Berwyn, IL - 10/14/17 - The Equalizer - Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament

The group i was in went like this. I played an horrible game vs @ImFlo lost 5-17 Phi over Chi. I threw out the film and pretented that never happened. Also qb eagles to gave up another safety but it was to little to late. Reg beat Flo in a close game . Flo's last minute Jj was short Tb vs ???. . @mort1237 beat @regulator088 in a wild shootout. Coulda went either way. Mort called Right and a and hit some Jj's . Kc over another Tier 2 team . Flo beat mort not sure how and what teams played. I lost in Ot vs Reg 27 to 21 Cle over Gb . Typical cle/gb shootout. Had an cross Directional pass to Fontenet in Good timed perfect but he dropped it. Went for it on 4th down cuz i never punt from my own 2o. Rest is history. I beat mort Pitt over Jets 31 to 6. Drove down scored then he fumbled on Kr as the steelers special teams helped out in this won. Having an 14 lead with Pitt defense is tough to comeback from. Even mort fumbles on kick returns.lol. So we learned that anyone can beat anyone and Flo is ptetty good on Mic. Flo and Reg were doing some commentary on the stream.  I got the broncs. Beat the pats easily then lost in ot due to Elway fumble vs local with Philly. He knew what he was doing. I could not stop Keith jackson Jj's and ccs. But credit him for playing agressive tecmo just like i would if ever go up vs any weak links in the opposing teams secondary.  #9routes Humpy had a good game but my 1st drive i riverboated it from 4th and 8 and goal to.goaland was yard shy. i prob shoulda kicked the fg but i like to #Riverboat .Nice to meet online player @ShallahBeywho wad 2nd place. He really plays some tough defense. Moska Joe masueraded as "The shark" and had killed 5 beers by the time i got there. @Tecmobo got his Raiders and did work. Congratulations. Ty to @Allamerican1569 for running a great tourney. 

Edited by red98sethuthut
im bored on a train

On 10/15/2017 at 9:52 PM, qb_browns said:

Group results, draft order, single elim position, and all the change outs would be nice to see. 

Draft Order and Team Selection:

1. TecmoBo - Raiders - 3-0

2. Green Majik - Eagles - 3-0

3. Regulator- Chiefs - 2-1

4. Joey Vench - Bears - 2-1

5. Matt S. - Dolphins - 2-1

6. Shallahbey - Chargers - 2-1 (replaced Flo after group play)

7. Mike B. - Packers - 2-1

8. Tom S. - Bengals - 2-1

9. Ruben - Cowboys - 2-1

10. Phil N. - Vikings - 2-1

11. Shark - Lions - 1-2

12. Lil' Ruben - Rams - 1-2

13. James K. - Bucs - 1-2

14. Mort - Redskins - 1-2

15. Lou - Broncos - 1-2

16. Dan S. - Cardinals - 1-2

17. Todd - Steelers - 1-2

18. Vinny - Patriots - 1-2

19. Sean - Falcons - 0-3

20. Darren - Colts - 0-3 

Edited by allamerican1569

The Equalizer: Green Majik's tourney recap

Quick Shout-out to @allamerican1569: this was a great time, buddy. I hope the live stream debacle doesn't taint the perception that this was an otherwise extremely well-run and fun tournament. We got to see @mort1237 Magic vs @regulator088 on the live stream. We also got to see Mort eliminated, WAS-SD, on the live stream by @ShallahBey. And we got to see some great stuff by new Chicago champ @tecmobo. His final 4 match-up vs James Kuhn as the Bucs was also highly entertaining. 

Group Play: I went 3 - 0 in group 3 play, what a thrill. This was what a mid-skilled player was hoping for: take care of business in group play and get that high lottery pick. That's the only way I could hope to keep step with the big guns in the bracket. I had the good fortune of winning each of my coin tosses in group play, which meant I was not only player one, but got to choose my tier. 

- First game against Sean C. I select tier 4. Sean takes the Falcons and I take the Steelers. Sean played well, but I contained his run game and gave Rison hell with my secondary all game. I think it was 13-0 toward the end and a garbage time TD made it 20-0. At this point I'm feeling pretty confident with the Steelers. 

- Second game against @allamerican1569. Tom and I have a couple games under our belt at Michael Anthony's; I believe he's beat me with the Cardinals and Jets. Since "monday night football" at DMen's Tap began a month ago, Tom has beat me every which way: tier 2 Eagles over Raiders, tier 3 Rams over Bucs, tier 4 Falcons over Steelers, tier 5 Packers over Browns ... and he absolutely CRUSHED me Chiefs over Raiders. Three of these games have literally come down to a last second bomb, so although I was 0-7 (or more?!) v him all time, I think he and I both had that sense that I was "due."  

To Tom's surprise I call tier 4 (I'd threatened on the forum I was going tier 5 in group play). Tom takes the Falcons and I take the Steelers, again. Ironically we'd played this exact match-up the previous Monday at DMen's Tap, Tom beating me with thrilling last-second diving TD to Rison. I was comfortable from the get-go and my familiarity with Tom's play-calling definitely showed up in the second half. I contained his run game and shut down Rison; one 75 yd chuck to Collins was all against the Steelers D. In the first half I stopped Tom on 4th down which gave me a short field and I drove for the long FG. On offense I didn't have much production (Brister 20% for 57 yd)(Lipps 1 rec 29yd), but Hoge (8 carries for 42 yd) went into 'good' in the second half, which helped. Two INTs could have cost me the game: a JJ to Scott Case deep in Falcons territory, and on a poor decision into the endzone late, which took away my chance at a FG and gave Tom a chance to strike back. On his last drive, several called plays made it nearly impossible for the Falcons and I come away with the W.

A three-score game; the Steelers with 99 yd offense, Falcons with 124. My kind of Tecmo!

- Third game against Dan Slattery. At this point there is only one or two other undefeated group players, so I know I'm one win away from an extremely high lottery pick. I select tier 4 again, but Dan has the audacity to take the Steelers! So I take the Saints. It's the same match-up we played in a practice game before the tournament. 

(Stats from our scrub game, which led to my 2-0 OT defeat: Saints 62 yd offense (Walsh 50 yd rushing!); Steelers 52 yd offense. Yowza! More impressive than this, Greg Lloyd blocked all three of my FG attempts! I've never seen that before)

Like our scrimmage, this game started out as a punter's dual. Dan and I played evenly in this defensive battle, but I was able to get a risky deep JJ to Heyward with like 3 Steelers defenders around him. 10-10 into overtime, and I'm able to put a long drive together for the FG win.

Bracket Play: As the only other undefeated player in group play, @tecmobo wins the lottery and selects the Raiders, giving me my dream team Eagles. I looked ahead in the bracket and saw I'd likely be up against Lou's Broncos in the next round. I immediately began brushing up on Broncos INT stats so I could look for deep balls to Jackson and Byars. FS Atwater 31 INT and CB1 Henderson 38 INT. Licking my chops!

-Round of 16 against @red98sethuthut (as Broncos). He said it best:

10 hours ago, red98sethuthut said:

... I got the broncs. Beat the pats easily then lost in ot due to Elway fumble vs local with Philly. He knew what he was doing. I could not stop Keith jackson Jj's and ccs. But credit him for playing agressive tecmo just like i would if ever go up vs any weak links in the opposing teams secondary.  #9routes Humpy had a good game but my 1st drive i riverboated it from 4th and 8 and goal to.goal and was yard shy. i prob shoulda kicked the fg but i like to #Riverboat ...

The superior team won, not the superior player. The format of The Equalizer allowed a middle-tier player like myself to beat at elite player, Lou, only because I had the Eagles. Yet Lou took it to OT, losing 21-27. Stats:

QB Eagles: 9 rush for 46 yd; 316 yd passing and 1 INT.

Humphrey: 13 rush for 230 yd. 

Elway: 9 rush for 36 yd.

I just could not find a way to contain Humphrey with Allen, Brown and Joyner. Credit to Lou for ripping off an 85+ yd TD run to open the second half and tie it up.

- Second game vs Phil N (as Vikings). Over the last month Phil and I had played a number of times at DMen's tap, with me taking more of the victories. In our most recent game he beat me by two points Vikings over Bucs. I'm feeling pretty confident given I have the Eagles, I have familiarity vs Phil and the Vikings, and I've got momentum at 4-0. Before the game, @mort1237 sagely mentions that Eagles-Vikings is a pretty good match-up. 

The game is largely a blur to me (didn't take a photo so I don't have specifics). I remember Phil playing a killer ground game with that damn playbook that gives Fenney two running plays. For the most part I shut down AC. Phil scoops and scores a Byars punt return fumble, putting him up 14-7 for the time being, but I counter with a deep chuck to Jackson which sets up a QB Eagles scramble score to close the half. I'm feeling confident in the second half but can't get paydirt; I believe Phil blocks a Ruzek field goal to kill a drive. Driving late 4th quarter down 17-20, QB Eagles gets caught up in the red zone and takes a sack, setting up long-and-goal. With seven seconds on the ~4 yd line (Mort says, again sagely, "it would have to be a quick pass.") I elect for the FG and the tie, sending it into OT. 

In OT Phil gets the ball and puts a solid drive together, finally getting AC into the game with a  ~35yd TD pass. With that I'm knocked out and head over to the live stream to commentate. What a rush! I made some mistakes in my last game, but I also did some good things. Congrats to Phil for making such a deep run vs the Vikings!

I've listened to some of your guys feedback and the "cleaner" part of the stream is back up.  The beginning part of the stream is down and needs some heavy video editing for obvious reasons.  Looking back on it, I should of gave some initial indication about experimenting with my buddy Chris on stream as a commentator as my channel does not usually contain content with heavy cursing. There is still some random outbursts from people on the later part of this stream, but it's now listed as NSFW for that reason.  This is most likely the first time someone can say that when @ImFlo hopped on the stream as opposed to the previous commentator that it was like changing the channel from HBO to PBS.

On 10/16/2017 at 11:46 AM, Green Majik said:

- Second game against @allamerican1569. Tom and I have a couple games under our belt at Michael Anthony's; I believe he's beat me with the Cardinals and Jets. Since "monday night football" at DMen's Tap began a month ago, Tom has beat me every which way: tier 2 Eagles over Raiders, tier 3 Rams over Bucs, tier 4 Falcons over Steelers, tier 5 Packers over Browns ... and he absolutely CRUSHED me Chiefs over Raiders. Three of these games have literally come down to a last second bomb, so although I was 0-7 (or more?!) v him all time, I think he and I both had that sense that I was "due."  

To Tom's surprise I call tier 4 (I'd threatened on the forum I was going tier 5 in group play). Tom takes the Falcons and I take the Steelers, again. Ironically we'd played this exact match-up the previous Monday at DMen's Tap, Tom beating me with thrilling last-second diving TD to Rison. I was comfortable from the get-go and my familiarity with Tom's play-calling definitely showed up in the second half. I contained his run game and shut down Rison; one 75 yd chuck to Collins was all against the Steelers D. In the first half I stopped Tom on 4th down which gave me a short field and I drove for the long FG. On offense I didn't have much production (Brister 20% for 57 yd)(Lipps 1 rec 29yd), but Hoge (8 carries for 42 yd) went into 'good' in the second half, which helped. Two INTs could have cost me the game: a JJ to Scott Case deep in Falcons territory, and on a poor decision into the endzone late, which took away my chance at a FG and gave Tom a chance to strike back. On his last drive, several called plays made it nearly impossible for the Falcons and I come away with the W.

A three-score game; the Steelers with 99 yd offense, Falcons with 124. My kind of Tecmo!

You did a superb job completely shutting down my run game.  I usually count on breaking a few runs with Rozier in a Falcons / Steelers matchup and I don't remember getting more than 3 yards on a carry.

23 hours ago, segathonsov said:

Fun stream from what I saw popping in and out between my Honey Do list.

How bad was the NSFW stuff? Got to be crazy if Flow is considered PBS....

It was definitely a fun stream, but the initial shock value of the commentators swearing lead to the chat letting them hear about it (during the first game).  Then that devolved into a back and forth between the one commentator and the chat.  It was all in good fun, but the combination of the commentators not knowing the people in the chat and what was being said was not a good mix.  The humor and energy had the Tecmo crowd going at the bar, but the feedback from the people watching the stream was mixed.   I'll still go through the footage and upload some of his zingers. 

As for me, I'm personally one that doesn't like to swear on the internet too much, but I'm also not in the business of filtering it either.  I mean come on!  I have Nick The Commish as a co-host on Retro Sports Gaming Monthly.

Edited by allamerican1569

• 1 month later...