(NES) Tecmo Grey Cup 2016

chris99

Tecmo Grey Cup 2016

Thanks to Buck and Bruddog TECMO GREY CUP 2016 IS HERE!!! This year's version has tremendous upgrades and improvements.

Using GRG's base CFL ROM (with Pambazos88 added Ottawa Redblacks graphics), Buck, Bruddog and I have completed this year's version of Tecmo Grey Cup.

Buck did a ton of the difficult work. Buck fixed all of the graphics, removed the halftime stats, and redid the playbooks to give offense formations continuity and competitive COM. He also gave the Pro Bowl a makeover as he coded the 2016 CFL all-star team, and the 2016 NFL all-star team, and gave them proper playbooks as well as replacing references to AFC-NFL with CFL-NFL. There is even an easter egg to change the players of the NFL all-star team to the 1991 TSB all-stars. He lessened the kickoff minimum and maximum distance by 5 yards. Buck also added a hack for directional punting which I think is fantastic. 

Bruddog stepped in and provided a major major upgrade when he fixed the safety glitch. The end zones were increased to 20 yards which stops shotgun plays near your own end zone of automatically becoming a safety. This fix worked two-fold, as the real CFL end zones are 20 yards. Not only did this fix the safety glitch but it's more accurate, and now you have so much more freedom to call plays when you are in the red zone which is just like the real CFL. You can still throw a fly route from the 1 yard line!!!

I updated the rosters to reflect the 2016 CFL rosters at end of season. I modified both player and team sim settings to reflect the 2016 season. 

Buck and I decided to release the game both with Regular and Max Juice versions. I personally love the Max Juice version as with only 3 downs the field position battle feels very true to the real CFL game you see on TV. However, that mode is certainly difficult and not for novice players so the regular version is also included for those that need it or just think it's more fun. 

Enjoy Tecmo Grey Cup 2016!!!

Key Features:

3 downs

110 yard field

20 yard end zones

FG posts at front of end zones

Directional punting

6 team playoff using accurate CFL crossover wild card system

2016 rosters

CFL vs NFL (replacing Pro Bowl)

TECMO GREY CUP 2016version3.jpg

Play testing and I am loving this new version so far. There do seem to be a couple bugs I noticed: 

1. Teams seem to punt on 3rd down when inside the opponent's 5 yard line. 

2. You can catch touchdowns after you are way past the back of the end zone. 

44 minutes ago, SBlueman said:

Play testing and I am loving this new version so far. There do seem to be a couple bugs I noticed: 

1. Teams seem to punt on 3rd down when inside the opponent's 5 yard line. 

2. You can catch touchdowns after you are way past the back of the end zone. 

I didn't know about #2, but hopefully #1 will be fixed next year.  That requires a bit of deciphering COM logic and stuff like that takes time, for me.  feel free to try and fix them, though.

1 hour ago, bruddog said:

Do the players actually run into the grass past the endzone? I didn't notice that problem in testing it

I've seen them catch it while running out the back of the endzone but I haven't seen somebody catch it after. To me it looked like they had two feet down. lol

Just now, buck said:

I've seen kind of a half in half out diving/sliding catch.  two feet were in.  it was sweet.

Yup I've seen the same thing, and I thought it looked pretty damn sweet as well. I really haven't seen one caught out of the end zone yet but it might be possible. Sounds like SBlueman might have been able to do it. 

47 minutes ago, SBlueman said:

Amazing work on this version everyone. Tons of fun and with the 20 yard end zones the game really feels like a true CFL game. The glitches are minor and I am in no way complaining. This is the CFL tecmo-ized right. 

I totally agree. This is a Tecmo Christmas miracle!!! lol

The Tecmo Grey Cup ROM is getting close to a perfect game in my opinion. I can't do any coding or hacking so I'm not tooting my own horn. Pretty amazing what Buck and Bruddog did to improve the game this year. Let's not forget all the work GRG did to build the base CFL rom and Pamblozas88 for assisting me last year and adding in the Redblacks design. There is no way this ROM would have continued without one of the teams so that was critical. 

I have 3 dreams for next year's ROM:

1) CPU fg glitch solved inside the 5 yd line (doesn't happen often)

2) 1 pt Rouge (this is the last remaining component of the CFL that isn't in the game. All touchbacks are 1 pt for the kicking team in the CFL. You can actually return missed FG's in the CFL but I don't see anyway to code that. The kickoffs don't make it to the end zone so we don't need any changes there. It's really just punting. Is there a way to turn off the automatic touchback on Punt Returns? If there is we could then have any tackle in the end zone on a punt be a touchback so the kicking team gets the 1 point. I'm not worried about ones that sail out of the end zone as if you are that close with a 20 yard end zone you should be kicking a FG for 3 pts. And in the CFL you would get a point for booting it through the end zone anyway so it's still realistic in that scenario if somebody did want to punt for 1 pt. The 1 pt Rouge is a cool feature of the CFL. I know nothing about coding so it sounds possible to me, yet it really might not be doable so perhaps just a pipe dream.

3) last for me is the passing out of the end zone glitch as I haven't had it happen without trying to do it. And this minor glitch removed the major safety glitch so I'll take that exchange any day.

So many people have worked on this ROM over the years that perhaps collectively these issues can be figured out. If not I'm still happy. I think this ROM meets my standards of what I wanted when I started pushing for a CFL rom years ago. 

With those 3 things I would say that Tecmo Grey Cup would essentially be perfect. 

As is, I would say it's pretty damn good. It feels like CFL football to me and I am a fan of the CFL 

• chris99 changed the title to (NES) Tecmo Grey Cup 2016
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I plan on updating the ROM again if there is interest. I haven't started it yet. I can never tell if other people really use the CFL roms or if I'm just making it for myself lol. I see some people advertising the 2 pt conversion for Tecmo 18 on facebook. Do you know if that is now possible to have added? 

On 8/13/2017 at 7:15 PM, chris99 said:

I plan on updating the ROM again if there is interest. I haven't started it yet. I can never tell if other people really use the CFL roms or if I'm just making it for myself lol. I see some people advertising the 2 pt conversion for Tecmo 18 on facebook. Do you know if that is now possible to have added? 

commercial interests prohibit such hacks to be revealed to common men.

lol.  no shit.

but I would play the rom if you made it.

Edited by buck

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...