Johnny Johnson Season

sdu754

Started a Season as Phoenix to test out Tailback King's theory that JJ is better than his stats. I ran more than I normally would in the games that Johnson played
Game 1: 16 carries 165 yards 3 TDs 1 Catch 17 yards 0 TDs . Johnson did drop a wide open pass while standing still.

card1.jpg

Game 3: 9 carries 166 yards 3 TDs 0 catches Johnson fumbled once this game, it went out of bounds. He was injured toward the end of the 3rd quarter. At that point I switched to an all passing offense, and the offense came alive. Three TD passes in the fourth quarter for Rosenbach. Roy Green gets a lot of JJ catches, the most I ever had.

card3.jpg

Edited by sdu754

Game 4: Johnson out for the game, I went to Ron Wolfley as the running back. There really isn't much of a drop off running wise with Wolfley, but he did seem more effective as a receiver.

Wolfley: 15 carries 132 yards 3 TDs 3 catches 71 yards 1 Td. The computer picked Wolfley's runs more frequently in this game than the first three games, which accounts for the slightly lower yards per carry.

Through four games the player that has surprised me the most is Roy Green. He's had several JJ catches, and hauls in big TDs.

card4.jpg

Game 6: 15 carries 111 yards 6 TDs 1 Catch 46 yards 1 TD Dropped 2 wide open passes standing still. Apparently Johnson can not catch if he is standing still. The TD pass was on the pass San Francisco uses as it's fourth pass. I put it in to get the RB1 open on a deep route.

In this game I forced 5 fumbles on the Flea Flicker. I picked the Giants Run 2 every time and rushed in to stop the QB on pass 1 (a roll out) and pass three (Flea Flicker) On all five fumbles I grabbed Simms, wrestled him down, the grabbed Anderson so he couldn't pick up the fumble. I scored 3 defensive TDs and a safety (against the roll out). I also forced a fumble in the shotgun draw (run four). Set up three easy short field TDs for Johnson on the three fumble I recovered that the defense didn't score on.

Game 7: I forgot the screenshot. In this game Johnson got injured again in the third quarter. He had 18 carries 128 yards 1 TD 1 catch 37 yards.

Wolfley had 5 carries for 25 tyards. He caught 2 or 3 passes, but fumbled twice.

card6.jpg

Edited by sdu754

Game 8: JJ still out. Wolfley 15 carries for 92 yards 3 TDs and he fumbled once, and dropped a wide open pass. I'm only counting it as a drop if the receiver is wide open and standing still.

After eight games the stats stack up as follows:

Johnson: 93 carries 895 yards 20 TDs 7 receptions 103 yards 1 TD 4 drops

Wolfley:   35 carries 249 yards 6 TDs 13 receptions 256 yards 3 TDs I drop

Green:  15 Receptions 661 Yards 10 TDs at least 6 JJ catches no drops

Proehl: 9 receptions 121 yards no TDs maybe 1 drop

Rosenbach 46 comp 64 att 1250 yards 16 td 3 int 192.2 rating. The one INT was a pass that I knew I shouldn't have thrown as soon as I did it

I also made the mistake of putting in Tupa because he was in excellent condition he went 3 comp 7 att 64 yards with an INT

card8.jpg

Edited by sdu754

Game 11: I forgot to screen shot JJ stats: 13 carries 56 yards 1 TD 4 rec 31 yards 2 TDs. Johnson is finally starting to pay dividends as a receiver. This game was against the Giants, I forced 2 more fumbles on their flea flicker

Game 12: A hard fought match against the 49ers. I was losing 16-3 after Rice recovered a Rathman fumble behind the line of scrimmage and went 50 plus yards for a touchdown. JJ stats 16 carries 37 yards 1 td 3 rec 62 yards 1 td

card12.jpg

Avenged my only loss of the season quite easily. Took a completely different approach to defense this game, using the safeties mainly rather than Linebackers. Johnson fumbled, which was returned to the 2 yard line. I held the Eagles to a Field Goal. Vai Sikahema fumbled the ensuing kickoff, I held the Eagles to a long FG try, which they missed.

JJ stats: 19 carries 89 yards 2 tds 1 rec 35 yards

cardinals13.jpg

Hey.......hang in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You seem to be a pretty well rounded player......who leans toward the pass.  In that case, try putting Johnson at the top receiver on occasion...the things he does will suprize you.  I'm am going to post this {ORIGINAL} thread if you wanna continue what your doing there.  You can compare how your doing to my season, and other people on this site..........those #'s might astound you.  I am suprized on the # of drops he's had though...

2 hours ago, buck said:

fyi, your challenged is invalidated by changing PHX default plays.

The challenge was to see if JJ is a top player, not a PHX challenge. I changed to the plays that work the best. I wont do a "keep the original plays challenge" because I like changing the playbooks. It's part of the game and it doesn't make sense to handicap yourself.

Game 14: Beat Washington, it took a fourth quarter game winning drive to set up a FG try for the win.

JJ stats: 13 carries 76 yards 1 TD 2 rec 67 yards. JJ did fumble once in this game

Game 15: Close loss to Denver. JJ stats 13 carries -7 yards 1 TD 4 catches 45 yards 1 fumble 1 drop

Game 16 Beat the Saints. Don't let the score fool you, I scored 14 the unconventional way with 4 field goals and a safety
JJ stats: 14 carries 9 yards 3 rec 30 yards 2 drops & 2 fumbles

card14.jpg

card15.jpg

card16.jpg

Playoffs - This game made me mad. Washington broke 2 long runs with Byner in regulation , where I was thrown or knocked off for the two touchdowns. I had broken a long run with JJ and was weaving towards the end zone when he fumbled at the two yard line. Washington picked the ball up and returned it 30-40 yards. I was able to hold them and force overtime. I won the coin toss, Washington called my first two plays. On third down I throw an INT on an overthrown pass & Washington kicks a field goal for the win. That fumble on the two easily cost me the game.

Season Recap: Johnson Finished with 214 carries 1376 yards & 28 TDs 26 Receptions 393 yards & 4 TDs 10 fumbles (not counting playoffs) & 7 drops. 10 fumbles on 240 touches probably isn't that bad, but it also counts TDS & plays that went out of bounds.

I would say JJ is a good running back, but not the best player in the game. I went to him as much as possible to see how much he could do, including on passes. Rosenbach had a decent season: 105/179 2218 yards 25 TD 13 INT 24 carries 140 yards. The bulk of Rosenbach's carries were at the end of the season as were the INTs. Roy Green was the top receiver at 20 Rec 835 yards 10 TDs. Proehl, JT Smith & Ernie Jones all had decent seasons as well.

If there is a weakness to this team, it is having a weak QB duo. The receivers may be slow outside of Green (44 MS) but they can catch (all have 50 rec except Proehl at 69) JJ is a good, but not great RB, Wolfley was a good backup, but he was in good or excellent condition when I used him.

The Defense surprised me, it was quite solid. One of the best safety duos in the game with Young & McDonald, and solid CBs. I was able to hold every team in regular season below 100 passing yards. Monk hit a long JJ catch in the playoff game, putting the skins above 100. Ken Harvey is a good LB, but the other three are terrible. Nunn helps to disrupt along the D-line. The defense could use a second good LB, but other than that it was quite good.

playoff.jpg

jjseason.jpg

rosenbach.jpg

Edited by sdu754

For Comparison I did a Bo Jackson season
Game 1: 10 carries 328 yards 6 tds 1 fumble

Game 2: 17 carries 448 yards 8 tds

Game 3:   5 carries 225 yards 3 tds Injured in second quarter

Game 4: 19 carries 370 yards 7 tds

Game 5: 17 carries 317 yards 5 tds 1 rec 18 yards

Game 6: 29 carries 376 yards 8 tds

Game 7: 17 carries 333 yards 6 tds

Game 8: 24 carries 329 yards 5 tds 1 fumble

Game 9: 25 carries 361 yards 6 tds

Game 10: 1 carry 89 yards injured on first play

Game 11: Bo missed game

Game 12: 23 carries 270 yards 5 tds 1 fumble

Game 13: 25 carries 226 yards 2 tds 3 res 126 yards 2 tds

Game 14: 28 carries 146 yards 4 tds 1 fumble

Game 15: 11 carries 289 yards 3 tds

Game 16: 27 carries 251 yards 2 tds 2 fumbles

Playoff game 1: LA 36 Houston 10

20 carries 166 yards 2 tds 1 rec 23 yards 1 td Bo returned an on sides kick for a td

playoff game 2: LA 38 Buffalo 14

20 carries 247 yards 4 tds 2 rec 53 yards 1 TD

Superbowl LA 24 Washington 23

23 carries 70 yards 2 tds I was able to block an extra point, which was the difference in the game

I finished the season 16-0 Led the league in Points for & against, offensive total & rushing yards Defensive total pass & rush yards

Bo Jackson dropped only 1 pass, in the playoffs, though I threw very few to him.

Season totals 278 carries 4358 yards 71 tds 4 rec 144 yards 2 tds 6 fumbles

Bo Jackson is definitely the better runningback. JJ might be a better receiver, but with Fernandez, Gault, Brown Horton & Allen, do you really need him to be a receiver? On Phoenix, the receivers don't have the speed, but they have the hands.

Beuerlein had a very good season, but he wasn't asked to do much. Oddly, both INTs occurred in the same game as the last plays of each half in the game Bo missed on deep bombs hoping for a long catch. Those two INTs really shouldn't count against him, he threw no INTs in the playoffs. His rating of 226.4 may be one of the highest I ever had in a season. I played four seasons recently keep track of stats & it's better than what I did with Buffalo, Houston or Phoenix. I never threw a pass with Jay Schroeder.

bo.jpg

beuerline.jpg

Edited by sdu754

Good season recaps, but the #'s you put up with Bo are the typa #'s I put up with Johnson..........Bo doesn't have to do everything on that Raiders offense either....they have 3 Heisman Trophy winners who start for them, which makes it a hell of a lot eazier for Bo to do his thing.  

I actually sat Marcus Allen in favor of Steve Smith for blocking purposes. Tim Brown is a backup WR and returner, but I went with Bell for KR & Dyal for PR.

Bo carried the ball on most plays, he ran it 271 times vs 45 passes with Beuerlein. I never threw a pass with Schroeder. I ran exclusively with Bo except QB scrambles when he wasn't injured.

• 2 months later...