Tournament Abundance

Tecmo Tournament abundance  

40 members have voted

1. 1. I just saw how many Tecmo tournaments there have been and that are upcoming and post this for the pure betterment of Tecmo. My question is do you think this is good for Tecmo, or does it water down participation at what could be denser fields with fewer tournaments?

• Good for Tecmo
    • Waters down participation

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, mort1237 said:

It would be nice to have no tournament overlapping in 2019.  That's the year I plan to play in every tecmo tourney.   Or a bare minimum.

Somebody get an Alaska Tourney in the works.  @red98sethuthut get ready for a 60 drive with your bro.  https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Chicago,+Illinois/Anchorage,+Alaska/@46.5107513,-153.3248885,3z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x880e2c3cd0f4cbed:0xafe0a6ad09c0c000!2m2!1d-87.6297982!2d41.8781136!1m5!1m1!1s0x56c8917604b33f41:0x257dba5aa78468e3!2m2!1d-149.9002778!2d61.2180556!3e0

55 minutes ago, mort1237 said:

It would be nice to have no tournament overlapping in 2019.  That's the year I plan to play in every tecmo tourney.   Or a bare minimum.

Unfortunately it won't always work out. We've been going strong for 15 years so for us to change now would not be in the best interest for my tournament, and the people who attend. For people starting new tournaments they have the option of moving around dates. When you have an established tournament you shoot for the same time frame that works best for the people in your area. Unfortunately my tournament and the tundra bowl will always be targeted around the same date. As much as I'd love to work out a compromise, pro bowl weekend is the day that works best for my people. My goal is not to steal anyone away from the tundra bowl, but give people other options if that location is to far away.

18 hours ago, T.Mann said:

Unfortunately it won't always work out. We've been going strong for 15 years so for us to change now would not be in the best interest for my tournament, and the people who attend. For people starting new tournaments they have the option of moving around dates. When you have an established tournament you shoot for the same time frame that works best for the people in your area. Unfortunately my tournament and the tundra bowl will always be targeted around the same date. As much as I'd love to work out a compromise, pro bowl weekend is the day that works best for my people. My goal is not to steal anyone away from the tundra bowl, but give people other options if that location is to far away.

That's why I said a minimum.  I know that some dates are set for a reason.  And some dates work better than other dates.  For example in Buffalo we had a great date at the last week of April or first of May.

Now tecmo Madison is to close and it's not easy finding a new date.  It makes you appreciate it when you have a date that works year in and year out for the usual participants at your event.

21 hours ago, mort1237 said:

I'm having a tournament every weekend in 2019. You can stay with @moulds33

• 3 weeks later...

I think I'm a little late to the party in commenting but here goes.

I live in Louisiana so for me to play top tier talent I have to travel, most times great distances. So I think placement of tournaments geographically does matter. I ran 3 tournaments in my home town and had a max of 18 participants but no less than 12. At my tournaments everyone had a chance to win something because I had built onto the tournament format a consolation bracket for the less talented players. So if you didn't win your group you would be seeded in the consolation bracket which didn't offer a cash prize but had trophies for 1st and 2nd place while the more "elite" players played for cash along with trophies. I did it this way knowing that new/inexperienced players would be turned off by getting beat badly by the better players. The consolation bracket allowed them to compete with players on a similar level and they'll get some enjoyment of having a chance to win along with experience and possibly return. It was a success and to be honest those consolation games were extremely exciting, maybe even more so than the "elite" bracket games.  So i think consolation bracket could be huge in increasing the anount of players wjo attend. I know it was a bit off the original subject, but just felt like I needed to mention that. I know Dave has gotten interest in a consolation bracket at Madison, I will help run a side/consolation bracket if I am able to attend Madison next spring.

We were fortunate enough that @davefmurray brought Tecmo Dallas this past August which included @regulator088 @joeygats @Ones11fahzu @ImFlo among others which made it, at least in my mind, a premiere event. 

Lastly, the dates of tournaments do matter for me since the long distances I have to travel. I would love to attend Tundra Bowl but it's date is the same as Tecmo Texas which is much closer. The tournament that end up being within a few weeks of each other is a challenge for me as well. I can't attend multiple tournament within a month or 2, it's just not logistically possible for me not to mention the cost to travel. There are tournaments i still plan to attend eventually such as Tundra Bowl, Tomzcak Bowl, Tecmo Lincoln to name a few but I'm just not sure when. My only hope is that the organisers of those tournaments continue to put them on so i can have a chance at attending.

Edited by suicideking81

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2017 at 7:29 PM, davefmurray said:

60hrs of COA mode driving!

Lol i figured i'd give Mort a hand driving. I got bombed after my cousin's wedding. Fucking Vitamin R and Dennys at 4am was a bad idea. Shoulda went to bed early like mort did. Played all my seattle tecmo games from the Toilet next day

Edited by red98sethuthut

This is a hard question. Its a double edge sword more tournaments means more exposure. I think the key to this situation has already happen, Having Madison Majors puts up that boundary. Its getting to the point that the small tournaments feed the Majors. If all we had was the Madison Major tournament the Tecmo Numbers and Madison number would decline. I think we kinda need those little tournaments. An average or newer player may have some success at a smaller venue and then feed into the bigger ones. Without the little guys not sure we keep getting bigger and bigger numbers. 

• 3 weeks later...

A lot has already been said on the subject.  Despite all the reactions and opinions, not every tournament organizer out there is going to fall in line with hopes of avoiding the dates of other events.  I think it's ultimately up to the individual organizers out there to communicate with other regional organizers, and see if they are agreeable to a compromise on timing of events.

War Machine contacted me before Thunderdome as I was looking to do another online tournament in the fall, and after talking with him, it made sense to hold off, so that's exactly what I did.  His communication was perfect, and an example of thoughtful and effective negotiation of the issue.

Ultimately, it's up to each organizer to decide how they want to do things.  Hopefully folks stay diplomatic along the way.