Sign in to follow this  
Big fan of Fentry, mahself

WEEK 1 Predictions

Welcome - ALL - to the Inaugural T-Borg Pick'em!!!

Ground rules:  GET YOUR PICKS IN BY GAME-TIME, FOLKS.

Thursday, 9/7 8:30pmE.T.

Kansas City @ New England

Sunday, 9/10 1:00pmE.T.

NYJets @ Buffalo

Jacksonville @ Houston

Pittsburgh @ Cleveland

Arizona @ Detroit

[POSTPONED - till Wk 11 - Tampa Bay @ Miami...  Irma.]

Atlanta @ Chicago

Oakland @ Tennessee

Baltimore @ Cincinnati

Philadelphia @ Washington

4:05pmE.T.

Indianapolis @ LARams

4:25pmE.T.

Carolina @ San Francisco

Seattle @ Green Bay

8:30pmE.T.
NYGiants @ Dallas

Monday, 9/11 7:10pmE.T.

New Orleans @ Minnesota

10:20pmE.T.

LAChargers @ Denver

Feel free to enter into the Tecmo Pick'em group, as well.  See the link, below.

Edited by Bolt
Game-Winners are now in bold.

Okay, so here's my weekly Pick 'em's:

Kansas City Chiefs @ New England Patriots:  A bit of trivia:  Andy Reid has only ever defeated Bill Belichick once, back in 2014.  That particular thrashing was what unleashed the beast that would eventually lead the Patriots to their first title in a decade and the revival of their long dormant dynasty.  Other than that, the Patriots have had a reputation of owning Andy Reid-coached teams so frequently that they even defeated him in a Super Bowl.  Since this is Week 1 of the season and Tom Brady hasn't shown any serious signs of digression yet (what little we've seen of him, anyways), the only way this Chief's team is pulling out the road upset is if they shatter Brady's knees again.  Even then, I do believe the Patriots still won that game anyways back in 2008.  So, I'm going with the Patriots here.

NY Jets @ Buffalo Bills:  I do believe both of these teams are intending to tank their respective seasons, though it's pretty clear the Jets are far more intent than the Bills are.  Seriously, the Jets have gotten rid of nearly every single player even remotely talented, and are so atrocious at this point that what little signs there are that the Bills are gonna tank as well are not going to immediately counteract the fact that the Jets have literally nobody to depend on in that particular core.  The Bills pull out the victory.

Jacksonville Jaguars @ Houston Texans:  If Blake Bortles' confidence really is shattered, it's likely it won't matter much how talented that defensive unit might be, or how unrealiable Tom Savage will be at QB.  I'm still picking the Texans to win at home, unless Hurricane Harvey proves so devastating that the Texans go through the entire season unmotivated to play.

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Cleveland Browns:  Unlike in most seasons up to now, it's not a shoe-in to pick the Browns to lose.  I do think they have the capacity to defeat the Steelers in Week 1.  They're definitely getting close to being relevant in the NFL in a positive way again.  But they have to first prove that they are before I can pick them to pull away with any major upsets.  They're gonna do so eventually.  But for now, the Steelers are the safe pick.

Atlanta Falcons @ Chicago Bears:  Okay, I am seriously not considering the Falcons to become a serious playoff contender.  I still think it's likely they'll miss the playoffs.  But there is no way in hell I'm picking the Falcons to lose to the Bears, let alone to Mike Glennon.

Indianapolis Colts @ LA Rams:  Okay, Andrew Luck is going to be out at least during the first week of the regular season.  The Colts have no defense, they have nothing else but a slew of receivers and RB Frank Gore.  And yes, that even means that they have no offensive line to speak of.  Surely, the Rams' defense should be able to exploit all of these traits and pull away with a massive home win.  But then you realize that the Rams' QB is none other than Jared Goff, who is looking more and more like the most horribly inept QB ever to be selected first overall in the draft since Jamarcus Russell.  And you realize that unless you're the 2006 Bears, it is next to impossible to win in this league when your QB doesn't even know how to throw a pass if his life depends on it.  I'm still picking the Rams to win this game, but if they can't even get the task of defeating a Colts team that is heading towards a descent towards ineptitude, ugh, this will be a long, long year for a Rams organization that hasn't won anything meaningful in over a decade.

Carolina Panthers @ San Francisco 49ers:  Okay, the traditional rule of thumb is that the 49ers always win their Week 1 openers.  The Panthers, on the other hand, are more known for losing their Week 1 openers.  And it never seems to matter how good one team is compared to the other.  Well, you know what?  Sooner or later, picking the 49er's to win Week 1 is going to register as horribly inept.  Because the 49er's are right beside the Jets and Bears at this point in sheer lack of talent as well as for sheer ineptitude that compared to a Carolina Panthers' squad that will surely make strides to atone for Super Bowl 50, I just can't imagine the Panthers losing this game.  Even if Cam Newton misses time, the Panthers have talent on that roster; the 49ers do not.

Seattle Seahawks @ Green Bay Packers:  This game is a little trickier to peg down than some of the other games I've covered in this comment alone (I'm leaving out five of them for now because none of them felt like they should be no-brainers).  The Seahawks and Packers have developed quite a bit of a storied rivalry since that gaff with the refs back in 2012.  And while I do believe that the Seahawks are the likeliest team in the NFC to make it back to the Super Bowl, I do believe the Packers are their closest rival, even as it becomes clear that Aaron Rodgers is the man single-handedly carrying his team back to the playoffs year-in and year-out.  As such, I much prefer the Packers to get off to a one-game advantage over the Seahawks to start the season.

Dallas Cowboys @ NY Giants:  Let's keep it simple; last year, the Giants swept the Cowboys when the latter team had all their pieces in place.  Now, RB Ezekiel Elliot will most likely be missing some time due to suspension.  This should be a no-brainer.  Giants win this one at home.

LA Chargers @ Denver Broncos:  Until I lose confidence in my own Denver Bronco squad, this matchup clearly looks favorable for the Broncos' defense.  Yes, the Chargers are going to be more competitive this year than they were recently--the AFC West is probably the toughest division in the entire NFL at this point--but QB Trevor Simien should be much better now than he was last year, and we should continue to have a highly productive offensive unit and secondary to boot.  The only serious question mark is whether or not new head coach Vance Joseph will pan out in the NFL.  And with many of our defensive line having left since winning Super Bowl 50--including Demarcus Ware's retirement--the Broncos are currently heading into uncharted territory here.  Still, based strictly on the current core that we have, the Broncos should be able to overcome and defeat the Chargers.

Meanwhile, Miami and Tampa will be delayed until the week of November 11th due to hurricane Irma, and I am not quite comfortable enough to make the following picks yet:

Arizona Cardinals @ Detroit Lions:  On paper, the Cardinals are a vastly superior team to the Lions in every faucet of the game.  But a few problems arose when making a decision on who would win this game or not; the Cardinals' offense is aging badly, and while the Lions are one of the few teams in the NFL that is officially a one-man show, the Lions are still the hosting football team, and Matthew Stafford is currently a much more reliable QB than 37-year-old Carson Palmer.  I need to deliberate more on this one.

Oakland Raiders @ Tennessee Titans:  Definitely the toughest game to pick this week.  Both teams are expected to take the next step and win their divisions, and maybe even compete for a Super Bowl, provided somebody finds a way to stop Tom Brady.  Tennessee has the slight advantage with homefield advantage as well as a balanced unit between a good offense and a good defense.  Meanwhile, the Raiders may have had the statistically worst defense of any team in the league, but that offense, man just tears shit up half the time as the Raiders found a way to win a dozen or so games.  The Raiders pretty much live or die by Derek Carr's hands, and he has become quite the confident QB since his porous 0-10 start in his rookie year.  Both teams could be fun to watch, but for now, I have to think about it a bit.

Baltimore Ravens @ Cincinnati Bengals:  In recent years, the Bengals have continuously swept the Ravens--even when the Ravens are clearly a better football team.  But nowadays, the Ravens are stuck in neutral, while the Bengals are in the steady process of becoming lolcows anchored by a bunch of thugs who do not care about winning games so much as they do about lashing out at other people.  Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bengals find some way to win this game.  But for now, I'm not quite confident enough to make such a prediction.

Philadelphia Eagles @ Washington Redskins:  Yes, I do believe that the Eagles are a vastly superior football team than the Washington Redskins are currently.  The Redskins' offense has taken a few too many crucial cuts, and their defense has yet to receive a proper patch-up.  Not to mention the Eagles' defense is going to be splendid, and it looks like the trade up for Carson Wentz may actually pan out.  But, uh, that may not actually be the whole story, since it doesn't necessarily mean the Eagles will win.  Not only will this game be played in DC, but it's going to be a Week 1 game.  I am, however, much closer to a pick on this one than I am the other four games, but for now, I'm keeping it in my back pocket.

New Orleans Saints @ Minnesota Vikings:  The Saints have the offense and the motivation; the Vikings have the defense and the homefield advantage.  Meanwhile, Adrien Peterson and Drew Brees are now both old as dirt; Sam Bradford, on the other hand, is made of glass.  Generally speaking, the Vikings should be able to win this one due to the whole defense vs. offense angle, as well as the fact that the game is going to be played in Minnesota instead of New Orleans.  But one cannot underestimate the power of motivation.  Either team can win this one.  As such, I'm going to perhaps wait until the final hours before making my prediction--after all, the deadline is 5 minutes or so before kickoff.

On 9/1/2017 at 1:01 AM, Bolt said:

Sunday, 9/10 1:00pmE.T.

NYJets @ Buffalo

Jacksonville @ Houston

Pittsburgh @ Cleveland

Arizona @ Detroit

[POSTPONED - till Wk 11 - Tampa Bay @ Miami...  Irma.]

Atlanta @ Chicago

Oakland @ Tennessee

Baltimore @ Cincinnati

Jets are ready to ball, and the bills are a shambles

Edited by Bolt

Survivor Pool pick:

Pittsburgh @ Cleveland

Picks with good confidence:

Jacksonville @ Houston

Atlanta @ Chicago

Carolina @ San Francisco

LA Chargers @ Denver

Picks with little confidence:

NY Jets @ Buffalo

Oakland @ Tennessee

Baltimore @ Cincinnati

NY Giants @ Dallas

New Orleans @ Minnesota

Toss up:

Indianapolis @ LA Rams

Arizona @ Detroit

Seattle @ Green Bay

MY SPREAD picks

1. KC +8.5 (can post proof if anyone cares)

2. ARI -1.5

3. WAS +0.5

4  ATL -7.5

5. NYJ +9.5

6. CIN -2.5

7  PIT -8.5

8 HOU -5.5

9 OAK +1.5

10 RAMS -3.5

11 GB -3.5

12 CAR -5.5 

13 NYG +3.5

14 NO +3.5

15 DEN -3.5

I, for one, believe you.

2 hours ago, bruddog said:

1. KC +8.5 (can post proof if anyone cares)

However, does "KC" - and all these listed teams -

2 hours ago, bruddog said:

2. ARI -1.5

3. WAS +0.5

4  ATL -7.5

5. NYJ +9.5

6. CIN -2.5

7  PIT -8.5

8 HOU -5.5

9 OAK +1.5

10 RAMS -3.5

11 GB -3.5

12 CAR -5.5 

13 NYG +3.5

14 NO +3.5

15 DEN -3.5

mean you picked them to win?  I don't get it

49 minutes ago, Bolt said:

I, for one, believe you.

However, does "KC" - and all these listed teams -

mean you picked them to win?  I don't get it

No. If you don't know how spreads works I'll do the first couple

1. KC +8.5 means I picked KC to lose by less than 8.5  

2. ARI -1.5 means I picked ARI to win by 1.5 or more

3. WAS +0.5 means I picked washington to lose by less than 0.5 pt (basically a pickem) 

1 hour ago, Mike Gordan said:

I'm 7-4 so far--looking more and more like 7-5 due to the Giants' ineffectiveness on offense.

I know what you mean.  I'm 8-5, too.  (You're 8-5, Gordan.)

It all depends upon tactical machinations, really.

(I don't even know what I just said.)

4 hours ago, TecmoSuperFan said:

damn xD most of those i actually guessed.

But I do know that we're hot on the heels of 12-1 TecmoSuperFan (even though he already won WEEK 1).

#ItsALongSlog

Mostly a crapshoot.  Although my interest in the NFL this year, outside of the Patriots, is at an all-time low.  I even ditched fantasy for the first time in 13 years.  I had no idea guys like Luck and OBJ weren't even playing week 1!  Hence, my picks were complete shit. :-D

That's no excuse, though... I have to be better.

32 minutes ago, Bodom said:

Mostly a crapshoot.  Although my interest in the NFL this year, outside of the Patriots, is at an all-time low.  I even ditched fantasy for the first time in 13 years.  I had no idea guys like Luck and OBJ weren't even playing week 1!  Hence, my picks were complete shit. :-D

That's no excuse, though... I have to be better.

Same here

15 minutes ago, Bolt said:

What the crap is going on here !?

I think I'll pick Saint...

(not fully committed, yet.)

By the way, bruddog is 8-5 too, methinks

Ya but you guys are picking straight up right? No spread?