Maynard_G_Krebs

NFL 2017-2018 Season Discussion

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the badass teams - with a view to the long-term [this-season/postseason] - in league right now, are:

Seattle

Philadelphia

New Orleans

Minnesota

Pittsburgh

Kansas City

on-edge:  LARams, New England

Edited by Big fan of Fentry, mahself
clarification.

8 hours ago, Big fan of Fentry, mahself said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the badass teams - with a view to the long-term [this-season/postseason] - in league right now, are:

Seattle

Philadelphia

New Orleans

Minnesota

Pittsburgh

Kansas City

on-edge:  LARams, New England

Anytime I see someone put New England in a wildcard hunt, I know they're a hater. You're rankings are immediately irrelevant.

32 minutes ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

Anytime I see someone put New England in a wildcard hunt, I know they're a hater. You're rankings are immediately irrelevant.

You sound butthurt.  Is your homer-vision betraying you?

If the Patriots were better, I'd make it a Top-7;  NO QUESTION.  But they're currently not worthy of "badass" status... except in as much as you're butthurt.  (They're borderline.)

3 hours ago, Big fan of Fentry, mahself said:

You sound butthurt.  Is your homer-vision betraying you?

If the Patriots were better, I'd make it a Top-7;  NO QUESTION.  But they're currently not worthy of "badass" status... except in as much as you're butthurt.  (They're borderline.)

New England can clearly beat at least three of those teams. Your rankings are a fallacy.

1 hour ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

New England can clearly beat at least three of those teams.

But (even if that were "clear," and it's not) - for the patriots - that doesn't make them badass.  Badassedness is relative.  Think, boy, think!

Patriots lack confidence at this stage...

If you don't think your team's got problems, you're not a true fan.  When Bodom sees this, he'll reprimand you.

Not to mention, they'll get their first true test - other than losing twice at Home (to CAR / Kansas City) - when they lose to PIT, mid-December.

P.s. - Patriots could barely beat RAMS, if that.  (Although I would love to see that rematch, and the patriots get smashed.)

/\

Love the back and forth.

I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle.  MGK puts the Pats at 1/2, the poster formerly known as bolt puts the Pats at 7/8.  Personally, I see them in the 4.257369 range.  Major problems at OL & LB, but it's hard to write off the GOATS.  While my interest in the NFL is declining, I appreciate the parity this year.  There's 8-9 teams that have a real shot to win this year which will keep things interesting.  Ultimately I think injuries will play a major role this year since the gap in talent is so close.

Week 15 Pats/Steelers should reveal a lot.  I've always liked Ben, but feel he's declining - and Tomlin is mediocre, but Brown/Bell are explosive and their defense is championship caliber.  KC kicked our ass and I like Reid as a coach, but won't trust them in the playoffs until proven otherwise.  I like what's happening in Philly and LA(Rams), but have the same reservations as KC.  Seattle is Seattle.  NFC is anyone's game.  Except the Giants... f*ck them.

I think right now, there are only four teams that stand absolutely no chance at making the playoffs--Browns, 49ers, Giants, and Colts (we're still awaiting the Cardinals and Texans to see how they handle their current injury situations, while the Bucs' situation are becoming increasingly dire--so far, those three teams are looking to be longshots at best at this point).  And there are about three teams in the AFC and four or five in the NFC with a realistic shot at a Super Bowl--Patriots, Steelers, Chiefs, Eagles, Vikings, Saints, Rams, and Seahawks.

Concerning the Patriots, for now, I have them at number 3 on my weekly power rankings, with a shot to improve at number 2 if the Chiefs lose to a highly motivated Cowboys squad.  They could move up to number 1 if the Broncos somehow upset the Eagles--it's do-or-die for the former at this point.  But at this point in time, I'm thinking of them as more of a longshot contender at best (even with all the injuries the Texans have sustained, I still at least enjoy their shot at playoff contention than that of the Broncos.

So, pretty much everybody else not in the top or bottom 8 of my weekly power rankings are a bit wild and random.  There are plenty of playoff contenders, but also plenty of dark horse candidates.  At this point in time, the injuries are not as important as how the coaches and the players deal with them.  The Vikings are plagued by injuries, and they're doing very well.  We'll probably gain a better picture of what everybody else in the league will look like today.

7 hours ago, Big fan of Fentry, mahself said:

But (even if that were "clear," and it's not) - for the patriots - that doesn't make them badass.  Badassedness is relative.  Think, boy, think!

Patriots lack confidence at this stage...

If you don't think your team's got problems, you're not a true fan.  When Bodom sees this, he'll reprimand you.

Not to mention, they'll get their first true test - other than losing twice at Home (to CAR / Kansas City) - when they lose to PIT, mid-December.

P.s. - Patriots could barely beat RAMS, if that.  (Although I would love to see that rematch, and the patriots get smashed.)

This is all bullshit. You have a bullshit brain that is apt for bullshit thought because you've lived outside of New England for the past 20 years.

Losing games early in the season means nothing for a remodeled Patriots team. Did I say the Patriots didn't have issues? Nope. They especially do if we're immediately comparing them to the team that won the Super Bowl in historic fashion.

But to think that they're underdogs to the teams you quizzically said are "badass," given that most of them haven't won an important post-season game in this century, or when teams like the Steelers get smoked by the Pats anytime it's an important game, is again, laughable.

You Patriots haters grasping for straws, as always. I still need to see the Patriots get more consistent at certain positions, that's for sure, but to say teams like the Steelers, or New Orleans, or f*cking Minnesota of all f*cking deplorable teams have it out for the Pats is baffoonery, plain and simple.

You started your post with "correct me if I'm wrong..." Well, I'm correcting you, per your request.

Edited by Maynard_G_Krebs

Just now, PockyCandy said:

Oh MGK, Minnesota's pass rush would do some NSFW things to Brady and the Patriots' o-line. You know this is true. 

I do not. I'm not convinced Minnesota has any ability to keep their shit together on the big stage, against the belle of the ball. If you can point me to a recent game where Minnesota has showed up when it's counted most--I have a 10-spot for you.

48 minutes ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

I do not. I'm not convinced Minnesota has any ability to keep their shit together on the big stage, against the belle of the ball. If you can point me to a recent game where Minnesota has showed up when it's counted most--I have a 10-spot for you.

lol I have no faith in my team (mostly the offense) to not shit the bed in crunch time either. But that doesn't mean that the defensive line wouldn't murder Brady. 

Teams the Patriots can definitively beat this year.....

Miami Dolphins

Buffalo Bills

Pittsburgh Steelers

Denver Broncos

Oakland Raiders

Philadelphia Eagles

LA Rams

Seattle Seahawks

I'm leaving out the Vikings because I honestly think the Patriots would lose in that sort of Super Bowl matchup.  I'm excluding teams the Patriots do not and presumably will not play as well.  No point mentioning the Browns, 49ers or Giants given how awful they are; same goes for other teams like the Lions, Packers, Bears, or Cowboys since neither team have much of a chance at getting to the playoffs, much less the Super Bowl (although if the Cowboys were to somehow go undefeated the rest of the year, they'd win the division).

And the Seahawks lost!  One thing's for certain; the Redskins refuse to go away, and yet nobody's paying any attention to them.

Also, the Patriots are second behind the Eagles for best teams in the league at this point in time.

And my Power Rankings are starting to look a bit more fleshed out.  Patriot fans should appreciate the rankings somewhat (they're not number 1 this week, nor will they be next week because of the Eagles' record).  And yes, it's looking pretty clear at this point which NFL teams have literally no shot whatsoever at making the playoffs, which teams look like Super Bowl contenders, and most importantly, which teams refuse to go away under any circumstances (looking at you, Redskins, Jets and Raiders).

However, we still have one more game to go--Green Bay Packers vs. Detroit Lions.  And this matchup may very well tell us a few things about both of these teams going forward.  Though to be fair, the Packers are not going to rank higher than Dark Horse.  Right now, they're a Longshot.  Again, my tiers are thus:  Super Bowl Contenders, Playoff Contenders, Dark Horses, Longshots, and Laughingstocks.  Right now, the lists look a bit like this:

Super Bowl Contenders:  Eagles, Patriots, Steelers, Vikings, Saints, Rams

Playoff Contenders:  Chiefs, Panthers, Seahawks, Bills, Titans, Jaguars

Dark Horses:  Redskins, Falcons, Lions, Ravens, Raiders, Dolphins, Cardinals, Jets

Longshots:  Packers, Bears, Chargers, Bungles, Texans, Colts

Laughingstocks:  Broncos, Buccaneers, Giants, 49ers, Browns

I'm omitting the Cowboys due to the Ezekiel Elliot suspension thing going on, and thus, it's difficult to truly gauge where they'd truly rank since there's no telling when or if the suspension will be upheld this season.

Be as it may, provided the suspension is pushed back the rest of the season, the Cowboys could very well climb up from mere Playoff Contention to Super Bowl Contenders.  After all, if the Cowboys were to go undefeated the rest of the way, they would automatically win their division, and presumably a first round playoff bye as well.  Keep that in mind when you realize that the Cowboys have yet to face the Eagles this season, and the Redskins 4 losses all came against some of the best teams in the league in the Eagles (twice), Chiefs, and now Cowboys.  And they barely scrounged up a win in Seattle of all places, too, which, by and large, makes them the most impressive dark horse team in the NFL.

Oh, and just for the record, by the time all the byes are accounted for, the Longshot rankings will be officially gone since none of them would have a realistic or practical shot at the playoffs by that point in time.  So eventually, I'll change the tiers to No-Chance and Eliminated respectively.  Dark Horse may also become rather redundant, but I'll keep it around anyways since they probably won't be outright eliminated from playoff contention until very close to the end anyways (they look highly mediocre anyways).

manyard_genius_krebs - Your dip-shit questioning of Brain, got me to embarking on a fresh new project.

Thru Week-8, (only):

Here - for Bolt's Ranking-Configuration {aka, riddims} Section, above - is a depiction of each Team - victim's combined record / Win%.

This is comprehensive.  Don't you cry, tonight . . .

T   -   v

K.c - 25-20 / 56%

N.O - 19-18 / 51%

Pit - 22-24 / 48%

n.e - 20-24 / 45%

Min - 18-27 / 40%

lar - 13-24 / 35.1%

Phi - 18-34 / 34.6%

Sea - 11-26 / 30% 

You see, there is a reason Seattle just-lost to Washington (... beit at Home, beit at the barnyard).  Yet, the irony is, Seattle could STILL kick New England's ass.  Oh beautiful Glory.  Glory be unto God.

13 hours ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

This is all bullshit. You have a bullshit brain that is apt for bullshit thought because you've lived outside of New England for the past 20 years.

Losing games early in the season means nothing for a remodeled Patriots team. Did I say the Patriots didn't have issues? Nope. They especially do if we're immediately comparing them to the team that won the Super Bowl in historic fashion.

But to think that they're underdogs to the teams you quizzically said are "badass," given that most of them haven't won an important post-season game in this century, or when teams like the Steelers get smoked by the Pats anytime it's an important game, is again, laughable.

You Patriots haters grasping for straws, as always. I still need to see the Patriots get more consistent at certain positions, that's for sure, but to say teams like the Steelers, or New Orleans, or f*cking Minnesota of all f*cking deplorable teams have it out for the Pats is baffoonery, plain and simple.

You started your post with "correct me if I'm wrong..." Well, I'm correcting you, per your request.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQi4dMVfi14