davefmurray

The Road To Tecmo Madison

theRoadtoTecmoMadison.png

We are working on some new, awesome extensions for Tecmo and Tecmo Madison. We are going to start a tournament series, including qualifiers and a last chance event, that leads up and builds to Tecmo Madison -- The Road To Tecmo Madison.

Overall, there will be 5 tournaments - 3 qualifiers that will be coined "Majors", 1 Last Chance event and the main event, Tecmo Madison.

Each of the majors will contribute to a new point and seeding system for Tecmo tournaments. Players who finish in the top 4 of each major will get a guaranteed Top 6 region seed at Madison. Major winners will get an even better seeding, with preferred placement into regions.

The points system will also be assigned to all tournaments that adhere to a few standard rules and formats. Those are: They must use the basic rules from Tecmo Madison (http://tecmomadison.com/rules), they must have more than 24 people, they must submit the scores to TecmoMadison.com using the proper format, and the final portion of the tournament must be a seeded bracket, single or double elimination, utilizing standard Madison matchup selection. We have the right to approve non-standard formats at our discretion.

The points system is as follows:

1st  25
2nd  18
3rd  15
4th  12
5th  10
6th  8
7th  6
8th  4
9th  2
10th  1

Players: We will keep track of your points and they will be posted on your TecmoMadison.com profile as we build them out. More on this later.

Good luck and Godspeed during this Tecmo Bowl season.

View full article

Here are your 2017-18 majors!

Tundra Bowl V - Green Bay, WI - 01/27/18 - @RetroNathan

CT Tecmo XI - Southington, CT - 12/02/17 - @arncoem

Tomczak Bowl X - Dubuque, IA - 02/24/18 - @Beef Juice

11 minutes ago, joeygats said:

I think a requirement if your a major has to be a live stream or upload after the event to you tube or twitch

If someone wants to do it at Tomczak they're more than welcome to.

1 hour ago, Beef Juice said:

If someone wants to do it at Tomczak they're more than welcome to.

Dam thats not gonna be streamed? I should be there so won't affect me as much but sucks for those that cant be

15 minutes ago, joeygats said:

Dam thats not gonna be streamed? I should be there so won't affect me as much but sucks for those that cant be

I'm not saying it won't, just that I don't plan on doing it myself. If anyone that has the equipment and know-how to do it is more than welcome to. 

4 hours ago, Beef Juice said:

I'm not saying it won't, just that I don't plan on doing it myself. If anyone that has the equipment and know-how to do it is more than welcome to. 

ok cool i hope someone does

9 minutes ago, noonan said:

Did someone call for someone that has stream equipment?

Beef Juice, if your venue has greater than 1MB upload speed internet... I can do it.

Cool I'll keep you posted on what I find out.

On 11/17/2017 at 1:52 PM, joeygats said:

I think a requirement if your a major has to be a live stream or upload after the event to you tube or twitch

Already got too many requirements IMO. Plus it's a lot of work running an event.  Having someone else taking care of video will make it run better.

On a related note for streaming you might want to see if anyone can bring a mobile hotspot.  If I still had one I would bring it to let you stream off it.

21 hours ago, mort1237 said:

Already got too many requirements IMO. Plus it's a lot of work running an event.  Having someone else taking care of video will make it run better.

On a related note for streaming you might want to see if anyone can bring a mobile hotspot.  If I still had one I would bring it to let you stream off it.

Just curious why you think there are too many? Is there something specific?

• Have 24 players
  • Use basic rules
  • Submit your scores
  • Have a seeded playoff

These cover a significant amount (90%+?) of all tournaments posted here.

Now I got no objection to the submitting results part.  It's too much speculation and work for you to seed Madison on just partial results.

As for the other requirements I can come up with several various good reasons on why you should lower or remove the requirement.

All those reason come back to having different formats are a lot of fun.  For example I'm hoping this year Det goes back to random triple elimination.  

Also a few events with 20 or 16 or even 12 can be challenging and rewarding for those playing in it.  Also a few places have trouble raising 24 people yet still have good tourney's.

Basic rules are used pretty uniformly used.  But these days to make it more I interesting I would have fun playing with some different rules in a small event.  But that's because I go to so many events and it would spice things up.

5 hours ago, mort1237 said:

As for the other requirements I can come up with several various good reasons on why you should lower or remove the requirement.

All those reason come back to having different formats are a lot of fun.  For example I'm hoping this year Det goes back to random triple elimination.  

Also a few events with 20 or 16 or even 12 can be challenging and rewarding for those playing in it.  Also a few places have trouble raising 24 people yet still have good tourney's.

Basic rules are used pretty uniformly used.  But these days to make it more I interesting I would have fun playing with some different rules in a small event.  But that's because I go to so many events and it would spice things up.

I completely understand all your reasons, but for seeding a world championship you cannot have random seeds and random rules influencing an outcome. It artificially inflates or deflates for no reason other than randomness. I am all for changing things up, but not when it comes to seeding a ~300 person tournament.

👊

4 hours ago, davefmurray said:

I completely understand all your reasons, but for seeding a world championship you cannot have random seeds and random rules influencing an outcome. It artificially inflates or deflates for no reason other than randomness. I am all for changing things up, but not when it comes to seeding a ~300 person tournament.

👊

So.just the 5 tournies mentioned above are used for.points? Not any ones besides Dallas from the.past? 

On 8/19/2017 at 12:01 PM, davefmurray said:

The points system will also be assigned to all tournaments that adhere to a few standard rules and formats. Those are: They must use the basic rules from Tecmo Madison (http://tecmomadison.com/rules), they must have more than 24 people, they must submit the scores to TecmoMadison.com using the proper format, and the final portion of the tournament must be a seeded bracket, single or double elimination, utilizing standard Madison matchup selection.

10 hours ago, red98sethuthut said:

So.just the 5 tournies mentioned above are used for.points? Not any ones besides Dallas from the.past? 

No, see the above quote. It started with Tecmo Dallas.

17 hours ago, davefmurray said:

👊

The problem with this is not everyone goes to 7 or 12 events like I do.  Most people play in 1 to 3 events.  So you might be ignoring a great performance for a lot of good players because you don't feel that event counts for anything. 

So that one or two random events might be all the information you have on a player who played well.  For example shallebey's performance at the equalizer comes to mind.

I think you should keep this road to Tecmo Madison separate from how you decide seeding for Madison.  Or just be willing to look at other events since the last tecmo Madison for players that don't play in your official road to Madison events.  

As you said it's a huge event and you want to do it right.   I mean it would be nice if everyone played at least once or twice in the upcoming events.  Then what your saying would make a lot of sense.  But considering how little a lot of good players can make events I think you should dig a little deeper.

3 hours ago, mort1237 said:

The problem with this is not everyone goes to 7 or 12 events like I do.  Most people play in 1 to 3 events.  So you might be ignoring a great performance for a lot of good players because you don't feel that event counts for anything. 

So that one or two random events might be all the information you have on a player who played well.  For example shallebey's performance at the equalizer comes to mind.

I think you should keep this road to Tecmo Madison separate from how you decide seeding for Madison.  Or just be willing to look at other events since the last tecmo Madison for players that don't play in your official road to Madison events.  

As you said it's a huge event and you want to do it right.   I mean it would be nice if everyone played at least once or twice in the upcoming events.  Then what your saying would make a lot of sense.  But considering how little a lot of good players can make events I think you should dig a little deeper.

This isn't how we seed events as a whole. Not even close. @qb_browns spends 4-6 weeks out of his life seeding this tournament every year. This helps the process by playing against known players in a predictable format.

1 hour ago, davefmurray said:

This isn't how we seed events as a whole. Not even close. @qb_browns spends 4-6 weeks out of his life seeding this tournament every year. This helps the process by playing against known players in a predictable format.

Thanks for the clarification.  I think the road to Madison is a fine ideal.  I just think it will need a year or two to really catch on.

On 11/25/2017 at 1:47 PM, davefmurray said:

That 4-6 weeks is an understatement :) 

On 11/25/2017 at 10:03 AM, mort1237 said:

But considering how little a lot of good players can make events I think you should dig a little deeper.

Two points here which applies to everyone who considers coming to Madison:

#1 The idea that we don't dig deeper on players just isn't true. We take the available information and decide what information is applicable to that player and the tournament generally, which leads us to point #2

#2 The Equalizer as a tournament had an interesting format with several stated goals that Tom potentially met (he would be the best judge of that). The player referred to above started in a group with 3 other players who are bottom seeds in groups at Madison, I do not know what his record was there because...he was able to take Flo's place because flo left early. This adds another layer of complexity to analyzing this particular player's tournament experience and play. 

The Road to Madison serves two very different yet equally important purposes:

First, it gives some added juice to some tournaments who already stand on their own and maybe exposes some of their players to the possibility of heading to Madison for a first time - those players then have a knowable record of games against known competition in a standard setting. 

Second, it actually simplifies the seeding at the middle tier of players by giving those players common games against like opponents. I can compare two players who happened to have played two or more of mort, Reg, Gats, Flo, Lou, the gamer, noonan, etc instead of having to guess at potential results. Those 4-6 weeks are intense and involve many spreadsheets, many hours just sitting and thinking about players, and trying my best to keep the tournament interesting and fair (and to screw over @Rod Woodson somehow), this allows me to reduce that time just a little bit. 

And if no one goes to these tournaments other than the regular players, no biggie, I've had to seed tournaments on less information and Madison has plenty of historical information to give me a good start. 

On 11/27/2017 at 12:06 AM, qb_browns said:

That 4-6 weeks is an understatement :) 

Two points here which applies to everyone who considers coming to Madison:

#1 The idea that we don't dig deeper on players just isn't true. We take the available information and decide what information is applicable to that player and the tournament generally, which leads us to point #2

#2 The Equalizer as a tournament had an interesting format with several stated goals that Tom potentially met (he would be the best judge of that). The player referred to above started in a group with 3 other players who are bottom seeds in groups at Madison, I do not know what his record was there because...he was able to take Flo's place because flo left early. This adds another layer of complexity to analyzing this particular player's tournament experience and play. 

The Road to Madison serves two very different yet equally important purposes:

First, it gives some added juice to some tournaments who already stand on their own and maybe exposes some of their players to the possibility of heading to Madison for a first time - those players then have a knowable record of games against known competition in a standard setting. 

Second, it actually simplifies the seeding at the middle tier of players by giving those players common games against like opponents. I can compare two players who happened to have played two or more of mort, Reg, Gats, Flo, Lou, the gamer, noonan, etc instead of having to guess at potential results. Those 4-6 weeks are intense and involve many spreadsheets, many hours just sitting and thinking about players, and trying my best to keep the tournament interesting and fair (and to screw over @Rod Woodson somehow), this allows me to reduce that time just a little bit. 

And if no one goes to these tournaments other than the regular players, no biggie, I've had to seed tournaments on less information and Madison has plenty of historical information to give me a good start. 

I always figured you digged deep.  That's pretty impressive to get an example of what you do.  I just had gotten the wrong ideal earlier in this conversation.  

So I'm confused about something. Do you automatically designate tournaments as Road to Madison based on past tournaments or on the qualifications? Because what happens if you designate a tournament as a Road to Madison tournament and they only have 16 players? Does it still qualify? Just asking because I noticed Tomczak Bowl is a qualifier this year, but last year he only had 18 players I believe...therefore not making it a qualifier. I'm not dogging BeefJuice or his tourney either, heys a great dude and I'm going to his tournament every year since it's pretty close. But it was a scenario last year where it didn't meet the specifics your requiring. Along with that, the Iowa Tecmo tournament in Des Moines was not specified as a major but we had over 24 people and a hell of tournament field for only our second year. Im pretty sure your including it into your rankings, just trying to bring to your attention making certain tournaments Majors (I do realize most of them are some of the longer lasting tournaments or typically have a lot of people every year) but if by chance they don't have over 24 people, do you still then enter their tournament information? The Lincoln tournament usually has over 24 people most years but most of them are just local players who don't travel so the field isn't necessarily loaded. Those tournaments should be included in your results IMO, but they aren't necessarily packed with big names or tournament travelers. Not criticizing anything your doing, just trying to understand the specifics a little better on what could happen in these types of scenarios.

Last year was a terrible turnout. It was the lowest we had in five years. I blame most of it to the poor time of year we had it and the weather which caused at least five players to drop out at the last minute. 

Tomczak Bowl drew over 40 people before and being designated a Madison Major will help turnout along with the date change. If I didn't anticipate at least 24 people I wouldn't waste Dave's time with being part of the Road to Madison.

1 hour ago, thegamer1185 said:

So I'm confused about something. Do you automatically designate tournaments as Road to Madison based on past tournaments or on the qualifications? Because what happens if you designate a tournament as a Road to Madison tournament and they only have 16 players? Does it still qualify? Just asking because I noticed Tomczak Bowl is a qualifier this year, but last year he only had 18 players I believe...therefore not making it a qualifier. I'm not dogging BeefJuice or his tourney either, heys a great dude and I'm going to his tournament every year since it's pretty close. But it was a scenario last year where it didn't meet the specifics your requiring. Along with that, the Iowa Tecmo tournament in Des Moines was not specified as a major but we had over 24 people and a hell of tournament field for only our second year. Im pretty sure your including it into your rankings, just trying to bring to your attention making certain tournaments Majors (I do realize most of them are some of the longer lasting tournaments or typically have a lot of people every year) but if by chance they don't have over 24 people, do you still then enter their tournament information? The Lincoln tournament usually has over 24 people most years but most of them are just local players who don't travel so the field isn't necessarily loaded. Those tournaments should be included in your results IMO, but they aren't necessarily packed with big names or tournament travelers. Not criticizing anything your doing, just trying to understand the specifics a little better on what could happen in these types of scenarios.

Any tournament can be a part of The Road To Madison provided they meet the basic criteria. The Road To Madison is a points system used to help seed Tecmo Madison. If you meet the above criteria, your tournament players will be assigned points that count towards Tecmo Madison's World Championship. I rearranged some above posts to highlight a few things.

There is a lot of criteria for choosing our major qualifying tournaments. Longevity, the strength of the field, relationships, calendar timing, staff running it, etc, etc. Tecmo Madison staff spent a number of months laying out this map.

When you say "enter their tournament information", are you referring to having the results posted on TecmoMadison.com? If so, that has nothing to with any of this. 

Below is how any tournament can be apart of this. 

On 8/19/2017 at 12:01 PM, davefmurray said:

The points system will also be assigned to all tournaments that adhere to a few standard rules and formats. Those are: They must use the basic rules from Tecmo Madison (http://tecmomadison.com/rules), they must have more than 24 people, they must submit the scores to TecmoMadison.com using the proper format, and the final portion of the tournament must be a seeded bracket, single or double elimination, utilizing standard Madison matchup selection. We have the right to approve non-standard formats at our discretion.

I hear ya Beefjuice. I wasn't insinuating your tournament shouldn't be a major. It just happened to be one of those tournaments as you mentioned that just had a lot of random things occur to not be what it could have been or had been in the years. That's all I was referring to I guess. Speaking of entering tournament data, is there a "master database" for all tournaments that could be entered? No criteria, no rules matter. If you played in a tournament and the tournament organizer sends in the information, it gets recorded. That would be awesome. You would have to take it with a grain of salt since I'm sure there would be many small tournaments being entered, etc. But you would get an accurate picture of a player and their tournament wins-losses as well as how often they attend tournaments. I think Gats and Mort are traveling all over this year attending many tournaments. It would cool to see how many tournaments and games they actually play in a year.