Idea for a TPC-esque Game: TSB28

toolie

So here's the idea.  You have N guys playing, where (N-1) divides 28 evenly.  So this could be played with 2, 3, 5, 8, 15, or 29 guys.  (Any number would work, but this ensures a balanced schedule).

Each TSB28 game has 28 rounds of Tecmo games (potentially).

Every round you play one game.  Player 1 chooses his team first, then player 2 chooses his team.  You can be each team only once.  A win gets you 1 point, a tie gets you 0.5 points.  Whoever has the most points at the end of the 28 games is the winner.  The game can also end when one player has first place locked up.  For example, in a 2-player game, the first person to 14.5 points wins (but this wouldn't be the case with more people).  If P2 can choose a team different than whoever P1 chose then he must.  If he cannot, then the game is automatically a draw (this could only happen in the 28th round). 

So it's simple, games could be uploaded to TPC, and all you'd need is a shared Google Doc to keep track of points and who has chosen which teams. 

Some interesting things about this setup are...

1.  The dynamic of team choosing would be new and some out-of-the-box matchups would get played. 

2.  The best player wouldn't necessarily be favored, since his opponents would try and give themselves a leg up (team advantage) when they're P2.  Conversely, a weaker player would play more games with a better team and would receive sort of a built-in handicap.  But it's dynamic, because if that player starts to lead in the standings the other players would start policing him. 

3.  Games could be immediately conceded to save time; say I'm playing somebody and he takes SF as P1, I could, say, take IND and concede if I felt like not burning one of my good squads in an attempt to beat SF. 

Of course it would take some commitment from the players, but that goes with anything beyond basic TPC.   You could also choose a subset of the 28 teams for a shorter game. 

Anyone interested in trying this out let me know and I'll try and organize it!

Edited by toolie