Coin Toss Selection

buck

As the emcee of this year's tournament with no director responsibilities, I promise to be the same asshole to people complaining about the new coin flip rules as I was to the people complaining about the old coin toss rules.  In my ceremonial role, consistency is paramount. 

How about we look back last year when Tecmo Madison was going to end. Then fast forward to now, remember its back and stop complaining about a rule change, This whole thing has been thought out and compromised. I would be willing to bet that this rule would have changed regardless of who was running the tournament.

6 hours ago, Ryan11p said:

How about we look back last year when Tecmo Madison was going to end. Then fast forward to now, remember its back and stop complaining about a rule change, This whole thing has been thought out and compromised. I would be willing to bet that this rule would have changed regardless of who was running the tournament.

Why would we ever be reasonable?! We clearly make changes for no reason!!!

What if we do a best of 7 coin flip, then play paper/rock/scissors best of 5?  The winner of the coin flip series chooses their controller, the winner of flip #4 chooses the matchup, and the winner of P/R/S series chooses who sits in what chair and whether the TV is on mute or not (although its not said, criss-crossing controllers in Tecmo is a huge mind fuck advantage).  Then the winner of the P/R/S first throw chooses the team.

This to me seems cleaner.  Thanks for the consideration in advance Dave.

48 minutes ago, Dotdon said:

What if we do a best of 7 coin flip, then play paper/rock/scissors best of 5?  The winner of the coin flip series chooses their controller, the winner of flip #4 chooses the matchup, and the winner of P/R/S series chooses who sits in what chair and whether the TV is on mute or not (although its not said, criss-crossing controllers in Tecmo is a huge mind fuck advantage).  Then the winner of the P/R/S first throw chooses the team.

This to me seems cleaner.  Thanks for the consideration in advance Dave.

I think this is a great idea. I think we should stream the coin toss process as well. Loser also has to take their shirt off in shame.

On 2/1/2017 at 9:28 AM, davefmurray said:

TSB's elite do not want to call the matchup.

WHY do they not want to call a matchup?  that is the question.  I bet it has to do with:  getting P1, running out of matchups to call, or they are a panic-stricken pussy.

like gats says, you have now made the coin toss a clear advantage, P1 + matchup call >>> getting to pick a team from matchup. 

you have created a new problem (too unfair for coin flip loser) with your "solution".

I would like to know what is wrong with the solution I last proposed.  I cannot find a flaw in this idea.  It covers all reasonable bases and is very simple.

19 hours ago, joeygats said:

Great topic.. i def wanna win the coin toss vs regulator and a few others but yes i definitely rather lose the coin toss 85% under the old laws.  But with the new laws i wanna win it 100% lol...

Vs reg if i lose the toss my chances to win are very low but if i win it then i say i have a 45% chance.. 

Edited by buck

On 2/1/2017 at 9:28 AM, davefmurray said:

Just to give two examples:

1) Mort recently placed 2nd at the Tundra Bowl. In his post tourney interview, he talked about how losing the coin toss every game really helped him. (He didn't have to call the matchup.)

2) Joeygats in discussing his upcoming Thunderdome run states that if he is to make a deep run he needs to lose as many coin tosses as possible. (So he doesn't have to call the matchup.)

TSB's elite do not want to call the matchup.

Bingo. I won 2 coin flips at Tundra out of 7?8? First one I took Ones' advice and deferred. Second was late in the tourney. I'd prefer to have my choice of team all day every day. Twice on Sundays.

My main question is has anyone lost a major tournament game and thought "If I would have won the coin toss in order to get P1 or took P1 after the matchup call I would have had it"?

I know everyone has their preference but again thats a preference and not a real advantage. I hope that every TSB player has played from both sides and know that they might be forced to play from P2. The only advantage is the onside kick and if you need to get that at some point the chances are slim, I'll let Bru provide the percentages. 

And to be clear, I prefer the old way. But I'll take matchup over controller preference any day of the week as most have already stated. 

Bottom line is not everyone is gonna be happy with whatever is/was decided. It still beats the hell out of predetermined or tiered match-ups.

And finally, rules tweaks rules schmeeks. Just ball out brothers! Can't wait to see everyone