Tecmonster's TSB 2018 cover art

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, fatcheerleader said:

You can knock that out in 2 days?!?  You are good sir.

My Excel system gets more streamlined every year.  I revamped it again this year to make it even faster and easier.  Surprisingly, the part the takes the longest is matching up the damn faces.  Ideally, instead of faces, we'd have a picture of either black or white player that displays what kind of player he is (like for RB's, for example, I envision speed RB's having motion lines behind them and power RB's to have a power "burst" in front of them).

As for the release date, I have to push back that August 27th deadline because I read last night that the "final cut to 53" day for the NFL is Sunday, September 3rd.  I always wait until that day to finalize the rosters/game.  So, it will probably be more like Monday night the 4th or, at the latest, Tuesday the 5th.

1 hour ago, Tecmonster said:

Surprisingly, the part the takes the longest is matching up the damn faces.  Ideally, instead of faces, we'd have a picture of either black or white player that displays what kind of player he is (like for RB's, for example, I envision speed RB's having motion lines behind them and power RB's to have a power "burst" in front of them).

that part sucks, for sure.  that is a good idea regarding face via position/ability (while maintaining desired skin tone).  on my fake-football roms, we did things like that, and it worked quite well.

another thing I did about that (in an unreleased tsb rom) was completely remove skin color and face altogether.  just make everybody "brown" skinned in TOOL, but actually use that skin palette as an extra team color.  then, make the action cut screen skin tone something inbetween peach and brown, let's call it "tan".  this scenario works out better than you'd think (try it), but you do lose the "race-pride" aspect of tecmo.  lol

Edited by buck

2 hours ago, Tecmonster said:

buck, could you send me one of your old roms where you tried a similar idea?  Very curious about that.

if you are referring to the skin tone + ability method (not, the 3rd-color, no-race method) the "minor league" rom is one of them, somewhere on the site here, if you can find it.  I have no idea how to find roms on this site anymore.

we had a spreadsheet where we would set the skin tone, and then, based on the ability of the player, a face was automatically selected from a list (IF).  we had 4 possibilities (within each skin tone):  bum, bronze, silver, and gold.

Edited by buck

13 hours ago, buck said:

that part sucks, for sure.  that is a good idea regarding face via position/ability (while maintaining desired skin tone).  on my fake-football roms, we did things like that, and it worked quite well.

another thing I did about that (in an unreleased tsb rom) was completely remove skin color and face altogether.  just make everybody "brown" skinned in TOOL, but actually use that skin palette as an extra team color.  then, make the action cut screen skin tone something inbetween peach and brown, let's call it "tan".  this scenario works out better than you'd think (try it), but you do lose the "race-pride" aspect of tecmo.  lol

Ya i always though it was/would be cool to just use the skin as an extra uni color since we are talking about 8 bit graphics anyways. 

59 minutes ago, bruddog said:

Ya i always though it was/would be cool to just use the skin as an extra uni color since we are talking about 8 bit graphics anyways. 

The only small problem that I see with that is that their faces inside their helmets will be whatever third color you would choose.  

1 hour ago, Tecmonster said:

The only small problem that I see with that is that their faces inside their helmets will be whatever third color you would choose.  

on the playing field - this doesn't seem to bother me.  it looks weird in TOOL, though.

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Sten-Z said:

Any word on when this will be released? Looking forward to it.

Yeah, ETA is Tuesday, September 5th. Opening day NFL rosters aren't finalized until next Sunday, so I'm waiting for that.

The player ratings are done -- now I just need to know which players are actually going to be in the game.