Sign in to follow this  
mort1237

Team Review: Denver Broncos

Denver Broncos
A year after a super bowl appearance the 1990 Broncos went 5-11 and finished in last place. They would bounce back a year later to go 12-4 and win the division. In real life the Broncos were led by John Elway. in tecmo there standout players is Bobby Humphrey. Denver has a nice collection of pieces but a few holes here and there preventing them from being a great team.

Key Players (for entire roster go to tecmogeek.com/teams/broncos/)
QB John Elway 25 ms 75 ps 31 pc
RB Bobby Humphrey 63 ms 38 rec
Wr Vance Johnson 50 MS 56 REC
Wr Mark Jackson 44 ms 69 rec
K David Treadwell 69 KA 31 AKB
LB Karl Mecklenburg 44 RP 50 MS 56 HP
LB4 Simon Fletcher 50 RP 56 MS 38 HP
DB Dennis Smith 44 RP 56 MS 44 INT
Team strength Qb Mobility, running the ball and Simon Fletcher can do the lb 4 lurch.
Team weaknesses Qb ball control and pass defense.
Best matchups.
Vs Dal, Wash, Pitt, Rams, TB, SD
Other possibilities
Minn, Det, Mia, Ari, Atl
Stretching it
Jets, Cin, Oak
Watch the video below as we go further in depth on the Broncos

664 b.gif?host=tecmo101.wordpress.com&blog=4

View the full article

Mort, what's your record in these games you've put on youtube recently?  The few I've watched, your opponent has hung in there, but he hasn't been able to get over the hump and win one.   About Elway and his ratings....does that mean he has trouble hitting WRs that are running slants(for example) across the field?  As in his accuracy is way off and he throws wild passes off target if his WR isn't running a deep go route, or the WR is completely stationary?

The other thing I found interesting was that Mort looked very unimpressive with Green Bay, but that was a methodical offensive approach to control the game.  Very interesting to see that approach being used in TSB!  I don't know enough about TSB as I only play TB, but I'm starting to see the intricacies being used here by mort.  Good stuff.  I'm used to seeing bad players trying to chuck it deep all game, but the reward doesn't seem to come often enough. 

Tecmo super bowl is extremely strategic. It's as simplified or complex as the player wants it to be. I think that's the beauty of it and it's cult-like following. 

A coding error made Elway both more susceptible to INTs and throwing errant passes. If not for his faster legs he would be a bottom tier QB similar to BJ Tolliver. Slants are a difficult pass for any QB in TSB.

2 hours ago, OL' Dirty Tecmo said:

Tecmo super bowl is extremely strategic. It's as simplified or complex as the player wants it to be. I think that's the beauty of it and it's cult-like following. 

A coding error made Elway both more susceptible to INTs and throwing errant passes. If not for his faster legs he would be a bottom tier QB similar to BJ Tolliver. Slants are a difficult pass for any QB in TSB.

Thanks ODT.

I was reading a facebook exchange between Mort and Bruddog recently.  It was discussed how calling Run 3 or 4 invoked / enabled the best/most coverage by drones on WRs during pass plays.  There was some lingo attached to that which I didn't understand, but seemed clear to me the combination of calls between the defense and offense creates some absolute or definite re-occuring defensive reactions.  That principle is a staple in our playcalls, when we play OG Tecmo Bowl.  Definitely learned something there.  

I know very little about TSB, and really never play it.  I occasionally attend the TSB tourney in Lincoln NE, so every little bit of knowledge I can get here helps!