Maynard_G_Krebs

NFL 2017-2018 Season Discussion

294 posts in this topic

I guess that TV NFL viewing was down and they did a survey, turns out a decent percentage of the loss of viewers was the result of those guys (Kaep, etc) that had the pre-game anti-American antics, etc.  

and people wonder why a sub-average QB like Kaep can't get a job in the NFL. 

two possible reasons:

1. you suck as a QB

2. your unnecessary pre-game antics lost the company you work for millions of dollars.

I really want to see the Colts and Steelers play eachother in the Playoffs, and here's why:

Here at mission control, we've embarked on a new project; and as it turns out, the worst record - or best, depending how you look at it - of any one NFL team against another in the Playoffs, is 0-5.  Colts hold that dubious distinction.  Against PIT.

And you can bet I'll be rooting for the Colts

19 hours ago, buck said:

I guess that TV NFL viewing was down and they did a survey, turns out a decent percentage of the loss of viewers was the result of those guys (Kaep, etc) that had the pre-game anti-American antics, etc.  

and people wonder why a sub-average QB like Kaep can't get a job in the NFL. 

two possible reasons:

1. you suck as a QB

2. your unnecessary pre-game antics lost the company you work for millions of dollars.

So people those people were ok with watching wife-beaters and murderers, but Kaepernick doing something they disagree with is what pushed them to stop watching the NFL?

Just to be clear, I think that it was extremely disrespectful of him to kneel for the Anthem. 

Posted (edited)

38 minutes ago, PockyCandy said:

So people those people were ok with watching wife-beaters and murderers, but Kaepernick doing something they disagree with is what pushed them to stop watching the NFL?

Just to be clear, I think that it was extremely disrespectful of him to kneel for the Anthem. 

but I never heard about Kaep beating a-person-who-identifies-as-a-female, knifing, ganking, or high-capping anybody, so I didn't feel the need to say that stuff in regards to him.

I was not really saying that the pregame antics were the "only" reason viewership was down, (but according to a survey of like 8000 people, like a third of them gave the Kaep antics as their reason to not watch on TV...I think that's what it said...maybe it was a third of a percentage of people who quit watching, shit..don't quote me on that)...I was just correlating Kaep's struggle to land an NFL job with his antics (that have been shown to lose the company he works for money) and his crap QB play.

and regarding general "crime" as you mention, maybe people figure that justice will be or has been served and they can ignore said "crimes"?

but in general, it's probably all related like I think you're saying.  

Edited by buck

Maybe this is self-evident given the profit-over-people reality we're living in, but I'm actually genuinely wondering about this, and what other people think:  why does the media - NFL Network, espn, NFL.com, other - always flood us with information/"news" on what $ players(/coaches) make/are bargaining to make?

(Granted, it's probably the same with other Pro sports... But, what's the point?)

Does Joe-public factor that - scrolling/spoken/clickable updates - into their FF reckonings?

@Maynard_G_Krebs, enlighten me.

28 minutes ago, Bilt said:

why does the media - NFL Network, espn, NFL.com, other - always flood us with information/"news" on what $ players(/coaches) make/are bargaining to make?

@Maynard_G_Krebs, enlighten me.

I love flippantly psychoanalyzing stuff. I'll let someone else provide facts.

1) The NFL thrives off of hero-worship. I mean look at all of us with our profile pics of NFL players. Somehow it feels comforting that the ones we worship make more money in a year than we will in our life time. 

2) At the same time, we can identify with our heroes by hearing they 'earn' their salary, just like the honest working man does. Even if their salary could buy a medium-sized county in Rhode Island. 

3) We love attaching numbers to people -- whether it's ranking TSB players by their attributes, quoting record-setting seasons by our favorite players, or acknowledging how much cap room such-and-such draft pick bust is costing our team.

4) Fans like to peek into the perceived "head-game" of football. At the end of the day it's a game of human confrontation -- on the football field, as well as off.

5) Rumors of all kinds are easy and effective click-bate since they don't have to be based on anything factual at all. You can crank that shit out all day.

... apologies, I'm not MGK ...

Posted (edited)

Yo. If you promoted a sport where a good percentage of its player base comes from poor, resource deficient regions, and in playing the sport, there's a high chance of some degree of brain injury or other severe long-term physical problems, wouldn't you too want to broadcast how much these players make to entice the next generation of human sacrifice to play the game? Live fast, die young; probably similar to the kind of logic the Roman promoters used when they threw slaves and vagrants into the combat pits of the colloseums. "Imagine the glory! The crowds will cheer for you! Make it out alive and you will be celebrated and well fed tonight! The women will love you!"

Edited by Maynard_G_Krebs

20 minutes ago, TecmoSuperFan said:

after a 9 year career, Ryan Clady's hanging his cleats up.

They're dropping off like flies after hearing about the CTE study.

1 hour ago, gojiphen malor said:

They're dropping off like flies after hearing about the CTE study.

I played full contact football starting in 4th grade and through 12th. I was the fastest and pretty fearless kid, played RB and Linebacker from 4-9th grade, never leaving the field.  I was usually in on about every tackle and obviously as a RB, was getting hit all the time.  

For 10-12th grade I was RB and CB.  basically didn't leave the field here, except in blowout games, which was quite common my 10/11th grade years.  most of my hard hits came from pass protecting, blocking, and the occasional getting the shit knocked out of me blindside.

to my knowledge I never got a concussion, but I hit with my forehead *all the time* and even as a RB, I followed Walter Payton's rule of hitting the defender harder than he hits you.  I loved it, by the way.  

I personally knocked two people out, one when I was running the ball along the sidelines a guy about my size came at me head on, we hit helmet to helmet.  I got up quick and didn't feel anything, he left on a stretcher in an ambulance.  another time I came up and hit a RB on an option play and knocked him out.

what I'm getting at is:  am I fucked?

1 hour ago, buck said:

I played full contact football starting in 4th grade and through 12th. I was the fastest and pretty fearless kid, played RB and Linebacker from 4-9th grade, never leaving the field.  I was usually in on about every tackle and obviously as a RB, was getting hit all the time.  

For 10-12th grade I was RB and CB.  basically didn't leave the field here, except in blowout games, which was quite common my 10/11th grade years.  most of my hard hits came from pass protecting, blocking, and the occasional getting the shit knocked out of me blindside.

to my knowledge I never got a concussion, but I hit with my forehead *all the time* and even as a RB, I followed Walter Payton's rule of hitting the defender harder than he hits you.  I loved it, by the way.  

I personally knocked two people out, one when I was running the ball along the sidelines a guy about my size came at me head on, we hit helmet to helmet.  I got up quick and didn't feel anything, he left on a stretcher in an ambulance.  another time I came up and hit a RB on an option play and knocked him out.

what I'm getting at is:  am I fucked?

From what I gather from the study, there's a very good chance that you are. Especially since you played probably the two most physically demanding positions on the field. 

maybe I should retire from TSB football roms before it's too late.

40 minutes ago, buck said:

maybe I should retire from TSB football roms before it's too late.

Let's be honest, you're definitely on the downside of your career at this point anyways. It's probably best that you hang em up before your thumbs become unusable. 

2 hours ago, PockyCandy said:

Let's be honest, you're definitely on the downside of your career at this point anyways. It's probably best that you hang em up before your thumbs become unusable. 

that hurts, man.  that hurts.  I'm gonna open up a car dealership and an hourly motel.

Posted (edited)

Early on in training camps, NFL teams are losing players left and right to injury and retirement. Ravens, Giants, Dolphins, Chiefs, Patriots, the list goes on and on of teams who have lost important personnel in the past week. Every year, I clench my butt a little tighter at the thought of potential training camp injuries for my beloved Patriots.

If your team has suffered injury in the past few years, my heart goes out to you... unless you're a Cowboys fan.

Edited by Maynard_G_Krebs

Hopefully we don't lose DJ again to torn muscles. i'd hate for him to go out like that. :/

4 hours ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

Early on in training camps, NFL teams are losing players left and right to injury and retirement. Ravens, Giants, Dolphins, Chiefs, Patriots, the list goes on and on of teams who have lost important personnel in the past week. Every year, I clench my butt a little tighter at the thought of potential training camp injuries for my beloved Patriots.

If your team has suffered injury in the past few years, my heart goes out to you... unless you're a Cowboys fan.

It's time to encase Gronkowski in multiple layers of bubble-wrap. 

On 8/1/2017 at 0:32 PM, buck said:

am I fucked?

On 8/1/2017 at 11:42 PM, buck said:

I'm gonna open up an hourly motel.

already?

Posted (edited)

egzakly

16 hours ago, Bilt said:

already?

Edited by buck

On 7/10/2017 at 3:04 AM, Bilt said:

Some intriguing players I think of going into this season, right off the bat ...

And don't forget about Jay Jay.  The REAL Jay Jay.  ADVANCED "A.I." JAY JAY.  That's right, that Jay Jay:  jay AjayI

b72e63aed8b45d57d804fb83c0c5faec.jpg

On 7/10/2017 at 3:04 AM, Bilt said:

Blount - On a new team (Eagles)

Woodhead - (Ravens)

Isaiah Crowell - The Back that keeps on giving (Browns, reason to believe)

J.J. Watt - the Return

Jordan "The Bulldozer" Howard - Bears RB (of 1,300+ rushing yds last season!)

Munnerlyn - back to the Panthers

Ty Montgomery - swiss-army Cheesehead

VINCENT Jackson - One last hurrah?

Linval Joseph signs a 4 year, 50 million dollar extension. This makes him one of the highest paid DTs in the NFL.

If he were a player in the NBA, this would be considered peanuts for a player of his caliber.