few things to include all OL HP vs all front 5 defender HP and user DL. Feel free to make your own custom changes to the grades.  This should account for many of the subtler parts of matchups but maybe not all of them. 

image.thumb.png.62ff1e99a23c54fc928db33c3e5f14ed.png

team_tiers_OG.xlsx

Keep going! Add some WR vs DB calcs!

is something like this 

in the sheets?

for example, for a given team take the qb PC and the best wr REC and show the int and completion stuff,  that knobbe asks about, for the given defense.

syntax error>?  anyways, something that will show the "safe" (or "unsafe") combinations

Edited by buck

Some stuff looked wrong again. Google sheet updated

1. Downgrade QB run values by 1

2. Increased value of JJ pick mismatch by 1

3. Doubled DL popcorn value if on interior (RE,NT,LE)

4. Added special condtional for best/only DB at bottom CB/DB4 (this applied to DET, MIN, CIN,WAS,NE...SD has seale and SF has LOTT...torn on WAS as Green only has 44int. 

5. Added extra special conditional for CIN vs DET to remove the penalty since fulcher can pop everyone. 

team_tiers_OG_3.xlsx

I like it, dude.  It seems like the team rankings that conclude in "TOTAL" are consistent with how I "perceive" the rankings to be (gut feelings, experience, etc).  

But, where do some of the cells like "44 PC or lower" come into play?  is this just a logical 1, like a switch, used for something else?

1 hour ago, buck said:

I like it, dude.  It seems like the team rankings that conclude in "TOTAL" are consistent with how I "perceive" the rankings to be (gut feelings, experience, etc).  

But, where do some of the cells like "44 PC or lower" come into play?  is this just a logical 1, like a switch, used for something else?

I edited my first post  to explain most of the sheet. Its used in a threshold check to see if one team can jump intercept another and vice verse. 

+1 for a 3 notch difference 

*2 for a 4 or more notch difference

So like was vs min both teams get a +2 (44 pc vs 69 int) and thus they cancel out and the bonus is not applied to either team. 

On 9/11/2017 at 2:15 PM, bruddog said:

This a matchup spreadsheet that attempts to provide a rating and matchup analysis for any two teams chose

EXCEL SHEET:  team_tiers_OG_3.xlsx

Google Sheets: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1w0sntWyYUWOZ0xVncnGATONP57lnqFUZuIhDgYoh2Z8/edit#gid=626874606 

OFFENSE

QB RUN = Rating given based on QB's max speed. Fast QB's are tough to stop without a LB to help spy. They can often grind out first downs as you are forced to choose between going after the QB or leaving a man open. 

RUN = Rating given based on RB's max speed. Special exception given to Okoye's 94HP which makes him as dangerous as 63MS player vs weak HP secondaries.  

PASS = Rating given to teams passing game QB + WRS

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

DEFENSE

F5Pop = Bonus pts given if the DL HP vs Ol HP differential is enough for the DL to break through the OL instantly making running and passing tougher.  Double points if it comes from the interior.

LB = Grade given to entire unit based on all ratings but HP 

DB = Grade given to entire unit based on all ratings but HP 

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

SPECIAL

JJ Mismatch = If one team has a player whose int rating is at least 3 skill notches (example 69 int vs 50 pc)  they will have a 50% chance of jumping to intercept the pass if they are in the right place. If its 4 notches or greater they will have a 100% chance of jumping to intercept the pass if they are in the right place. 1 bonus pt given for a 3 notch difference. 2 Bonus pts given for a 4 or more notch difference. 

94 HP Blocker = Putting a 94 HP blocker at TE vs a 44HP or less bottom LB  (50 HP differential) can help greatly as on one of the best runs in the game(Run 3 R&S sweep down) the LB will get popped giving you an extra blocker in the way allowing you to get some extra yards. 1 pt given for this mismatch.

OTHER

LB4 = Having a good player at this position helps defeat a number of runs fairly easily by diving right after the snap at the RB or by grappling the blocker immediately and then outtapping the RB. 1 pt given for a good player here.

RCB/FS = These are good positions to have for stopping run plays and not being in the way of power running plays to the bottom. 1 pt given for a good player here. The can also provide coverage vs the best WR's as the best WR is often put at the top of the screen. 

DL use = This has a number of conditional checks but if a team has no LBs and/or they are playing a bad QB selecting a DL can be useful to help maximize your coverage. Especially if you know a pass is coming (aka shotgun). Especially useful vs the redgun and weak QB's if you have no LB's to use. 

DB vs run = in somewhat opposite fashion a penalty is given if your best DB is at bottom CB or SS or if your only good player is at CB as a good run game can really neutralize the effectiveness of using that player by running all of their runs to the bottom. Penalty ranges from -1 to -2 depending on the strength of the run game of the team faced. Special exception in CIN vs DET matchup with Fulcher being able to popcorn everyone on DET. 

KR = 1 pt given to the return game of PIT and 2 to NO since they can put a 94HP returner there. 

OFF= Off total score

DEF= DEF total score

OTH = other total score

SP= special total score.

SPECIAL INFORMATION

Coverage catch tables of best qb and best wr vs (19int lb,best db and worst Db have been provided so you can see how much of a mismatch you are at there). These percentages only apply

when the WR doesn't jump or dive and there is only one defender covering.  *****A defender may appear to be in coverage but if the game doesn't determine him to be in on the play when the pass is 1/4 of the way he will have no effect on the outcome of the pass*****

OL vs front 5 HP matchup 

image.thumb.png.c8c2319696c5163a97451cbd3138789f.png

just quoting this for the page 2.  Great breakdown Bru

• 3 months later...
18 hours ago, davefmurray said:

Why are you bumping this and tagging Bru? lol

Wow. This I don't recall. I don't know why I atted brudd either. He asked me about this last night. I was bumping something else, at least that's what I thought I was doing. Whoops

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Attached are two different versions of a file I created called TSB Matchup Matrix (Numbers, PDF) based off of bruddog's team tiers OG 3 Excel file.

It shows bruddog's matchup rating for every potential matchup in Tecmo Super Bowl then adds all of the ratings together creating a "power ranking" of all the teams.

I then took this aggregate power ranking to further analyze the matchups to see just how much of an advantage one team has over another (excluding player skill).

Hopefully, new players and maybe even some long time vets will find it useful deciding how much of an edge they are willing to give up to get a specific team in a matchup.

TSB Matchup Matrix.numbers

TSB Matchup Matrix.pdf

@The Ultimate Weapon you must have missed the matchup matrix that was on the actual google docs page. It would have saved you some timehttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1w0sntWyYUWOZ0xVncnGATONP57lnqFUZuIhDgYoh2Z8/edit#gid=1458101331 

image.thumb.png.b08a1339b1fc7a6e73697057df79bdc0.png

As a disclaimer these numbers are just rough guidelines not fact.  It's hard to fully estimate all the nuances of every matchup. Example I personally think HOU vs SF is a closer match than SF vs NYG even though that's what the numbers above show. 

1 hour ago, bruddog said:

@The Ultimate Weapon you must have missed the matchup matrix that was on the actual google docs page. It would have saved you some timehttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1w0sntWyYUWOZ0xVncnGATONP57lnqFUZuIhDgYoh2Z8/edit#gid=1458101331 

image.thumb.png.b08a1339b1fc7a6e73697057df79bdc0.png

As a disclaimer these numbers are just rough guidelines not fact.  It's hard to fully estimate all the nuances of every matchup. Example I personally think HOU vs SF is a closer match than SF vs NYG even though that's what the numbers above show. 

Yes I did see this - it's what inspired me to make the other sheet so instead of just seeing if a matchup is a 0,1,2, etc you can see how those 0,1,2,etc rank against other matchups.  Great job on both the Excel sheet and the heat map btw.  Very interesting and helpful to see the WR catch % especially!