Has anyone thought of a way to make a career mode?

RatedRKO

I was thinking I could start with the initial rosters and go from there. The "AI" (me) after the season would draft the rookies and retire the veterans (delete players that really retired, introduce the rookies). I haven't thought of a way to use progression, maybe I just won't. Probably won't trade or try to attempt a salary cap.

Has anyone had success doing this sort of thing? Or could point me to tools that would help? TIA

If you're into online leagues, there are a number of progression leagues that follow this very concept. Many of them have come and gone, but currently for example World Tecmo Federation follows what you described to a T. A bit of a different implementation with who is available to draft each season seeing as previous iterations of the league have gone up to about 2025 and stopped. There are also other progression leagues out there if you go digging.

If online play isn't your thing, then you can always edit attributes and players manually.

I have been playing around with this for awhile now.  I have qbs done.  It takes the season stats and they get a point value based on yards, qbr, comp %,ext...then that number gets taken times a random decimal and added to a state. And the does this for each attribute that affects the qb.  The number gets added to the given stat and if it is enough to go up to the next tier of state valueot goes up. If not it saves that number and can be added to it after the next year's stats to get to the next tier.  Or go down.  I will look and post if the file if you are interested.

1 hour ago, buchos said:

I have been playing around with this for awhile now.  I have qbs done.  It takes the season stats and they get a point value based on yards, qbr, comp %,ext...then that number gets taken times a random decimal and added to a state. And the does this for each attribute that affects the qb.  The number gets added to the given stat and if it is enough to go up to the next tier of state valueot goes up. If not it saves that number and can be added to it after the next year's stats to get to the next tier.  Or go down.  I will look and post if the file if you are interested.

Yes, I am very interested. This is also how I was going to do progression. Is there a way you take age into account to make sure the players regress as they age and improve more when they're younger? 

31 minutes ago, buchos said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tKezQv86V-GSTZWQG0G-JJeKtTnVhGeZkD31SgeGn4A/edit?usp=drivesdk

Here is the Google sheet.  It is a just a start, but hopefully you can understand my thought process.

I understand the idea, but what you actually did is what I don't understand. As for age, why not add/delete that to the ran #? You could sort all players by age and make sure the youngest got a bonus for their ran # and the oldest got a penalty against their ran #. If that makes sense... 

That is a good idea.  My original thought behind the rand # was sometimes guys have huge years, but really don't get any better after that, so there is a chance your stats would not go up much, even with a good season.  That way there is still a chance guys don't max out in a few years by just focusing on them.  Like I said though this is just a start. I would be willing to change or add anything if it would work and people could us it.

23 hours ago, buchos said:

That is a good idea.  My original thought behind the rand # was sometimes guys have huge years, but really don't get any better after that, so there is a chance your stats would not go up much, even with a good season.  That way there is still a chance guys don't max out in a few years by just focusing on them.  Like I said though this is just a start. I would be willing to change or add anything if it would work and people could us it.

I'd be willing to discuss it. I'm totally game. I've always wanted to take the original 1991 rosters, do watcher seasons (or pick a team and play) and work up til today. Have a nice fantasy league going with the greatest football game of all-time.

I agree with your thought process. An example would be a guy like Joe Flacco. Came into the league as a stud and hasn't improved much since being a rookie, but has put up good numbers. I think the ran works, you just need to account for age somehow. 

Where I seem to get stuck when i was working on this a while back, was how much do you need to reward, punish players based on stats.  I remember working on the formulas for the RB and gave up because i could not come up with a nice balance.

I think the age part would be an easy formula to add in ,  speed decreases as they get older(I know not always true, Darrell Green), but look at Peyton and Brad, both have aged differently, Peyton's arm was dead last year, and Brady is still the Best QB in the Game.  Those little things would be what makes including age difficult in my opinion.  But if it is just a decrease based on years played then that would not be nearly as difficult if we had them all decrease the same.  ??thoughts?

I would make almost all of the improvement random or random based on the players "draft spot". If you tie it to stats you get a positive feedback loop where the good players will keep getting better and better. 

Speed definitely declines a tiny bit with age but the bigger issue is usually all the  injuries start adding up or they become more likely to have a major injury that they can't come back from/ drastically reduces their skills.  

On 1/5/2017 at 9:39 AM, buchos said:

Where I seem to get stuck when i was working on this a while back, was how much do you need to reward, punish players based on stats.  I remember working on the formulas for the RB and gave up because i could not come up with a nice balance.

I think the age part would be an easy formula to add in ,  speed decreases as they get older(I know not always true, Darrell Green), but look at Peyton and Brad, both have aged differently, Peyton's arm was dead last year, and Brady is still the Best QB in the Game.  Those little things would be what makes including age difficult in my opinion.  But if it is just a decrease based on years played then that would not be nearly as difficult if we had them all decrease the same.  ??thoughts?

Maybe take something from Madden and assign potential.

A potential - 1st Round picks
B - 2nd & 3rd
C - 4th & 5th

D - 6th & 7th
F - Undrafted

So the random number you'd choose would be greater depending on draft position.

I'd just make everything decline unless there's some general intelligence/IQ/awareness rating, that should go up with time (can't remember if this is in Tecmo or not, guessing not)

Peak age for all positions would be 30 and the decline would start after 30. Brady would be an extremely rare case, one that would be tough to simulate. 

Runningbacks would be different. Their peak age would probably be something like 26-27.