(NES) SBlueman's Tecmo Super Bowl 2017

SBlueman

SBlueman's Tecmo Super Bowl 2017

Download and enjoy my first official release since 2006! Special thanks to everyone who has contributed in keeping this community of Tecmo fans together. The progress that has been made since I last released an edit is amazing. This release would not have been possible if it wasn't for the countless hours and sweat equity that has been put into finding new and amazing ways to alter the best sports video game ever. This site is a treasure trove of notes, codes, and information. Hopefully it might get people who haven't tried editing to give it a shot because they would want to tweak something. We can always use different opinions, tastes and ideas on improving the game around here. Feel free to edit this game if you want, I intentionally went out of my way to make sure all the hacks that were installed would not interfere with people being able to edit it with TSBTool.

0FjNkM0.png

Updated 3/10/18!

5 Versions Posted:

Vanilla - minimal hacks added:

• More NFL-like QB Ratings
  • Player 2 Condition Fix
  • Prevent Schedule From Being Random
  • Randomize Sound Loop Used For Each Play
  • QB Backpedal Animation Hack
  • Change Touchback to 25-Yard Line
  • 15 Yard XP

Hardtype - Hacks included:

• Find open receiver
  • PA/PC hack - PC is INT and PA is target
  • QB throws ball instead of taking sack and runs less
  • COM Dive Tackling like SNES TSB I 
  • Better COM punt timing
  • Changing KR Speed
  • Directional punts
  • FG avoid kick block fix
  • Increase CPU kickoff length
  • Kickoff Wedge Return
  • Onside kick hack better recovery rate for P2
  • PR speed change from SS to actual PR player
  • Add stats after quarters
  • Changing the differential for popcorning/ dl busting through
  • Passing game probability table hack
  • QB backpedal animation hack
  • Better INT Returns
  • Timing of Snap Exchange Between C & QB
  • Diving time based on HP
  • Main Menu Background Color Change XX's
  • Schedule Background Color Change XX
  • Playoff Bracket Fixed
  • Buck's TSB COM Juice Setter
  • Push/Pull Hack

Hardtype - with No Flicker

The 3rd version has all the hacks above installed and the No Sprite Flicker hack included.

Hardtype - with P2 As Road Team 

Hardtype version with the Road Team Plays As Player 2 modification added

Hardtype - with P2 As Road Team, No Flicker

Hardtype version with both the Road Team Plays As Player 2 and No Flicker modification added.

Details:

Base Rom: Updated 32-team ROM

Editors Used: TSBTool 1.0.0.3, TSB Playbook Editor Beta03, Lunar IPSTranslhextion, TSB Play Editor, yy-chr, Tecmo Endzone Editor

IPS Patches added to release:

Modifications added to release:

Edited by SBlueman

Just a note that I updated the game files to put up the file I intended to. This file has the team sim codes edited. However, the player sim codes are edited simply by using the auto-update feature in TSB Tool. I uploaded a backup file by error. 

1zochg3.jpg

Glad you are enjoying the edit. i am currently working on some more tweaks and hope to have a final version up before Week 1. The aim was to make a more competitive MAN vs COM version. I added the defensive mojo hack by @buck and it adds another layer to the gameplay. I wish that hack would work with COM vs COM games. I am currently working on the playbooks and tinkering with the defensive reactions to try to improve defensive reactions by the COM. 

10 hours ago, heyuimintojsus said:

In the downloads - when I select download this file, it downloads a hack list. Was it not supposed to be the game?

He isn't actually uploading the ROM. I'll try to fix it.

• Knobbe pinned this topic
  • DFM unpinned this topic

I updated the file this morning after catching a couple errors. I also updated the game's description as well to include more:

Feel free to edit this game if you want, I intentionally went out of my way to make sure all the hacks that were installed would not interfere with people being able to edit it with TSBTool. I was not able to include the push/pull hack because of this.

Some of the changes to the game that are not covered by the hack list below are to the uniforms, playbooks and graphics. Teams playing in the regular season schedule always play home P1 with home uniforms while P2 is the road team with either a white jersey or dark if home team uses a white uniform at home (ex:Dallas). (The NFC West teams of course are the exception and I tried to minimize the clashes). I also edited the playbooks by shuffling some plays around while also adding some new plays. The are more available options for 2TE plays. I also removed motion from some plays to disguise them.

As for the player ratings, I like using the original game's template. What I normally do is give all the All-Pro First team the top rankings and work my way down to the All-Pro second team, then use the same system going thru players who have not been ranked yet but were on the Pro Bowl first and second team with alternates being ranked last. After that I used the rankings listed on Bleacher Report's Top 1000 NFL Players list. After that I went in and tweaked ratings accordingly on anyone not on the list.

I also suggest to anyone who wants to edit the game to use this amazing spreadsheet for sim code editing posted by @jstout. While you are at it read that entire thread, it's Tecmo gold. The results from the spreadsheet gave me a good base to start at and then adjust accordingly.

I will be working on the game throughout the year and will release a final postseason version before the Super Bowl. Here are some screenshots of some of the new plays as well as the Rams helmet with white face masks:

SBlueman-TSB2017.png

SBlueman-TSB2017-1.png

SBlueman-TSB2017.png

SBlueman-TSB2017-0.png

Edited by SBlueman

Glad you are enjoying the game, thanks for the feedback. Plus it's always a bonus when an Oiler/Titans fan is happy. Not too many of us left, Love ya Blue!

My aim was to make a more competitive MAN vs COM experience with this edit. Sounds like that goal has been achieved. Thanks to @gojiphen malor and a suggestion he PMed I am hoping to update the game with the push/pull hack included . I am running an entire season of COM vs COM to make sure there are no glitches and if it all works out I'll be posting an update later today.

Edited by SBlueman

I updated the file to version 1.02 which now includes the awesome push/pull hack by @bruddog. Now if I can only get this setup right we'd have a pretty fun MAN vs COM game.

The latest revision corrects the rating issue for Brees and Brady, have them both down to 13. Thanks for the feedback and by all means keep them coming people. It's been a long while since I released a game so I can only gauge how it came it from your comments.

I've played only a few games but I noticed there seems to be more fumbles than usual. Can this be tested and maybe adjusted might be a bit too high? I'd like to suggest changing the L.A. teams to LAC. and LAR. to be in line with the New York teams. Also can the Cleveland Browns helmet be updated throughout the game? Thank you again!

Thanks again for the input. I updated the game tonight to v1.03. Here's a list of the changes:

• Changed Chargers abbreviation to "LAC."
  • Changed Rams abbreviation to "LAR."
  • Updated Ravens playbook and base offense
  • Added "Decrease fumbles by 30%" ips patch
  • Added "Punt Coverage Boost Cut In Half" ips patch

As for the Browns helmet, what changes are you suggesting?

SBlueman-TSB2017-v1.03.png

SBlueman-TSB2017-v1.03-1.png

Edited by SBlueman

I'd like to see the new Cleveland Browns helmets with the dark brown face masks and the Detroit Lions now have a silver style face mask. Also the Carolina Panthers would be better to use #21 color for pants in both of their uniforms and also the division/conf scenes. They look very close to the raiders as they are showing right now in game.

Select1.png

1. Change Lions face mask from black to silver

2. Change Browns white face mask and black helmet stripe to dark brown

Browns1.png

1. Change Browns face mask from silver to dark brown

Lions1.thumb.png.f9ca9d8a17729030a2f6f6b75d7ad306.png

2. Change outline of logo from black to blue

3. Move blue stripe on helmet down and make top of helmet same color

These are my suggestions and any would be really great to see included in your game edit

Edited by oilertitanfan

• Knobbe pinned this topic
On 9/11/2017 at 12:56 AM, oilertitanfan said:

I'd like to see the new Cleveland Browns helmets with the dark brown face masks and the Detroit Lions now have a silver style face mask. Also the Carolina Panthers would be better to use #21 color for pants in both of their uniforms and also the division/conf scenes. They look very close to the raiders as they are showing right now in game.

Select1.png

2. Change Browns white face mask and black helmet stripe to dark brown

Browns1.png

1. Change Browns face mask from silver to dark brown

Lions1.thumb.png.f9ca9d8a17729030a2f6f6b75d7ad306.png

2. Change outline of logo from black to blue

3. Move blue stripe on helmet down and make top of helmet same color

These are my suggestions and any would be really great to see included in your game edit

Thanks for the feedback! I'll try to work on that this weekend and I'll post an update as soon as I have it setup. I also have to go through and get any conflicts with team uniforms for teams who don't play each other in the regular season.

20 minutes ago, broncofan7 said:

Thank you again for your efforts!

Some feedback:  For some reason, this version seemed "easier" to defeat the computer opponent than the pre-season version that you had made. I still think that your ROM is phenomenal and the most competitive versus a computer opponent that I've come across.

I dialed the COM juice hack back a bit so it wasn't so hard right off the bat. I can edit the hack to have the same level of juice as the preseason version. I will edit that as well and release it along with the edits above.

Updated the file this morning, here are the changes to v1.04:

• Added "Shorter FG's" IPS patch
  • Edited Jaguars uniforms
  • Edited Panthers uniforms
  • Updated Rams depth chart
  • Updated Ravens depth chart
  • Updated Lions depth chart
  • Updated Raiders playbook
  • Set COM juice back to previous levels

I didn't forget about your request @oilertitanfan! I wanted to get out the changes that affected gameplay out first. As some of you know helmet editing is a bear so I'm going to have to brush up on notes to see what I can do about the Lions and Browns helmets. 

As usual, any feedback on the latest update is welcome, enjoy!

Edited by SBlueman

7 hours ago, SBlueman said:

Updated the file this morning, here are the changes to v1.04:

• Added "Shorter FG's" IPS patch
  • Edited Jaguars uniforms
  • Edited Panthers uniforms
  • Updated Rams depth chart
  • Updated Ravens depth chart
  • Updated Lions depth chart
  • Updated Raiders playbook
  • Set COM juice back to previous levels

I didn't forget about your request @oilertitanfan! I wanted to get out the changes that affected gameplay out first. As some of you know helmet editing is a bear so I'm going to have to brush up on notes to see what I can do about the Lions and Browns helmets. 

As usual, any feedback on the latest update is welcome, enjoy!

I really like the simplicity/minimalism of your Rom's endzones (among other things)!

Right on, thanks for the kind words! I thought that just putting "nfl" in the endzone was the most neutral solution I could come up with. I thought about doing 'afc' and 'nfc' but decided against it since it would look odd outside of interconference play, the pro bowl and Super Bowl. I am by no means an expert when it comes to editing graphics (hence why editing the Browns and Lions helmets hasn't been done in a snap) and have no idea where to begin to get all fancy with the graphics. 

Edited by SBlueman

Well @oilertitanfan, it looks like the best we can hope for is the large helmets for the Browns and Lions to be edited at best as per this thread. I updated the download file, props to @gojiphen malor for all his help!:

What's New in Version 1.05

• Updated Browns big helmets
  • Updated Lions big helmets

SBlueman-TSB2017-v1.05-1.png

SBlueman-TSB2017-v1.05.png

Edited by SBlueman

9 minutes ago, oilertitanfan said:

I understand it's a lot of work I just asked because I've seen how much changes were done to the college edits. Can I ask that you also add @gojiphen malor Eagles helmet he posted in the thread? Thank you so much for your continued work on this project.

And updated!

What's New in Version 1.06  

• Updated Eagles big helmets (hat tip to @gojiphen malor for his help with the graphic updates!)

SBlueman-TSB2017-v1.05-2.png