Northeast Ohio Tecmo Quarterly Meetup Group

When I was at the Detroit Kumite tournament last weekend, a number of players from the Cleveland area who I had never met before attended as well and we all had a great time!  Many of these guys already get together a few times a year to play casual Tecmo Super Bowl at various venues.  

I collected emails and some cell phone numbers for players that wanted to provide one.  This post is to see who would be interested in getting together potentially quarterly to play Tecmo Super Bowl and perhaps consider doing a Fantasy Football League in the fall for anyone who enjoys both Tecmo and Fantasy Football and lives in or near Northeast Ohio.

If this is something that interests you, please message me and provide your email address and cell phone number, as I will be creating a text distribution group in addition to the email distribution list once we finalize the initial details.  If you could also let me know ideas for places to meet, how many systems, cartridges, controllers and TVs you would be willing to share with the group, that would also be helpful.

The idea is to simply get a group of great guys together semi regularly who enjoy both Tecmo Super Bowl and NFL football.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.  More to follow after I collect everyone's thoughts and responses.
Edited by The Ultimate Weapon

Below are the details of our first Northeast Ohio Tecmo Meetup:

WhoFirst 16 guys to respond

What: Tecmo Super Bowl

When: Sat, May 6th, 12-5pm

Where: Italian Garden Restaurant 10511 Main Street, Mantua, OH 44255

Cost: $20,

Payouts with 16 participants:

1st: $160

2nd: $80

3rd: $40

4th: $20

Confirmed participants:

01. Ryan M.

02. Chris H.

03. Jason A.

04. Cliff P.

05. Steve R.

06. Clarence J.

07. John C.

08. Jon R.

09. Louis B.

10. Francis B.

11. Tom J.

Please let me know if you are able to bring any of the following:

-TVs

-NES Systems

-NES Controllers

-Tecmo Super Bowl Carts

-Extension cords

-Power Strips

If if you are able to bring any of the above items, please come 30-45 minutes early to help setup.

Format will be informal, decided the day of the event and depend on number of participants and systems available.

Most likely it will be some variant of the Detroit Kumite rules (TBD):

-Players with like records play each other for a few rounds

-Everyone advances to the bracket with a draft format excluding SF, NYG, BUF & HOU.   -Draft order based on records

This format allows everyone to play a lot of meaningful games and is extremely fair and laid back

Participants are welcome and encouraged to order from the menu and BYOB. I have eaten there a number of times and everything is great - the dough is homemade every day and they make awesome pizza (I also love the JoJos) below is a link to the menu. Hope to see you there!

https://www.orderstart.com/mobile/italiangarden#menuPage

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, TecmoCleveland said:

FYI - saw you guys and this thread, and that we're also from Northeast Ohio - I actually live in North Ridgeville and have been organizing one of the biggest Tecmo events in the area for awhile and just published this externally last week for open registration: 

I may come to your event too if it is open!

Hey man would love to have you join us! Please private message me with your name and email and I will add you to the confirmed list.  I would love to attend your event as well and excited someone wanta to throw a big Cleveland tournament.  I have a family member who told my wife and I to tentatively to reserve that date for a wedding but if anything changes I will sign up.

6 hours ago, TheRook said:

I recently moved to the Cleveland area for work related reasons.  Would be glad to come to this meetup as well as tecmo cleveland.  Will send you my info shortly

That's awesome man would love to have you join us!  I replied to your PM - please let me know if you have any questions

Update: a majority of the guys wanted to have an entry fee and payout so we will charge $20.

It will be well worth it.  We guarantee the following: 

- At least 4 rounds of preliminary seeding where players with like records face off each round

- A single or double elimination bracket where teams will be drafted based on seeding

- (SF, GIA, BUF, HOU excluded from the draft)

- If you win in the bracket round you can keep your team or swap teams with your opponent

- Payouts to the top 4 finishers ($160. $80, $40, $20 if we get 16 guys)

Let me know if you have any questions.

On 3/28/2017 at 9:14 PM, The Ultimate Weapon said:

Hey man would love to have you join us! Please private message me with your name and email and I will add you to the confirmed list.  I would love to attend your event as well and excited someone wanta to throw a big Cleveland tournament.  I have a family member who told my wife and I to tentatively to reserve that date for a wedding but if anything changes I will sign up.

I'll be out of town April 29 like I said - but let me know if you have another date over the summer and I am totally in. 100%. Big family trip planned to Disney! 

Be sure to spread the word about the tourny as well at your event! Thanks! Tecmo Tom

• 2 weeks later...

We will be changing the date to the following Saturday, May 6th - due to a scheduling conflict with the venue.  All other details will remain the same. I will reach out to everyone who previously registered to make sure they are aware and will retain their spot unless they tell me otherwise.  If you haven't registered and May 6th works for you, we would love to have you join us!

3 hours ago, The Ultimate Weapon said:

We will be changing the date to the following Saturday, May 6th - due to a scheduling conflict with the venue.  All other details will remain the same. I will reach out to everyone who previously registered to make sure they are aware and will retain their spot unless they tell me otherwise.  If you haven't registered and May 6th works for you, we would love to have you join us!

Still space to attend on May 6th? I'd love to be in if there is! I will be back in town that date and it's also my birthday! w00t! 

1 hour ago, TecmoCleveland said:

Still space to attend on May 6th? I'd love to be in if there is! I will be back in town that date and it's also my birthday! w00t! 

Absolutely! Please PM me with your name and contact info (email and/or cell) and I will add you to the list. We would love to have you join us and hopefully this can be a spring board for Tecmo Cleveland :) Any equipment you are able to bring would be a huge help as well.

1 hour ago, The Ultimate Weapon said:

Absolutely! Please PM me with your name and contact info (email and/or cell) and I will add you to the list. We would love to have you join us and hopefully this can be a spring board for Tecmo Cleveland :) Any equipment you are able to bring would be a huge help as well.

Just sent you a DM. Glad to help. 

On 3/28/2017 at 9:31 PM, The Ultimate Weapon said:

Update: a majority of the guys wanted to have an entry fee and payout so we will charge $20.

It will be well worth it.  We guarantee the following: 

- At least 4 rounds of preliminary seeding where players with like records face off each round

- A single or double elimination bracket where teams will be drafted based on seeding

- (SF, GIA, BUF, HOU excluded from the draft)

- If you win in the bracket round you can keep your team or swap teams with your opponent

- Payouts to the top 4 finishers ($160. $80, $40, $20 if we get 16 guys)

Let me know if you have any questions.

Can you explain exactly what you mean here?  I'm a little confused.  Can you give an example?

7 hours ago, TheRook said:

Can you explain exactly what you mean here?  I'm a little confused.  Can you give an example?

Sure! In round one all matchups are random... round 2 people with 1-0 records and 0-1 play each other... round 3 2-0 play each other 1-1, 0-2, etc.  After 4 rounds, everyone makes the bracket but draft position is determined by overall record then point differential.

This allows players of similar skill to face off and everyone gets a lot of meaningful games. This will be similar to the Detroit Kumite rules.

Let me know of you have any other questions.

2 hours ago, TheRook said:

When you say teams will be drafted, do you mean a bad player will get to play as eagles or raiders or something like that?

Short answer: No. Players with poor records will get a lower draft choice.

Long answer: Players with the best records after the initial rounds will draft first. For example a player who finished 4-0 gets first choice of any team except 49ers, Giants, Bills and Oilers. Then the next best record picks (point differential is used if players have the same records to determine order). So to answer your question, a team that goes 0-4 will pick 15th or 16th as opposed to 1st or 2nd. If a player wins in the bracket round they can elect to keep their team or steal their opponent's team.

The preliminary's sound very important in this kind of tournament since it nets you an advantage in the main tournament play.  During preliminary's are the matchups/teams decided by the usual coin toss.  Winner of toss names matchup, loser of toss picks team or player 1?

Do all prelims players advance to the main tournament even if they go 0-4?

For the main tournament, are you saying that the best record player gets to pick a team first and can take that team through the entire bracket if he wants?

For example let's say "Bob" gets best record.  He picks Eagles.  He uses Eagles in every matchup he feels they will win.  Only time he does not use them is when he plays "Jim" who has raiders.  "Bob" opts to take the raiders that round and its allowed since he has a better record than Jim.

I have never followed or watched the Kumite so if I am misinterpreting your description, please let me know.