Maynard_G_Krebs

NFL 2017-2018 Season Discussion

1 hour ago, turbohuna4eva! said:

Frankly, and I'm as die hard a Cowboys fan that there is, if he did do this, 6 games isn't close to enough. 

well, if one of us "normal" people did that shit, we would probably be in jail.  so, he might miss 6 games, but he is still above the law, and you can't put a price tag on that.

Anybody else feel like Rico Gathers could be the next Gronk?

We'll see (if he makes the Cowboys roster) how good his hands are, but I'm liking what he's showcasing so far

2 hours ago, Svelt said:

Anybody else feel like Rico Gathers could be the next Gronk?

We'll see (if he makes the Cowboys roster) how good his hands are, but I'm liking what he's showcasing so far

I think he has the potential to be special, but he's still very raw. Seems much improved over last year already. And I don't see any way he doesn't make the team #oneofJerruh'sspecialties

On 8/18/2017 at 0:55 PM, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

Over/Under on TB12 becoming a coach after he hangs it up? I'd say the odds are good.

Maybe it's me, but I just can't picture it.  I'd be very surprised if Brady pursued a coaching career after his playing days are over. 

He's definitely qualified - knows the game inside and out, has passion for the game/passion to win, etc.  But I see him more of a fiery leader/lead by example type of guy vs. coach/motivator (if that makes sense).  Plus you don't really see too many quality NFL players turn coaches.  The only two I can think of off the top of my head are Ditka and Singletary.  I'm sure there's more, but that also depends on your definition of quality NFL player.

Dudes got a supermodel wife (who seems to want him around more vs. spending time on the field), 3 kids, property in multiple countries.  I don't see why he would want to take on the 14-20 hour/day coaching lifestyle.  He'll do something to keep in the spotlight... I don't see him disappearing from the public eye, just not sure it's coaching.  Maybe he'll follow Elway's path...?

I could be wrong, though.  Part of me hopes I am.

This post on reddit is pretty insightful. I don't know how many of you guys are NBA fans, but in this analogy, Rex Ryan is the Mike D'antoni to Bill Belichick's Gregg Popovich. 

You can be a great offensive mind and still be bad at using your players in ways that play to their strengths. Going back to the aforementioned Chip Kelly reference, the dude's an absolute genius when it comes to offensive scheming. I mean, there's a reason why Belichick would routinely consult with him over the offseason. However, he refused to alter his scheme at all to fit the players he had, preferring instead to jam square pegs into octagonal holes.

That's a pretty common problem with coaches in the NFL, honestly. I mean, look at when Rex Ryan took over Buffalo, for instance. He inherited a top defense and turned it into an average (at best) defense due to his insistence on running a 3-4 even when his personnel were clearly better in a 4-3. However, you can't claim that the man isn't an incredible defensive mind - his defenses as a DC for the Ravens and as the HC for the Jets were borderline historically good. Basically, it's not an issue with not having a great offensive/defensive mind - it's an ego problem where they believe that the scheme is more important than the players.

That's actually why Belichick has been so successful, and is probably going to go down as the GOAT once he retires. Throughout his tenure, he has completely reconstructed his offensive and defensive schemes multiple times just to fit his personnel. I mean, compare the schemes that his early 2000s teams ran to the schemes the 2007 team ran, the schemes the early 2010s teams ran, and the schemes that they're currently running on both offense and defense. They're all wholly and fundamentally different from one another. Sure, it's easy to be successful with the potential GOAT player, but Belichick has been masterful at building his schemes around the players, and not vice versa.

I could just so easily see Brady going either way. Competition is that dude's existence. Like, abnormally so. Not sure if the analyst is the competition zone he's built for. If he does nothing, I'm sure his wife will divorce him. ;) QB coach? Maybe college? Something though. Perhaps not for some years after he retires, but something.

Unrelated, although Gronk is clearly a meathead, I gotta say that the guy know how to stick to his talking points. Asked about playing a series in the preseason--his first since 2012--Gronk calmly sticks to his talking points about constant readiness to play, "we prepare to play every game, every down." I hear a little Tom Brady in there. Maybe more than a little. Something else the GOAT doesn't get enough credit for. Brady helps to make his players perform better on and off the field.

Edited by Maynard_G_Krebs

QB Battle in Jacksonville between Blake Bortles, Chad Henne and 2nd year late rd pick Brandon Allen.  My Jaguars cannot make a decent draft pick to save their life.  Seems over the past 10 years the early round picks are either busts or injury prone.  I really hope Fournette can stay healthy...  :-(

12 hours ago, rmm1976 said:

QB Battle in Jacksonville between Blake Bortles, Chad Henne and 2nd year late rd pick Brandon Allen.  My Jaguars cannot make a decent draft pick to save their life.  Seems over the past 10 years the early round picks are either busts or injury prone.  I really hope Fournette can stay healthy...  :-(

Time for the Jaguars to own Bortles' bust status.

14 hours ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

Time for the Jaguars to own Bortles' bust status.

Yeah, time to fire the GM (Dave Caldwell)...  2 first round busts (Fowler, Bortles) is not going to cut it despite a good pick of Ramsey last year.  Also this year we reached for a DL in round 3 (Smoot) when we really needed more OL and Pat Elflein was available...

I hate that hits like the one OBJ caught last night are legal. OBJ barely turns his head upfield, and a p*ssy, uncoordinated Browns DB lunges at the landing/planting knee from behind. What kind of bullshit is that? OBJ is, what, 200lbs. soaking wet? It's not like the dude is Gronk. How is that not hitting a defenseless receiver (not a technical question, as I know the answer)? Save for the fact that Eli put it up higher than I'm sure he meant to; I'm not even a fan of OBJ or clearly the Giants as a whole, but I would be pissed right now if I was their fan base

33 minutes ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

I hate that hits like the one OBJ caught last night are legal. OBJ barely turns his head upfield, and a p*ssy, uncoordinated Browns DB lunges at the landing/planting knee from behind. What kind of bullshit is that? OBJ is, what, 200lbs. soaking wet? It's not like the dude is Gronk. How is that not hitting a defenseless receiver (not a technical question, as I know the answer)? Save for the fact that Eli put it up higher than I'm sure he meant to; I'm not even a fan of OBJ or clearly the Giants as a whole, but I would be pissed right now if I was their fan base

I'm all for big hits and understand injuries are part of the game, but kind of agree here.  Wrap the guy up and make the tackle like a man.  Lunging at a player's knee is for pussies.

My money is on the Falcons suffering from a SEVERE Super Bowl hangover. I keep reading articles from authors who are purporting that the Falcons have a good chance to make it back to the Super Bowl and to "right a wrong." Not going to happen. IMO, based on every interview I've read or watched with Falcons team personnel, I see or hear the kind of comments that don't make me believe this team has the capacity to move on from their loss. And not in a good way. Not in a "we're out to prove something" way. More like constant regret that is only going to serve them as an ankle weight.

The Falcons are not going back to the Super Bowl. I'll even go so far as to say that Matty Ice has seen his last Super Bowl as the Falcons QB.

14 hours ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

you definitely can't legally hit an offensive player in the "head" and you are suggesting that they can't hit them below the waist, now - do you not realize how fast these actions are occurring?  full speed.  faster than you can even think.

did you not notice that the defender had already put his head down and prepared to "NOT GET FINED/EJECTED" for hitting a WR "up high"?

it is a catch 22.  in my opinion, from the look of things, the defender was just getting low, preparing to hit that stupid son of a bitch WR that went up for a horrible pass.

so, note to WR and QBs - if there is a defender waiting over the top, don't throw it high or attempt to catch it, because the defense has the advantage and your shit will get hurt.  

odbhuh.thumb.jpg.c208e6ff6c2998b9a4c16554bc2711c7.jpg

8 hours ago, buck said:

you definitely can't legally hit an offensive player in the "head" and you are suggesting that they can't hit them below the waist, now - do you not realize how fast these actions are occurring?  full speed.  faster than you can even think.

I don't think the suggestion was that you have to hit above the waist.  The area from the shoulders to the thigh is plenty room to execute a form tackle (something that doesn't seem to exist in the NFL anymore).  The chin up and knee down just seem like kind of a cop out for a player who doesn't really want to get hit.  Things happen fast, definitely agree, but the problem is the mentality going in.  If you are prepared mentally, you won't immediately dive towards the opponents knee.  I've watched the play a few times.  There's no reason why Calhoun couldn't have wrapped him up and driven him back.

8 hours ago, buck said:

did you not notice that the defender had already put his head down and prepared to "NOT GET FINED/EJECTED" for hitting a WR "up high"?

it is a catch 22.  in my opinion, from the look of things, the defender was just getting low, preparing to hit that stupid son of a bitch WR that went up for a horrible pass.

That's why I think it is a mental thing.  Form tackles are out the window.  Just dive at his knee... he will go down.  You may fuck his knee up for the rest of his career, but at least you made the play.

I will say though that some of the penalties they call for head hits are bullshit.  When you wrap a guy up shoulder to shoulder and your helmet happens to hit their helmet, it should not be a penalty.  Launching yourself into their head is a different story.  Personally, I'd rather get hit in the head than in the knee.

I would rather take a hit in the head, too.  The last place I want hit is the knee.  

I seem to think that it takes a certain mentality to play defense, because it is "kill or be smoked to death".  You have to be aggressive or be a pussy.

Now, I do not know what nuckels are thinking these days, but it would seem like they are afraid to even play their defensive position sometimes; because they are afraid to get a penalty/fined/ejected (or maybe they are just concerned about the well being of the WR), but the defender is in the position of having to dominate - especially in a situation like the one we are discussing.  

and I will say it again:  if you don't want to get clowned, don't jump up for the freaking garbage Eli JJ in the middle of the field.  so many teams these days think that they can just toss shit across the middle and not pay the price...quit going to the middle with the garbage throws!

Julian Edelman out for the year hurts. Not just because of how good a WR he is, but because of the way he plays football as a whole. Every team wants a Julian Edelman on their squad. A sad day for Pats fans, and I hope most all football fans who appreciate quality play from quality players.

17 minutes ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

Julian Edelman out for the year hurts. Not just because of how good a WR he is, but because of the way he plays football as a whole. Every team wants a Julian Edelman on their squad. A sad day for Pats fans, and I hope most all football fans who appreciate quality play from quality players.

Have to wonder if he's like Wes Welker and played his last down with the Pats?  From what I read the rest of his contract is not guaranteed, and by the time he heals he will be 32 years old.

11 hours ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

Edelman is a HUGE loss for the Pats.  He's a leader both on the field and in the locker room.  His attitude and work ethic are irreplaceable. 

That being said... I am less concerned about the Pats success - they are still stacked, so there's no excuses there - and more concerned about the fact that the gritty, undersized 7th round draft pick is one of the, if not THE most, exciting player(s) to watch. 

F*ck.

Edited by Bodom