Maynard_G_Krebs

NFL 2017-2018 Season Discussion

7 hours ago, Knobbe said:

Carolina vs Philly shouldn't be a Thursday game.  I'm completely on the terrible matchups (or...none) should occur on Thursday bandwagon

Agreed. They are still trying to make Thursday the second MNF but the populous doesn't care about TNF. Also, the NFL is tanking and no one knows how to fix it.

I am genuinely curious how long Goodell hangs on. It appears as though trying to not talk about CTE, the move to LA debacle and a myriad of other decisions have put the game in a weird spot. I wouldn't say in jeopardy. I will definitely be interested to see the viewership numbers for the NBA vs the NFL this year as a trend. NBA has been on a rise for a few years, NFL in decline.

2 hours ago, davefmurray said:

Agreed. They are still trying to make Thursday the second MNF but the populous doesn't care about TNF. Also, the NFL is tanking and no one knows how to fix it.

I am genuinely curious how long Goodell hangs on. It appears as though trying to not talk about CTE, the move to LA debacle and a myriad of other decisions have put the game in a weird spot. I wouldn't say in jeopardy. I will definitely be interested to see the viewership numbers for the NBA vs the NFL this year as a trend. NBA has been on a rise for a few years, NFL in decline.

How you evaluate Goodell depends on the metric you use; I think most of the owners have revenue at the top of the list.

From 2016: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbelzer/2016/02/29/thanks-to-roger-goodell-nfl-revenues-projected-to-surpass-13-billion-in-2016/#1f9c23e41cb7

From 2017: http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2017/03/06/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/NFL-revenue.aspx

TNF from a football quality standpoint is a bad idea; the games and players aren't as good on short rest and you're probably going to injure guys. From a revenue standpoint, it's a no-brainer in the short term at least.

LA debacle?  Not having people show up at temporary stadiums is a short term issue that will be fixed once they're playing in that new stadium.  Having football back in LA should be a long term win for those teams and the league.

At some point Goodell's management and PR bungles might cost him his job but he's going to have to do significantly worse than he's doing right now because at the end of the day he's bringing in dat money.

I think Goodell's tenure lasts as long as he can continue convincing ownership that the NFL's play for international markets is gaining traction. If local revenue via TV drops, and international traction doesn't pick up, I think Goodell could be out. Dude is savvy, though, and can work together the necessary partnership packages across industries to keep the annual growth happening.

Let's be clear, though. Dude is a scumbag, and I'm pretty sure most of the public watch him with a constant stream of skepticism, which is not a good look for the face of the NFL brand.

Edited by Maynard_G_Krebs

1 hour ago, Knobbe said:

While all are correct, these articles are both old and not discussing the current sports climate. TV revenue pays all the NFL bills. TV viewership is loowwwwww (every sport). Two teams moved to LA, where the modern sports fan is apathetic at best (Remember Clippers vs Lakers?), additionally, it is one of the top cord-cutting regions by average age and location.

I just looked via quick Google and Super Bowl viewership has been on a 3 year decline. I think the pro football product is getting boring. The sports fan has too many other options. IMO, you can't reinvigorate apathy by adding bells and whistles to a TV broadcast that our generation, by and large, isn't watching.

He may hang on. His letter to stand during the anthem should be an interesting storyline to watch. I am not being political but mean that how will the fans and players react? You would obviously think the fans would cheer and the players revolt, but I am more interested in the product itself. Will it suffer? Get better? We'll see.

2 minutes ago, davefmurray said:

While all are correct, these articles are both old and not discussing the current sports climate. TV revenue pays all the NFL bills. TV viewership is loowwwwww (every sport). Two teams moved to LA, where the modern sports fan is apathetic at best (Remember Clippers vs Lakers?), additionally, it is one of the top cord-cutting regions by average age and location.

I just looked via quick Google and Super Bowl viewership has been on a 3 year decline. I think the pro football product is getting boring. The sports fan has too many other options. MIO, you can't reinvigorate apathy by adding bells and whistles to a TV broadcast that our generation, by and large, isn't watching.

The renegotiation of those TV rights in a few years will determine whether or not anything you've laid out here matters.

4 minutes ago, davefmurray said:

He may hang on. His letter to stand during the anthem should be an interesting storyline to watch. I am not being political but mean that how will the fans and players react? You would obviously think the fans would cheer and the players revolt, but I am more interested in the product itself. Will it suffer? Get better? We'll see.

Whatever happens, it's Goodell being reactive instead of proactive.  If the decision is either A or B he won't seek out C....because almost anything else other than generating revenue his leadership has been lacking.

The NBA has everyone standing during the anthem and approximately 25% of the players are international. Consider that for a moment as the NFL burns on.

10 minutes ago, Knobbe said:

The NBA has everyone standing during the anthem and approximately 25% of the players are international. Consider that for a moment as the NFL burns on.

I'm looking forward to seeing if this still holds true when the season comes. I doubt any player is going to try to protest the NBA's stand-for-the-anthem rule prior to the start of the televised regular season, when the most eyeballs are committed to viewing. My worst cynical self also wonders if NBA players will take a stance, given the volume of $$$ they make in comparison to most NFL players. Is $$$ going to buy silence in this case? Perhaps so!

Just now, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

I'm looking forward to seeing if this still holds true when the season comes. I doubt any player is going to try to protest the NBA's stand-for-the-anthem rule prior to the start of the televised regular season, when the most eyeballs are committed to viewing. My worst cynical self also wonders if NBA players will take a stance, given the volume of $$$ they make in comparison to most NFL players. Is $$$ going to buy silence? Perhaps so!

The big difference to me is that the NBA provides a lot of other alternative ways for guys who want to use their status to further or raise awareness for a cause. 

You also have this piece of information

"Ratings are down for everything, except for cable news. Out of 78 prime-time broadcast series that aired in both 2016 and 2017, only one—ABC’s The Bachelor—increased viewership among people under 50. Just about every live sport is dealing with the same problem. NASCAR, although praised by Trump for its fealty to the national anthem, opened its most recent playoffs with the lowest ratings ever. Last year, the NBA had some of its lowest-rated games ever, as well." 

So Ezekiel Elliot's suspension was reinstated.  No doubt as payback revenge a message karma against Jerry Jones for even daring to force his teammates to stand for the National Anthem.  My sincerest condolences, Cowboys fans; you are fucked this season!  But don't worry; the Giants are in an even worse situation than they are with their entire receiving core utterly wiped out!  Only one of their wide receivers currently isn't on IR, and he's expected to miss out a couple of weeks!  Also, one of their best defensive players is suspended by the Giants indefinitely.

Also, one of the Titans' wide receivers says he'll retire if he's forced to stand for the Anthem.  Go ahead and retire you thankless piece of shit!  It says a lot when even the Colts look more stable than the Titans--who had a ton of promise to actually make the playoffs this season!  And if players in drove decide to protest the Anthem, then just replace all of them with people that actually DO want to play the game!  Maybe then, that will mean the Washington Redskins will finally end their Super Bowl drought!

Patriots at the half:

I'm still not worried about this team. Everyone is showing progress, for the most part. 

- Brady is forcing the ball downfield. It's the first time in a long time I've seen him this impatient. Dude is pissed off right now.

- Cook's second week in a row of looking upfield prior to making the catch, resulting in a drop. 

- Danny Amendola is impressing the shit out of me. He's not only being put into Edelman pass catch situations (middle of the field, vulernable), but he's also doing great work as a punt return guy. Really impressed by Amendola's body of work this year. 

I'm looking forward to the second half and seeing what alterations the Patriots make.

Oh, and Malcom Butler is on a contract year, and is trying too hard to make big plays. Sure, he had an INT prior to the half, but he's playing like it's the Wild West out there, and getting burned more often than putting himself in a position to make a safe play. I'm not convinced that the Patriots are going to make a contract play for him at the end of the season. That being said, with the way he's playing, I'm not sure other teams are going to either at the kind of contract he's looking for.