Northeast Ohio Tecmo Quarterly Meetup Group

8 hours ago, TheRook said:

The preliminary's sound very important in this kind of tournament since it nets you an advantage in the main tournament play.  During preliminary's are the matchups/teams decided by the usual coin toss.  Winner of toss names matchup, loser of toss picks team or player 1?

Do all prelims players advance to the main tournament even if they go 0-4?

For the main tournament, are you saying that the best record player gets to pick a team first and can take that team through the entire bracket if he wants?

For example let's say "Bob" gets best record.  He picks Eagles.  He uses Eagles in every matchup he feels they will win.  Only time he does not use them is when he plays "Jim" who has raiders.  "Bob" opts to take the raiders that round and its allowed since he has a better record than Jim.

I have never followed or watched the Kumite so if I am misinterpreting your description, please let me know.

The preliminary rounds will be standard Madison rules. Coin toss winner selects matchup, coin toss loser selects preferred team, coin toss winner gets P1.

Preliminary play is important as the players with the best record will get the best draft choices.  However, since the matchups each round are based on record and point differential, players will be unlikely to go 4-0 or 0-4. That being said, each player advances to the bracket portion in a smaller tournament like this with the chance to draft a team.  

Let's say Bob goes 4-0 and selects the Raiders with the first pick. He wins his first round matchup vs. the 16 seed who drafted the Rams but decides to keep the Raiders.  The 16 seed heads to the loser bracket with the Rams and Bob remains in the winners bracket with the Raiders.  Bob then loses his second round matchup to someone named Bill who drafted Miami. Bill could keep Miami or swap teams with Bob after the conclusion of the game and take the Raiders giving Bob the Dolphins and heading to the losers bracket since it will be double elimination. In the the loser bracket, Bob defeats another player named Brian with his new team Miami who has the Chiefs and decides to take the Chiefs from Brian.  Brian is eliminated after his second loss. Bob advances with the Chiefs to the next game.

In short, if you win you can keep the team you drafted or swap teams with your opponent. After your second loss, you are eliminated from bracket play.  This is slightly different from the Kumite as brackets were not double elimination and you could not swap teams.  Let me know if you have any other questions!

So it turns out I won't be able to make it this weekend on May 6th....despite it being my birthday we now have two First Communions to go to for nieces on both sides of the family and the wife said I am not to be excused! That being said - I'm glad to try to meet up again before Tecmo Cleveland in June or July if you guys want to go for it. I'm sorry for the late notice/cancellation - I've been in Fort Myers with the family on vacation for the last 2 weeks and we just got back to a heap of mail with the invites in them yesterday.

Also here's a promo for Tecmo Cleveland - 10% off - just for you guys - use promo code: "NortheastOhio" - this will get you 10% off registration - sorry again I won't make it this weekend. I put a cap on it to 16 uses so the first 16 guys will get 10% registration! 

Sorry again, I've been out of pocket and didn't get the invites until we just got back. Thanks. Tom

Edited by TecmoCleveland

On 5/1/2017 at 11:00 AM, TecmoCleveland said:

So it turns out I won't be able to make it this weekend on May 6th....despite it being my birthday we now have two First Communions to go to for nieces on both sides of the family and the wife said I am not to be excused! That being said - I'm glad to try to meet up again before Tecmo Cleveland in June or July if you guys want to go for it. I'm sorry for the late notice/cancellation - I've been in Fort Myers with the family on vacation for the last 2 weeks and we just got back to a heap of mail with the invites in them yesterday.

Also here's a promo for Tecmo Cleveland - 10% off - just for you guys - use promo code: "NortheastOhio" - this will get you 10% off registration - sorry again I won't make it this weekend. I put a cap on it to 16 uses so the first 16 guys will get 10% registration! 

Sorry again, I've been out of pocket and didn't get the invites until we just got back. Thanks. Tom

Thanks Tom! I just signed up and ready to go for Tecmo Cleveland. Sorry you can't make this meetup but I am sure we will plan another get together soon.

Hey guys looking forward to a good time! So just some venue information: I'll  be here around 10 am setting up / reaping tecmo souls. I don't serve alcohol but you are more than welcome to bring your own. I have a refrigerator to keep it cold. Food is open if you want to buy stuff or you can bring whatever you want as well. Looking forward to seeing everyone on saturday!

Thanks to everyone who came out yesterday to make the first NEO Tecmo Meetup a success at the Italian Garden in Mantua, OH!

We had 8 competitors so we changed the format where everyone played each other once in the regular season then had a double elimination playoff bracket. The format worked really well and with 4 systems setup, we breezed through the regular season quickly and players enjoyed some delicious food from our gracious host Chris H. (Tecmo Ninja).

While we may have been few in number, it was one of the most fun and laid back Tecmo events I have ever attended. Each competitor was guaranteed a minimum of 9 games (7 regular season followed by a double elimination playoff bracket).  Everyone there was a Tecmo veteran who had attended at least one previous Tecmo tournament and the competition was fierce (there were very few blowouts, most games were extremely competitive and close)

Congrats to Timbone who caught fire in bracket play with CIN and ended up taking first place!

We also let anyone interested (including a few spectators) get in on super bowl squares for the Championship game for $5 one of The Italian Garden employees ended up winning $50!

Will start giving some thought to our next event and also want to carve out time at that event to discuss who wants to join the NEO Tecmo Meetup Groups Fantasy Football League for the inaugural 2017-2018 season!

Here were the seedlings after the regular season and who they initially drafted for the playoff double elimination bracket:

If a player won, they could keep their team or switch teams with their opponent.

Players who inherited a team after losing were given the opportunity to switch to any other undrafted team.

Once a team was defeated and a player switched to another team, their inherited or original team was eliminated from play.

Seedings follwoing the regular reason (decided by regular season record, if records were even, head to head results affected seeding, then point differential was taken into account if records were taken into account).

1. Francis B. - CHI 

2. TK - KC

3. Jimmy N. - RAI 

4. Timbone - CIN 

5. Chris H.  - MIA

6. Ryan M. - PHI 

7. Louis B. - RAMS

8. Jon R. - SD

Round 1 - No Loss Bracket

1. Francis B. (CHI) def 8. Jon R (SD) - Francis kept CHI, Jon. R opted to switch to DET (SD off the board)

7. Louis B. (RAMS) def 2. TK (KC) - Louis stole KC, TK opted to switch to PIT (RAMS off the board)

6. Ryan M. Def 3. Jimmy N. (RAI) - Ryan stole RAI, Jimmy took PHI

4. Timbone (CIN) def 5. Chris H. (MIA) - Timbone kept CIN, Chris opted to switch to MIN (MIA off the board)

Round 2 - No Loss Bracket

4. Timbone (CIN) def 1. Francis B. (CHI) - Timbone kept CIN, Mort kept CHI

6. Ryan M. (RAI) def 7. Louis B. (KC) - Ryan kept RAI, Louis kept KC

Round 2 - 1 Loss Bracket

2. TK (PIT) def 8. Jon R. (DET) - TK kept PIT, Jon R. Eliminated after 2nd loss

3. Jimmy (PHI) def Chris H. (MIN) - Jimmy kept PHI, Chris H. Eliminated after 2nd loss

Round 3 - No Loss Bracket

4. Timbone (CIN) def 6. Ryan M. (RAI) - Timbone kept CIN, Ryan kept RAI

Round 3 - 1 Loss Bracket

7. Louis (KC) def 2. TK (PIT) - Louis kept KC, TK eliminated after 2nd loss

1. Francis (CHI) def 3. Jimmy (PHI) - Francis kept CHI, Jimmy eliminated after 2nd loss

Round 4 - 1 Loss Bracket

7. Louis (KC) def 1. Francis B. (CHI) - Louis stole CHI, Francis eliminated after 2nd loss

Round 5 - 1 Loss Bracket

6. Ryan (RAI) def 7. Louis (CHI) - Ryan stole CHI, Louis eliminated after 2nd loss

Round 6

6. Ryan (CHI) def Timbone (CIN) - Ryan kept CHI, Timbone kept CIN (1st loss)

Round 7

3. Timbone (CIN) def Ryan (CHi) - Timbone 1st place - $120, Ryan eliminated after 2nd loss, 2nd place $40

• 1 month later...