Sign in to follow this  
Bolt

Favorite Coach

My real answer would be predictable and boring.  So I'll go with some honorable mentions. 

Respect-wise, I'd have to go with Bill Cowher.  His record speaks for itself.  And I loved his intense looks.  It's crazy that he only has 1 ring.  He should have quite a few more... but I'm glad he doesn't. 

Personality-wise, Rex Ryan.  At the absolute peak of my NFL fanatic days, when I could eat/sleep/breathe football 365 days/year, he was the coach that got under my skin the most.  He always had something to say that would make headlines and it made Pats/Jets games that much more dramatic.  Losing to him was extra painful and beating him was so much more enjoyable.  As much as I hated him then, it's that hatred and rivalry that make sports exciting.  I miss him the in AFC East.

For comedic purposes, there's a lot to choose from here, but I'll go with a current guy, Jason Garrett.  Whenever something bad happens to Dallas - whether it be failing on a 3rd down conversion, or fumbling in the red zone, or allowing a 3rd and 25, missing a FG, shanking a punt (the list goes on) - he can always be seen clapping on the sideline.  It's f***ing mind-boggling, but it cracks me up every time.

But seriously, Belichick

Hi. Going to go with an assistant. Should be a HOFer nonetheless. Father of the ZBS, ex-49er offensive line coach, Bobb McKittrick.

9 hours ago, Lurch said:

Hi. Going to go with an assistant. Should be a HOFer nonetheless. Father of the ZBS, ex-49er offensive line coach, Bobb McKittrick.

Opinions vary! 

Like, @Bodom, my easy answer is too easy. So let's drill down further...

Dante Scarnecchia - Current OL coach of the New England Patriots. You want proof of how important a good OL coach is? See Patriots seasons with and without Dante Scarnecchia.

Marvin Lewis - He's the mediocre coach that I love to hate. Guy should have been fired years ago, but still has his job. He constantly takes chances on players who clearly have off-field issues that are carried over into the season and often cause major distractions for the team. Frankly, guy kind of deserves what he gets considering his approach.

Pete Carrol - I like his approach. He let's his players be themselves, but still emphasizes the 'team' standard. He's molded an environment that is inclusive and forward-thinking. He hit lightning in a bottle with the players who originally made the Legion of Boom a household name, but I'm uncertain if he can recreate the kind of defense that is required to make his offense flourish.

Mike Tomlin - Like Carrol, Tomlin is a players coach. I appreciate his interview style and his unabashed approach. I'm a little skeptical of how deep his x's and o's knowledge base goes when it comes to helping design contemporary schemes.

Okay, now let's get serious...

Bill Belichick - Greatest coach of all-time. My favorite interview style (surly). There is not a fan of the NFL that exists who wouldn't want Bill Belichick to be their team's head coach. Even the Browns and Jets, who Belichick walked away from, would get on their knees to welcome him back. And if you think you wouldn't praise the lord above if Belichick became your team's head coach, you're lying to yourself. He's not only a mastermind coach, but a GM as well. We are blessed to witness a living legend while he works in real-time.