Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BO FB Offtackle Left

Pro Football Focus

10 posts in this topic

It's kind of gratifying that some of us who frequent this forum were using Pro Football Focus in its first few years before anyone had ever heard of it to rate roms, and now announcers on nationally televised games quote their stats. When the site was totally free it was fun participating in the forum there and actually getting to have conversations with the creators. Anyone here have a paid subscription there?

Not really worth it once the only type of stats the public can subscribe too aren't really very good. 

Collinsworth will push the stats whenever he can because he is one of the major owners/investors now. 

10 minutes ago, bruddog said:

Not really worth it once the only type of stats the public can subscribe too aren't really very good. 

Collinsworth will push the stats whenever he can because he is one of the major owners/investors now. 

You don't get all the stats they have when you pay? That kind of sucks if true. Didn't know Collinsworth was an investor. Oh well. I miss when it was free lol.

Unless they have changed it agaon recently no you dont. 

This was so they could charge a mega price to the big boys (teams, major media)

I know getting all the stats takes time and effort for the various companies.... But... IMHO .... Some of the price schemes of not just PFF but most of the stats sites.... Are ridiculous... I'm sorry... But there's no ways I'm paying $50+ just to get the number of blocks thrown by the olines , or the number of yards after contact. (Qf the only two stats missing for me to make a 'stat' based rating system;))

I would caution TSB rom makers using these types of sites solely to make their TSB roms.  if your aim is "reality" and accurately portraying the NFL's team "landscape" and performances.  (the winning teams are good in TSB and the losing teams are bad in TSB.)

because the sum of the players "rankings" will not always correspond with how good (win loss) a team actually is.   heck, pro bowl and sometimes even all-pro team rankings will skew "reality" (see arizona cardinals defense).

if you rank/rate a TSB team/player according to the way PFF and other "ranking" sites rank players, you will end up with problems.  for example:  a sub 500 team being better (in your TSB rom) than the team that wins the super bowl.  or other discrepancies.

and then you gotta ask why is this "bad in real life" team better than the "best team in the league" (in your TSB rom)?  if your only answer is, "well, PFF ranked them that way.", then that is irresponsible rom making and you might as well let PFF or some other person make the TSB rom.

ok for general ideas, when you are unsure of a player, but the real life performance of football teams - and especially TSB teams - will not always correspond with the sum of their PFF (or other "ranking" site's) individual player rankings.....in my opinion and experience.

Edited by buck

4 hours ago, buck said:

I would caution TSB rom makers using these types of sites solely to make their TSB roms.  if your aim is "reality" and accurately portraying the NFL's team "landscape" and performances.  (the winning teams are good in TSB and the losing teams are bad in TSB.)

because the sum of the players "rankings" will not always correspond with how good (win loss) a team actually is.   heck, pro bowl and sometimes even all-pro team rankings will skew "reality" (see arizona cardinals defense).

if you rank/rate a TSB team/player according to the way PFF and other "ranking" sites rank players, you will end up with problems.  for example:  a sub 500 team being better (in your TSB rom) than the team that wins the super bowl.  or other discrepancies.

and then you gotta ask why is this "bad in real life" team better than the "best team in the league" (in your TSB rom)?  if your only answer is, "well, PFF ranked them that way.", then that is irresponsible rom making and you might as well let PFF or some other person make the TSB rom.

ok for general ideas, when you are unsure of a player, but the real life performance of football teams - and especially TSB teams - will not always correspond with the sum of their PFF (or other "ranking" site's) individual player rankings.....in my opinion and experience.

There are a whole host of reasons of why teams are end up with bad records vs the players they have..(bad coaching, injuries, tough/easy schedule, Turnover luck, Field goal luck)

But it all depends on how the rom maker wants to go about making their rom. If they want to make sure the team will always play like their record then they can subjectively adjust the players down. 

Individual stats are just one aspect. I didn't see anyone saying they would use individual stats exclusively. Whatever method I used, I always factored in win-loss records, total offense, and total defense. Individual stats are most useful to determine who the best players are within a given team, but sometimes not so useful for global ratings throughout the league. For example, if the league leader in passing (whatever your metric in measuring passing is) is on a SB team they might get 75pc, but if the league leader in passing is on a 7-9 team they might only get 63pc. 

So the overall player grades are $20 per year but there is no context to them really at all. You get one overall number 

Like for a DB you would get

an overall grade

coverage grade

run defense grade

pass rush grade

run snaps 

pass snaps

I guess the premium stats are available now for $249 per month but you get no publishing rights.