Maynard_G_Krebs

NFL 2017-2018 Season Discussion

A loss is fine... but I am legitimately concerned about the Pats defense this year. This bend but don't break (but sometimes break) D is getting old. Bring some MFing pressure! 

KC seems to have the Pats number (in the regular season anyways ). 

6 hours ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

Good! Get that undefeated shit out of the way now. Everything about this Patriots team needs work. All good. Health is a major factor.

I came here for the MGK meltdown, and am leaving very disappointed in your level-headed response. 

2 hours ago, PockyCandy said:

I came here for the MGK meltdown, and am leaving very disappointed in your level-headed response. 

The boards are a better place when MGK gets a bit animated.  Although it's always better when it's at the expense of other teams.

On 9/6/2017 at 3:59 PM, buck said:

how is that funny?  you could say that for about 9/10 of the QBs in the league, not just bortles.

That's the point; basically it's an account making fun of Bortles is by trying to make it seem like they're hyping Bortles. 

10 hours ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

Good! Get that undefeated shit out of the way now. Everything about this Patriots team needs work. All good. Health is a major factor.

I peed myself a little laughing about this post.

2 hours ago, Knobbe said:

That's the point; basically it's an account making fun of Bortles is by trying to make it seem like they're hyping Bortles. 

When bortles is in excellent he has 56 PC

Look on the bright side; at least the Jets and Bills are both projected to be quite horrible, and Mother Nature is showing just how much she hates the Dolphins and Buccaneers at this point.  Maybe this will be a sign that within four years time, they'll reach the Super Bowl (alongside the Texans and Cowboys) and possibly win it.

Unfortunately, the Patriots are matched up with the AFC West and NFC South this year.  If they can't win in New Orleans, then it's time to get a little concerned that maybe the Pats are about to hit a brick wall faster than you can say "pass interception."  But at least they can still claim the Texans, Steelers and Chargers as their bitches.  So even if they do hit a brick wall, 10-6 minimum might still be good enough for the team to win the division for perhaps the final time in the Tom Brady/Bill Belichick era.  Where they'll then pull off all kinds of shenanigans and somehow find a way to reach the Super Bowl.  The Chiefs and Patriots had essentially killed each other off with injuries in the opening kickoff game anyways.  Now the only reliable receiver left that Tom Brady has any semblance of chemistry with is the injury-plagued TE Rob Gronkowski.  Who is...also...apparently...running into a brick wall....

If the Patriots were too lose next week to the Saints with 9 days to prep I'd start worrying. Until then it was just an off night. Howie Long made a good point that the Pats have a number of guys that they signed VERY recently.

Probably the only time this season I'll be at 100% in my spread pickem pool. 

Yo. Brady is releasing the ball faster than ever. He was tossing inaccurate bombs last night, but I wouldn't put his inaccuracy on him. He was leading his WRs in depth and angles on the throw, and they were not matching his intent. He was playing it safe most of the time to avoid picks. I chalk most of the Patriots issues up last night to the newness of the roster, and the lack of relationship between the skill players, the offensive schemes as a whole, and to Brady himself. The defense clearly needs work, and they'll get it.

I agree with Bruddog that if the Pats get pwned by the Saints 9 days from now, there is cause for concern. Until that happens, I have zero reason to believe that the Pats don't lock in at least 10 wins this season.

People need to recognize that the organization/staff of the Patriots are exceptional at their jobs. Better on all fronts than the majority of NFL organizations. Like, light years for most organizations. They'll be just fine.

Edited by Maynard_G_Krebs

I panicked back in 2014 when KC blew them out and they started 2-2 (noted in the 2014 NFL Discussion thread along with a few other people).  And it was more panic from having been stuck on 3 rings for 9 years and fearing that was it.  Two Super Bowls later, it would take a losing record at the mid-way point of the season to get that reaction from me again.  Although the 2nd half of their schedule is a lot tougher with @Denver, @Oakland on a short week, @Miami in December where the Pats always struggle, and @Pitt... so 6-2 would be nice.

Also, not to take anything away from the Chiefs gameplan last night, because they did straight up beat the Pats--but let's be honest, that was probably one of, if not THE best game of Alex Smith's entire career. Dude blew his load early. That was not the Alex Smith we all know, and it won't be the Alex Smith we see throughout most of the regular season.

15 minutes ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

Also, not to take anything away from the Chiefs gameplan last night, because they did straight up beat the Pats--but let's be honest, that was probably one of, if not THE best game of Alex Smith's entire career. Dude blew his load early. That was not the Alex Smith we all know, and it won't be the Alex Smith we see throughout most of the regular season.

Which is why I am legitimately concerned about the defense this year (especially if Hightower misses extended time) because the Pats are going to face much better QBs than Alex Smith.

But onto more important topics...

59b32dd7eaf2f_9-8-20175-29-01PM.thumb.png.37e6288e91f2b26223772d2953f0fa77.png

Mina Kimes is one of the few good writers left at ESPN (along with Zach Lowe). While a lot of "journalists" stoop to writing tabloid gossip pieces based off of tweets and 5 second sound-bites, she conducts interviews with the athletes and writes worthwhile articles. This one on Aaron Rodgers is excellent:

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/enterpriseRodgers/green-bay-packers-qb-aaron-rodgers-unmasked-searching

Even if the Patriots struggle all season long, I still think they'll win the division--keep in mind that "bad" Patriots teams in the past all won less than 12 games, and since 2001--Brady's first start--the Patriots won less than 12 games in the regular season four times:

2002:  9-7, and lost both divisional AND Wild Card tie-breakers to the Jets and Browns respectively...probably by far the most humiliating given that one of those teams happens to be the Browns.

2005:  10-6, made it in as the 4-seed, and spent much of that season plagued by injuries.  They were able to clinch the 4-seed at 9-6, however, but they won their regular season finale with Doug Flutie under center in his final career game.

2008:  11-5, and shockingly enough, out of playoff contention.  Lost tie-breakers for both the division AND wild card spots to the Dolphins and Ravens respectively yet again.

2009:  I think 10-6, though I have a feeling that number might actually be slightly inaccurate.  By that point in time, however, the core that made up the Patriots dynasty at that time, as well as the 2007 season were old as dirt, so I think that may have had an impact on their season.  Not only did they win less than a dozen games and clinch the 3-seed, they were resoundedly eliminated in the Wild Card round by the Ravens.

And that's literally it.  4 "bad" Patriots seasons, and only one of them won less than 10 wins.  And you know what, I still think there are at least 8 wins on their schedule:  Sweeps against the Jets and Bills; 1, maybe 2 wins against the Dolphins; a matchup against the Buccaneers; and as of this moment in time, they still own the Texans, Chargers, and Steelers.  They should be able to win at least 8 of those games, and if you count all ten of these games, that should be the division for you.  Heck, 9 of those being wins (making it a 5-1 divisional split) could still very much be enough to win the division this year anyways.  And if they bounce back against the Saints next week, you can afford to be just a little bit more comfortable as 9-10 wins becomes much more ensured.

The Pats offense will be fine. They struggled and still put up 27 points which should be good for a win. That defense though.....oofa. They really have some major issues in that front seven. They really lost their way when their LB's were forced to cover. If they don't button that down quick they might be in for lots shootouts.

On 9/8/2017 at 7:56 AM, Bodom said:

The boards are a better place when MGK gets a bit animated.  Although it's always better when it's at the expense of other teams.

Maynard is best when he's quiet at home, knitting sweaters made out of yak's wool, sipping on gin & juice, and spinning imaginary yarns about lasting days of Patriots empire.

Continuing the rest of my power rankings from where I left off....

10.  Atlanta Falcons:  Yes, they've loaded up in the offseason, and they are entering this season determined to atone for their Super Bowl collapse.  But until we see signs that they are a solid pick at top 5, I'm gonna keep them a safe distance from this ranking and play it safe.  This team was quite horrible during the preseason as well, and while preseason doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things, it's still worth some pause for concern since they ended up finishing with an 0-4 record.

9.  Tennessee Titans:  It's pretty intensely close call between this team and the next team on the list--we'll probably get a better idea on how good this team could really be.  As a team on the rise, number 9 is a solid placement for this squad.  Overall, their chances of making the playoffs this year are looking pretty good.  But it's good to be a little cautious.

8.  Oakland Raiders:  Once again, this is a team on the rise, so I'm playing it safe with this team.  True, I did pick the Tennessee Titans, but since it was too close to call for my taste, I settled on the team with homefield advantage.  Another cause for concern was their defense--they finished the previous season 12-4, and with Derek Carr out for the year with a broken arm right before the regular season finale, they didn't stand a chance.

7.  Carolina Panthers:  All things considered, I like the Panthers to finish the season taking back the division.  They are matched up with the NFC North, and they get the Eagles and 49er's on their schedule as well.  The Panthers had a lot of bad luck all throughout the regular season due to injuries as well as missing a core piece at the secondary with Josh Norman's departure.  Hopefully, the Panthers can bounce back from their 9-game drop-off.

6.  Dallas Cowboys:  Good news is, Ezekiel Elliot will be playing Week 1.  The bad news is, the 6-game suspension is still up in the air at this point in time.  Not to mention the very real possibility that Elliot might not have had all that much time to actually get ready for football practice heading into the season opener.  If the 6-game suspension does hold up, one must be prepared for a serious drop-off in the power rankings.

5.  New York Giants:  Another case where two teams facing each other in the divisional round are too close to call.  But for now, I like the Giants' chances in winning the division this year.  The Eagles are still developing; the Cowboys are the next victim's of Roger Goodell's "Guilty-even-when-proven-innocent" policies; and the Redskins...well, they're run by Daniel Snyder; how do YOU think things will turn up in the end?

4.  Pittsburgh Steelers:  I'm not quite ready to peg them as the next Super Bowl champions, let alone the next AFC Champions, quite yet.  But right now, they are the next likeliest team to reach the Super Bowl right behind one obvious answer.

3.  Green Bay Packers:  I think their week 1 opener against the next team on our list could ultimately impact the playoff picture later on in the season.  I picked the Packers to win their Week 1 opener, but the problem is whether or not the team will actually hold up as the season goes on.  For now, top three is appropriate for the Packers.

2.  Seattle Seahawks:  Yes, even with them losing the Week 1 opener, this is about as close as a likely Super Bowl contender we have this season.  They have an easy schedule; still have an elite defense; and Russell Wilson is making serious strides towards a possible MVP season.  Hopefully, he doesn't get it; no player has successfully won the Super Bowl the same season they won MVP since the Rams back in 1999.

1.  New England Patriots:  Yes, they lost and lost badly in the fourth quarter of their opening kickoff game.  But until we see signs of this becoming the new normal for them, it's not serious enough to drop them off the top perch.  Besides, this team has won three of their five Lombardi's off of Week 1 losses, and under Tom Brady, never lost their Week 1 opener otherwise.  Besides, I can't knock them off the top spot anyways until all the games minus Dolphins and Buccaneers are played out anyways since I never got around to making these picks until after the game.

33 minutes ago, bruddog said:

The popcorn maker....

Lynch looked goood yesterday, I'm pleasantly surprised.