TecmoCleveland

Avon Lake, OH - 08/05/17 - Tecmo Cleveland

2 minutes ago, mort1237 said:

By grand prize you mean 1st place.  Or the total prize pool?  

Grand prize I mean just first place - 

I have a number of other prizes and things lined up for participants and other on-goings thanks to support from vendors

11 minutes ago, red98sethuthut said:

Wait you had to pay.for the venue??? If you have 48 beer drinkers they should not charge you nothing for the venue. That's we have em at bars. Ok And i suggest MyName is Tags. Edit= Just 1st and 2nd get paid?

Yeah I rented an American Legion Hall so it's a dedicated space and they'll have real cheap beers too - supposedly $2 beers! I have a meeting this week to confirm all the last minute logistics, etc. but i figured this would be ideal for gameplay so it's essentially our house, our time, our spot, our bar!

1st and 2nd do have cash prizes - but we'll have others as well. Trying to do as much as I can for everyone. 

Also we just confirmed we'll also have Tipsy Raccoons onsite as well in addition to our free-play arcade: http://www.glitchbit.com/ 

But yeah, I wrote a check for the venue which was fine and more than glad to do. Like I said, I wanted to do it right and get us our own space. I'm taking off work the two days before the event to do most of the work, setup, haul in arcade cabinets, etc. 

2 minutes ago, mort1237 said:

How much did it cost to rent the legion hall?

$400 for the entire day - plus getting in the day before all-day for setup. I didn't want to advertise this, but if people are curious - that's what I put down to book the hall. The following is a strawman of my budget I put together even before getting started/posting: 

Costs

Hall: $400

T-Shirts: $700 - $850 if max registration (t-shirt cost varies based on order size, colors, front/back, etc.) but average $13 - $17/per unit

Grand Prize: Up to $500

Runner Up: Up to $200

Promotional t-shirts for spin-up tournaments: $240 ($20/unit, since such a small order, ordered 12)

Marketing/print/social media/banners/signage: $150 - $200

Equipment: (consoles, TVs, games, AV, etc.): $300+

All-in costs could max out around $2,500 - $2,700. 

If maxed attendance at all "list" price, my 'best case' would be $35 x 76 = $2,660; less eventbrite fees, taxes, etc. +/- $2,200ish. However, average ticket price with giveaways are averaging closer to $29 - $31 with promotions, events, out of pocket costs, etc. So if we did max out at 76 even all in $2,400; again less taxes, fees, etc. end up around $2,000 or so. Overall, definitely not taking anything home at the end of the day which is the way it should be and i'm glad to invest in having some large-scale, competitive, tecmo. I think having our own dedicated space and the cost to rent the hall will be fun. I definitely considered a bar or restaurant, but I think it will be nice to have our own space and I'm not losing a ton of $ and it's fun. Hope to see you guys here. Thanks. Tom 

1 minute ago, TecmoCleveland said:

$400 for the entire day - plus getting in the day before all-day for setup. I didn't want to advertise this, but if people are curious - that's what I put down to book the hall. The following is a strawman of my budget I put together even before getting started/posting: 

Costs

Hall: $400

T-Shirts: $700 - $850 if max registration (t-shirt cost varies based on order size, colors, front/back, etc.) but average $13 - $17/per unit

Grand Prize: Up to $500

Runner Up: Up to $200

Promotional t-shirts for spin-up tournaments: $240 ($20/unit, since such a small order, ordered 12)

Marketing/print/social media/banners/signage: $150 - $200

Equipment: (consoles, TVs, games, AV, etc.): $300+

All-in costs could max out around $2,500 - $2,700. 

If maxed attendance at all "list" price, my 'best case' would be $35 x 76 = $2,660; less eventbrite fees, taxes, etc. +/- $2,200ish. However, average ticket price with giveaways are averaging closer to $29 - $31 with promotions, events, out of pocket costs, etc. So if we did max out at 76 even all in $2,400; again less taxes, fees, etc. end up around $2,000 or so. Overall, definitely not taking anything home at the end of the day which is the way it should be and i'm glad to invest in having some large-scale, competitive, tecmo. I think having our own dedicated space and the cost to rent the hall will be fun. I definitely considered a bar or restaurant, but I think it will be nice to have our own space and I'm not losing a ton of $ and it's fun. Hope to see you guys here. Thanks. Tom 

Likewise, i'm open to any and all feedback in the future - I tend to go all out and want to lay out the red carpet so hopefully it's a blast. But I want to try to definitely bring my overall costs down in the future and also for attendees. One obvious way to do this is to make t-shirts optional, but I think it's fun to do for everyone to walk away with something regardless win or lose. But that's easily 30%+ of my budget as you can see. 

While the total amount of prize money players can win at these tournaments will always be a draw for many, I think we can all agree the love of the game and camaraderie are what matter most.  It's events like these that further the dream of many on this site - to continue to make Tecmo Super Bowl a mainstream eSport.  

Tom has done more to increase the Tecmo scene in Cleveland over the past few months than I did over the span of several years when I hosted tournaments (some of which were entirely dedicated to raising money for charity). He has gotten this event featured in newspapers, articles, podcasts and an upcoming TV appearance while largely doing it on his own. He has has hosted tons of pre-tournament events across the city and used social media to broaden his target audience.  To have nearly 50 people signed up at this point is a huge accomplishment and I commend everything he has done.  

Hopefully you guys can make it as I am sure it will be a great time!

14 minutes ago, The Ultimate Weapon said:

While the total amount of prize money players can win at these tournaments will always be a draw for many, I think we can all agree the love of the game and camaraderie are what matter most.  It's events like these that further the dream of many on this site - to continue to make Tecmo Super Bowl a mainstream eSport.  

Tom has done more to increase the Tecmo scene in Cleveland over the past few months than I did over the span of several years when I hosted tournaments (some of which were entirely dedicated to raising money for charity). He has gotten this event featured in newspapers, articles, podcasts and an upcoming TV appearance while largely doing it on his own. He has has hosted tons of pre-tournament events across the city and used social media to broaden his target audience.  To have nearly 50 people signed up at this point is a huge accomplishment and I commend everything he has done.  

Thanks brother! Can't wait!

21 minutes ago, The Ultimate Weapon said:

My suggestion for the future is to have it a bar in the  and pool the equipment from players coming to the tourney to cut costs. That's crazy but cool that u have put almost 3k into the tournament. Make the t-shirts optional . I hope everything works out for you

14 minutes ago, red98sethuthut said:

My suggestion for the future is to have it a bar in the  and pool the equipment from players coming to the tourney to cut costs. That's crazy but cool that u have put almost 3k into the tournament. Make the t-shirts optional . I hope everything works out for you

well hopefully the tecmo gods will view it as 'tribute'. lol

I'm also planning on having some raffles of items the day of as well, to hopefully work my way back to break-even with raffles for gift cards, prize packs, extra t-shirts, merch/signs, etc. 

It's just coming out of my kids' college fund anyways and my wife is pregnant with #2 so I still have some 'fun' money to spend for another 3 months!

1 hour ago, TecmoCleveland said:

Pretty cool to divulge all of this. My only real feedback is that you are getting raped on shirt costs. Those costs are astronomical, even if on a tri-blend/ringspun/American Apparel. I would really look at this portion next year, especially since they are the main sponsor. (At least it appears that way, being front and center on your site.)

17 minutes ago, davefmurray said:

Pretty cool to divulge all of this. My only real feedback is that you are getting raped on shirt costs. Those costs are astronomical, even if on a tri-blend/ringspun/American Apparel. I would really look at this portion next year, especially since they are the main sponsor. (At least it appears that way, being front and center on your site.)

Yeah, I figure it doesn't hurt because I think it's perfectly legit for people to wonder where their dollars are going as well. The shirts are real high-quality, front and back and 8 bit apparel did a nice job with the design. We've got tons of good feedback from them at the promo events, so I know they're support good quality. I know you know Dave that the more you order the more the costs tend to go down, which is why the first order of 12 was so crazy high, but I wanted something in hand to promote and wear/giveaway to local winners. 

I think the best option in the future would be to make the shirts optional because as you notice it's a good portion of the overall budget. However, I don't want to over-order, or else I'm more or less stuck buying a bunch of shirts I can't sell per se. Overall, I'd be thrilled if I came close to breaking even of course and learn some lessons for this year, going into next year. I also think I have the opportunity to "up" the sponsor commitment levels - generally for every event it was $0 to $35 dollars (cost for an entry). $0 for the fact it helps me spread the word and it's essentially my time and effort + giving away an entry to spread the good tecmo word and the PR.

Needless to say, my wife is very glad all those mini-events are done and over with, but she'll be 6+ months pregnant helping me out with her GF on the big game day as well as a bunch of guys in the Tecmo Cleveland and surrounding areas. Tons of opportunity to mitigate risk/cost in the future for everyone! Thanks for the feedback! Tom 

19 minutes ago, TecmoCleveland said:

which is why the first order of 12 was so crazy high, but I wanted something in hand to promote and wear/giveaway to local winners. 

No, I am telling $13-$17 for a 2-color, non-oversized print, even at 25+, is stupid expensive. $20 for 12 is even more ridiculous.

Yes, they look great but you are being rolled over the coals.

2 minutes ago, davefmurray said:

No, I am telling $13-$17 for a 2-color, non-oversized print, even at 25+, is stupid expensive. $20 for 12 is even more ridiculous.

Yes, they look great but you are being rolled over the coals.

Gotcha. Well, again, learning as I go and I appreciate the feedback. I hope to keep getting better in the future so the costs are lower in the future all around. Thanks for the feedback Dave. Tom 

On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 2:55 PM, The Ultimate Weapon said:

After the tournament ends i'd be willing to make an offer for some of your equipment. I need a few more nintendos and a couple sega genesis. Tv's

Edited by red98sethuthut

16 hours ago, red98sethuthut said:

After the tournament ends i'd be willing to make an offer for some of your equipment. I need a few more nintendos and a couple sega genesis. Tv's

I actually don't mind the extra consoles. I'm a NES and retro game collector as well - so I've got plenty of games to play, lol. My wife loves me and our guest room. 

IMG_3516.JPG

Edited by TecmoCleveland
TYPO

Dave ain't lying about those shirt costs. I've been making and selling shirts at Tecmo Madison for probably the last 6 or 7 years. Hit me up next time you want shirts made.

Tecmo Cleveland was featured over the weekend and online on our local Channel 19 CBS News - I made sure to show some love for Tecmo Madison and the larger Tecmo community here as well, you guys have been incredible, full link here: 

http://www.cleveland19.com/story/36005429/tecmo-cleveland-keeping-an-80s-and-90s-favorite-alive

I think the producer found of bunch of clips from the interwebs re: Madison and it turned out real nice. 5 more days! Tom 

How does the blind draw format work? Is there a group.play games before an single or double emilination tournament? Or is just an random draw double or triple elimination?

4 hours ago, red98sethuthut said:

How does the blind draw format work? Is there a group.play games before an single or double emilination tournament? Or is just an random draw double or triple elimination?

Hey Louis,

This link provides some more detail:

https://www.tecmocleveland.com/rules

From what I understand participants are placed into groups (double elimination) at random then the winners of group play advance to bracket play - looking forward to seeing you guys this weekend!

Ryan

Edited by The Ultimate Weapon
Typos

If the max of 76 registrants is met, how would the final bracket be determined? Taking winners of 4-man groups would result in an odd 19-man bracket, right?  Would there simply be three "play in" games to reach a 16-man bracket or maybe adding the 13 best group runner ups based on point differential and making it a 32-man bracket? 

Groups bigger than 4?

Just curious. Thanks!

We'll be posting a recap of the event with brackets, videos and more to follow; but I just wanted to drop a line real quick to say "thank you" to everyone that came out and hopefully had a great time at Tecmo Cleveland. Overall, we had a total of 64 people register in total, which I think was incredible. I'd love to get your feedback and what you'd like to see more of next year as well. 

Thank you all in advance and congrats to @mort1237 (Champion), Panda (Matt Diaz, Runner-up), and Cleveland Force (Jason Wolf, Third-place). Hope to see you all and more next year in Cleveland! 

Also Channel 19 News came again during the event and had the following on the news in the evening and web here: http://www.cleveland19.com/story/36073730/tecmo-bowl-tournament-held-in-avon-lake 

Best. Tom