Tecmo Super Bowl can't be realistic

Sorry everybody. I've done my research. It's simply not possible for Tecmo Super Bowl to play like real life. I know it. It's not possible for Bo Jackson to run at his 4.24 40 yard dash time. The fastest he can do at a 94 RS, 94 RP, 94 MS is 4.86ish give or take a hundredth of a second. Defenses is a different story, You can be faster than shit on defense. Deion can hit his supposedly 4.28 40 yard dash time and surpass it. With 94's in all run stats he hits 40 yds at 3.72ish give or take a hundreth. So what does this mean? Some could find every TSB players 40 yard dash times, add .6 of second to them to get an accurate balance from Bo's time to everybody else's in comparison, and there you have it. An exact simulation of every TSB players speeds on the field. Sure would make playing defense a bitch, but it would at least be accurate. You get past the line of scrimmage and your gone.

Edited by thegamer1185

The speed tables can be adjusted...I made a rom with realistic speeds. I think I adjusted Passing speeds as well to be realistic. As the top passing speed is about 3x as fast as the fastest player.

A lot of things could help runners not housing one often. 

1. Better chase (think snes chasing)  

2. Lineman not being able to hold blocks once the runner goes past them 

3. Just more varied blocking in general or at least where calling a run defense actually defends well against another run

4. Realistic tackling where the defense wins most of the tackles. 

TSB_realistic_speedtest.nes 

This doesn't have any of the above implemented so its pretty easy to avoid the cpu. 

I think the simplest way to achieve what you mention bruddog is to adjust all other players stats around the fastest players stats, in this case Bo. I would be more than happy to attempt this feet of finding what everybody's 40 yard dash times are and then implementing them into some of the newer TSB released games. Some of those features are fantastic and do make the games more realistic. Without adjusting the actual coding to speed up the game, I would simply leave Bo at a 94 for all stats, and then start to adjust the next fast from there to get their accurate speeds. I'm not a coder like you so I'm using the simplest form for me, haha.

Does changing the physics of Tecmo Super Bowl change the name of the game?  In other words, does changing the physics to be more "realistic" in turn make it a different game.

BTW, 40 yard dash times are recorded without pads so this would also be an inaccurate metric for speed measurement on a football field.

I think so yes. I'm just curious I guess. Trying to add the nostalgia of what is Tecmo to real life physics....hahaha, if that's even possible. I realize the 40 yard's are non padded also. Just think it would be cool to have one TSB ROM that was as dead to real life simulation. I even thought of something for fumbles as well. The MS and HP of the defender would affect the % of fumbling. Think of Fulcher. HIs 69 MS with his 75 HP up against Okoye's 94 HP and 50 BC. If you run into someone at full speed, it could not only increase the chance of a fumble but possibly even forgo the grapple and just immediately pancake the runner like it does a CPU WR. Or vice versa, if Fulcher somehow glitched and was slowed and you as the RB ran into him it pancaked him.  I realize this is all crazy talk but it would be awesome. Not even sure how crazy it really is since Brud has already found a way to alter the Quickness to affect incompletions or alter the offensive players speed code. If any of this was within the realm of possible, I'd be all for doing as much research on every single player in the game to get everything just right for it. It would be sweet! Obviously, this sort of stuff excites me, haha.

48 minutes ago, Knobbe said:

Does changing the physics of Tecmo Super Bowl change the name of the game?  In other words, does changing the physics to be more "realistic" in turn make it a different game.

BTW, 40 yard dash times are recorded without pads so this would also be an inaccurate metric for speed measurement on a football field.

I also thought of using the RS to boost really quick players. Barry Sanders would be a 94 since he could shift like nobodies business. The less shifty the lower the RS. However, that then goes against my having their actual speeds accurate. What do you do. I'd prefer the real speed versus quickness.

Ya there are number of things that could be done...would it be a fun game anymore? Hard to say.  There are a number of problems as far as realism. Some of these impact the game more than others. 

BLOCKING

1. Pass Blocking last way too long  (on 99% of nfl pass plays you have less then 5 seconds to throw...the 50% mark is like 3 seconds)

2. Blocking is also woefully unrealistic as

-blockers can block/a guy in the back 

-pass rusher should have more of an ability to speed rush and thus #1

- blocker essentially hold on run blocking as they hold their blocks WELL beyond when the runner passes them (makes QB scrambling easier too) 

TACKLING

3. Tackling (players by and large make tackles in the NFL I have the percentage somewhere but tapping makes the strategy all wrecked). So you'd need defense weighted tackling by HP. Tapping should have minimal impact 

4. Drones need to be able to take down man players...this helps a lot with QB scrambles (especially with realistic speeds)

PURSUIT

5. Better chasing (the zig zagging is pretty bad and the delay time can be adjusted). You'd definitely need this if you made speeds real as QB's would be insanely fast 

MOVEMENT

6. Man players currently lose zero speed when making 45 degree cuts...that could be fixed

7. Speed has been mentioned above

8. Players should really move MUCH slower in the y direction as  the field perspective is all jacked. The width of the field is WAY too small. It's only 20 yards wide instead 

of 53

DEFENSE

9. Run defenses really don't help as much as the should vs a non picked play  because of tapping/blocking/pursuit mentioned above. 

PASSING

10 100 yd passes....yes we love them but I'd put it on the list

11. Slow interception returns 

12. INT% not consistent with depth of pass. Why throw a 5 yd pass when you can throw a 100 yard one with the same risk. LOL  

8 hours ago, joelcsuh said:

Knobbe beat me to it with the pads comment. But defensive players also aren't in pads. The big difference I see is that a player can't run as fast while holding a football, can he?

a running back can.

I thought this thread was a joke when I read the topic.  Of course it's not realistic, it's an arcade football game from the 1980's (with some realistic qualities) :-D

What Bruddog said rings true, hacking to make it overly realistic would take the fun away.