Maynard_G_Krebs

NFL 2017-2018 Season Discussion

98 posts in this topic

It all makes for lovely discussion-fodder, though, doesn't it?

I think it's ducky.  Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust ducky

On 2/16/2017 at 10:30 PM, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

In case you haven't heard by now, they're making a Patriots Super Bowl run movie. Even I think this is a bad idea.

Will Marky Mark be playing Tommy?

On 2/15/2017 at 2:33 PM, Bodom said:

2-15-2017 3-32-13 PM.png

Poor browns.

Thanks for getting the ball rolling, Mangini.

https://idigitalcitizen.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/new-york-jets-old-facebook-timeline-cover1.jpg?w=640

5-11, Baby.

Edited by Bolt

In hindsight what I liked most about the Patriots victory - in particular, how it finished - was that they went for it from short yardage and goal-to-go much in the way the Seahawks did two years earlier, with a pass play; and, ironically, because they weren't throwing against the Patriots DEFENSE, they got another shot and immediately RAN it in, from short yardage...  Kind of funny, when you think about it.

In short, the moment - of the WHOLE game; not just 3 quarters - was too big for the Falcons.  And the Patriots rose to the occasion.

Also, I'm pumped for Vince Young to come back.  'Bout time ...

Edited by Bolt

Eric Berry's staying in KC with a 6 year, $78 million deal. Jamaal Charles on the other hand is being released.

John Ross just broke CJ1K's previous record of 4.24 by running it in 4.22 seconds. 

WR Brandon Marshall is staying in New York, as he and the Giants have worked out on a 2 year, $12 million deal

The Osweiler trade is hilarious. 😂😂😂😂

Posted (edited)

Too many trades to note them all, but there are some crazy ones, both in quality and economy. 

There's talk of Malcom Butler heading out shortly because of the CB trades. As a Patriots fan, it's Butler's legacy to be tarnished. It wouldn't bother me if Butler left. I expect it. It's the NFL; it's a free market system, and perceived value at times counts as much as true value. Butler is a good CB. Is he elite? No. He'll probably be a good CB somewhere else. But he is and only will ever be a player with legacy-based cache in New England. That's $$$ status. New England will always love him for 'the play,' but they'd enshrine him across the region, and by proxy the world really, if he was a 1-team player. 

But do you know whose departure really gets at me? Logan Ryan going to Tennessee. 

#1. Because fuck Tennessee.

#2. Logan Ryan is a DECENT player. The Patriots defense makes this guy a star at this position. Good job, Logan Ryan's agent for getting that deal, but fuck Logan Ryan if he thinks he's going to be half the player he is without the Patriots defense putting him in a good position to succeed.

This situation has Patrick Chung written all over it.

Edited by Maynard_G_Krebs

This free agency's really been a bummer in terms of action for the Chiefs. Yes i suppose the fact they resigned Berry doesn't help their cap space, but if you're going to let Charles, Foles, and Poe go at least make some sort of movement instead of waiting for the Draft to fill all those holes. 

2 hours ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

Too many trades to note them all, but there are some crazy ones, both in quality and economy. 

There's talk of Malcom Butler heading out shortly because of the CB trades. As a Patriots fan, it's Butler's legacy to be tarnished. It wouldn't bother me if Butler left. I expect it. It's the NFL; it's a free market system, and perceived value at times counts as much as true value. Butler is a good CB. Is he elite? No. He'll probably be a good CB somewhere else. But he is and only will ever be a player with legacy-based cache in New England. That's $$$ status. New England will always love him for 'the play,' but they'd enshrine him across the region, and by proxy the world really, if he was a 1-team player. 

But do you know whose departure really gets at me? Logan Ryan going to Tennessee. 

#1. Because fuck Tennessee.

#2. Logan Ryan is a DECENT player. The Patriots defense makes this guy a star at this position. Good job, Logan Ryan's agent for getting that deal, but fuck Logan Ryan if he thinks he's going to be half the player he is without the Patriots defense putting him in a good position to succeed.

This situation has Patrick Chung written all over it.

Go Vols *Rocky Top plays in the background*

Back on topic, If I were Butler or Ryan, I'd definitely stay in NE if NE was offering around the same amount as other teams. Bill Belichick is the GOAT defensive coach, isn't he? That means that Butler and/or Ryan would be guaranteed to play in a great defensive system for as long as Bill's there. But if the Pats lowballed Ryan, then more power to him for getting paid while he can. 

Annnnnnnnnd Brandin Cooks is now a Patriot for a measly 1st rounder that BB was probably going to turn into a second and future 3rd in 2034 anyways. What a steal. 

Posted (edited)

The Cooks trade is exciting. I'm just sorry for Danny Amendola that his time with the Pats is likely over with unless they roll back on expectations out of Gronk and wind up playing 1TE 3WR sets significantly more than they do now. Amendola has restructured his contract the past few years taking less money, outright saying that playing on a winning team means more to him than money. We'll see how far that goes. Honestly, all the FA moves have been exciting for the Patriots.

Jabaal Sheard leaving hurts a little, but Trey Flowers started to outplay him last year anyway. Chris Long leaving doesn't bother me much, and his DE trade replacement in Ealy is likely to produce at the same (or greater) capacity. Gilmore is an upgrade on Logan Ryan. 

If the Pats are able to sign Hightower and Butler, then what will already be talk about the Patriots heading back to the Super Bowl in 2017 is going to turn into shouts from the mountain top.

Either way, 2017 is shaping up to be a 2007-ish 'Go big or go home season' for TB12's 40th birthday. I'm not saying undefeated, but I am saying that it's going to be a fuck of a fun season to watch if you're a Patriots fan.

All this while you could argue the rest of the NFC East teams continue to degrade. It's almost as if they're all planning to build toward the day when Tom Brady retires, because that's how long it looks like they're going to need to come close to relevancy again.

Posted (edited)

So Foles is gone, Poe might be out as well... and what do us Chiefs fans have to show for it? retaining Daniel effing Sorensen. Definitely not the move i'd wanted. But then again, KC is too much of a small market like the Royals in MLB it's no surprise no big Free Agents ever come here except for J-Mac, but only because of Andy Reid.

Edited by TecmoSuperFan

Posted (edited)

Guys, I'm really sorry for all of your teams that the Patriots have won the offseason. Must be real tough on you all. :(:(:(

1 hour ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

Guys, I'm really sorry for all of your teams that the Patriots have won the offseason. Must be real tough on you all. :(:(:(

Signs Datone Jones, gets a new tackle to replace Matt Khalil, resigns Adam Thielen, brings back Terrance Newman, and gets rid of AD.

Other than not  resigning Cordarrelle Patterson, the Vikings have had a pretty decent offseason.  

Posted (edited)

That's true. Also, hybrid cars are economic in part because of their fuel efficiency. 

Also: Breaking news from Oakland as the Raiders got the go ahead to move to Las Vegas 31-1. Miami is the only one to vote no.

3 hours ago, TecmoSuperFan said:

Also: Breaking news from Oakland as the Raiders got the go ahead to move to Las Vegas 31-1. Miami is the only one to vote no.

The-Last-Boy-Scout__75.thumb.jpg.fbcc07a59b8338cbebf324a782db5c3d.jpg

9 hours ago, Bodom said:

HAFD.png

aka, "Choker's Day".  where people get super drunk to reminisce and mourn all the poor chokers and choking teams of modern times.  sorry to add this one, but 2007 New England Pats are among the honored on this therapeutic holiday.

Edited by buck

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By The Ultimate Weapon
      When I was at the Detroit Kumite tournament last weekend, a number of players from the Cleveland area who I had never met before attended as well and we all had a great time!  Many of these guys already get together a few times a year to play casual Tecmo Super Bowl at various venues.     I collected emails and some cell phone numbers for players that wanted to provide one.  This post is to see who would be interested in getting together potentially quarterly to play Tecmo Super Bowl and perhaps consider doing a Fantasy Football League in the fall for anyone who enjoys both Tecmo and Fantasy Football and lives in or near Northeast Ohio.   If this is something that interests you, please message me and provide your email address and cell phone number, as I will be creating a text distribution group in addition to the email distribution list once we finalize the initial details.  If you could also let me know ideas for places to meet, how many systems, cartridges, controllers and TVs you would be willing to share with the group, that would also be helpful.   The idea is to simply get a group of great guys together semi regularly who enjoy both Tecmo Super Bowl and NFL football.   Thanks in advance for your consideration.  More to follow after I collect everyone's thoughts and responses.
    • By Knobbe

View File TecmoBowl.org Presents: Tecmo Super Bowl 2017

Tecmo Super Bowl is the greatest sports video game of all time. Now, 25 years after TSB made 8-Bit legends of Bo Jackson and Lawrence Taylor, TecmoBowl.org proudly announces the release of Tecmo Super Bowl 2017. This site's 10th yearly iteration updates Tecmo's NES classic with up-to-date rosters, graphics, schedules and play books for all 32 NFL squads.  Additionally, you can now check the defensive conditions of your players.

Playable on multiple platforms and operating systems via NES emulation software, Tecmo Super Bowl 2016 brings Nintendo's bone-crunching classic to today's computers and handheld devices.

Will offenses fear Von Miller like they feared Lawrence Taylor? Who is the more deadly play-caller: Aaron Rodgers or Dan Marino? Will Todd Gurley live up to the hype? Loaded into an NES Emulator, Tecmo Super Bowl 2017 will make legends for the next 25 years.

Tecmo Super Bowl 2017

Table of Contents
      A. How This Works
      B. How To Play - PC/Mac
      C. How to Play Online - Windows
      D. Tecmo Super Bowl 2017 Notes
      E. Known Issues
      F. Credits

A. How This Works
      If you're new to emulation:
      ROM = Game or Cartridge (.nes file) Emulator = NES System  
      B. How To Play - PC/Mac
      Download Nestopia for your platform and also the .nes ROM -  Windows | Mac  Open Nestopia. From Nestopia, File > Open and find your .nes ROM. C. How to Play Online - Windows
      Setup for online play using our guide - http://tecmobowl.org/topic/53066-guide-get-started-playing-tsb-online-for-dummies/. We then recommend starting out at the TPC - http://www.tecmoplayers.com.

Most TPC players use the original Tecmo Super Bowl ROM, but you might be able to find some people playing TSB 2016. Remember that the versions of the game must be exactly the same or you will not be able to connect.

If you’re looking for an online league, we recommend TecmoBowl.org's Online Tecmo Leagues.

D. Tecmo Super Bowl 2017 notes
      Check Defense condition - In the same location as the time out menu there is now a "CHECK DEF" option which lets you scroll left and right through your players 4-3 Defenses - Several teams employ 4-3 defenses.  The "RT" (Right Tackle) will show up as the LILB on the rosters. 32-Team ROM Rosters current as of 9/7/16 Adjustable quarter length Playbook editing in-game Player 2 attributes now display correctly Halftime stats Pass Control determines if a pass will be completed. Passing Accuracy determines if the ball will be on target. E. Known Issues
      CPU can lock up under certain circumstances, most commonly a player 2 FG make. A hard reset (or open/close) of the emulator should clear the issue F. Credits
      Graphics - Keithisgood | @keithisgood Rosters/Attributes/Sim - Buck 4-3 Defense - Jstout Roster QA - Nathan from tundrabowl.com | @retronathan Promo - davefmurray | @davefmurray QA/Rom Merge/Project Coordinator - Knobbe | @tecmogodfather Thanks to:
      Jstout, Bruddog, Cxrom, Bad-Al & Buck for the hacking knowledge and tools. Members of TecmoBowl.org for helping beta test and for making this all worthwhile.  

Tecmo Super Bowl 2017 by TecmoBowl.org is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
      Based on a work at http://tecmobowl.org/.

Other 2017 Versions to try:
      @Tecmonster: http://tecmobowl.org/files/file/502-tecmonsters-tecmo-super-bowl-2017/
      @qbvikings: http://tecmobowl.org/files/file/500-qbvikings-tecmo-super-bowl-2016-2017/
      @fatcheerleader NCAA: http://tecmobowl.org/forums/topic/68903-nes-tsb-ncaa-2016/
      @Fernando 49 TSB III SNES: http://tecmobowl.org/forums/topic/69008-snes-tsb3-nfl-2016/
      @cowboyschamps TSB I SNES: http://tecmobowl.org/files/file/503-2016-2017-rosters/

Submitter Knobbe Submitted 09/08/2016 Category NFL By Year  
    • By Baron von Lector

View File NCAA Tecmo Bowl 2017
      This is NCAA Tecmo Bowl 2017!

Using the original Tecmo Bowl (not Tecmo Super Bowl), this ROM consists of 32 NCAA football schools.  I used a few different criteria when determining which of the 120+ teams to use in this game, from historical reputation (i.e. Notre Dame, Alabama), TB.org community interest (i.e. Syracuse, Purdue), recent success (i.e. Boise St., Oregon), and the military academies. 

Using the original Tecmo Bowl's ratings as a template, the players were rated based on 2015 season statistics, 2016 partial season statistics, various Heisman watch websites, and other sources.

Rosters, ratings, home/away uniforms, cutscenes, and other small details were updated to ensure this is as authentic of an NCAA experience as this 8-bit simulation can provide.

Aside from teams selection (as I'm sure not everybody will agree with my selections), if there are any glaring errors, please bring them to my attention.

Enjoy!

Submitter Baron von Lector Submitted 10/11/2016 Category Tecmo Bowl - NES  
    • By Baron von Lector
      This is NCAA Tecmo Bowl 2017!

Using the original Tecmo Bowl (not Tecmo Super Bowl), this ROM consists of 32 NCAA football schools.  I used a few different criteria when determining which of the 120+ teams to use in this game, from historical reputation (i.e. Notre Dame, Alabama), TB.org community interest (i.e. Syracuse, Purdue), recent success (i.e. Boise St., Oregon), and the military academies. 

Using the original Tecmo Bowl's ratings as a template, the players were rated based on 2015 season statistics, 2016 partial season statistics, various Heisman watch websites, and other sources.

Rosters, ratings, home/away uniforms, cutscenes, and other small details were updated to ensure this is as authentic of an NCAA experience as this 8-bit simulation can provide.

Aside from teams selection (as I'm sure not everybody will agree with my selections), if there are any glaring errors, please bring them to my attention.

Enjoy!

• By Baron von Lector

View File Tecmo Bowl 2017
      Amidst the sea of Tecmo Super Bowl 2017 releases, here's a ROM release for the original of the series, Tecmo Bowl 2017. 

This game contains all 32 NFL teams (expanded from 12).  There is also a feature that allows you to choose your CPU opponent, as opposed to originally letting the CPU choose, in Exhibition mode.

Rosters are based 99% off of depth charts provided by NFL.com and CBSSports.com, with a few exceptions taking into consideration suspensions (Tom Brady, Le'veon Bell) and other factors.  Statistics and ratings are based on those provided by Pro-Football-Reference.com.

A special thanks goes out to TheFes75 and TecmoTurd for their assistance.

In keeping with tradition, the original Tecmo Bowl (and Tecmo Super Bowl) were notorious for their "beasts," like Bo Jackson, Christian Okoye, QB Eagles, Mike Singletary, Jerry Rice, and more.  Well, Tecmo Bowl 2017 is no exception.  Some of the "beasts" (based on career bodies of work and current work) included in this ROM are:
      RB - Adrian Peterson, Chris Johnson
      WR - Larry Fitzgerald, Antonio Brown, Odell Beckham
      DB - Darrelle Revis
      DE/LB - James Harrison, JJ Watt, Ndamukong Suh
      KR - Devin Hester

Growing up, I preferred this version of Tecmo Bowl to Tecmo Super Bowl, despite the lack of the Pittsburgh Steelers in the game.  To this day, I prefer Tecmo Bowl to Tecmo Super Bowl for the sheer sit-down-and-play factor.

If there's anything glaring that I missed, please bring it to my attention.  Enjoy! 
      Submitter Baron von Lector Submitted 09/14/2016 Category Tecmo Bowl - NES