Changing a defenisive player from 2 pt stance to 3 pt stance (possible?)

5 minutes ago, bruddog said:

I know i saw that.  I was just wondering if there was an easy way to do it.  For example, find a hex location and change it.  I was reading the playbook editing threads and it seems there is something along the lines of "EA" means 3 point stance, but im an idiot and didnt really quite understand it or how to apply it to my situation.

6 hours ago, TheProfessional said:

I know i saw that.  I was just wondering if there was an easy way to do it.  For example, find a hex location and change it.  I was reading the playbook editing threads and it seems there is something along the lines of "EA" means 3 point stance, but im an idiot and didnt really quite understand it or how to apply it to my situation.

no super easy-way.  must go into the rom defensive code and change each ROLB and LOLB code.  once you get there it's as easy as changing one byte, but there will be multiple instances to change.

each individual defensive player has his position, stance, and behavior for almost every single play.

2 hours ago, buck said:

no super easy-way.  must go into the rom defensive code and change each ROLB and LOLB code.  once you get there it's as easy as changing one byte, but there will be multiple instances to change.

each individual defensive player has his position, stance, and behavior for almost every single play.

I see....i have to change each and every single play. 

So i've been trying to digest all the information on here about hacking and editing this game.  I've been reading the jstout thread about 4-3 defense.  You had mentioned there are 2 sections of offense and 2 sections of defense.  here's what jstout replied with:

He said:

"If the plays are merely reordered with no design changes then nothing with the playbook needs to be copied. If there are design changes then the locations are x4010-xC00F and x44010-x4C00F. The offense is x4010-x500F and x8010-xA00F with the equivalent x44010-x4500F and x48010-x4A00F. The defense is x6010-x800F and xA010-xC00F with the equivalent x46010-x4800F and x4A010-x4C00F. Obviously you'd need to change the code in the 43 section to produce the 43 defense.

I'm still looking if there is an easy way to patch this for any rom with no play design changes. At the moment, I can get a generic IPS that would require one copy and paste with a hex editor but nothing too hard.

Attached is the info I used to create the 43 defense as well as the original play design. Using the included CC65 programs, a nes file gets created that is pasted into the rom. This also may be helpful to anyone that edits plays. I can help make some sense of the info if needed."

So, would it be correct to assume id have to edit both sections of defense?

Also if im changing the bytes in a hex editor...  I read the defense instructions start at A010.  Is that where i need to start?  

Sorry for all the questions.  Just trying to learn about how to code the game.  i find it very interesting. 

also, and this is KEY - if you are using the 4-3 expanded rom, you need to make your changes in other places than the usual ones (listed above)....I do not know these locations, but bruddog does.

but like tecmonster says, once you find the place you need to be, just find (search and find) the beginning string of each ROLB and LOLB sequence and change the appropriate byte.  I would do all ROLB sequences first, then go back and do LOLB.

this may sound hard, but it will probably take you like 10 minutes at most.  I have done this sort of grinding thing countless times, and to be a TSB hacker you need to have the nuts to tackle something like this.  you have the nuts.  you can do it.

19 hours ago, bruddog said:

@TheProfessional What rom are you starting from/wanting to modify? Are you trying to make all teams 4-3? If not its easier to just modify which teams are/aren't ion the 3-4,4-3 rom so you don't have to go through and change every defender since that rom has done that already.

Im using cxrom's 32 team rom v1.05 as my starting point.

Im not looking to make all the teams 4-3.  And you're right it would be easier to use jstout's rom and just change the bytes to the teams i want.  But id rather just change the stance of the outside linebacker.

My reasoning is that jstout had to change the way the line blocks.  And id rather have a game as close to the original as possible (gameplay wise) and just tweak things to make it better.

Also, ive always been interested in hacking and modding things.  Im too stupid to actually make any changes, but i know just enough where i can follow directions and poke around in a hex editor. 

Edited by TheProfessional

51 minutes ago, TheProfessional said:

Im not looking to make all the teams 4-3.  And you're right it would be easier to use jstout's rom and just change the bytes to the teams i want.  But id rather just change the stance of the outside linebacker.

just to be clear though: if you change the stance of the outside LB, that's a change that affects all teams, so all teams will then be in that hybrid 4-3 (with one outside LB from the Tecmo standard 3-4 defense sitting in a 3 point stance . . . linebacker by position but lineman by stance).