Maynard_G_Krebs

NFL 2017-2018 Season Discussion

10 hours ago, buck said:

Wow, pats handed the game to the bucs multiple times. Bucs, particularly Winston, sux hard. Folk ought to be fired, what a joke.

Thursday Night football! Wish we could have had the Colts vs 49ers or Jets vs Browns and saved this game for Sunday.

3 hours ago, Knobbe said:

Thursday Night football! Wish we could have had the Colts vs 49ers or Jets vs Browns and saved this game for Sunday.

Yeah you're right, both teams looked like they didn't want to play

Okay. So as I peek around Patriots-related social media, I'm getting completely disgusted by fan response to this year's team. I know that most of the country doesn't like the Patriots. They've been winning for 2 decades. I'm sure that gets tiring for other fan bases. But, honestly, f*ck you poor losers.

That being said, seeing these Patriots fans decry this team makes me sick. This year's Patriots team, even in their ups-and-downs of the season so far, are clearly better than most NFL teams. We've just barely scraped by the 1/4th mark of this season, and I see these spoiled f*cking rotten fans claiming to be 'giving up' on this year's team because they don't see this team like they have year's past.

I wish that I could bitch slap all of these fans. If any single one of them had the ability to actually digest what was happening on the field, they'd see very clear places where players can do and WILL do better as the season rolls along, barring injury.

F*cking nitwits need to learn how to watch football. F*cking nitwits have to stop paying attention to stats that don't tell the whole story. Watch the WHOLE F*CKING PLAY, and not solely what player has the ball at any given point, or what defensive player is closest to making a play on the opposing team.

F*cking luke warm, moderately-informed football fans make me f*cking sick. Either learn how to watch the game, the WHOLE game, or just shut the f*ck up and let the adults make the honest criticisms. Go back to watching the Kardashians and TMZs of the world, you worthless, shit-eating, moderate fans.

F*ckwits.

Edited by Maynard_G_Krebs

The irony of course is that Patriot fans more than anybody else should have known by this point in time that the team would eventually decline.  I never took the Patriots out of the top 10--it required watching this team barely beat a suddenly hot rookie QB at home before I decided to remove them from the top of my power rankings, and then I removed them from the top five altogether following their upset loss to a Panthers offense that was otherwise decimated by injuries.  If there's anything to be proud of, at least Tom Brady remains the best QB in the NFL.  Sure, he just threw his first interception of the season, and lost a fumble, but both these things were expected to happen eventually anyways.  Their defense still needs work, but at least they have done a good job relegating the majority of the Bucs' 400+ offensive yards to mere garbage stats (sure, their kicker was lousy, but it meant keeping the Bucs out of the endzone, and by all accounts, scoring defense is by far the most important defensive stat that there is).

Is it enough to put the Patriots back up in my top 5?  Eh, we'll wait and see next week.  The Broncos will remain locked in their position (and if they move anywhere, it might be up or down one slot depending on how other football teams in the top ten have played).  The Falcons also have their bye week, so they're locked in place in the top five.  And unless the Chiefs get their asses handed to them by the Texans, they're likely going to stay up in the top five regardless.  So it ultimately depends on how well the Packers, Lions, and Steelers play against the Cowboys, Panthers, and Jaguars respectively.  I suppose one must also consider teams like the Bills and Panthers who are just sitting there in the top ten.  Though if anything, I'm sort of rooting for the Bills to end their longtime suffering.

Weekly rankings don't mean sh*t to me, because most of the time, they're largely based on game 'highlights,' and not a holistic assessment of how a team's personnel fulfill in their individual positions, as well as add to the greater team's effort. The progress they either do or don't show in the necessary areas when compared with how they've performed in previous weeks or years. No one that I know has the time to watch every game, every play in comparative holistic review. I don't expect to be able to critique an out of market team's growth or decline in the same way I expect few people to be able to have my vantage point of the Patriots evolution. Which is why if I ever do a total team roundup, it's usually when the season is just about over, and through hindsight, I can assess the general body of work. And which is also why most all of these fandom weekly power rankings can eat sh*t. 

This is why I love James Jones {an da hoodie}:

on 'NFL Players Only' (nfl network) just-now he

named "J-E-T- Jets! Jets! Jets!" his Biggest

Surprise team (so far),

AND

Todd Bowles his Coach O da Year prediction

4b44ddebd265cf9236b56c37b8a5ac3d--green-

Edited by Bolt

1 hour ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

Weekly rankings don't mean sh*t to me, because most of the time, they're largely based on game 'highlights,' and not a holistic assessment of how a team's personnel fulfill in their individual positions, as well as add to the greater team's effort. The progress they either do or don't show in the necessary areas when compared with how they've performed in previous weeks or years. No one that I know has the time to watch every game, every play in comparative holistic review. I don't expect to be able to critique an out of market team's growth or decline in the same way I expect few people to be able to have my vantage point of the Patriots evolution. Which is why if I ever do a total team roundup, it's usually when the season is just about over, and through hindsight, I can assess the general body of work. And which is also why most all of these fandom weekly power rankings can eat sh*t. 

I actually try to make assessments based around a wide variety of factors.  In a way, I sort of sort out the teams based on their tiers and how their overall skills relate to other teams in their respective tiers.  What are the tiers, and where would each NFL team rank?  So far, here's what it's looking like:

Super Teams:  Chiefs, Lions, Falcons, Steelers, Packers

Contenders:  Broncos, Patriots, Eagles, Panthers, Bills, Raiders, Texans, Rams

Darkhorses:  Seahawks, Redskins, Titans, Cowboys, Buccaneers, Saints, Vikings, Ravens

Longshots:  Dolphins, Jaguars, Bengals, Cardinals, Jets

Shit:  Chargers, Giants, Bears, Colts, Browns, 49ers

Do note too that there is indeed a really thin line between some of these teams.  In hindsight, the Dolphins, Jets and Cardinals look more like shit.  But the Chargers and Giants were so close to being considered longshots.  However, any darkhorse can become a contender, and any contender can become a Super Team.  And vice versa.  And many darkhorse teams can easily go either up or down.  But do note that as the season continues, my power rankings will become more accurate.  I may end up skipping this week because I'm going to go check out an amusement park all day long, and I won't be able to check out any games.  I then will have to be attending a funeral the week after, but that pretty much means I'm only going to be missing out on Sunday Night football.  And my Denver Broncos squad happens to be playing during that time.  Oh, well.  We'll probably end up recording it anyways.

Hope the Giants win this week.  And the Chargers the week after.

Dear Jason Garrett,

Passing on second down, stopping the clock, and then scoring with a minute left against Green Bay is a terrible idea. Aaron Rodger will drive down the field and win every single time.  

Sincerely, Viking fans everywhere.

7 hours ago, PockyCandy said:

Dear Jason Garrett,

Passing on second down, stopping the clock, and then scoring with a minute left against Green Bay is a terrible idea. Aaron Rodger will drive down the field and win every single time.  

And Just like that, Aaron Rodgers improves to 3-0 at Jerry World (including Super Bowl XLV).

Dak got credit for running that go ahead read option TD to perfection. A bit too perfect perhaps. 

It's like Garret forgot what happened in the Divisional playoff against the Packers last year. Namely that it took Rodgers just :35 seconds to drive down for the winning FG. 

On 10/6/2017 at 9:42 AM, Knobbe said:

Didn't spoil it mid game for @Bodom; the Pats win.  {thinking face emoji}{winky face emoji}{laughing while crying emoji}

Don't worry about spoilers.  If I'm not watching, I'm checking in 10-20 times during the game to stay updated.  Combined with the 300 iphone alerts and constant texts from friends.  I've never been one to record a game and watch it later without already knowing the result.

On 10/6/2017 at 5:36 PM, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

Okay. So as I peek around Patriots-related social media, I'm getting completely disgusted by fan response to this year's team. I know that most of the country doesn't like the Patriots. They've been winning for 2 decades. I'm sure that gets tiring for other fan bases. But, honestly, f*ck you poor losers.

That being said, seeing these Patriots fans decry this team makes me sick. This year's Patriots team, even in their ups-and-downs of the season so far, are clearly better than most NFL teams. We've just barely scraped by the 1/4th mark of this season, and I see these spoiled f*cking rotten fans claiming to be 'giving up' on this year's team because they don't see this team like they have year's past.

I wish that I could bitch slap all of these fans. If any single one of them had the ability to actually digest what was happening on the field, they'd see very clear places where players can do and WILL do better as the season rolls along, barring injury.

F*cking nitwits need to learn how to watch football. F*cking nitwits have to stop paying attention to stats that don't tell the whole story. Watch the WHOLE F*CKING PLAY, and not solely what player has the ball at any given point, or what defensive player is closest to making a play on the opposing team.

Agree with all of this.

That being said, I can see how many can be frustrated with the defense.  Game 1 they allowed Alex Smith to nearly break his career high in passing yards (2nd highest of his career).  Also threw for 4 TDs, something he had only done once in his career.  Career 86.8 rating... against the Pats... 148.6!  Before playing the Pats in week 4, Cam was averaging 190 pass yards/game with 2 TDs and 4 INT (against SF/Buf/NO).  Comes into New England and torches them for 316 + 3 TD.  Deshawn Watson has thrown for 102, 125, 301, 283, 261.  Guess which game was against New England?

But you're right, it's only 5 games in and there's no reason to hit the panic button and write them off.  It's also fun to watch a 40-year old Brady continue to dominate.

The sad truth of the matter is, even if Brady plays on a dominant level that puts him squarely on pace to win a League MVP, he still isn't going to win it--even if he threw 60 touchdown passes on the year, he'd still lose to somebody else.  He's that hated by the media establishment at large.

9 minutes ago, Mike Gordan said:

The sad truth of the matter is, even if Brady plays on a dominant level that puts him squarely on pace to win a League MVP, he still isn't going to win it--even if he threw 60 touchdown passes on the year, he'd still lose to somebody else.  He's that hated by the media establishment at large.

Maybe.  League MVP doesn't really matter to me, though.  Brady has nothing left to prove to me (I can't speak for others, but if anyone still doubts him, I'm not sure what to tell them).  I just enjoy watching him play at this point.  At his age he is defying the odds.  There have been many seasons where the Pats defense has been below average and Brady steps up and carries the team.  I'm 1,000,000% sure that if the Pats had a shitty defense for Brady's career that he would hold every statistical QB record.  But I'd rather have the championships.  The thing about Brady is he can adapt to every scenario.  He does what is best for the team and what it takes to win games.  I don't think he cares about MVP, either.

On 10/6/2017 at 4:36 PM, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

So as I peek around Patriots-related social media

Isn't Boston based social media comprised of the people not coherent enough to crap on the teams on talk radio?

On 10/6/2017 at 10:36 PM, davefmurray said:

Tebow should be in the Pro Bowl.

I wasn't aware that minor league baseball had a Pro Bowl

1 hour ago, Bodom said:

Don't worry about spoilers.  If I'm not watching, I'm checking in 10-20 times during the game to stay updated.  Combined with the 300 iphone alerts and constant texts from friends.  I've never been one to record a game and watch it later without already knowing the result.

It's more about the juju.  One person's bad juju can tank an entire team.

silver-linings-playbook-pat-sr.jpg

40 minutes ago, Mike Gordan said:

I'm not sure you live northeast enough to be able to make this conspiracy hold water....the pure alkaline enhanced water that will Propel™  Tom Brady towards the MVP.

I can't wait to see how those weekly Power Rankings look after this clusterf*ck of a week (haaaaaaaa). Can't wait to see when everyone, by default, puts Kansas City at the #1 spot, heralding them as the NFL franchise to beat, when they've been lucky enough to maintain a spot in the top-10 each year since Andy Reid took the helm. Reid has taken one team to the Super Bowl as a head coach, and lost. Yet, because modern NFL fans get a total hard-on for stats, standings, and justifying the time invested in their compulsive attention to the NFL, people will claim a team like the Kansas City Chiefs is the belle of the ball because they're undefeated. And I laugh and laugh and laugh as a result. Don't get me wrong, I like Andy Reid teams. I even like the Chiefs. 

Unrelated, this year, I've seen more big football fan friends across the Internet collectively drop the NFL than ever before. It seems to be a mix of having problems with player health (concussions), the player protests (for and against), and an amalgamation of prior issues finally coming to a head. It's been pretty amazing to see, actually. Lifelong fans, just kind of over it all. I blame the majority of all of this on the fair weather, moderate fan, for turning the attention from the sport itself to all of this TMZ drama crap. ESPN, Fox Sports, all of the talking-head shit--it's all to blame. 

12 hours ago, Mike Gordan said:

Yeah, this isn't accurate. Most market-neutral Sports Media, except for ESPN, loves Tom Brady. And even ESPN has kind of changed its tune, because it has very little journalistic integrity as an organization to begin with.

11 hours ago, Knobbe said:

Isn't Boston based social media comprised of the people not coherent enough to crap on the teams on talk radio?

Nah. Boston may be a lot of things, but its sports fandom is typically pretty unbiased. Overreactive? Yes. But objectively so.