Maynard_G_Krebs

NFL 2017-2018 Season Discussion

Just now, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

If I owned the Colts, I would ship Andrew Luck out of IND. Trade him for a king's ransom to a team on the upswing who is QB-needy. Go with Brisset, and invest much of that Andrew Luck dough into an NFL-worthy offensive line, and some key defensive positions. Giving Luck the market-value contract that he 'deserves' is going to disallow IND's ability to put a team together that can actually compete for a championship. They'd win the Andrew Luck contract contest, but look to be the losers in the long haul.

Do you think he's never going to be healthy? He seems like a guy who could win a Super Bowl with though maybe I'm just projecting his former #1 draft pick status

Just now, Knobbe said:

Do you think he's never going to be healthy? He seems like a guy who could win a Super Bowl with though maybe I'm just projecting his former #1 draft pick status

I'm not sold on his health or him. I think he's overrated. But the NFL has christened him, so I would take advantage of that if I was Irsay.

16 hours ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

I'm not sold on his health or him. I think he's overrated. But the NFL has christened him, so I would take advantage of that if I was Irsay.

My take on Luck is he's a sure fire top 5 franchise QB in the league when healthy.  Being that he just turned 28 this month and will probably play another 10 years, I would not consider trading him!!

I'd be thrilled if my Jaguars could trade a bunch of skill players to somehow acquire him...

7 hours ago, rmm1976 said:

My take on Luck is he's a sure fire top 5 franchise QB in the league when healthy.  Being that he just turned 28 this month and will probably play another 10 years, I would not consider trading him!!

I'd be thrilled if my Jaguars could trade a bunch of skill players to somehow acquire him...

Afterwards you could list Blake Bortels on craiglist under the free section

New Power Rankings.  Boy, did Week 3 suck, or what!?  Let's get this over with:

32.  Indianapolis Colts (1-2):  You beat the Browns.  Expecting a major upgrade?  Win more games with Jacoby Brissett, and then I'll consider increasing your rank.

31.  New York Jets (1-2):  As I suspected, the Dolphins fumbled about, and the Jets clobbered them.  I doubt they actually wanted to even win.

30.  San Francisco 49ers (0-3):  The Rams gave them as much ammo as possible to pull away with an upset win thanks to their special teams, and you still lost.

29.  Cleveland Browns (0-3):  You had a piss-easy opponent in the Colts, and YOU STILL CAN'T WIN!?  Fuck!

28.  Chicago Bears (1-2):  As I suspected, the Bears won.  Too bad nobody had the guts to pick them to win that week--not even me, who actually thought they would.

27.  Cincinnati Bengals (0-3):  One of the few winless teams left in the NFL.  And that's in spite dominating the Packers for most of 60 minutes only to choke against Aaron Rodgers and lost in overtime.

26.  New York Giants (0-3):  As brutal as that ending was--as it all but killed the Giants' playoff hopes--at least it wasn't the most brutally unfair loss of the week.  THEY ACTUALLY SCORED POINTS IN THAT GAME!

25.  LA Chargers (0-3):  They rate this high because of how razer thin close they were to 2-1.  Unfortunately, their the fifth and final winless team.  And it's all thanks to that kicker.  That, and they haven't a trace of a home crowd to be found.

24.  Arizona Cardinals (1-2):  Considering how bad they've been playing, it's amazing they've escaped the basement.  Two reasons--the teams rated below them are either objectively worse or have yet to win a game.  The Cardinals at least beaten somebody....it was the Colts in overtime.

23.  LA Rams (2-1):  The Rams have yet to beat anybody of note all year long--just the Colts and 49ers (or more specifically, Scott Toltzien and Brian Hoyer).  But considering how piss-easy their schedule appears to be (the AFC South, NFC East, and maybe the Saints and Vikings), and every team in their division is winnable, the Rams can actually snatch this division away for the first time since 2003.  But goddamn!  It says a lot when the best game of the week came on Thursday Night Football.  God, yesterday sucked!

22.  Jacksonville Jaguars (2-1):  They won two games.  It was against the Texans with Tom Savage under center, and the Ravens, who are plagued with injury and with Joe Flacco playing his worst football you can possibly imagine.  Still, they're second place in their division, and face mostly basement dwellers and the piss-easy AFC North, and one or two winnable games against the NFC West.  Unfortunately, they share the division with the Titans, who utterly clobbered them and now currently hold the divisional tie-breaker.

21.  Buffalo Bills (2-1):  The refs did everything in their power to help the Bills win and shatter the Broncos' confidence on offense, but it still goes without saying just how brutal that defense is, and just how difficult it is to cover Tyrod Taylor.  Of the former bottom-feeders, they are the only squad to soundly beat a quality football team.  All things considered, if they can play this kind of game consistently and against quality football teams, they're making the playoffs.

20.  Houston Texans (1-2):  Man, the easiest pick of the game didn't come all that easy.  The Texans under stud rookie QB Deshaun Wattson really pushed the Patriots to the wall for 4 quarters, did they?  This is far more concerning of their defensive woes than it is of the Texans prowess.  Still, even in defeat, Wattson was admirable in his own right.  One of the only bright spots to have come out of this season so far.  Hopefully, the Texans can help him and his team win a Super Bowl before the NFL bursts into flames due to their National Anthem protests (which are against the rules, btw...which aren't even being enforced).

19.  New Orleans Saints (1-2):  Drew Brees tore up a Carolina Panthers team that no longer even has the capacity to score now that everybody worth a damn on the Panthers' offense is gone outside of Cam Newton.

18.  Miami Dolphins (1-1):  They derped around against the lowly Jets of all teams right after just barely escaping the LA Chargers with a win.  Unfortunately, the quality of games were such shit this week that they ultimately didn't drop that far down in the power rankings.

17.  Baltimore Ravens (2-1):  Utterly ravaged by injuries, Joe Flacco was benched, and the Ravens found only mere satisfaction in scoring a single touchdown against the Jaguars--just like the Dolphins when they played the Jets.  Still, given the fact that these two teams still have to play each other this year, at this time, the Ravens are still a more reliable pick over them.

16.  Carolina Panthers (2-1):  Also utterly ravaged by injuries on offense, it is easier than ever to give Cam Newton a brutal beating on a weekly basis.  Combined with the fact now that his only reliable receiving threat is Devin Funchess, and they have no idea how to utilize Christian McCaffrey, their season could very well be in jeopardy.

15.  Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1-1):  One week after utterly embarrassing the Bears for 4 quarters, the Buccaneers find themselves hitting a brick wall, and Case Keenum torching their defense for 34 points.  If this is how the Buccaneers are gonna play against a defense who are forced to nurse the injuries of QB's Sam Bradford and Teddy Bridgewater, how do YOU think they're gonna handle teams like the Lions, Falcons, Bills or Giants when they do face them?  But look on the bright side--they might actually beat Tom Brady this year!

14.  Washington Redskins (2-1):  I must admit; I was greatly impressed with this team.  Sure, they got beaten by two scores by a really good Eagles team, but given the early schedule, they beaten an originally prospected bottomfeeder Rams team, but most importantly, they utterly steamrolled the Oakland Raiders--a team many experts were projecting as major Super Bowl contenders.  I have no idea where that defense is coming from--not the greatest, but efficient at what it does all the same--but Kirk Cousins might actually look like the future of the Redskins franchise.  Another rare bright spot for this week in football!

13.  Minnesota Vikings (2-1):  I guess all it really took for the Vikings to become a playoff darkhorse again was an extra week of preparation for Case Keenum.  I honestly have no idea what to expect out of this Vikings squad at this point.  They still look better than most other teams this week.

12.  Seattle Seahawks (1-2):  God, I hate the Seahawks.  And the Titans gave them exactly what they deserved, too!  Maybe instead of making political statements and throwing temper tantrums at the referees, maybe the Seahawks ought to learn how to do their jobs and actually practice!  I personally am looking forward for the day to come where Jared Goff makes the Seahawks his bitch and the Rams finally usurp the Legion of Boom from power.

11.  Dallas Cowboys (2-1):  A win is a win.  That's all there is to it.  Plus, they beaten the Cardinals and Giants, so there's that....

10.  Philadelphia Eagles (2-1):  Admittedly, this wasn't a pick of total confidence last week since I knew that Carson Wentz struggled against good defenses, so this was an overall solid team win all around.  The Eagles continue to keep this up, they're making the playoffs.  For once, I actually find the Eagle franchise to seem a tad bit respectable, unlike the Seahawks....but who knows?  For all I know, Wentz may finally win this organization a Super Bowl title....Someday....boy, is the NFC East weird.

9.  Tennessee Titans (2-1):  After a pedestrian home showing against the Raiders, the Titans utterly steamrolled the Jaguars and made the Legion of Boom their bitch.  It took a half of defensive stymying, but then they finally got their results, and all the Seahawks could do is try and play catch-up during garbage time.  Seriously, they probably don't need to play that many teams worth a damn to win this division, but a quality win like this is still worthy consideration.

8.  Denver Broncos (2-1):  I have to dock them this low after that pisspoor team showing against a projected lowly Buffalo Bills squad.  Then again, I have to shift some of the blame to the referees, who seemed hell-bent on making sure the Broncos got penalized or a big play got overturned.  As a result, the Broncos found themselves constantly having to overcompensate for this horrendous excuse for an officiating crew, and the whole team collapsed because of the constant shifting of the goal post in Buffalo's favor.  Unfortunately, even as a lifelong Bronco fan, this wasn't the worst excuse for NFL officiating this week--at least the Bills actually won by two scores and had the ball last when the game came to an end.

7.  Pittsburgh Steelers (2-1):  YOU LOST TO THE BEARS!  THE FUCKING BEARS!  How can I not dock you down out of the top five for that!?

6.  Oakland Raiders (2-1):  On Sunday Night football, we got to witness just how far an offensive juggernaut can possibly go without a defense to back him up (ironic since Jack Del Rio is supposed to be a defensive-minded head coach), and what happens when said team not only runs into another team that can actually score points, but can also stop the other guy from scoring as well.  But look at the bright side--it increases QB Derrick Carr's chances of being named League MVP this season...as well as doom this team's Super Bowl aspirations as well.

5.  Green Bay Packers (2-1):  You had no excuse struggling as much as you did against a shitty Bengals team, but at least Aaron Rodgers helped lead a vigorous comeback victory against them.  So long as Aaron Rodgers is their QB, it's hard to picture this team not making the playoffs.  This clearly doesn't bode well for the next team on our list....

4.  Detroit Lions (2-1):  THIS was the most atrocious, inexcusable officiating I have ever seen.  Not only did they seem hellbent on keeping the Lions from scoring the game-winning touchdown, but they literally overturned a touchdown catch and did the 10-second runoff to end the game in Atlanta's favor.  Hopefully, the Lions will use this as fuel to motivate them into a vicious 13-game streak where they steamroll everybody else on their way to a Super Bowl victory.  I know that they know they can beat the Falcons and should have beaten them.  And I know how much they would like to see them again in the postseason.  But, knowing the Lions, they'll probably end up falling apart in December, fail to win their division for the umpteenth time against the Packers, and if they do qualify for a playoff spot, will get one-and-done in yet again.  But for now, the Lions look more like a complete team than the Packers do.

3.  Atlanta Falcons (3-0):  Everything I said with the Lions applies here to the Falcons.  Unfortunately, they are one of only two undefeated teams left in the National Football League.

2.  New England Patriots (2-1):  Even though they won, I am still docking this team.  Why?  Because their defense is abysmal.  And they nearly allowed a rookie QB to storm into Foxborough and pull away with a major upset.  Even worse is to remind people that Tom Brady is still 40, and they're forcing him to carry this team on his shoulders.  Considering how bad an idea this is, I imagine a late season collapse for the Patriots will be imminent as Brady's strength begins to fade and their defense decides to remain a no-show.  Oh, and did I mention they got beaten badly in the 4th quarter by the number 1 team in the NFL?

1.  Kansas City Chiefs (3-0):  Of all the football teams so far this year, it goes without saying at this point that the Chiefs are the only football club that has played mostly flawless football.  And against some quality opponents.  They never gave up big leads; they had beaten the Patriots in Foxborough, during the Opening Kickoff ceremony of all places and times; and they've shown themselves to be the most complete team in all of football, with an excellent and balanced offense, with a dual threat rookie runningback, who looks like the runaway Rookie-of-the-Year candidate (the closest thing to matching his play at this point might be QB Deshaun Wattson), and a solid defense, in spite of the loss of Eric Berry for the year.  At this point, their likely first loss of the season might actually come from an AFC West rival if anything.  For now, they are the best the NFL has indisputably.

4 minutes ago, Mike Gordan said:

Detroit Lions (2-1):  THIS was the most atrocious, inexcusable officiating I have ever seen.  Not only did they seem hellbent on keeping the Lions from scoring the game-winning touchdown, but they literally overturned a touchdown catch and did the 10-second runoff to end the game in Atlanta's favor.  Hopefully, the Lions will use this as fuel to motivate them into a vicious 13-game streak where they steamroll everybody else on their way to a Super Bowl victory.  I know that they know they can beat the Falcons and should have beaten them.  And I know how much they would like to see them again in the postseason.  But, knowing the Lions, they'll probably end up falling apart in December, fail to win their division for the umpteenth time against the Packers, and if they do qualify for a playoff spot, will get one-and-done in yet again.  But for now, the Lions look more like a complete team than the Packers do.

There's gotta be a funkin' conspiracy against Detroit.

(Can't wait for this-Sunday's game against vikings, though:  Lions.  Roar.  Will.  Be.  Restored!!!)

@Mike Gordan I like your rankings.  I don't see any major variances from where I would rank each team.   I also like that your comments are "on edge" this week.  General anger, when directed at no one in particular, amuses me.  Let's hope the Broncos keep losing so we can have more of it! :-D  And you're spot on with the Patriots.  Their defense is abysmal.  They also can't run the ball when it counts.  The one problem that everyone thought they would have this year (the 40-year old QB) is the one problem they DON'T have.

On 9/24/2017 at 10:58 PM, Knobbe said:

People were raving about Tony Romo in the booth. Anyone else get a chance to hear him? That game wasn't on here. 

I got to see the game here thanks to Red Zone and in my opinion I thought he did well, but that's just my take.

Damn, Buck wasn't exaggerating. That was one of the worst hits I've ever seen (and this is coming from a guy that's been going through Ronnie Lott footage lately).

In other news, can we talk about the Titans for a minute? Do you think that they're  legit contender in the AFC? They have a good QB, a solid running game and line, and their defense doesn't look too bad either. I could see them giving New England's weak defense some problems in January. 

I just watched the Trevathan hit.  Holy shit is right!  I thought the timing was OK, but the crown of your helmet to a dude's face.  God damn.

protesting things people don't understand is hard.

/\

I just realized that I probably won't get to watch the next 3 Pats games.  Kids sports this weekend, Steel Panther concert next Thursday (STEEEEEEL PANTHERRRRR!!!), then my daughter's birthday party the following Sunday.  I'm hoping the whole anthem protest bullshit has calmed down by Week 7.

11 hours ago, buck said:

ho lee shit.  that trevathan hit...wtf.  that was one of the most vicious things I've ever seen.  rocky IV shit.

the first thing i noticed was Adams' mouth piece flying through the air. I get what trevathan is saying about his momentum carrying him and he's not a dirty player, etc. He didn't go for the wrap though...he led with his helmet on a guy that had someone pushing him the other way. I'm not sure if Trevathan is one of those "big hit" guys but on that play he seemed like a dude who was on a team getting killed and wanted to even the score with a big hit which could have killed or paralyzed Adams.

1 hour ago, Bodom said:

I just watched the Trevathan hit.  Holy shit is right!  I thought the timing was OK, but the crown of your helmet to a dude's face.  God damn.

/\

I just realized that I probably won't get to watch the next 3 Pats games.  Kids sports this weekend, Steel Panther concert next Thursday (STEEEEEEL PANTHERRRRR!!!), then my daughter's birthday party the following Sunday.  I'm hoping the whole anthem protest bullshit has calmed down by Week 7.

Just record them. We all promise not to say anything about the games until you've watched them.

While everyone is talkin' about players not named Todd Gurley, I'm just gonna say that Todd Gurley is gonna single handedly dismantle the Cowgirls this weekend getting him ever closer to winning the league MVP which he undoubtedly will deserve by the end of this season.........quote me on that...and that's comin' from the best 'True' tailback scout this site has EVER seen.  (sorry @buck)

Sorry Tailback, but i think this could be a rather interesting year for running backs as a whole. Yes, Gurley's an established star with plenty of years ahead of him but I think Kareem Hunt may end up with almost as many yards, if not more than Gurley this year. he's already at 400 yards in three games.

14 hours ago, TecmoSuperFan said:

Sorry Tailback, but i think this could be a rather interesting year for running backs as a whole. Yes, Gurley's an established star with plenty of years ahead of him but I think Kareem Hunt may end up with almost as many yards, if not more than Gurley this year. he's already at 400 yards in three games.

...and guess what??!!!...they're both in my "fantasy" backfield this season and the pot's $1,400.00!!!...Tell me THAT isn't good scouting.  No one in my draft knew who the short, but super strong Barry Sanders like back outta Toledo was, so I just waited till the later rounds in my draft to swoop him cuzz I knew no one else would. I will admit, he's not one of my 2 starting Tailback's, he's my flex, and that's where he'll stay because he's doing just fine complimenting Todd Gurley & Derrick Henry.  (I wanted Le'Veon Bell but some a$$hole 3 spots ahead of me got him...I think if I woulda' somehow pulled off getting Gurley & Bell in my backfield, AND had Kareem Hunt complimenting THEM............???............the draft board would have exploded!!!!!!!)

(p.s. I also have Latavius Murray as my back up...but he's rotting on the bench up in MIN.  It's a travisty how they're under using a dude with that much talent...put him in on goal-line or short yardage situations at least!!!) 

Edited by ~Tailback King~

Admittedly i was utterly surprised at how good he really was. The preseason didn't give me much in terms of impressive plays, but once season started he certainly put on the afterburners. Hopefully he can stay healthy his whole career. [wishful thinking, but it would be nice]

1 hour ago, ~Tailback King~ said:

...and guess what??!!!...they're both in my "fantasy" backfield this season and the pot's $1,400.00!!!...Tell me THAT isn't good scouting.  No one in my draft knew who the short, but super strong Barry Sanders like back outta Toledo was, so I just waited till the later rounds in my draft to swoop him cuzz I knew no one else would. I will admit, he's not one of my 2 starting Tailback's, he's my flex, and that's where he'll stay because he's doing just fine complimenting Todd Gurley & Derrick Henry.  (I wanted Le'Veon Bell but some a$$hole 3 spots ahead of me got him...I think if I woulda' somehow pulled off getting Gurley & Bell in my backfield, AND had Kareem Hunt complimenting THEM............???............the draft board would have exploded!!!!!!!)

(p.s. I also have Latavius Murray as my back up...but he's rotting on the bench up in MIN.  It's a travisty how they're under using a dude with that much talent...put him in on goal-line or short yardage situations at least!!!) 

This an 8 team league?