Sign in to follow this  
TheFes75

All Time NBA top 5 at Each Position

Since there is a lull between the end of Football and the start of Baseball. Basketball is the sport of choice for most folks right now, so I thought I would ask who your NBA All time top 5 at each position are:

Here's Mine:

PG: 1. Magic Johnson 2. Oscar Robertson 3. Isiah Thomas 4. John Stockton 5. Jason Kidd

SG: 1. Michael Jordan 2. Kobe Bryant 3. Jerry West 4. Reggie Miller 5. Clyde Drexler

C: 1. Wilt Chamberlain 2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 3. Shaquille O'neal 4. Hakeem Olajuwon 5. Bill Russell

PF: 1. Karl Malone 2. Tim Duncan 3. Larry Bird 4. Charles Barkley 5. Bob Petit

SF: 1. Labron James 2. Elgin Baylor 3. Rick Berry 4. Julius Erving 5. Scottie Pippen

Honorable Mention: PG: Steve Nash SG: Bernard King C: Moses Malone PF: Kevin McHale SF: Dominique Wilkins

Edited by TheFes75

PG: Magic Johnson, Bob Cousy, Stephen Curry, Isiah Thomas, Jason Kidd

SG: Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Jerry West, George Gervin, Dwyane Wade

SF: LeBron James, Larry Bird, Julius Erving, Scottie Pippen, Kevin Durant

PF: Tim Duncan, Karl Malone, Bob Pettit, Kevin Garnett,  Dirk Nowitzki/Bob Mcadoo/Barkley

C: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, Hakeem Olajuwon, Shaquille O'neal.  

Notes: Curry is probably the most controversial, but I'd have to say that from all of the games I've watched of various eras, Curry is up there among the greatest point guards ever. SG looks to be set for the next few years. I can't see anyone challenging those five dudes for a spot in the top 5, now that Harden is a PG (and really has been for the last few years). Although I could argue that the traditional guard positions are dumb anyways. Kobe and MJ were basically PG's in the triangle, as was West later in his career. SF was difficult, since it's not really clear if Bird is a SF or PF, and there's great chance that Kawhi Leonard busts into this list. And you could make the case that Durant is a better player than Erving (skill only, not accolades or perception). PF is extremely heavy on the modern guys. The  PF position was beyond stacked in the 00's. I'm not as high on Barkley as some, since he seemed to be a ball-stopper and played very little defense (Nowitzki was better than him on D once you take away the soft euro stereotype). Anthony Davis has a shot of making this list in the future. Center was pretty much Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and then the other four guys in any order. Center is without a doubt the most competitive position in the all-time list. And unless Joel Embiid stays healthy and can fulfill his vast potential, I can't see any change to this list either. 

33 minutes ago, buck said:

Maravich not on any lists?  just a thought. 

He was kind of like the Iverson of his era. Respected by his peers and loved by the fans, but not quite as good as his highlights would make you believe. His flashy play was often detrimental to his team and resulted in a lot of dumb turnovers, and he didn't play defense. As far as SG's go, Gervin is the only guy who plays comparable defense (although from what I've seen, his defense wasn't all that terrible), but his scoring was on whole other level when it came to efficiency, enough of a difference to make up for Maravich's passing skills. 

It should be noted that he probably would've ended up a better player if he didn't play for his dad in college. Maravich was allowed to do whatever he wanted, which gave him some terrible habits that haunted him for the rest of his career. I made a video about him a few months ago, and i was disgusted by how Pete-centric that team was. Maravich was like all of the modern AAU stereotypes rolled into a single player and multiplied by a million. 

6 hours ago, PockyCandy said:

PG: Magic Johnson, Bob Cousy, Stephen Curry, Isiah Thomas, Jason Kidd

SG: Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Jerry West, George Gervin, Dwyane Wade

SF: LeBron James, Larry Bird, Julius Erving, Scottie Pippen, Kevin Durant

PF: Tim Duncan, Karl Malone, Bob Pettit, Kevin Garnett,  Dirk Nowitzki/Bob Mcadoo/Barkley

C: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, Hakeem Olajuwon, Shaquille O'neal.  

Notes: Curry is probably the most controversial, but I'd have to say that from all of the games I've watched of various eras, Curry is up there among the greatest point guards ever. SG looks to be set for the next few years. I can't see anyone challenging those five dudes for a spot in the top 5, now that Harden is a PG (and really has been for the last few years). Although I could argue that the traditional guard positions are dumb anyways. Kobe and MJ were basically PG's in the triangle, as was West later in his career. SF was difficult, since it's not really clear if Bird is a SF or PF, and there's great chance that Kawhi Leonard busts into this list. And you could make the case that Durant is a better player than Erving (skill only, not accolades or perception). PF is extremely heavy on the modern guys. The  PF position was beyond stacked in the 00's. I'm not as high on Barkley as some, since he seemed to be a ball-stopper and played very little defense (Nowitzki was better than him on D once you take away the soft euro stereotype). Anthony Davis has a shot of making this list in the future. Center was pretty much Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and then the other four guys in any order. Center is without a doubt the most competitive position in the all-time list. And unless Joel Embiid stays healthy and can fulfill his vast potential, I can't see any change to this list either. 

I had Cousy originally in my PG list but bumped him for Isiah Thomas.

I like your Gervin pick better than my Drexler pick.

I couldn't put Curry in the mix for point guard considering he has basically had 2 superior years in his career and played second fiddle to Monta Ellis when he first came up.

Dirk in the Power forward list should be a no brainer, but I missed him. Probably because I had Bird as a PF and you had him as a SF.

I think people overlook Elgin Baylor. He was the Michael Jordan/Kobe Bryant of the late 50 and 60's.

Nice list! Good on ya!

6 hours ago, PockyCandy said:

Which center would you put Robinson over? Olajuwon?

I'm not sure he belongs over any of the others, but he's right there on par with Shaq and Hakeem.  It's really subjective to make a top 5 list.  Nearly impossible, there have been so many great ones.  I like looking on Pro Basketball Reference at the similarity breakdowns.  A top 8 or 10 would be a lot easier to come up with :)

how about two separate NBA "eras" - maybe before/after 3-point era (or like, pre and post 1980)?  that would give a roughly +/-40 years (1946 to present).  makes sense to me.

Edited by buck

22 hours ago, meat said:

Will we ever see a dominant back to the basket center again ?

That is a great point.  I am guessing we will not, the way the game is played now.  Or it will be a while...  A generational big man like Wilt or Shaq would have to come along again.

29 minutes ago, rmm1976 said:

That is a great point.  I am guessing we will not, the way the game is played now.  Or it will be a while...  A generational big man like Wilt or Shaq would have to come along again.

Joel Embiid looks awfully good in the post......