(NES) R.B.I. Baseball 2017

R.B.I. Baseball 2017

The first release in the MLB17 series is finally here.

This is the 2017 edition of the NES classic, R.B.I. Baseball. 

All 30 teams are represented here with rosters and starting lineups closely representing the ones used on Opening Day.  I say "closely" because I took the liberties of juggling some of the lineups, due to a player being injured who would typically be in the starting lineup (i.e. Adrian Beltre, Didi Gregorious, and Steve Cishek).

I did this ROM a little differently than previous years.  One of the first changes you will notice from the top is in the presentation.  In the past I would truncate a player's name if it exceeded (and most do) six letters.  So, Madison Bumgarner would be listed as "BUMGAR."  This year, I went with the classic "cramming" method, so Bumgarner is displayed ad "BMGRNR," Gary Sanchez is "SANCHZ", David Robertson is "RBRTSN", etc.  I tested out both way with last year's release to see what the general concensus was as far as preference goes.  Most seemed to like the "crammed" method, so that way stuck this season.

Another difference is with the way I rated players.  With EVERY R.B.I. ROM release up to this date, I rated a player based on the previous season.  On paper, this seems like a good idea, but a lot of elite players were being stunted because of injuries.  I first took note of this a couple seasons ago where  Prince Fielder had a .247 average and 3 homeruns.  Because of this, he was rated not much better than a player on the back of the Padres' bench.  So, this season (and future seasons) I rated the players on their complete body of work based pro-rated over a 162 game season.  In doing so, even though Mike Trout had a "down" year with only 29 homeruns, he is still rated like a beast.

If I botched anything, let me know.  Enjoy.

The second release in my MLB17 series, R.B.I. Baseball 3: 2017, will be released in the next 2-3 weeks (earlier if you're a Patreon.com/BaronGaming member).

10 hours ago, TheFes75 said:

Bumgarner hits right handed but in the game he hits left.

That's funny.  I saw that you responded to this post, and I knew it was about Bumgarner's batting.  I never figured out how to get left-handed pitchers to bat right-handed.  Since he's a left-handed pitcher, by default, the game makes him bat from that side of the plate.

I was wondering if there is a way to make the fielders put their arms up on pop ups and fly balls when a fielder is camped under it like the computer controlled players do.  I know in Baseball Simulator 1.000 the fielders do this and the computer controlled fielders do it when you are playing a 1 player game.  Not that it is that hard to get to the right spot, but that would let you know when you are under the ball.

14 hours ago, TheFes75 said:

I was wondering if there is a way to make the fielders put their arms up on pop ups and fly balls when a fielder is camped under it like the computer controlled players do.  I know in Baseball Simulator 1.000 the fielders do this and the computer controlled fielders do it when you are playing a 1 player game.  Not that it is that hard to get to the right spot, but that would let you know when you are under the ball.

I never figured out the switch-hitter things.  Also, I'm not sure how/if you can make your fielders put their hands up.  I haven't seen any on-the-field collisions, so I'm guessing that calling off your teammates isn't necessary in RBI Baseball. /shrug