Maynard_G_Krebs

NFL 2017-2018 Season Discussion

172 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Bolt said:

It's high time the Bears're relevant again.

Packers fan living in Chicago here.

Given the Packers-Bears rivalry irrelevancy over the last several years (hello, Lions and Vikings), I'm desperately hoping the Bears draft their QB-of-the-future this weekend. If the Bears select a QB on days 1 or 2 of the draft, I am buying every Bears fan in Chicago a beer. 

It sounds like Peterson is signing with the Saints. I was going to root for AD on his new team, as long as that team wasn't New Orleans. 

100 on-air personalities were just released from ESPN as a result of their audience for skewing over digital media platforms and ESPN not knowing how to properly monetize on those channels.

I personally "released" ESPN a few years ago.  ESPN is a joke.

28 minutes ago, buck said:

I personally "released" ESPN a few years ago.  ESPN is a joke.

The live sports on ESPN are still great, but everything else is a dumpster fire of crap. I have no idea why they shifted towards TMZ-style reporting either. A few months ago, I had a 20 minute break between classes and had decided to watch the TV in the cafeteria so I could see highlights of the previous night's NBA game. But instead of seeing highlights of LeBron and Kyrie Irving, I was subjected to 20 minutes of listening to "Did you hear what so and so said?" and "How do you feel about (team X) after this win and why?". I was like "JUST SHOW ME THE DAMN HIGHLIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!"

Most of the ones they axed (who I had actually heard of) deserved it in my opinion.  Never was a fan of Jay Crawford for example...  Biggest surprise was Ed Werder.

4 hours ago, PockyCandy said:

I have no idea why they shifted towards TMZ-style reporting either.

Kind of like how MTV went all reality-tv on the bit.  Seems like decades since they actually played music videos.  Oh, wait- it probably has.

A good model to follow?  AYE don't think so, Capt. Hooker (not YOU, I mean ESPN... they're like a prostitute).

Also, as expected Marshawn Lynch has joined the Raiders after his rights were traded from Seattle

Posted (edited)

The decline in coverage revenue forcing the layoffs is in direct correlation to the stunted growth in US pro sports casual fans. Worst yet, is that I agree with opinions on this forum that the hardcore fan is being turned off by the tactics put in place to capture more moderate fans. Moderate fan conversion into hardcore fan, clearly, is not processing as quickly as the coverage expansion itself on the multiple sports networks.

I think this is a sign that US sports coverage, for this generation, has nearly maxed out for the available audiences (casual and hardcore). Coverage segmentation is further inhibiting growth because no single network has taken a vastly different approach to coverage. All of the Networks basically run the same programming, but with different production budgets.

Part of me truly believes "sports coverage" has nearly reached as far as it can in the context of the current US market, as all growth is dependent on ad revenue. If not this year, by next year, I expect the % of growth in the asking price on Super Bowl commercial spots to decline, if they continue with the same amount of commercials as they have recently. 

^ This is part of the reason why I think Goodell and his stooges are talking about decreasing the amount of commercials during a game. 1. They appease the casual (and hardcore, but mainly casual) fans who are tired of 20 minutes of commercials every hour. 2. They can continue raising the costs of buying a commercial for their programming at a steady percentage, so they can report on a growth number that will appease the leadership, but hide the fact that viewership is down, and advertisers beginning to grumble about the return value of buying ad space for NFL programming.

Either way, in the next 5 - 10 years, I project the slow but steady decline in the growth of sports popularity in this country. Sports will always be popular, but the NFL for instance, has been banking on a percentage level of dynamic growth in their year-end ad revenue. That dynamic growth is about to take a significant hit, in my estimation.

Edited by Maynard_G_Krebs

Draft night is so much better if you just refresh reddit's NFL page every few minutes. You get to see the picks without hearing crappy commentary, and the reader comments can be pretty insightful (at times)

I was pretty surprised that the Chiefs made the jump to grab Patrick Mahomes II. I hope he can do well for us.

16 minutes ago, TecmoSuperFan said:

I was pretty surprised that the Chiefs made the jump to grab Patrick Mahomes II. I hope he can do well for us.

He's got all the physical tools to be successful, but how do you feel about him knowing the history of Texas Tech QBs in the NFL?

3 minutes ago, PockyCandy said:

He's got all the physical tools to be successful, but how do you feel about him knowing the history of Texas Tech QBs in the NFL?

I feel a little bit better than having a Clemson QB.

9 hours ago, TecmoSuperFan said:

I feel a little bit better than having a Clemson QB.

I was just thinking that Watson has a chance to be great, based on his clutch performances against the best competition and consistent winning in college.  And then I remembered that Vince Young was the same way LOL

I thought that this was a awesome and genuine display of emotion. Which is explains why everyone on Facebook hates it and thinks that he's a "thug". 

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, PockyCandy said:

I thought that this was a awesome and genuine display of emotion. Which is explains why everyone on Facebook hates it and thinks that he's a "thug". 

can't wait to see how ape he goes if he actually gets a tackle or a half-sack.  expect to see footballs getting literally fucked until they properly inflated.

and man, what a way to honor whoever that strong black woman in the picture is.

but I wouldn't call him a thug, just a fucking idiot, not unlike myself, cussing in front of the world as if it makes me a man.  cussing is a bad habit, I got it back in 6th grade and still have such a hard time with it I cuss in typewritten forum messages, just to keep it real. dawgg.

Edited by buck

^^^^^^ I'd but him some slack since he's a 20 year old being very emotional on the biggest day of his life. Now, if he was 30 and doing this stuff, then I'd be sorta concerned. 

Also, Buck, what do you think of this?

1 hour ago, PockyCandy said:

^^^^^^ I'd but him some slack since he's a 20 year old being very emotional on the biggest day of his life. Now, if he was 30 and doing this stuff, then I'd be sorta concerned. 

Also, Buck, what do you think of this?

I'm cool with that.  I get the jokes and Drew's emotion.  it's like, those PHI guys gonna sit there and try to talk trash on DAL, but Drew says, yo check the scoreboard, son.  DAL > PHI, basically.  and no doubt he's right.

7 hours ago, buck said:

can't wait to see how ape he goes if he actually gets a tackle or a half-sack.  expect to see footballs getting literally fucked until they properly inflated.

and man, what a way to honor whoever that strong black woman in the picture is.

but I wouldn't call him a thug, just a fucking idiot, not unlike myself, cussing in front of the world as if it makes me a man.  cussing is a bad habit, I got it back in 6th grade and still have such a hard time with it I cuss in typewritten forum messages, just to keep it real. dawgg.

this is funny as fook.

(and I haven't even seen the vid yet.)

Also, it occurs to me that Deion looks (there, at least) like Steve Harvey without a mustache.

On 4/25/2017 at 2:54 AM, Bolt said:

It's high time the Bears're relevant again.

NFL take note:  without it, your ratings will flounder

Also, too:  throw in the Eagles, &/or Dolphins

LjGyfrGDjB-10.png

20 hours ago, PockyCandy said:

LOTS going on here. 

How ironic is it that "Neon" Deion Sanders is pretending to give this kid life advice about channeling his energies? DS was the cockiest son in the 90s -- Packers fan, I remember it well.

It's also fitting, TSB style, to see DS interviewing the Falcons' draft pick.

Funny also that part of the entertainment for the draft, Super Bowl, etc. is seeing men cry in a socially acceptable way, which is to say achieving greatness, or failing at it. Deion: "but you gotta do it the right way." lol. If you gotta cry, I say cry, no matter the stakes. 

19 hours ago, davefmurray said:

There's the bona fide hope, but also the fact that they regularly have top picks in the draft, and if they don't then they'll take some goober like Johhny Manzeil. Always something to look out for. 

Packers fans be like: "Why stay up? Ted Thompson will probably trade out of the first round." (as he did this year)