Chicago Tecmo meetup

https://www.meetup.com/Chicago-Tecmo-Super-Bowl-meetup/

I talked to a few of you guys at Madison about having a monthly get-together and play Tecmo.  I also put it on Meetup as I had a friend use it successfully to gather a lot of traffic for his group.

Anyways if you live near Chicago or just want to come we will be having our first Meetup in the first or second week of May.  Right now we are shooting for a ride, wed or Thurs night.  6 to 10.

Tom has a potential location that we can use and we will confirm an exact date.  If your interested and can bring equipment send me an email to [email protected].  Also if you have any questions.  Also take a moment to sign up for the group on MeetMe.  That will help recruit new people.

Our regular get togethers in Green Bay, be it casually, or in tournament form really grew over the past 2 years.  Our last one got us up to 24.

Do I smell a tournament scene popping up?

• 2 weeks later...
On April 18, 2017 at 8:01 PM, mort1237 said:

We might have to do NBA jam too at these.

And Jam we shall!

I'll bring my SNES with Jam, Jam TE (+Hang Time, because why not?), along with my multitap. 

Um, my tv only has low volume, and the SNES fades in/out of color. But you know, hehe, that's retro for ya. 

On 4/28/2017 at 2:21 PM, Green Majik said:

Is the tier system similar to Tomczak Bowl's?

I just took a look at the Tomczak Bowl's Tier List.  It is similar without the intersecting teams and allows for more matchup flexibility.  I want reveal the visual at the meet up. Mort and I will most likely do a video this next week explaining the tier list in more detail.  I will post it in this thread.

On April 29, 2017 at 9:43 PM, allamerican1569 said:

I just took a look at the Tomczak Bowl's Tier List.  It is similar without the intersecting teams and allows for more matchup flexibility.  I want reveal the visual at the meet up. Mort and I will most likely do a video this next week explaining the tier list in more detail.  I will post it in this thread.

Here's the tier system as outlined in the vid, which streamed today:

tier 1: 49ers, Giants, Oilers, Bills

tier 2: Chiefs, Bears, Eagles, Raiders, Dolphins, Bengals

tier 3: Vikings, Lions, Rams, Chargers, Redskins, Buccaneers, Broncos, Cowboys

tier 4: Steelers, Cardinals, Falcons, Jets, Saints

tier 5: Packers, Browns, Seahawks, Patriots, Colts

As I understand it, the player who wins the toss chooses the tier, then the loser chooses the team from that tier OR any tier below. Last, the winner chooses a different team from the same tier the loser picked from. 

We are all set for Tuesday!  I just got back from Michael Anthony's and they have outlets galore in the back room.  Between Mort and I, we have 5 TVs and 3 Nintendo Systems with Tecmo Super Bowl.  I will set up one TV with 4 player NBA Jam on the Sega Genesis.  Joseph, if you want to bring your TV with NBA Hangtime there is definitely room for it.  For anyone else if we could get one more Nintendo there with Tecmo Super Bowl, that would be great (So we can have 4 TVs set up with TSB).  I plan on streaming Mort attempting to run the gauntlet during the $50 challenge on my YouTube Channel: The Retro Sports Gamer.  I am inviting quite a few locals to come out to see if we can get them interested in playing in Tecmo Super Bowl tournaments.  I am going to give 3-4 inexperienced locals a crack at Mort before having Joseph, Rico, Flo play him.  I will put you guys in order to play him based on who shows up to the event first.  We will be using our new tier list for the games and will reveal the nice visual we created at the event.  I will print out some additional tier lists for whoever wants to take one with them.  I'll see you all there.  Invite whoever you'd like.  Let me know if you have any questions. 

We had a great turnout yesterday for our first Chicago meet up at Michael Anthony's.   We had over 30 people coming in and out throughout the course of the night.  We had 6 guys there that have played in Tecmo Tournaments, and a lot of local friends who came to check it out either by personal invite or hearing about it on facebook.  We ended up with 7 TV's hooked up with games.  3 Nintendos with Tecmo Super Bowl, 2 Super Nintendos (one with 4 player NBA Hangtime and one with NBA Jam TE 2K17), 1 Sega Genesis with 4 player NBA Jam TE, and 1 NES mini for people that weren't as interested in sports games. 

Mort ended up going 7-1 in the $50 challenge taken down by Flo and his Tampa Bay Buccaneers.  Congrats to Flo!

It was really a great time.  We played from 6:30pm to 11:30pm on a TUESDAY.  If anyone is interested in meet ups like this in Chicago let us know as we will have more in the future.

Thank you to everyone who came out and Special Thanks to Mort, Joseph, and my brother Matt for bringing their TVs and equipment.

If you want to check out the live stream from the event, here it is: 

Edited by allamerican1569

591b70c87aeeb_FinalTecmoTierList.thumb.jpg.e53f40549a8e272f6e409c6c61577c95.jpg

Winner of the Coin Flip is Player 1 and gets choice of Tier

Loser of Coin Flip is Player 2 and choses team first from the Tier Player 1 chose or a lower Tier

Player 1 chooses team from Tier originally chosen or a lower tier

We are proposing to use this Tier List during any events or tournament we run in the future. It aims to do a few things:

- Educate newer players on what teams match up well against each other

- Educate newer players on the best offensive and defensive player on each team as well as their most desirable attribute

- Creates greater matchup flexibility

- Allows players to focus on using favorite teams in each tier

- Allows players to practice using a minimum of 10 teams (2 from each tier) to prepare for a tournament.

- Gives a quick guide for Field Goal Kicking Range for each team for experienced and newer players alike

If you would like me to send you the Tier List file in the original size as a PDF or JPG, please email me at [email protected]

Edited by allamerican1569

On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 5:58 PM, allamerican1569 said:

591b70c87aeeb_FinalTecmoTierList.thumb.jpg.e53f40549a8e272f6e409c6c61577c95.jpg

Winner of the Coin Flip is Player 1 and gets choice of Tier

Loser of Coin Flip is Player 2 and choses team first from the Tier Player 1 chose or a lower Tier

Player 1 chooses team from Tier originally chosen or a lower tier

We are proposing to use this Tier List during any events or tournament we run in the future. It aims to do a few things:

- Educate newer players on what teams match up well against each other

- Educate newer players on the best offensive and defensive player on each team as well as their most desirable attribute

- Creates greater matchup flexibility

- Allows players to focus on using favorite teams in each tier

- Allows players to practice using a minimum of 10 teams (2 from each tier) to prepare for a tournament.

- Gives a quick guide for Field Goal Kicking Range for each team for experienced and newer players alike

If you would like me to send you the Tier List file in the original size as a PDF or JPG, please email me at [email protected]

I accidentally wound up with one these well put together sheets. Mort left in my bin when i saw him Ohio. 

• 3 weeks later...