Tournament Abundance

Tecmo Tournament abundance  

40 members have voted

1. 1. I just saw how many Tecmo tournaments there have been and that are upcoming and post this for the pure betterment of Tecmo. My question is do you think this is good for Tecmo, or does it water down participation at what could be denser fields with fewer tournaments?

• Good for Tecmo
    • Waters down participation

On 8/17/2017 at 9:24 AM, Knobbe said:

I don't see this as something that needs to be a binary issue.

It totally isn't a binary issue. The tournament scene is a spectrum of tournament styles, sizes, and purposes. 

But if anyone were to peruse the live tournament forums they would see a fairly common refrain: 

"Tournament X was an awesome time! Person A ran a great tournament! The quality of play at the tournament was good even though Insert Number Less than 32 people showed up. Everyone should come to this next year!"

And below that reads people agreeing along with a player or two saying:

"I would have loved to make it, but the date wasn't right/I was going to Person Z's tournament the next weekend/the date moved/I didn't see an update for two months so I made other plans/etc." 

Reg is right in that a discussion should happen to organize the tournament structure somehow so that the good players who have the time and want to travel to tournaments can, while tournaments that want to grow can, while tournaments that cater to noobs to grow their regional game can, while the one off tournaments can exist, while the big tournaments aren't interfering with the rest of this world. And that's the point of the forum, but maybe some unwritten rule or at least the some courtesies can be acknowledged or something. 

lots of great ideas and comments already in this thread, that I could only echo.  abundance = good.  conflicting dates = bad.

to me, it seems like Madison has established itself, for now, as THEE place to showcase yourself and get true "bragging rights".  

all these other tournaments, are what they are.  they are GOOD.  period.  sometimes there is "weak" competition, and sometimes the force is strong.

but, any person who wins just about any tournament has a right to feel good about himself and bow humbly before the tecmo gods.

TSB has random numbers and luck and bullshit, unlike chess.  so, you can water down chess competition, but you can't really water down TSB...TSB waters its competition down by default, sometimes.  right?

so, keep up the tournaments, keep up the hype, but try to not conflict the weekends!

Edited by buck

On 8/16/2017 at 7:49 PM, trojan1979 said:

.  While it does help to avoid other overlapping tournaments in your area, you'd be surprised how many people still break out this game with buddies, and have no idea this site or community even exists, or that there is a serious tournament in their state.  More exposure increases the likelihood they get connected to us.

Agree with this statement.  Facebook and twitter are littered with posts after Tecmo Cle/Tecmo Madison/etc with people who had no idea these events occur.    

On 8/16/2017 at 8:49 PM, trojan1979 said:

you'd be surprised how many people still break out this game with buddies, and have no idea this site or community even exists, or that there is a serious tournament in their state.  More exposure increases the likelihood they get connected to us.

2 hours ago, Tecmo-Mad-Brad said:

Agree with this statement.  Facebook and twitter are littered with posts after Tecmo Cle/Tecmo Madison/etc with people who had no idea these events occur.    

Yes, people don't know about tournaments but people also don't know about a lot of things. This thread has evolved to getting noobs involved and while that is an important thing to discuss, it is not what Reg's intentions were.

I am glad you brought Facebook up because that is definitely an interesting part of this discussion. The biggest vehicle we have to Tecmo promotion is my Facebook page. Since Tundra Bowl is a Madison qualifier, I help promote through FB, email lists, etc. One post for the Tundra Bowl FB event and we reached 6,100 people in Wisconsin within 18hrs. The potential is there with the community organizing.

Our actual problem is cohesion, unity, etc. Look at it from my perspective (Not Madison's). There are 3 tournaments on XYZ day/weekend/month. I can't properly promote all of them. (Yes, I understand not all people want to actually grow their tournaments.)

Say I send people to TecmoBowl.org to "check out all these tournaments" we have going on. There are very few to no active mods. Who is going to greet them? Help them?

Say I send them to Discord. Same thing. No active mods. I literally had to setup a welcome bot to give a fake greeting because prior to that they would go completely unnoticed. As an example, 7 new people have joined Discord in the last few days. No one welcomed any of them. No one recognized their presence.

Judging by this thread, everyone wants this great endgame, but, in reality, very few actually want to help do the work. I'm trying my best here but I am spread pretty dang thin with Tecmo. I could use some help.

P.S. For the love of all things, when a new player does get engaged, stop the freaking sarcasm, shit talking, writing "lol" when they say something. They don't know you. They don't get your tone. There is a reason so many of them don't come back.

5 hours ago, davefmurray said:

Say I send them to Discord. Same thing. No active mods. I literally had to setup a welcome bot to give a fake greeting because prior to that they would go completely unnoticed. As an example, 7 new people have joined Discord in the last few days. No one welcomed any of them. No one recognized their presence.

Judging by this thread, everyone wants this great endgame, but, in reality, very few actually want to help do the work. I'm trying my best here but I am spread pretty dang thin with Tecmo. I could use some help.

P.S. For the love of all things, when a new player does get engaged, stop the freaking sarcasm, shit talking, writing "lol" when they say something. They don't know you. They don't get your tone. There is a reason so many of them don't come back.

Just a really minor suggestion. Maybe put player bot announcements on its own channel? Like #new_player_join or something like that. That way they are contained in one channel. I think I missed a number of them TBH. 

22 hours ago, davefmurray said:

This. A million times this. 

My day of tournament routine for Madison involves a bunch of work, but I do get time to walk around the community and chat with a bunch of the players. And the #1 thing new players bitch about isn't getting blown out or losing two games in a row, its that the majority of players they interact with are dicks to them. 

If that gets shut down, then things will improve a bit more with participation from outsiders to the community. 

12 minutes ago, qb_browns said:

My day of tournament routine for Madison involves a bunch of work, but I do get time to walk around the community and chat with a bunch of the players. And the #1 thing new players bitch about isn't getting blown out or losing two games in a row, its that the majority of players they interact with are dicks to them. 

If that gets shut down, then things will improve a bit more with participation from outsiders to the community. 

This happens at Madison too? Oof. I was talking about Discord/T-Borg. Ok, well then, doubly so.

9 hours ago, qb_browns said:

lol.  seriously.  all I ever hear is how cool everybody is and the brotherly tecmo love.  so, maybe you should tell us all how to act? 

besides orenga screaming as loud as he could, 7 or 8 times, at jim everett - I haven't ever really played vs a guy that offended me.  and I have played against some guys that have gotten a little carried away screaming at the game, and that does suck.  

but I am not expecting people to sit and bullshit with me if they don't want to.  does not offend me.

36 minutes ago, buck said:

lol.  seriously.  all I ever hear is how cool everybody is and the brotherly tecmo love.  so, maybe you should tell us all how to act? 

besides orenga screaming as loud as he could, 7 or 8 times, at jim everett - I haven't ever really played vs a guy that offended me.  and I have played against some guys that have gotten a little carried away screaming at the game, and that does suck.  

but I am not expecting people to sit and bullshit with me if they don't want to.  does not offend me.

I'm not trying to turn this into some huge debate, but my first Madison was not the most welcoming experience. If I hadn't run into Odell and Diaz before the bracket I probably wouldn't have met nearly anyone. If these player's beef is that they aren't welcomed in without having to introduce themselves first, I totally get it.

so, what happened to you?  

have you ever seen the trash talking and intimidation at m@dden tournaments?  now that shit is wack.

I mention orenga, and you know, I think that the "posse" is some bullshit right there.  nickle's blowing horns in your ear the whole game!?  you guys wanna talk about somebody being a dick?  I know orenga is a legend and all that, but his posse is just stupid.  I laugh when other people have to deal with it, but I can't imagine that being a fun time for a "noob"...

59 minutes ago, davefmurray said:

I'm not trying to turn this into some huge debate, but my first Madison was not the most welcoming experience. If I hadn't run into Odell and Diaz before the bracket I probably wouldn't have met nearly anyone. If these player's beef is that they aren't welcomed in without having to introduce themselves first, I totally get it.

Edited by buck

46 minutes ago, buck said:

I mention orenga, and you know, I think that the "posse" is some bullshit right there.  nickle's blowing horns in your ear the whole game!?  you guys wanna talk about somebody being a dick?  I know orenga is a legend and all that, but his posse is just stupid.  I laugh when other people have to deal with it, but I can't imagine that being a fun time for a "noob"...

You will be glad to hear that during last year's Sweet 16 I turned off their boombox. Yes, they had a boombox blaring the Mort theme song while standing behind the opponent. That junk was llloouudddd. lol

Madison has been pretty good to me.  I was fortunate to run into Chet and Josh early in Madison Tecmo so I got to know them and they always welcomed me but that was also when tournaments were 50 people.  I think it would have definitely been hard to talk to people this year with and probably would have been a little unwelcoming with how crowded it was.  Plus I think the competition in Madison is pretty extreme especially with only one person coming out of the group there isn't a lot of room for giving advice and be welcoming to opponents.  If there was some way to have the top 64 play in a bracket and then the next 64 play in a consolation bracket that at least gives half the field a good chance to get not only their moneys worth but also experience more of the Tecmo vibe and experience. Plus then you have players staying longer and meeting more people.  I have been fortunate the last couple of year to make it to the bracket of 64, but before it sucked to lose two and have to go home.  You can play some pickup games but it is nice to play for something and have them competitiveness involved.

I really loved running Millard's Mayhem 2 this year.  I know I have said this already but I really got to meet some great players.  New and experienced in an more in depth way.  Also people who walked by were excited to see what was going on.  They wanted in for next year.  I think the small tournaments is the way to bring people to the big stage.  I told some of the newer people about Tundra Bowl because its a little bigger but you still get a good amount of games in and there is a consolation bracket.  

If anyone ever wants to hang out with the Shaban brothers at any tourney be my guest.  We live it up Friday night before the tourneys we do go too and also after the tourneys.  We took a couple of guys under are wings this year and they had a blast.  I think they were a little surprised especially with George.    

This is a great topic!  Maybe at Madison we should invite Art Monk, Gary Clark, and Rickey Sanders they are the original fun bunch.  

1 hour ago, SammieSmith33 said:

I think it would have definitely been hard to talk to people this year with and probably would have been a little unwelcoming with how crowded it was.  

Hey, man. We gave you enough room to consume oxygen. That is more than enough. ?

That stinks some people didn't feel welcomed at Madison.  I have not had that experience and thought Tecmo might have the lowest douche bag ratio in the world.  I could see this happening though if somene comes in Saturday right before kickoff, lots of tecmo butterflies could be interpreted as people being jerkstores.   I think going to the Friday night before helps a ton.  People are a little more laid back then and ready to mingle.

Don't let Radio Stations run Tecmo tourneys. The 103.3 radio tourney in buffalo takes the fun out of Tecmo with no playbook changes and qualifying vs cpu. As all you know some.plays in tecmo suck. Some plays are just dead but the locals seem to.think it is a glitch or something. So in origibal playbook tourney veteran players really have an advantage. So nobody bothers playing tecmo thinking there's no way to get better. All you gotta do is run good plays. But year after year with no playbook changes tourney people get frustrated. So can never get anyone buffalo to learn how to get better at tecmo. 

Screenshot_20170819-211022.png

Screenshot_20170819-211026.png

17 hours ago, buck said:

I really could care less how anyone acts. In the history of the tournament we've had to kick one guy out for being disruptive and offensive. This past tournament we had a guy leave after one of his games and then didn't come back for at least an hour - we forfeited him because we were already running behind - and he didn't take it well but ultimately I think he understood. 

The larger issue is that guys do come on Friday to see what's going on, feel nervous, and if they're lucky run into someone who is accommodating. This past tournament two guys came up to me as I was setting up, introduced themselves, and we talked for a bit. One of them was in bruddog's group and was terrified of playing/meeting him. I sent him over because bruddog is a nice guy. That was a good story, some of the other ones are not the best. And absolutely nobody complains about Orenga - the complaints probably are about other noobs or guys who are at their first or second tournament and have the Tecmo juices going. Those same guys could have showed up, not introduced themselves to one of the "staff," been overwhelmed by the goings on, and felt un-accommodated. There isn't anything I or anyone else on staff can do about those guys. 

2 hours ago, segathonsov said:

That stinks some people didn't feel welcomed at Madison.  I have not had that experience and thought Tecmo might have the lowest douche bag ratio in the world.  I could see this happening though if somene comes in Saturday right before kickoff, lots of tecmo butterflies could be interpreted as people being jerkstores.   I think going to the Friday night before helps a ton.  People are a little more laid back then and ready to mingle.

Coming on Fridays might help, and really, it does depend on who is in your group. Some of the guys can be off-putting obviously unless you get to know them. 

1 hour ago, qb_browns said:

Some of the guys can be off-putting obviously unless you get to know them. 

You can't possibly mean that a bunch of grown men who are largely introverted and still obsessed with an almost 26-year-old video game can be socially awkward? I DON'T BELIEVE YOU!

18 hours ago, buck said:

My buddy was in Orenga's group (as a NOOB) in 2016 and absolutely loved every second of it.

I personally like a lot of tourneys. i do not have anyone within 2 hours of me that can play live on the NES so i am forced to play online. Tourneys give me a good weekend away and a chance to play different players live. I live for them! Also I enjoy blowing out Noob tecmo players.

There has been really good dialogue in this topic. My original intention/thought was that there needs to be better cohesiveness between tournament dates versus less tournaments all together. This seems to be the common sentiment which I am happy to see. Some other thoughts as a Tecmo vet and tournament participator....

I really like an idea Dave implemented in Tecmo Dallas in which myself, Gats, and Ones11fahzu were designated as resources for questions and advice on general Tecmo game play and rules. This should reduce some of the stress to those running tournaments as well as increase the communication between talented/experienced players and new ones. I imagine if tournament directors reach out to known Tecmo players prior to tournaments beginning and ask this favor, there would be positive response (I'm referring to smaller tournaments). I for one enjoy giving advice and would be happy to fill this role at any tournament I attend.

Also, if you look at the amount of votes cast, only 23 people including myself have done so. Our community is huge! Like Dave and Jon said, there are so many of us. Our participation in active topics like this and communication is key to the success of Tecmo. I want to attend more live events, and if tournaments are spread out, this is possible. 

On 8/24/2017 at 10:57 AM, regulator088 said:

I really like an idea Dave implemented in Tecmo Dallas in which myself, Gats, and Ones11fahzu were designated as resources for questions and advice on general Tecmo game play and rules. This should reduce some of the stress to those running tournaments as well as increase the communication between talented/experienced players and new ones. I imagine if tournament directors reach out to known Tecmo players prior to tournaments beginning and ask this favor, there would be positive response (I'm referring to smaller tournaments). I for one enjoy giving advice and would be happy to fill this role at any tournament I attend.

One of the things we've discussed in the past and might have time for this upcoming Tecmo Madison is an 'Ask an Expert' desk. This is stolen straight from Evo - which most people know I adore as a tournament - where they have what was jokingly called Wizard Advice where you could ask a Street Fighter expert some tips on matchup selection. It is almost never used now because the tier lists at the various fighting game specific websites are universal enough, but for years it was at least a resource for the noob at a tournament with a few thousand competitors. Essentially, a noob could page the front desk and someone could come over to render advice if necessary. 

I doubt it would be used much, but having it there would assist some of the newer players in difficult decisions. 

On 8/26/2017 at 8:20 PM, qb_browns said:

One of the things we've discussed in the past and might have time for this upcoming Tecmo Madison is an 'Ask an Expert' desk. This is stolen straight from Evo - which most people know I adore as a tournament - where they have what was jokingly called Wizard Advice where you could ask a Street Fighter expert some tips on matchup selection. It is almost never used now because the tier lists at the various fighting game specific websites are universal enough, but for years it was at least a resource for the noob at a tournament with a few thousand competitors. Essentially, a noob could page the front desk and someone could come over to render advice if necessary. 

I doubt it would be used much, but having it there would assist some of the newer players in difficult decisions. 

I tend to offer up advice to any new people in my group. If a little advice can improve their experience and make them want to return I'm all for it.

5 hours ago, Beef Juice said:

I tend to offer up advice to any new people in my group. If a little advice can improve their experience and make them want to return I'm all for it.

I tend to act like I have no idea what the heck I'm doing and listen to them brag.  It makes them feel really good about themselves, for a little while. Then the game starts.