davefmurray

Nintendo Switch Reveal

On 1/13/2017 at 0:15 PM, davefmurray said:

One feature of the paid Switch online service will be online NES and SNES play. 

Of what games? I can't think that TSB and its NFL players would be on any list

I haven't seen anything official stating there will be online play for NES and SNES titles. I've seen a lot of people misinterpreting what was said in regards to free NES/SNES titles being available to play if you pay for their subscription service. Nintendo does not have the best (or any, really) track record of supporting any amount of halfway decent online play, so I don't see why they would start now.

It looks like there will be online play on NES and SNES games. This has the potential to be insanely sweet, but Nintendo has not unveiled the all the info about the virtual console yet. I am reading between the lines and thinking the reason for this is that it is going to be more rubust than it was on the Wii and Wii U. Excited.

2 hours ago, DT. said:

It looks like there will be online play on NES and SNES games. This has the potential to be insanely sweet, but Nintendo has not unveiled the all the info about the virtual console yet. I am reading between the lines and thinking the reason for this is that it is going to be more rubust than it was on the Wii and Wii U. Excited.

He forgot to mention a small fact here.... just that he WORKS FOR NINTENDO!

Indeed. I have access to more information than most, but I still don't know shit. There is supposed to be a big virtual console announcement coming shortly.... I'm not gonna mention that other thing we talked about Dave.... just yet....................

2 hours ago, DT. said:

Indeed. I have access to more information than most, but I still don't know shit. There is supposed to be a big virtual console announcement coming shortly.... I'm not gonna mention that other thing we talked about Dave.... just yet....................

Ok, fine. I'll keep it on the DL. I showed you mine, you showed me yours.

The new Zelda game is getting its dick sucked across all reviewers. The metacritic score is unbelievably high. I'm happy, because I love Zelda. The original Zelda might be to sole reason why I love video games as much as I do. This new release game looks astonishing, no doubt, but to also back that up with what people are calling the greatest game in a generation, console defining, and genre breaking is a hell of a follow up series of statements. I'm so saddened by the fact that it is unlikely I play this game for a very long time. There is absolutely no way I will be investing in Nintendo hardware ever again. They haven't proven an ability to acquire serious 3rd party developer support since the Super Nintendo, and it's only gone downhill from there (despite the original Wii's "popularity" because of its peripherals). I don't expect much from the Switch support, either.

Some day, when a Switch is laying in a bargain bin somewhere for $100 (sooner than you might think), then I'll pick it up purely to play this latest Zelda game.

Edited by Maynard_G_Krebs

1 hour ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

The new Zelda game is getting its dick sucked across all reviewers. The metacritic score is unbelievably high. I'm happy, because I love Zelda. The original Zelda might be to sole reason why I love video games as much as I do. This new release game looks astonishing, no doubt, but to also back that up with what people are calling the greatest game in a generation, console defining, and genre breaking is a hell of a follow up series of statements. I'm so saddened by the fact that it is unlikely I play this game for a very long time. There is absolutely no way I will be investing in Nintendo hardware ever again. They haven't proven an ability to acquire serious 3rd party developer support since the Super Nintendo, and it's only gone downhill from there (despite the original Wii's "popularity" because of its peripherals). I don't expect much from the Switch support, either.

Some day, when a Switch is laying in a bargain bin somewhere for $100 (sooner than you might think), then I'll pick it up purely to play this latest Zelda game.

This reviewer had several complaints with the game, so not every reviewer is sucking Zelda's metaphorical ****.

To address your point about 3rd party support, I saw that companies such as Activision, EA, Ubisoft, Square Enix, Bethesda, and whoever makes NBA 2K are all making games for the system. So the switch should have MUCH better 3rd party support than the Wii U had. Of course, I'm going to buy it anyways, so maybe I'm just trying to justify dropping 300 on a system. 

36 minutes ago, buck said:

re zelda:

quest log?  marks on map?  what is this, a game for 6 year olds?

Actually, I always thought that these things were for older players (like my dad). The reason he stopped playing video games was because they became too complex. 

I just think that map markers and quest guides make a game too easy and predictable, takes away the thrill of finding shit out on your own.  

but regarding length of games - the hours people are expected to log in (to a spoon-fed gaming experience) are ridiculous.  I don't have time to sit in front of a TV for hours at a time.  

but if I was going to sit in front of a TV for hours day after day I would not want to know every quest that I am or am not doing, where everything is located, and all that kind of shit that a real man should be able to figure out in a real video game.

11 hours ago, PockyCandy said:

This reviewer had several complaints with the game, so not every reviewer is sucking Zelda's metaphorical ****.

I can't take this guy's voice and annunciation. This may be shallow of me but I cannot watch this. lol sry

9 hours ago, davefmurray said:

I can't take this guy's voice and annunciation. This may be shallow of me but I cannot watch this. lol sry

I have a friend who talks like that, so I didn't mind his voice too much. 

To Buck: you could always ignore the quest log if you wanted to. I've played my fair share of skyrim, and I didn't even know that there was a quest log until months after I started playing it. It is more fun to figure out what you're supposed to do by yourself. 

Also, I'd rather spend an hour or two a day playing a video game that I enjoy, rather than watching crappy network TV like some people I know. 

1 hour ago, PockyCandy said:

Also, I'd rather spend an hour or two a day playing a video game that I enjoy, rather than watching crappy network TV like some people I know. 

I've definitely been on a gaming kick for the last year. I've really enjoyed it. To supplement that experience, I'd have to have the kind of lifestyle necessary to provide me the time. To wit:

No kids; don't want any.

Little TV watching; don't care.

No theatre; not currently interested.

No projects; started a new job recently and my 10-6 time spent in my working brain is enough.

That being said, I need to make more time for working out. I recently turned 37, and my body has long since forgot about what a natural metabolism is.

All of this adds up to having the kind of time to play some video games, and I fucken love it. I've been playing The Division lately, and the game is fun as fuck.

23 minutes ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

I've definitely been on a gaming kick for the last year. I've really enjoyed it. To supplement that experience, I'd have to have the kind of lifestyle necessary to provide me the time. To wit:

No kids; don't want any.

Little TV watching; don't care.

No theatre; not currently interested.

No projects; started a new job recently and my 10-6 time spent in my working brain is enough.

All of this adds up to having the kind of time play some video games, and I fucken love it. 

I actually don't have the time for that at the moment. I've got a job and schoolwork to fill my time. But when school is over for the semester, I'll probably play a lot of video games. 

I'm interested in the SWITCH.  haven't bought a console since ps2 since I can't really sit down and play games anymore with kids/life.   Would love if switch got some sports games though.

22 hours ago, PockyCandy said:

To address your point about 3rd party support, I saw that companies such as Activision, EA, Ubisoft, Square Enix, Bethesda, and whoever makes NBA 2K are all making games for the system. So the switch should have MUCH better 3rd party support than the Wii U had. Of course, I'm going to buy it anyways, so maybe I'm just trying to justify dropping 300 on a system. 

All of those companies are developing for the Switch, yes. But don't expect the same titles that they make for PS4 Pro, Xbox One S (or the upcoming 'Scorpion' for that matter). There's no two ways about it that the Switch, while super powerful for a tablet, is way under-powered to play even the current triple-A games. There's a reason why Bethesda was asked to port over Skyrim to Switch--a five year old game, because that's about what the Switch can handle.

Unless every developer chooses to go the route of a small framework architecture for their Switch games (think Rocket League), or by using Nintendo's cartoony style (which helps on polygon count processing), or release versions of the games made specifically for the lower powered Switch console, you're never going to see contemporary titles on the same systems. It's just physically not possible.

That being said, Nintendo hasn't relied on true 3rd party support since the early 90s. I don't think they give a fuck, TBH, because their own IPs can sellout console inventories if done right. All they need is a good Pokemon game and people will buy an entire console just for that--not so different than Zelda or Mario in that way.