Grogan's Panhandle Tecmo League

Knobbe

Before the advent of online tecmo leagues, they used to have these things called Tecmo Leagues where people would get together and play on the console. Back in the mid to late 90s there were several of these leagues around with web sites. I had a chance to have a conversation the other day with a guy who ran such a league and he had some interesting stuff to say about Tecmo and his contact with the company.

justinf: hey there

knobbe: hey

justinf: just registered on your site, brought back a ton of memories, I used to have one of two tecmo sites on the web, back in 95-95 maybe...

knobbe: oh yeah? do you remember the url?

justinf: it was Grogan's Panhandle Tecmo Football League.

knobbe: i remember that

justinf: the site was on nuc.net which is probably no longer a hosting site

knobbe: you can pull some of those old sites up on archive.org

justinf: you do? cool. i'm trying to do that now in fact.

justinf: i think it might be TOO old

knobbe: yeah, i started searching around in 97-98 for sites

knobbe: there was the cincinatti league

justinf: http://www.nuc.net/~sixty shows that there were updates, but it's not there

knobbe: and virginia tech

knobbe: and some others

justinf: yeah i am good friends with the guys that REALLY started it all... the iron city guys

justinf: randall griffith has all his site archived somewhere.

knobbe: if you or any of those guys want their old sites hosted, I can do that for you

knobbe: i'm doing that with the old tecmobowl.com site

justinf: i'd like to find mine. =)

justinf: i had tons of emails and stuff from the lead dev of tecmo at the time

justinf: the project manager

knobbe: for when they were developing tsb iii and psx tecmo bwol?

justinf: tsb and tsb ii, Tomie something

justinf: one single guy programmed the entire tsb game, then they hired 2 other guys to work on the next two titles

knobbe: do you have any of those e-mails?

justinf: no i saved them on the site...if i could find that site arvchived all would be well. they are really funny mails too

knobbe: was he the same guy who programmed the original?

knobbe: probably, since they're all the same style

justinf: he was a PM he managed it...now they are called Producers i guess ,in the industry

justinf: but the dev wrote tsb, tsb II and tsb III final

knobbe: i'd love to ask him why he didn't use passing accuracy in tecmo super bowl

justinf: answers.com has all their info

justinf: you can see the guy i talked to..who would know that

justinf: J.Sakuraba

justinf: he has got to be in his mid 40's by now

knobbe: do you have a link for that?

justinf: let me find

justinf: it says here he was the data engineer guy, so that makes sense i guess, but his emails said project manager

justinf: http://www.answers.com/topic/tecmo-super-bowl-game-3

justinf: Data Tuner: T. Takasaki, J. Sakuraba, M. Matsumoto, N. Kameya

justinf: 2nd name there...

justinf: Jenyricho Sakuraba i think was his full name

justinf: only guy that ever emailed me back..what an idiot i am for losing those

justinf: googling him looks like he was the stat guy for the other tecmo sports games too

knobbe: I see posts all the time that have the statement "I'd love to ask the programmer X"

justinf: well we asked him specifically about ironhead heyward and why he was so badass in tsb3

justinf: his answer was awesome

justinf: :he's has the ironhead" or something like that

knobbe: i would completely expect that

knobbe: you don't happen to have that e-mail address, would you?

justinf: i might be able to get that.

justinf: i know another guy who works for tecmo usa.

knobbe: panhandle tecmo, were you the guys in nebraska?

justinf: no, Florida

knobbe: ah

justinf: Krell, Grogan, Chuck

knobbe: hmmm..did you have the site that had all the tsb iii oddities?

justinf: we coined the Hooptie, Rod-God, burned handles in effigy, had tecmo quirks

knobbe: i wonder if he still works there

knobbe: that would be pretty amazing if he did

justinf: been 10 years

knobbe: though i think its a japanese thing to work for the same company forever

justinf: it would be rad if he was there

justinf: man he would offer weird stuff like beta testing and what not...i never know that was rare or a big deal

knobbe: there is a beta version of tecmo bowl for the SNES that is out on rom form

justinf: do you have Spec Edition?

knobbe: i have them all

knobbe: even in genesis

knobbe: in the cartridge and rom forms

justinf: I don't have the genesis ones, i never had a genesis, i just have nes/ps1/snes carts

knobbe: from my experience, tsb i on the genesis was a little better than the snes version

knobbe: but the tsb ii and iii versions on the genesis are worse

knobbe: you know, it took me like 6 years to figure out you can cycle backwards through the receivers in the SNES versions

justinf: i think the tsb 1 for genesis is pretty clean though and not as cheap as the snes version

knobbe: the later genesis have unbearably crappy sound effects and music along with the computer loving to run the fake over the top

knobbe: which it then can fumble while laying on the ground

justinf: that's always awesome when it results in the unrecoverable fumble

justinf: that just bounces forever

knobbe: hmmm...it looks like the virgina tech site is down unless i'm just not finding it

justinf: http://www.vttfl.com/ gone!

knobbe: I'll e-mail those guys about bringing back their site

justinf: http://www.randatola.com/tecmo/index.htm

justinf: that's stuff from randy

justinf: from the original

justinf: whats nuts is i have all those photos

justinf: he didnt have a scanner

justinf: so he mailed them to me and i scanned and sent back to him.randatola.com/tecmo/index.htm

justinfarren: that's stuff from randy

justinfarren: from the original

justinfarren: whats nuts is i have all those photos

justinfarren: he didnt have a scanner

justinfarren: so he mailed them to me and i scanned and sent back to him

I remember some of those leagues back in the day, but don't remember the Panhandle League. I probably started checking out other people's league web-pages around 1995. In fact, the first time I think I ever searched the internet was to search for Tecmo leagues. I remember the Virginia Tech one vividly, and there was the Cincinnati one of course and one in Indiana I believe. Ah memories...

Nice panhandle pics, except I didn't need to see that ass shot.

• 7 months later...

Hey all. Was just thinking about Tecmo with the Bears and Colts in the SB and all. Grogan was one of the guys we talked with back then in our early chat room days. I played in console leagues from the original Tecmo Bowl all the way to the Playstation version.

I was in the Indiana Tecmo League where we had stats and summaries of every game of the seasons we played. talked with Grogan and Doug of the Cincinnatti league, and Cochese Blue from up in Seattle I believe. We had the Unofficial Tecmo Super Bowl Homepage which was pretty extensive with history of the games, heroes and villans of Tecmo, Tecmo Gods, etc. We even held a tournament in Bloomington one year (97 or 98). I think Doug from Cincy and 3 other guys from who knows where showed up and we played Playstation and SNES versions. My league was with Lee and Ken if anyone remembers 10 years ago

Anyways it's great to see Tecmo is alive and well, updated seasons, editing players and stats, internet play (which if I'm not mistaken me and Grogan or someone may have been one of the first to attempt it). As a working family man with 3 kids maybe you could beat me now, but back then I was pretty good.

Madden still sucks compared to Tecmo, keep up the good work.

Oh, and the Japanese programmers name was Junichi Sakuraba. The Tecmo USA guys name was Brian, still have the snail mail from him. I found Sakuraba's address searching all the search engines for Tecmo and finding a Japanese page that had an email link. Lost all this info, but they emailed me wondering what the names of the expansion Panthers and Jaguars were going to be, that was pretty funny.