Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rmm1976

Retro article on NBA Jam

7 posts in this topic

This is a great read for anyone who ever played the arcade or console versions.  Really interesting insight to NBA Jam.  I was a teenager when it came out in the early 90's and spent many a quarter at the local arcade...  This and Street Fighter 2 along with Mortal Kombat 2 were probably the most popular arcade games of the era!

https://www.si.com/longform/2017/nba-jam-oral-history/index.html

Great read.  This really took me back.....I was in NY, Manhatten, in the middle of Time Square when I was on summer vacation at age 13.  There was a huge arcade where everybody hung out right in the middle of it...this game was out, and there where huge lines just to play it....I finally got to play with my basketball idol "Rifleman" Chuck Person and did pretty well...Person could light it up from anywhere, and dunk on anybody (pretty much the Johnny Johnson of NBA Jam) but all the controllers were always full, and people had there quarters lined up on the console like they were were waiting to get into a pool tournament...The wait time to play ratio was anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour, but it was worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  People went CRAZY reacting to game moments...it was nothing short of a specticle.  (especially for a 13 year old!) 

Yeah, that's funny you mentioned that about Chuck Person.  I agree, he was an absolute beast in NBA Jam!!!  My favorite player to control.

90s-costacos-poster-chuck-p.jpg

Person was a beast who could shoot the lights outta any stadium vs any team, and single handedly beat you.  That 91' Pacers squad shoulda' won the Championship that year with the team they had.......They played alot like the Warriors of today.  (I was wearin' my Indiana Pacers Person jersey yesterday)

6 hours ago, ~Tailback King~ said:

Person was a beast who could shoot the lights outta any stadium vs any team, and single handedly beat you.  That 91' Pacers squad shoulda' won the Championship that year with the team they had.......They played alot like the Warriors of today.  (I was wearin' my Indiana Pacers Person jersey yesterday)

Yeah, that was a hell of a starting lineup they had:  Michael Williams (PG), Reggie Miller (SG), Chuck Person (SF), Detlef Schrempf (PF), Rik Smits (C)

All double figures scorers with Miller and Person dropping 3's at will-- kind of like the Warriors but with less star power and more balance.

On 7/8/2017 at 5:45 PM, rmm1976 said:

Yeah, that was a hell of a starting lineup they had:  Michael Williams (PG), Reggie Miller (SG), Chuck Person (SF), Detlef Schrempf (PF), Rik Smits (C)

All double figures scorers with Miller and Person dropping 3's at will-- kind of like the Warriors but with less star power and more balance.

I don't know man....Chuck Person had enough star power to light up a whole team!!!!!!!!!!......and if ya pi$$ed him off, he'd snatch the ball from you and drop kick it into the nose bleed section!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)